Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Happenings: A Month Later

LittleRawr

@,

"I do not blame them, you are far too precious to risk losing." Redwave smiled. "I still have a few surprises under the saddle though, so to speak."

Truthfully, he had a few ideas but the way Minty was talking, he thought that he was going to have a difficult time should he meet her father. Looking down at the scars from the Timber Wolves that had never quite faded, he frowned to himself before quickly forcing an optimistic look onto his face. A lawyer? He wouldn't ever look the part for anything like that. Not now, anyway. 

'No matter how you word it, it always translates to 'pirate' to somepony who doesn't know better...' He thought unhappily. 'Heh, kill for her? Thats exactly the problem!' He was being honest about have a couple of surprises left, though he might not be quite as confident as he sounded about them. 

Shaking his head, he collected his thoughts.

"Of course, you are correct. You know the town better than I, lead the way." He bowed before excusing himself for a moment to yell overboard. "Kingfisher, I'm leaving a'while!"

@

Minty smiled. "Oh, you're probably just saying that. The bullies at my old school when I was littler proved that I would be WORTH losing." After a few moments of silence, she began to trot off the ship into Ponyville. "Well, I wouldn't like talking about that, so I'd rather not. I don't want to put a damper on our last few days together." Minty waved at a few ponies she knew as she trotted off the feeling of wood under her hooves. 

"Hey, you've never talked about your parents. What are they like?" Minty asked curiously, still trotting up ahead. Redwave never really did tell her about his family. DID he even have a family? "Guess I'll have to find out. I might as well know since I'm only here for a few more days.. and no doubt that Redwave would continue sailing rather than come with me to Applewood. He's already uncomfortable enough in Ponyville, imagine APPLEWOOD!" Minty continued trotting up ahead until she entered Sugarcube Corner, beckoning Redwave to come inside, smiling as if he was a little foal. Well, he seemed to be in a pretty sad mood.

@,

"My parents?" He repeated. It probably shouldn't have been such a surprise that it had been brought up - it was bound to at some point. Following the mint mare into the bakery was a strangely ironic action, all things considering.

He sighed.

"The last I heard they were very well. Bakers, the both of them - they have a shop in Trottingham where I grew up. Most of the family are farmers and such out that way."

The very concept of him as a farmer or baker brought a momentary glint to his eye: he couldn't think of anything he would be worse at.

"My folks bake bread. I go exploring the seas. We haven't spoken since... It must have been about eight years ago? I don't think they really ever forgave me for leaving, not really. Scribe got the same treatment I think: not when he left but when his little sister followed him. We haven't seen her since."

Realising that his expression had become blank, he quickly fixed it back to its signature smirk - though his eyes were still somewhat glazed over.

It was far from a difficult life that he had left behind: it just felt like if he had stayed, things might have worked out better. They were good ponies, all of them.

"She'll be fine. We're tough. One of these days I'm half expecting to see her on a ship of her own."

Lyona woke up from her sleep, groaning. 

Never again. She vowed, clutching her pounding head. After a few minutes, Lyona could think in more than two-word sentences. All her needs were making themselves known, but there was one especially bothering her.

" Water." Lyona croaked, stumbling off her bad and crawling to the small kitchen that she had. I'm so thirsty I could drink all the water on this planet!

Some stumbling, falling and cursing later, Lyona had finally found a bottle of water. She sat on the floor, eagerly drinking the rather warm water.

Note to self. Keep more water in the fridge. She thought to herself, but knew that it was pointless. She would forget it soon enough, anyways. Along with the water, she swallowed a pill to ease her headache. In a few more minutes, it had already cleared up. Magic medicine is rather helpful sometimes.

I should probably clean myself up a bit. I can practically feel those tangles in my mane. Lyona walked to the bathroom, and grabbed a brush. She winced as it went through her mane, almost ripping out a huge chunk of it. I should try changing my manestyle a little bit, so that the police have a smaller chance of recognizing me. 

In the end, Lyona decided to put her mane up in a sleek ponytail. She hadn't done this manestyle since she was a foal, but it felt rather refreshing. She decided to put on a cap as well, just to be safe.

I need some food, too. I'm starving, but there's nothing in the fridge. Lyona thought as she passed the kitchen, and to the door. She grabbed her bits, then opened the door.

Squinting a little, Lyona trotted to the marketplace. Redwave probably left... She thought guiltily. I'll have to make sure to ask the guards stationed around Equestria to keep a lookout for him. Princess Celestia will allow that, hopefully. 

lyra_with_a_ponytail_by_jennieoo-d529ybg

Edited by LittleRawr

Cinder was... Cinder was upset. That was the word she would have used anyway - Scribe thought 'distraught' was more appropriate but the choice of words wasn't the problem.

