Flow

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

http://dowlphin.tumblr.com/post/140110631342/double-nosehole-helps-with-breathing-but-kink

Double nosehole helps with breathing, but kink flank is ouch

Rewatched S02E18 - A Friend In Deed and noticed those two. I rarely rewatch old eps, but a major life crisis makes me do all kinds of odd things. … Like reading a book!!! O_o …  I am flummoxed.

Edited by Dowlphin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
(edited)

I... Really... Kind of...

Hated this episode...
This might be the first Episode that I REALLY wanted to give a 1 to.. But I didn't I gave it a 2 instead. Simply put, Pinkie was annoying. And a kind of annoying that I really don't like.

See the thing is.. I'm a cranky spiky curmudgeon myself. And I have a best friend who MIGHT just have the bad habit of not taking no thank you for a answer. And I MIGHT go a bit over board in telling him no on the third or so try. Me: "You want some of this?" Me: "No. But thank you." Him: "You sure?" Me: "Yes...." Him: "Positive?" Me: "&$#@ off Chris.."

And the thing is I do that because I know he will literally just badger me until I say yes unless I'm rude to him. And then I FEEL BAD for yelling at him.

And that's the thing. People who wont take no for a answer in helping you. Most of the time, they want to help you so they feel like a good person or a good friend.. Which in a odd way makes them REALLY selfish

And on top of that, this Episode doesn't even address this. When Pinkie helps Cranky with his life long quest, she's not proving she's a good pony. We already knew that. But before that, when she's just trying to badger him into being her friend, she's being super selfish.

There is a big difference between my friend helping me achive a life long goal even if I say "Nah, that's never gonna happen, It was just a dream and I give up."

And my friend badgering me into doing something I actually don't want to do. And that's what pinkie was doing at first.

I would actually like to see a episode where pinkie learned to take no for a answer.. That would be a interesting episode.... This however was not.

-------------------------

Notes.

-Smile Song: Best part of this episode.

-Cranky: I love the voice work for this character. (Even if it was REALLY close to Richard Newman's role in Inuyasha)

-------------------------

P.S.

This episode needed more princesses in it....

Edited by blackstarraven

• 1 month later...

I didn't like this episode, at all. Pinkie was annoying. The Smile Song is the only redeeming value of this episode. But, what does the Smile Song have to do with the episode except for filler? 

1/5 Bad Episode.

• 4 months later...

I should actually hate this Episode, because its Pinkie Pie centered and i do hate some things, like the fact that she puts her nose into private documents for example or that she is annyoing as usual, but it was entertaining. The german Version of the Smile Song wasnt that good, but it was funny at many parts. Maybe my hate towards Pinkie kinda vanishes over time or i just get used to her more, i dont know. Maybe its because she does a good Job with the 2 Babys and shows that she can actually do hard work and not just jump around and annoy Ponys. XD

• 1 month later...

Pure Pinkie Pie injected directly to the veins. Personally, I prefer my Pinkie Pie slightly diluted, as her lack of boundaries is something I feel I'd be bothered by in real life, but she's just so happy and enthusiastic and well-meaning that I find her irresistibly charming. Plus, when you start out with the best song in the entire series, I can forgive Pinkie's total obliviousness to what she's doing wrong, at least to an extent. Just when I start to get impatient with it, though, that adorable ending comes in and makes up for it, and Pinkie learns not to invade others' privacy, so I guess it's all good. Also, is this the first time a different song plays over the credits? 

Score:

Entertainment: 8/10

Characters: 8/10

Themes: 9/10

Story: 7/10

Overall: 80/100

• 4 months later...

As annoying as Pinkie Pie was to Cranky, I still enjoyed this episode. His initial backhanded compliment, “You’re smarter than you look,” doesn’t do him any favors.

I enjoyed the toupee scene because Pinkie herself told the others it wasn’t funny. She was just trying to help. That second toupee was awful though.

Pinkie does need to learn to take no for an answer though.

Poor Cranky. It seems like he wasted much of his life. Matilda appeared to have had least lived happily until their reunion. I get the impression that he just became more and more bitter.

• 5 weeks later...

This is the first bad episode of season 2 for me. Pinkie is so annoying and she gets rewarded for stalking Cranky. The song is great and Cranky's backstory is sweet, but Pinkie just ruins the episode.

Score: 3/10

• 5 months later...

There are a lot of things to appreciate about this episode. The song is amazing, many of the jokes are funny, and Cranky is a good character. His backstory is sweet. But the moral is really bad. Pinkie should've realized that not everyone wants to be her friend. That would've been a good message, but instead Pinkie bothers Cranky, goes through his stuff without permission, is generally a nuisance, but she's rewarded just because she does one nice thing. Everything she did before is forgotten. That is just not acceptable to teach to kids and it ruins the episode. 

