Flow

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

Smile.  It's a simple enough of a word.  It's a pretty straightforward concept.  The corners of your mouth turn up when you feel happy, elated, get a chuckle, etc.  Most of the time we don't think twice about it when we do it.  But in MLP, a show that by this point in its canon had already redefined for many of its viewers the measure we held for friendship in our own lives, "A Friend in Deed" took the simplest of friendly gestures, making someone smile, and turned it on its head, showing viewers how that simple act of kindness and friendship alone can mean all the world to both the person smiling and likewise the person responsible for said smile.  So come on everypony, put on a big smile, smile, smile, and let's take a look at "A Friend in Deed", an episode which, in my opinion, while certainly not the first episode that qualified MLP as something that was undeniably special, was possibly the show's big proclamation to the world, not just bronies but anybody who was listening, that it was awesome, it knew it, it loved everything about itself and the messages it preached, and it wasn't about to change a single thing! derpy_emoticon1.png

So seeing as this is basically how the episode starts, after a couple of minutes of Pinkie Pie being her good ol' self of course, let's start by looking at Daniel Ingram's "Smile Song".  Simply put, "Smile" is... pure, unadulterated joy.  This song... my oh my, this song.  It's hard to express just how special this song is to me, and the important mark it's left on the fandom.  Yes, there have been plenty of songs in the show more unique, original, or musically interesting than "Smile": "At the Gala", "The Flim Flam Brothers", "This Day Aria", and many more.  But up until "A True, True Friend" debuted in "Magical Mystery Cure" at the end of Season 3, "Smile" held a special place in MLP canon, placing it in plenty of regards head and shoulders above any other song in the show.  It was, to be quite honest, for the brony fandom the anthem of the show; in less than three and a half minutes, this song perfectly encapsulated everything that makes MLP: FiM such a wonderful show to begin with.  Pure, sincere positivity, optimism, happiness, friendship, joy, laughter, and fellowship with anyone and everyone you could share those wonderful feelings with, these things all shine throughout "Smile".  Its joyful, upbeat tune and honest lyrics are, plain and simple, the best qualities that the show has to offer in a microcosm.  In my humble opinion, if you really want to convince someone that MLP: FiM is a show worth giving a chance at least, you might be actually better off showing them this song than you would showing any one episode even.  It is just that good and the only reason that I even hold "A True, True Friend" to be a better song than the "Smile Song" today is simply because "A True True Friend" achieves everything that "Smile" does, but as an ensemble involving the whole Mane 6, rather than just a solo sung by Pinkie Pie, but I tell you, that is literally all that separates the two in terms of quality.  It shall remain for all time one the high points of the show, a moment that any fan will always happily point to as one of their most memorable moments, maybe even the first time they realized just what a special show MLP: FiM really was, and for me, it's probably the scene I look forward to the most every time I rewatch this episode.  As far as any shows go, it's about as perfect a moment as you could possibly hope to encounter in even the best of television programs.  What more can you say other than smile, smile, smile? laugh.png

Big_Finish_to_song_S2E18.png

Come on now, be honest, you know damn well you can't help but smile when you listen to this song! vsTALhM.png  Don't fight the feels, embrace them!!! img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

