Flow

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I wasn't really drawn to this episode, but then again Pinkie Pie is my least favorite of the mane 6. Also I usually view an episode two or three times the day it comes out so I'll have a better-formed opinion by then. Maybe Pinkie can make me smile after two more views. xD

I did like seeing Rainbow Dash reading again though!

(Well I was proven wrong quickly)

Anyway, I'm so glad the song that was leaked is finally behind us. Also Pinkie Pie was fantastic in this episode.

She was everything I loved about her in season 1.

-Singing random songs.

-Random

-breaks fourth wall

-and always wanting a smile on everypony's face.

Also, I would like to say that I think studio B wants to get rid of "Pinkimena," just saying.

Edited by RaccoonBL

(Well I was proven wrong quickly)

Anyway, I'm so glad the song that was leaked is finally behind us. Also Pinkie Pie was fantastic in this episode.

She was everything I loved about her in season 1.

-Singing random songs.

-Random

-breaks fourth wall

-and always wanting a smile on everypony's face.

Also, I would like to say that I think studio B wants to get rid of "Pinkimena," just saying.

Yeah I was specting to see some straight hair, possibly in the part where she sings: It's true some days are dark and lonely...

Yeah I was specting to see some straight hair, possibly in the part where she sings: It's true some days are dark and lonely...

Every chance they have to let Pinkimena slip out of Pinkie is rejected. I don't know if its for the best...

On one hoof, it will let the cupcake talk tone down, but Pinkimena was very good look inside Pinkie's character...

Hey look! Its Derpy in the snow globe!

Sorry for bad quality, but if you look close (or in the episode) you can see its derpy ^^

*snip image*

Okay, how the heck did everyone else notice that and I didn't till seeing this screenshot? Either my eyes are bad or everyone else's are just that good. (Or it's because I watched mine on a television screen much further away from my face than the monitors everyone else probably watched it on.) Edited by Kyronea

Something about a young, exuberant child/kid befriending a hardened, jaded older person story just cheers me up. I kept thinking about Up and Gran Torino the entire time.

Wait that made me realized. Mane 6 confirmed for Teenagers or very young adults.

The episode was certainly very cute and brought a smile to my face. Party of One is still my favorite Pinkie Pie centric episode, but I think this might be my second favorite one.

And I didn't spoil my self of the song, so this was my first time watching/hearing it.

Something about a young, exuberant child/kid befriending a hardened, jaded older person story just cheers me up. I kept thinking about Up and Gran Torino the entire time.

Wait that made me realized. Mane 6 confirmed for Teenagers or very young adults.

She's not a kid though, she is an adult.

Ah, I'll let you play with Pinkie's age, but dont touch the other of the mane 6.

And yeah, young woman in a non romatic ralationship with an old man, speaking of Gran Torino, it reminds me of Million Dollar Baby

I can happily say that this episode was awesome. Pinkie's song is definitely one of my favorites. I'm so glad that I waited to listen to the song instead of giving in and listening to the leak, it was amazing! This episode is now my second favorite, purely because of Pinkie Pie.

Oh, how I adore Pinkie Pie! I missed her so much; even though she had "Baby Cakes", an overall fine episode, this episode in particular showed Pinkie on her A-game. I can't believe I actually forgot that MLP was on today! Thankfully, it all came back to mind when I checked Equestria Daily.

I loved the episode from start to finish. Unlike others who have posted here, I did not catch wind of "Smile Smile Smile", so the experience was entirely novel for me. In one sense, I feel as if the song should be considered cheesy and therefore unlikable. But I absolutely adored the song and Pinkie having a major musical number. Again, while "Baby Cakes" had the pig song, it lasted only fifteen to thirty seconds. This song, however, lasted for close to four minutes. It's easy to forget how big a role the music plays in this show. I definitely had a smile on my face once it finished.

Cranky Doodle Dandy was a fine foil for Pinkie. At first I thought they were going to make him extraordinarily unlikable so that the audience would side with Pinkie's efforts to befriend him. You know, jaded for no apparent reason other than he disliked other people. But they made Cranky sympathetic in that you could easily envision an older person who has encountered heartbreak wanting to genuinely be left alone. I never felt as though Cranky was mean for the sake of being mean, and I'm glad the writers avoided such a temptation. He reminded us that Pinkie's antics could easily drive somepony up the wall. I admit to cringing and letting out an audible (though humored) moan when Pinkie set Cranky's book on fire by accident.