After returning home to find a smoke free building, she wasn't really certain where Silver might have gone: she had been to the usual meeting places and found nothing... His friend had vanished too. Scribe hadn't seen anything either. She had waited... and waited...

Nothing.

When she woke the next day and there was still no sign of the dappled colt - no message or hint to his vanishing...

"Excuse me! Uh.. Lyona, was it?"

Cinder could deal with her own problems when she regained the ability to speak without sobbing some tragic fate that might have befallen the colt: In the meantime, Scribe was going to investigate what had happened that had 'upset' his friend so much.

"Hello? You were the one who was in the forest with Cinder weren't you? The captain..." He glanced the dishevelled ponytail but managed to avoid the same line that he used the last time they met. He just stalled instead.

"Excuse me! Uh.. Lyona, was it?"

Lyona turned around, having her name called. She managed to spot him through the crowd and quickly changed her direction to trot to him. That's Cinder's friend, Scribe. Well, I think so. Probably is. She decided. I don't feel like talking, but it would be rude of me to just ignore him and walk off. As she walked, the cap slowly started to slide over her eyes. 

"Hello? You were the one who was in the forest with Cinder weren't you? The captain..."

The pegasus stopped in front of him, and pushed the cap back a little bit higher on her head, so that she could see. Dumb cap... Should've made it a little bit smaller. Since he could recognize me, I should've worked on my disguise a bit better. Maybe I'll dye my hair... Although I don't think another color other than my current one would suit me.

Mentally shaking off the random thoughts in her head, she put on a rather forced smile for Scribe.

Yes, I'm Lyona. I'm a retired captain now, though. I suppose that you're not here for idle chat. What do you need?" Lyona made sure to keep her tone friendly and light, not wanting to seem aggressive. She still felt guilty over the departure of Redwave, which soured her usual good mood. 

@@LittleRawr,

"Well... your friend, the dappled one that kept coming by to see Cinder? Apparently he's gone missing overnight or something - she says you two saw him yesterday?" He explained briefly: omitting the tears, suspicion and many cups of tea. "It's probably nothing but she's pretty worked up about it..."

'Well theres the understatement of the day...' His mind chipped in helpfully.

He shrugged: not really certain how the mare might be able to help - she was just the first pony he saw that might know anything at all. The had all been in the forest together after all - maybe she had heard something or...

No, probably not. Still, it was worth asking for his friend. There was something else too...

"Come to think of it, Redwave never turned up yesterday when he was supposed to... maybe there is something to this after all? Folks going missing... you noticed anything weird going on?"

She didn't really look terrible... just... like she'd not got very much sleep. Exactly like the last time they spoke: did she never sleep?

"... are you okay?" He added, after a pause.

"Well... your friend, the dappled one that kept coming by to see Cinder? Apparently he's gone missing overnight or something

Silver's gone missing? Lyona's eyes widened in shock. She took a breath, attempting to calm herself down. You're overreacting. He can take care of himself, he's an adult after all. And we're not in the Everfree anymore. If he gets lost in Ponyville doesn't mean that he'll be eaten by timberwolves. She reassured herself, but she still felt a little jittery. Quit acting like a mother hen! We're not in that damned forest anymore!

Thanks to her internal rant, Lyona didn't hear much of what Scribe had said next. She did, however, hear the words 'Cinder' and 'worked up'. 

She's probably more distraught than I am...

"Come to think of it, Redwave never turned up yesterday when he was supposed to... maybe there is something to this after all? Folks going missing... you noticed anything weird going on?"

Lyona flattened her ears at the mention of Redwave. I scared him off... Now it's my fault that he's left, probably never to be seen again. The pegasus' thoughts were growing more distraught, Silver's disappearance having set off a chain of more of the same thoughts. 

" Maybe." She muttered, scuffling the ground with her hoof.

"... are you okay?" He added, after a pause.

" Huh?" Lyona looked up. " Oh, yeah, I'm fine. Just worried about the others, that's all." She gave Scribe a half-hearted smile. " Thanks for asking, I guess." 

I shouldn't have followed Red to get a drink... If I had gone after Minty instead, none of this would've happened. 

@@LittleRawr,

Scribe wasn't particularly bright: he had mistaken mud for coffee, had spectacularly injured himself charging down an unlocked door and even once spent ten minutes trying to figure out how to free his tail when it became trapped in a door, without thinking of opening the door.

He wasn't particularly bright, but even he had a spark of brilliance from time to time.