OK, so now that that picture perfect moment is out of the way, what else is there to cover in this episode?  How 'bout Pinkie Pie... duh! derpy_emoticon2.png   Let me start by saying this; I do not think that this episode is possibly Pinkie's finest, her funniest, or even contains the most mature, complex lesson she's had in an episode.  There's a whole bevvy of episodes to which each of those respective titles could go to, and "A Friend in Deed" is, in my opinion, not one of them.  However, that being said, this episode does deserve one big laudation in its place in Pinkie Pie's canon, starring appearances; it is, in my opinion, the quintessential Pinkie Pie episode.  What do I mean by that?  Well, every one of the Mane 6 have in my opinion a quintessential episode, which by no means is necessarily their best episode; rather, a quintessential episode for a certain character is that episode which best encapsulates the best qualities that said character has to offer, what really makes them 'them'.  For Rarity, it's "Suited for Success", Rainbow Dash, "Sonic Rainboom", etc. (at least, in my opinion it is).  For Pinkie Pie, I don't think that any episode really highlights the best qualities that she has to offer, the laughter that she constantly enjoys spreading on a daily basis with as many ponies as possible and the smiles that she lives for seeing other ponies display each and every day, as "A Friend in Deed".  The "Smile song" is very much a big part of being responsible for this, but the rest of the episode is as well.  Pinkie's reaching out to Cranky Doodle Donkey shows how seriously she treats making other ponies and friends happy, that it's more than just impromptu parties and jokes.  Those are just the staples that usually work on a day-to-day basis, but when presented with an individual who is clearly profoundly depressed, someone who life has just worn down, does Ms. Pie bat an eye and hesitate once to help?  Buck no she doesn't!  Instead, she pours her all into trying everything she can possibly think of and figuring out just how she can put a smile on Cranky's face and become his friend.  That is, quite simply, Pinkie Pie when you get down to it, that is who she is, and this episode highlights those qualities and character traits that make her who she is so well that I cannot help but declare this to be her quintessential episode.  It may not have the most complex message in the world, or the most in-depth insight into every aspect of Pinkie's character, but there is no denying I think that no other episode so excellently realizes what makes Pinkie Pie such a special pony as "A Friend in Deed".

30846403.jpg

This episode in a nutshell. vsTALhM.png 

mlfw2987_large.jpg

OK, that's pretty accurate too. ph34r.png

Well, now that the two big talking points of the episode have been covered, let's wrap this review up by covering some last few highlights.  First, the comedy is gold; Pinkie Pie's her usual hyper-energetic self, and her chipper personality plays off of new character Cranky Doodle Donkey's grumpy old man attitude hilariously, resulting in some very memorable encounters and very Looney Tune-esque physical humor, even more explicit than in "Baby Cakes".  Crankey Doodle Donkey is a nice addition to the supporting character cast, and I especially enjoy that he's used to help Pinkie realize that you can still be true friends with someone even if you don't do that many activities together.  As long as two people hold true, sincere feelings for one another, they can be great friends, even if they don't display that affection publicly too often.  His true love Matilda is lovely as well, and really it was just nice seeing at this point that Studio B was clearly not going to shy away from adding new supporting characters to the show now that it was well established.  The animation, especially during "Smile" and some of the chase sequences, was quite impressive; not the most standout the show's ever had, but by this point in Season 2 it was clear that the animators at Studio B had become masters of Flash animation to the point that their normal stood head and shoulders above anybody else's Flash animations.  Finally, the lesson, while certainly not the most complex, is still quite lovely; it's nice that the show makes it clear that, while Pinkie Pie is a joy, as is her usual, energetic means of sharing friendship with others, friendship comes in all shapes and sizes, but no matter how brazen or inconspicuous it is, that does not change how special it is.  It also highlights that sometimes being a friend with someone can be hard work, that you have to really give your all with some people to truly make them happy and be their friend, but if you truly hold friendship in that high of a regard, any work you have to put into making a friendship work is well worth it.

5192e729a1fe311804.jpg

Cranky Doodle Donkey: he's so BALDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!! ohmy.png 

Overall, there's really nothing at all wrong with this episode, and it definitely stands out as a benchmark in MLP history, particularly for the "Smile" sequence.  If you're looking to watch an episode that has pretty much everything that makes this show such a great and fun show to watch, you can never go wrong with "A Friend in Deed".  Take care everypony; to those of you who read this, I can only hope that my review has perhaps at least left a smile on your face. derpy_emoticon1.png

Cranky_and_Matilda_snuggling_S2E18.png

Even something small as a smile can mean all the world to somepony who life hasn't been too kind to.  Never forget that everypony; never, ever forget that. smile.png 

• Brohoof 5

• 1 month later...

.Pinkie Pie is as charmingly optimistic as ever, and Cranky Doodle Donkey is a very likable.curmudgeonly foil to her boundless enthusiasm. Between the song (which describes Pinkie's life philosophy) and her adorable friendship with Cranky, I think this is easily Pinkie Pie's best animated episode (I still think her micro comic surpasses it, but that's neither here nor there).