On the other hoof, as I have said, I adored Pinkie Pie. She was firing on all cylinders. And we needed a major dose of Pinkie after attending to the Apple family and then the conspicuously Mane 6 absent "Hearts and Hooves Day" episode. She maintained a high wire act of remaining cartoonishly appealing while being an authentic character. Though she made Cranky's life miserable---mostly from his perspective, although setting his photo album ablaze is universally accepted as awful---she never intended to do so. In short, I'm pleased to see that Pinkie never intentionally trolled him. She just wanted to make him happy; unfortunately, most of her plans backfired rather severely.

I continue to appreciate the Looney Toon inspired antics made prominent in the pursuit scene. As I watched it unfold, I outright stated (as if speaking to Cranky): "You can't win." Nobody can escape Pinkie when she has you in her crosshairs. The sooner everypony and everymule learns that, the better off they will be.

Yes, I caught Derpy in the snowglobe on my first viewing. I guess that has long since become a running gag ("Find Derpy").

When Pinkie launched into the sky after Matilda and Cranky were reunited, I was reminded of this:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2pLsYr8YgE

I have no idea if it was an intentional reference---I highly doubt it---but if MLP: FiM makes me think of A Pup Named Scooby-Doo, then I'm all right with it.

In short, I smiled. A lot. :lol:

• Brohoof 6

I've speculated that Pinkie is about college freshman age (i.e., 18-19) and the youngest member of the Mane 6. The only things we have to substantiate such a claim are Lauren Faust's comments about their approximate age range and the fact Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie.

Cranky, given his advanced age, would probably call any one of the Mane 6 "kids." It's hard to make a judgment based on his usage of "kid", especially since it was often used as a pejorative.

• Brohoof 1

I've speculated that Pinkie is about college freshman age (i.e., 18-19) and the youngest member of the Mane 6. The only things we have to substantiate such a claim are Lauren Faust's comments about their approximate age range and the fact Fluttershy is a year older than Pinkie.

Cranky, given his advanced age, would probably call any one of the Mane 6 "kids." It's hard to make a judgment based on his usage of "kid", especially since it was often used as a pejorative.

While I would place Pinkie as older, at about twenty-one, I would also assign the relative ages of the other Mane Six in the same manner you would. Cranky definitely would be referring to any of them as kid since he seems to be much older...if I were to guess, I'd say he's in at least his mid fifties, if not early sixties.

While I would place Pinkie as older, at about twenty-one, I would also assign the relative ages of the other Mane Six in the same manner you would. Cranky definitely would be referring to any of them as kid since he seems to be much older...if I were to guess, I'd say he's in at least his mid fifties, if not early sixties.

I agree. I, too, had the impression Cranky was in his fifties or early sixties. The loss of his hair (although that might have been partly due to stress), his slowed movements, and desire to retire suggest he's in that age range rather than elderly.

Did you ever happen to explain your age approximation of the Mane 6? I believe you have but I cannot recall it off-hand. It would probably be in the thread about their ages, if anywhere.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my general post that Pinkie continues to be easily one of the more intelligent ponies on the show. That she managed to put together Matilda being Cranky's long lost love was impressive enough: Pinkie also paid close attention to detail and displayed a strong memory when it otherwise seemed she was oblivious. It's lovely when Pinkie is shown as being more than a superficially ditzy, party loving pony.

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 2

I agree. I, too, had the impression Cranky was in his fifties or early sixties. The loss of his hair (although that might have been partly due to stress), his slowed movements, and desire to retire suggest he's in that age range rather than elderly.

Did you ever happen to explain your age approximation of the Mane 6? I believe you have but I cannot recall it off-hand. It would probably be in the thread about their ages, if anywhere.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my general post that Pinkie continues to be easily one of the more intelligent ponies on the show. That she managed to put together Matilda being Cranky's long lost love was impressive enough: Pinkie also paid close attention to detail and displayed a strong memory when it otherwise seemed she was oblivious. It's lovely when Pinkie is shown as being more than a superficially ditzy, party loving pony.

Pinkie Pie can defy the laws of physics! Of course she is one of the more intelligent ponies in the show! :lol:

• Brohoof 3