'Worried? You looked like that before I told you...' He thought. '... was it you? Did you snatch them? Some kind of... sleepless siren?'

Even with the spark, he still wasn't particularly bright...

'Sometimes Scribe, you're more of an idiot than even I can believe... and I'm you!' His brain reminded him in a weary voice.

"Huh, If you say so." He shrugged to the tired-looking mare. "I'll write to Red - see if he's just delayed or something." He added "Uh, I'll see you around I guess. You should swing by and see Cinder if you get a minute."

After bidding her farewell, he wandered away, still wondering what it was that seemed different about the mare. Shrugging to himself, he went to pick up some more coffee: he had a feeling that many more hot drinks were going to be needed by the end of the day.

@

"Oh.. that's cool! Where are they now? Do they know you sail the seas..?" Minty asked curiously. "My parents certainly won't approve knowing that I'm actually dating somepony. They're really overprotective; they even said a story about somepony's husband executing his wife! That's terrible, but you wouldn't do that, would you?" Minty asked, a small frown starting to form on her face. "You probably didn't listen, did you? I don't blame you; my parents spout lies wherever they go! They even say lies about the other pony races."

"So.. are you coming with me to Applewood..? You really don't have to, you can keep going on your voyages through the seven seas. It's probably a lot more fun than going to visit my parents, more less stay there." 

Minty looked at the front of the line and saw a pony couple smiling at each other, looking at them in envy. "They seem so happy to be together.. at least one of them won't be moving away, separating the couple.. if only my parents could come here instead." Minty, knowing that if her parents even had a glimpse at Redwave, they'd disapprove and break them apart. She'd rather have a long distance relationship rather than none at all.

@,

Well... that was a story worth hearing.

"Executing his... Minty, when you said that your father was 'protective'..." He shook his head. "There are two flaws with that story. Firstly, I have no intention of executing anyone. Secondly, you forget that I have seen you behead a timber wolf with a rusty old blade."

He allowed a smile to creep onto his face again: the various shifting expressions and emotions were probably making him look crazy pretty quickly. Minty was clearly still concerned about her parents: if half of what she said was true then he was in trouble. They were in trouble.

"I dragged myself back from death in that forest. I'll throw myself to the waves before I give up on you without a fight - even if it is a battle of speech rather than steel. I shall go with you if you will have me, even if just to defy those who would come between us."

He had previously been much better at wordplay than swordplay - a leader, capable of even once convincing a pegasus that they were flightless through words alone. Time changes things... he had changed a lot but with a little luck maybe his old ways might be enough? 

• 2 weeks later...
"I'll write to Red - see if he's just delayed or something."

" Please do. I'm a little worried." Lyona's smile stretched tight. And I'll still ask the Princess if she can ask some guards to keep a lookout for him, as well. Just in case.

"Uh, I'll see you around I guess. You should swing by and see Cinder if you get a minute."

" Goodbye, Scribe." She waved a rather awkward goodbye to him. Visiting Cinder sounds like a good idea... It's not like I have anything particularly important to do anyways. Sighing a little, she walked away from the stallion, the cap hanging over her eyes a little. In the corner of her vision, she could see a police pony, staring into the crowd.

Flinching, she picked up her pace a little. He hasn't spotted me yet, but it's not long before he does. Now, which way was Cinder's house?

I should've asked Scribe for directions. Lyona was wandering around the town, hopelessly lost. She cursed when she saw a building that she had passed by thrice already.  Ponyville is basically a big village, and I got lost in ten seconds flat! 

After some more walking, Lyona spotted Redwave and Minty inside a cafe. With a little smile on her face, she backed up into the alley which she had come from. No need for me to interfereI hope.

Edited by LittleRawr

@,

"Minty... I do not think I can recall the last pony I met that did not greet me with an icy glare. If I recall, that was how we met - as well as Lyona, Silver, Impetus... It's as if ponies disapprove of my grand entrances." Redwave said with a smirk. "Though I promise to be on my very best behavior if it helps you feel at ease. No swords or royal guard disguises or such."

'Or bar brawls...' His mind added. '... or spirit wolves, duels, explosives, Brandy...'

He mentally flinched.

'Okay, less Brandy.'

He glanced something out of the corner of his eye: on further inspection it turned out to be nothing but at first he had thought it as Lyona. Regardless, he instinctively raised a hoof to the side of his face to shield it from prying eyes before realizing that he was in Ponyville: not some shady port town. There wasn't anything to be wary of, not around the type of ponies that lived here.

'Maybe I really have lost what I used to be? I used to lead by example, used to have ponies hang off my every word! I mean, the who glaring thing has been going on for a while now: when did I change so much?'