Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Derpy never had this animation error?

GhostPony750

Well, everybody know that Derpy got her eyes from an animation mistake.

But what if there never been any errors?

Would you still like "Derpy"? What name do you think she would have?

~~~~~

For me, well, I guess I'd still like her for her color scheme, which is beautiful actually, and her cutie mark. She would probably be my favorite background pony along with Octavia.

And for her name, probably Bubbles? Since she is based on Bubbles from the Powerpuff Girls.

Also, epic picture:

ZlFJQZ9.png

• Brohoof 4

Derpy didn't just get her eyes from an animation mistake. She got her eyes because the animators chose not to fix the mistake. ;)

Still, I think this fandom wouldn't have grown as quickly. Because it was, and is, a fundamental Brony meme, if she had never existed there wouldn't have been such a large tie to the fandom. Also would've lowered some of the media coverage. Plus, you'll notice that Hasbro turned Derpy into a game of Where's Waldo throughout Season 2 once they discovered how much impact Derpy had on Bronydom. That would no longer be a thing. Then there's The Last Roundup's intro being the fault of some other clumsy pony, et cetera.

Nonetheless, given the nature of Bronies it's impossible to tell whether we'd have chosen some other pony to propagate as a meme the same way we did Derpy. :)

Edited by Flipturn Amaterasu
  • Brohoof 4

Well...

- She'd still be called Ditzy Doo, since this is her original name.

- The most memorable thing about her would be the "Muffins..." line.

- Her appearence in "The Last Roundup" and Derpygate would have never happened.

- No one would have cared about her being removed from the show because there would have been no reason (even though the "reason" that was there was rediculous) to do so.

So, I think she'd maybe be a popular but not that popular background pony. And I think, I would be pretty indefferent about her.

• Brohoof 1

Well, everybody know that Derpy got her eyes from an animation mistake.

Are we POSITIVE that's the case?

Check out her mouth:

180px-Derpy_derping.png

It looks an awful lot like she's "making a face". I really think an animator was having fun with her from the beginning. 

• Brohoof 2

if derpy never had the animation error, she would've probably never have been anything more than just a regular BG pony. there would have been no controversy behind her and therefore no censorship for "The Last Roundup".

• Brohoof 1

Derpy would not have been Derpy. Simple.

I mean her appearance, mostly those eyes, definitely had major impact on the fandom. She started much controversy and many numerous questions arose when she made her very first official appearance in "Friendship is Magic: Part 1."

I could just imagine the reactions lol.

180px-Derpy_derping.png

"Look at those pony's eyes!"

"Where?"

"Right there! Near Twilight!"

"Wow, her eyes are so...Derpy."  :o

Apparently, 4chan was the first to notice and eventually Derpy even got her first speaking role in the "The Last Roundup." 

After that...

Soccer moms got all angry, the bronies were going crazy. Derpy memes. Derpy memes everywhere. All this "Save Derpy" stuff that happened. Hasbro vs Fans. Rage. Rage Rage everywhere! War ended with consensus, and Derpy was slightly changed.

Then soon enough the whole "Doctor Whooves and Assistant" series began which brought up the whole Derpy x Doctor shipping craze.

All the stuff came from her initial appearance, which according to some posters here was actually full on intentional.(I didn't even know that)

Overall, whether it was intentional or just a simple animation error, if it wasn't for her eyes being like that, none of the fan craze would have ever taken place. 

She would of been be acknowledged as just a simply designed background pegasus pony. There wouldn't be much special about her. Not like sitting Lyra, Doctor Whooves, toothpaste maned Colgate, the cello playing Octavia, DJ Pon3, etc..

Though all the mentioned ponies are simply background ponies, they all possess unique qualities about themselves that make them appear unique and interesting to the fans. That's why background ponies too, can be loved.

Derpy is an amazing background pony due to those eyes and her adorable ditzy-ness.(: They represent uniqueness and how much of a smile you can give to others no matter who you are or what your like. That you can be loved, being just the way you are.

So I'm proud to say, that I love Derpy just the way she is.(:

Edited by Sanderspie
  • Brohoof 2

No Derpy.. that sounds like something you would write in a gridmark. We would probably have one less reason to like MLP. How often do we veer off the focus of the screen so we can find our favorite pegasus in the crowd?

Who knows? What if there was another animation error on a pony that was fixed right away? It's sort of like asking what life would have been without having an extra child to take care off.

• Brohoof 1

I think she'd still be around. Probably be a stressed out mail mare whose dream is to become a muffin maker. She'd still have a place in the fandom as a notable background pony in my view.

• Brohoof 1

She would still exist in the show as a background pony, but she would be of no significance to us.

The only other things I could see happening would be a lot less appearances, no The Last Roundup fiasco, and someone else as our "mascot".

• Brohoof 1

Her name would be changed back to Ditzy Doo, Derpygate and her appearance in The Last Roundup and might have never occurred. She would just have less appearances.

• Brohoof 1

Well, "Derpy" Wouldn't exist. It's that simple. She wouldn't have the fame in the fandom that she has now, no controversy would've happened, and her Last Roundup scene might've never happened.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...
On 8/12/2013 at 8:00 PM, Synnett said:

Would you still like "Derpy"? What name do you think she would have?

Probably not.

Her popularity is being noticed by bullies at 4chan, and screamed at. Without that, she is just a grey pegasus background pony. I hate it, but 4chan knows how to make things popular, at some costs.

• 2 months later...