Flow

62 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I'm surprised we forgot to seriously mention MacGyver in discussing Pinkie's intuitive knowledge. MacGyver was a jack of all trades; and while he was smart, he didn't possess the genius-level intellect associated with most fictional characters. He had practically applied knowledge. The same goes for Pinkie, I think.

While there are serious characterological differences between the two, MacGyver is a nice illustration of the skills embodied in Pinkie.

• Brohoof 3

Now, I want some Rainbow X Twilight fan fiction. I mean, she could just read in her own house, but she's at Twilight's, all comfortable and stuff :3

Smile Smile Smile - utter awesomness. I listened to it before but I didn't know it was THE leaked song so I paid no attention, I thought it was some fan work or something and I only listened to the beginning. And now, in the show - ultrasuperawesome. I'm growing to like Pinkie more and more. :)

One of best episodes, I wasn't looking forward to it because Pinkie hadn't been my favorite and its awesomeness caught me by surprise :3

• Brohoof 1

I'm surprised we forgot to seriously mention MacGyver in discussing Pinkie's intuitive knowledge. MacGyver was a jack of all trades; and while he was smart, he didn't possess the genius-level intellect associated with most fictional characters. He had practically applied knowledge. The same goes for Pinkie, I think.

While there are serious characterological differences between the two, MacGyver is a nice illustration of the skills embodied in Pinkie.

Oh wow... You're right! And that was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. I can't believe that I didn't think of the similarity.

Actually, now that you mention MacGyver.... In Swarm of the Century, rigging those instruments so that they could all be played at the same time (and knowing that she needed to get them in the first place) is another example of Pinkie's intuitive intelligence.

post-1882-0-92868400-1329597428_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

Of course it's based on assumptions. That's the nature of supposition, which is what both you and I are doing. It's certainly possible that she didn't build it, just as it's possible she did build it. I prefer to interpret it as that she did build it, because otherwise the autogyro lacks an appropriate explanation at all as to where it came from, and would seem like a ludicrous non-sequiter otherwise.

Mind, I also tend to view other similarly physics breaking events, such as the various times when she follows ponies around at impossible speeds, including in this episode where she chased Cranky, as metaphorical rather than literal. We could interpret the autogyro in the same manner, as a metaphor for her desire to continue speaking to Gilda and Dash, and her ingenuity in coming up with an appropriate solution to do so.

True, having a good memory doesn't make someone a genius. It can be a beneficial tool though.

You still haven't addressed the point sufficiently nor have you addressed the main point, that being that it is her Pinkie Sense that grants her this intuition in the first place, intuition she has displayed on numerous occasions time and again in plenty of episodes far beyond the ones we've already discussed.

Of course Pinkie is intuitive and has her Pinkie sense, but things like when she just screamed to everypony about Cranky's wig, really seem to tell you that she is in fact, not that bright

Of course Pinkie is intuitive and has her Pinkie sense, but things like when she just screamed to everypony about Cranky's wig, really seem to tell you that she is in fact, not that bright

You're confusing several different types of intelligence with each other. Pinkie was honestly unaware she was making Cranky uncomfortable, but that doesn't automatically mean she's an idiot. It simply means she was unable to fully discern his emotional state. She was trying to help him, and in the process she wasn't paying direct attention to him. This is the sort of thing that can happen to a lot of people with certain kinds of intelligence, as well as people who have psychological issues, as I believe Pinkie does. In other places on the forum I've explained why I believe Pinkie has Borderline Personality Disorder, a mental illness that can help explain why she sometimes might not be as...properly empathetic as she perhaps should. It's not that she's not reading the emotions there at all, but more that she misinterprets them.

With respect to Pinkie's intelligence, we should also continue to account for her social abilities. I have no hard facts at my disposal, but a close friend of mine who studies psychology explained to me a while ago that social skills correlate with heightened intelligence. Roughly estimated, it peaks at about 140 or 150 on the Stanford-Binet intelligence quotient test. Afterward, there begins a sharp decline in social and interpersonal skills. While the IQ test alone is probably not the best way to rate intelligence, it may give us some indication as to how intelligent Pinkie is. And when you factor in her creative skills and the aforementioned chopper from "Griffon the Brush-Off", I think it's safe to say you're not dealing with just a cartoonish pony.

And I'm still of the opinion that Pinkie had set up a Xanatos Gambit (i.e., a situation in which she could not lose) at the party for Gilda.