Score: 3/10

• 6 months later...

This is how Pinkie being annoying should always be portrayed. Her voice is tolerable, she's not insanely over the top, and she learns her lesson. Speaking of which, the moral isn't as bad as I remember it being. Pinkie apologizes for being so annoying the Cranky and makes up for it. She isn't rewarded just for doing one nice thing, she's rewarded because she realizes what she was doing was wrong and learns to not be so invasive. 

The rest of the episode is pretty good. The song is great of course, but aside from that Pinkie is generally fun to watch and there's a good sprinkling of jokes.

Score: 7/10

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Good episode.  Not a whole lot to say about it.  Just a classic, solid Pinkie episode.  But of course, what makes this episode a memorable hit is Simile Smile Smile, one of the best and most catchy songs in the entire franchise!  It's definitely been one of the most popular songs for remixes and orchestrals.  It's a very fandom-defining sort of song.  And of course it gave us one of the greatest single creations in the entire fan community: SMILE HD!!  :laugh:

3 minutes ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

No offence.

....riiiiiight.  :huh:

So, yes, I really, really do like Smile HD.  I think it's hysterical.  And I'm also a super, mega fan of the show and all of the positive morals and ideals it stands for, and I don't particularly appreciate being told that I "clearly" can't be.  Please don't presume to be able to read my mind.  The fact is, some people are quite comfortable exploring (and laughing at) dark and twisted facets of the human mind in harmless fictional form, and are perfectly capable of separating such things from the source material itself.  I.e. one can enjoy Smile HD, and it doesn't, and needn't, somehow sully and soil the show, nor does it say one single thing about whether or not the person has violent or aggressive tendencies irl.  If you're not such a person, that's completely fine, but I recommend that you do not judge such people, nor assume that you know how their minds work.  (And I'll bet the creator of Smile HD is also a true fan.)

Also, (and this is more directed to the mods) I realize that this exchange was probably better suited to a pm, but I really felt that this response has real utility and should be available for others to see.  Thanks.

@Justin_Case001 I understand. The last thing I want to do is offend somepony and if I did, then I do apologise. It’s wrong of me to jump to conclusions. If there’s anything you need to know about me, it’s the fact that MLP:FiM has helped me out of some very dark stages in my life and to that, I credit it for saving my life, particularly the Mane Six themselves. I guess maybe I love them so much that if they get tampered with or get represented in a negative way, I want to be there to defend them. That video is the biggest example of that. I made the mistake of watching it early on and I will never make that mistake again. Especially when it’s a bad representation of a pony I love so much, that is Pinkie Pie. I understand people may get pleasure out of it but for me, it left me in pieces and is the only time in my life I’ve ever gagged. I really apologise for offending you and I hope there’s no hard feelings. :kindness:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Rewatched this just now and it is a fun ep :) Pinkie being OTT but not terrible. On the rewatch got to respect Richard Newman's cranky. Also the olden pony cartoon sequence!

Also the horror-scene of the Pink menace :D

Manely though - this was one of the first eps I ever saw and I hated it and stayed away from the show for a bit. Now ofc it's a fave and Pinkie is the char I like the most.

Loving Living Tombstone's remix of the song

• 2 months later...

I love this episode, as so many others :wub:

The highlight for me is of course this stop motion scence with Pinkie logic and then breaking the fourth wall by pulling this check mark into reality :mlp_pinkie:. I'll never forget hat, even if I grow over 100 years old. I think also the end where Pinkie gets triggered and launches in the sky is just so Pinkie Pie. Then we have also the very famous Smile Song in this episode.

We also learn that Pinkie has memorized the birthdates of everypony in this town. By all means for Pinkie Pie his episode is a really important episode.

We're getting also introduced to Cranky and Mathilda which are recurring characters.

So what not to like? I've got no idea :)

• 7 months later...

It seems to be a less and less popular opinion with time, but I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. While Pinkie is rather annoying here as she can often be, here it is actually a part of the story. While I do understand why people don't enjoy this episode, it did one main thing that made me enjoy it: it highlighted Pinkie's desire to make people happy. It sounds simple, but this truly is Prime Pinkie Pie. Pinkie's worst moments are always when she injects terribly unfunny humor into situations where it is not really needed, coming across as tone-deaf and borderline deranged at worst. Her best moments however, are when she is trying to be a good person and make people happy, and that is basically the point of this episode. She IS obnoxious at first, but that was the point; she had to learn to make people happy in different ways, which involved leaving Cranky to his business.

This is why "Smile, Smile, Smile!" is among my favorite songs in the series. It is a bit long, but it encapsulates Pinkie's best traits perfectly.

• 6 months later...