Flow

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I do have a mjaor question regarding this episode: is there any justification for Pinkie's "pestering" Cranky?

Because pinkie pie. :P.

Honestly thats pretty much why, Shes Pinkie and shes friends with Everypony, so the fact she wasn't friends with someone is very alien to her and that brings her to try even more.

Besides it turns out to be good in the end, and she meant well for it all anyways.

I'd say its justified.

Honestly thats pretty much why, Shes Pinkie and shes friends with Everypony, so the fact she wasn't friends with someone is very alien to her and that brings her to try even more.

Besides it turns out to be good in the end, and she meant well for it all anyways.

I'd say its justified.

I'd say its justified.

I guess that seems fair enough.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FINALLY I GET IT! I always hear bronies rave about the smile song, but for the longest time I just didn't like it that much. The first time I heard it, it seemed a bit shallow, like she just wants everyone to ignore their problems and put on a happy face. But of course she ends up proving that wrong in the episode by solving Cranky's problem to make him happy. And I didn't like the episode itself that much either, since it really could have ended badly if Pinkie didn't have a photographic memory. So I only ever listened to it one more time I think. But this has happened with many other songs in the series as well, where I thought they were just ok at first, but after a few more listenings I can't believe how good they are.

I think the residual feels from watching Snowdrop earlier helped too.

So... the melody is beautiful in its simplicity, and the instrumentals are lovely as well. Especially the mandolin, which brings to mind MandoPony. And imagining the whole brony community as the friends in the song. The amount of interconnected love and happiness all over the world that this community generates is just off the scale. Then the songs gets to "fill my heart up with sunshine, sunshine", and I'm pretty much melted into a puddle of this

post-9686-0-81555700-1364042319_thumb.jpg

Amazing how differently a song can affect you depending on your mindset when listening to it.

The comedy bits in the episode are funnier than I remembered as well :) "This donkey is really really bald!"

Edited by dekutree64

• 1 month later...

Another one  up there with the greats. Pinkie Pie is a GREAT and very deep character and this helps so much in trying to find out into that complex brain of hers - guys stop laughing - it's true.

I think Pinkie Pie hides her sadness and possibly guilt? From the empty sad world of her childhood into making friends. She goes obsessive over it, which isn't bad, so when someone refuses her friendship or ignores her like in Party of One, she just can't take it. She wants everypony to smile. She truly does.

Greatest mlp song ever, I have it on my nano.

Also, when you get to the sad part of the song, when Pinkie pulls herself out of the dumps - foreshowing for Too Many Pinkie Pies.

Another one  up there with the greats. Pinkie Pie is a GREAT and very deep character and this helps so much in trying to find out into that complex brain of hers - guys stop laughing - it's true.

I think Pinkie Pie hides her sadness and possibly guilt? From the empty sad world of her childhood into making friends. She goes obsessive over it, which isn't bad, so when someone refuses her friendship or ignores her like in Party of One, she just can't take it. She wants everypony to smile. She truly does.

Greatest mlp song ever, I have it on my nano.

Also, when you get to the sad part of the song, when Pinkie pulls herself out of the dumps - foreshowing for Too Many Pinkie Pies.

That's just Pinkie Pie being Pinkie Pie!

And I agree about the song, it's SOOO AWESOME!

• 5 weeks later...

oh man i love this episode ...LOVE mainly because it has the smile song i listen to that song whenever i fell sad :P

and it has the welcome song aswell

Ah, the episode with my favorite song in MLP: FiM. This as a really nice episode and it made me really like Pinkie Pie. A person who enjoys helping others is a friend of mine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I know this episode has kept us bronies divided for the following reasons:

1. Some fans think that Pinkie's "stalking" behavior toward Cranky was uncalled for and unnecessary.

2. Pinkie ignores Twilight's "advice": "I know this is hard for you, Pinkie, seeing that you're friends with everypony, but you just have to accept that Cranky is gonna be an exception. He just... doesn't want to be bothered."

3. The ending with Cranky and Matilda reunited regarded by some as "ultra-contrived".

4. The idea of pestering somebody long enough till they're your friends interpreted from this episode.

Is anybody willing to defend this episode and the reasons that I've mentioned?

One defense I myself could point out, though, is that Cranky banishing Pinkie from his property after she accidentally ruining his scrapbook was more or less an overreaction, so I can't say I blame Pinkie entirely for his getting upset. I'd hold Cranky responsible for it as well. Well?

1. Some fans think that Pinkie's "stalking" behavior toward Cranky was uncalled for and unnecessary.

Very true. It was a bit stalkerish

2. Pinkie ignores Twilight's "advice": "I know this is hard for you, Pinkie, seeing that you're friends with everypony, but you just have to accept that Cranky is gonna be an exception. He just... doesn't want to be bothered."

She ignores the conventional and smart advice and pushed on

3. The ending with Cranky and Matilda reunited regarded by some as "ultra-contrived".

Nah not really. Pinkie was paying attention and put two and two together.. While he was pushing her way she hung on there. If anything its contrived its that the episode is basically a re-write of the plot to the movie UP.

4. The idea of pestering somebody long enough till they're your friends interpreted from this episode.

Not very likely but as Pinkie proved such things are possible. By listening even when someone is trying their darndest to push you away and still making efforts to be nice sometimes you will smash through those final barriers of resistance.