Right, because only Pinkie Pie can make sugar filled pastries (cupcakes) with the organs from a sentient mare.

Edited by Devin McCourty

Pinkie Pie was so PINKIE PIE in this episode. Fourth wall breaking, thinking in felt-o-vision, being hyperactive, this is Pinkie Pie at her Pinkie Pie-est.

Anyway, I especially noticed the attention to detail on the little easter egg stuff, and laughed aloud at Derpy in the snowglobe.

And yes, of course, of course, I loved the song, though I have to say: How do all these ponies just sing en-masse as a spur-of-the-moment thing?

tl;dr loved the episode but too lazy to type more about it at the moment.

• Brohoof 5

Right, because only Pinkie Pie can make sugar filled pastries (cupcakes) with the organs from a sentient mare.

I loved the song, though I have to say: How do all these ponies just sing en-masse as a spur-of-the-moment thing?

I jokingly tend to compare them (these songs) with the ponified version of what is known to us as flashmobs. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes in Ponyville... ^_^

Edited by JavaJive
  • Brohoof 1

Wow. There's just so much to love in this episode!

I was surprised at how easy it was to sympathize with both Cranky and Pinkie, and when he first mentioned "her," I was stunned at the direction they were taking the story. Giving a one-episode character that much exposition is just unheard of. And THE SONG. Sweet Jegus, Pinkie finally got a full-length, musical-caliber song all her own. And it was glorious.

Some other really nice touches were:

- The change of style when they went into Pinkie's imagination and Cranky's flashback

- The continuity of Rainbow reading and Pinkie taking care of the Cakes

- How Pinkie's song wasn't particularly triggered by anything; it was just there to set the mood from the start

- Derpy in the snowglobe!

• Brohoof 3

I jokingly tend to compare them (these songs) with the ponified version of what is known to us as flashmobs. Who knows what goes on behind the scenes in Ponyville... ^_^

Someone's gotta do a flashmob with Smile smile smile

• Brohoof 3

i wouldn't say it's the best ep ever, but easily high on the list! not the biggest pinkie fan but this was really a good story, and deserved a bit more time i think, not complaining about the songs but they did cut into time that could have filled in more plot.

• Brohoof 1

I heard the Smile song when it was leaked, and I can't say I was too enthused about it at that time. After hearing it in this episode and watching the related sequence, though, it has grown on me dramatically.

I loved the felt animation in Pinkie's mind-theatre in this episode, as well as the occasional stylistic animation - like the few seconds part way through the song where everything was in silhouette - it shows that the animators are becoming more confident, more willing to experiment and try new and amazing things.

• Brohoof 2

Oh my, I just realized now watching in HD, that Pinkie's check list scene is done with cloth figures! That's new.

Also, about what Twilight said to Pinkie that cranky was never gonna be her friend, she should've remember her initial reaction to Pinkie was not very different

• Brohoof 1

This episode is awesome. I'm glad that I can love every single new episode that gets released. :)

I want to ask, did anyone else notice Pinkie's spider freak-out, you know, the one that caused her to ruin Cranky's toupee? She had another spider freak-out in The Ticket Master when she ran into Twilight and the tickets fell on her face, only she figured out that the tickets weren't spiders before she could ruin them.

Pinkie Pie is afraid of spiders. It's canon.

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie has arachnophobia? I didn't notice, to tell the truth. I merely thought she disliked spiders because of their connotations with "creepy" and menacing.

Perhaps we were all too busy freaking out about the song, but did anypony else notice Pinkie... err... finding herself and pulling herself up out of the gloom during the song? That was... special. :o What exactly happened?! :wacko:

Pulled a screenshot:

Posted Image

Edited by Sugar_Rush

Pinkie has arachnophobia? I didn't notice, to tell the truth. I merely thought she disliked spiders because of their connotations with "creepy" and menacing.

Well she screams whenever she thinks they've touched her... without actually checking to see if they're actually spiders before freaking out.

Well she screams whenever she thinks they've touched her... without actually checking to see if they're actually spiders before freaking out.

Somebody with arachnophobia (like my sister) wouldn't dare to step on a spider

Somebody with arachnophobia (like my sister) wouldn't dare to step on a spider

I don't know. My brother has a pathological fear of things with more than 4 legs and 5 eyes, and he always tries to get a cheap shot at the spider before he makes his get away.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it. Projectiles are the method that he prefers. You're right.... Stepping on one would never happen.

Edited by HAL 9000