I hope we see Cranky again. He was a very down-to-earth, sympathetic character, and I enjoyed seeing him slowly warm up to being Pinkie's friend.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh I love this episode, it's without any doubt my favorite episode ever.

The smile song is even after half a year never failing it's purpose.

And that was also the episode where Pinkie became bestpony for me, I especially liked the scene where we saw a little glimpse of Pinkies mind and the welcome wagon.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

So for a while now I have actually sort of been drifting from bronyism. Today, I watched on Netflix the documentary on bronies and that got the spark back in my system. I rewatched some of my favorite Youtube clips, listened to some songs, etc. However, the first actual episode I watched since my, shall we say, reemergence, was this episode. At first I was just laughing at Pinkie's warm up antics, but when the song started going moments later (yeezum this will sound pathetic) I actually felt a tear or two well up my eyes. It was so weird, but it was like an old friend was welcoming me back after a long absence. Pinkie just seemed to be singing to me, the person, about how much she hopes she makes me smile, and she sure does. Once the song was over, I quickly recovered, and I managed not to shed an actual tear. But I will be kerfluffed if I sure didn't come close!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is my favorite episode of MLP so far.

I love Pinkie Pie and the songs she does. Her best songs are in this episode and range from cute to catchy. Plus the comedy in several parts of the episode is very enjoyable. I hope there will be more in future episodes that I get to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked Crankey's voice. It seemed nicely. And the reprise for smile made me...SMILE :) I hope he makes a few more appearances as a less crankey doodle donkey

You liked his voice? you might not know it, but his voice was famous in the internet a while ago, here's why

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This episode really moved me. This is what made me REALLY love the show (i sorta just 'liked' it earlier). The song in particular reflected so much on Pinkie's character, and she instantly found herself at the top of my best pony list. Not only the singing and music were amazing, the message they delivered were something i could really relate to.

Hands down, this is my all time favorite.

(edited)

I have watched this episode about 5 times. It's the best Pinkie has done to date, even with season 4 over with.

The Smile Song is an extremely popular tune among bronies, also happens to be my favorite song in the whole show. I'm listening to it as I type this.

This is part of why the show appeals to me me so much. I was quite a sappy person. I had almost been drove off the metaphorical suicide cliff. This show made me truly happy, and made ME SMILE.

Thanks Pinkie, you brighten up our day too, even when your antics get a bit too kooky.

post-17001-0-08926300-1404723478_thumb.png

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

This was one of my favorite episodes partly because of the song, and partly because it really showed what Pinkie Pie's special talent really was. Before it was mostly just jumping around and being crazy. This episode shows her real talent though- making others smile. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

This was a great episode. I really liked Pinkie's humor in this one. And we get a new equine that's not a pony. The highlight was without a doubt the Smile Song. It was one of the best songs of the whole show because it's so cheerful. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anybody know the names of the two ponies that Pinkie is trying to cheer up at the start of the Smile song?

Here's the ones I mean:

post-30326-0-12743100-1420904199_thumb.png

Update: tells me that they're Bloo and Noi. I've looked them up on Wikia, and she's correct. (These are fan names - they don't have canon names.)

Edited by Vital Spark

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The song would have been a meh one for me if not for the Smile Song :). I liked that :D

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My smile sense is tingling! My money's definitely on this episode for the new song, looking forward to it! On a sadder note however, there still seems to be a distinct lack of Fluttershy episodes this season, lets hope that the future episodes will deliver accordingly.

well mabye the writers didn't have very many ideas for fluttershy episodes

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed this episode. The "Smile, Smile, Smile" song really highlighted the positive qualities to Pinkie Pie's character. Although she may be labeled as comic relief, the song shows that Pinkie is a much deeper character than that. Her going out of her way to make ponies happy makes her more than just the element of laughter, I think the element of joy would be a more appropriate way to describe Pinkie Pie. Pinkie's the kind of pony anypony would love to have as their big sister. This song admittedly brings tears of joy to my eyes. Although I love all 6 of the Mane 6 equally, "Smile, Smile, Smile", proves that Pinkie Pie is one special pony.

Edited by BrawnyCharger