I know this episode has kept us bronies divided for the following reasons: 1. Some fans think that Pinkie's "stalking" behavior toward Cranky was uncalled for and unnecessary. 2. Pinkie ignores Twilight's "advice": "I know this is hard for you, Pinkie, seeing that you're friends with everypony, but you just have to accept that Cranky is gonna be an exception. He just... doesn't want to be bothered." 3. The ending with Cranky and Matilda reunited regarded by some as "ultra-contrived". 4. The idea of pestering somebody long enough till they're your friends interpreted from this episode. Is anybody willing to defend this episode and the reasons that I've mentioned? One defense I myself could point out, though, is that Cranky banishing Pinkie from his property after she accidentally ruining his scrapbook was more or less an overreaction, so I can't say I blame Pinkie entirely for his getting upset. I'd hold Cranky responsible for it as well. Well?

Hey there BlueEyedPegasus, just letting you know I merged your thread about this episode with our official episode thread, for opinions on specific episodes should be kept to their own threads. Thanks for your understanding. :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hey there BlueEyedPegasus, just letting you know I merged your thread about this episode with our official episode thread, for opinions on specific episodes should be kept to their own threads. Thanks for your understanding. smile.png

You're welcome. smile.png

Nah not really. Pinkie was paying attention and put two and two together.. While he was pushing her way she hung on there. If anything its contrived its that the episode is basically a re-write of the plot to the movie UP.

Not very likely but as Pinkie proved such things are possible. By listening even when someone is trying their darndest to push you away and still making efforts to be nice sometimes you will smash through those final barriers of resistance.

Well, even if it was, I'm pretty sure it was unintentional. I know Pinkie meant to show a good heart, so that's forgivable.

Sounds kinda mixed, if you ask me. When you think about it, Twilight and Rainbow had no idea that Pinkie ruining Cranky's scrapbook was an accident, so you might say Twilight's advice was a bit out of line.

Somehow, I just don't really view it as that, even if there are similarities.

I can't really tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Can you please explain in more detail?

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus

(edited)

Here's something I recently added to the Fridge Brilliance page on TV Tropes:

Some fans might be calling Pinkie out for her constantly 'pestering' Cranky until he became her friend, but when you think about it, the way they became friends in the end had absolutely nothing to do with her so-called "stalking" behavior or her 'pestering'. Add the fact that Pinkie ruining his scrapbook was an accident to which Cranky harshly overreacted and that Twilight and Rainbow Dash had no idea about to begin with with the fact that Pinkie did eventually find out that Matilda could really cheer him up and see that in spite of her peculiar ways and later her constant apologizing, this episode actually delivers a more family-friendly Accidental Aesop: loners really need something more to be happy, and it takes plenty of trial and error for anyone who senses any good in them to figure out what it is.

Anybody agree?

Edited by BlueEyedPegasus

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

This episode seems to be Pinkie Pie's episode of glory. I didn't quite get to watch it the whole way, as there was copyright issues with Hasbro on the video, which I start to see a lot in the later episodes. 

I liked the song in there though. It was awesome.

Edited by Rainbow P.F. Sparkle

I re-watched this episode today on a reaction-video (a video recording of everypony's reactions in the bronystate chat) haha and I must say that the episode is better now than I thought it was when I first watched it. Maybe it's because I sang along loudly during Smile Smile Smile but the whole episode overall was very... happy. And weird. I still don't understand why Pinkie Pie told everypony that CDD did not have any hair.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

"A Friend in Deed" is in fact my favorite episode. I believe it really shows the best of Pinkie Pie. It depicted her love of happiness and her joy in making everyone just smile and look to the bright side of everything. The episode ultimately described the greatest attributes of Pinkie Pie and plus it featured perhaps her best solo song. ^_^

Her voice is just so amazing, and her expressions and just the way she acted whilst singing was so funny and cute that I couldn't help but smile greatly myself. ^_^

I rolf-ed at all the attempts Pinkie Pie made in trying to cheer up Crank Doodle Donkey. I mean her efforts were just so sweet and light-hearted, but at the same time they were hilarious!

LOL at the end! ^_^

I began to feel bad for her though when she wasn't getting any luck in befriending CDD at first. I was pretty much just thinking, "Dude...why do you have to be so mean?" She's Pinkie Pie for crying out loud! I'd befriend her in a heartbeat. ^_^

Seriously, all she wanted to do was help him out and be one of his only friends. And my gosh just the very fact of that is so sweet and adorable! She never once gave up either.

So that just clearly shows how hard she tries to befriend one another and spreading her cheeriness around. 

Towards the ending of the episode, I was just amazed at the great lengths Pinkie Pie went to earn the Donkey's friendship. She brought back his old and once forgotten love back into his life! That's epic! 

In the end Pinkie Pie succeeded. ^_^

And you know what? It just goes to show: one simply cannot be just friends with Pinkie Pie. ;)

This episode really bumped Pinkie Pie up the ranks in terms of my favorite ponies. Her smile song, in my opinion, is the best song in the series thus far. I can relate to Cranky, and have a good friend that is very much like Pinkie Pie who really had to push to become my friend. Not to the extent of Pinkie, but she never gave up. I think I'll go watch it again now.

The past few mornings I have been playing Smile Smile Smile when I get home and go to a happy place before I go to sleep.

Edited by Geminii

• 2 weeks later...

The smile song in this episode is just golden, it gives us a delve into the mind of that one pony, pinkie pie. It tells us that she loves to make other ponies smile and it is what she lives for, to make others happy, which is nice. And it explains all of this in a catchy song that with a few full listens you will know the song off by heart, and who could forget the welcome song. This pinkie pie episode was one of the best in the season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favourite part is when pinkie decides to leave CDD alone, of which Twilight nods in approoval AFTER he accepts her appology and which point twilight just facepalms the desk.