Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Artist Groups/Bands

DusK

Posing a hypothetical here: Say I were to start a brony music project with another member under a band name. Like, if Cyril, Anorax, and I got together and decided to create original brony music under the band name "Luna's Plot". :wub:

Right now, Pony.fm is a system geared solely towards solo artists. That makes sense, of course, because the vast majority of brony artists are solo artists. I've brought up collaborations between musicians in the past, but today I was reflecting on artist groups and how they should be handled in Pony.fm.

I feel like the simplest way for you devs to implement this would be to just allow an "Artist" field in the track uploader, which would override the Artist tags for downloads and maybe the artist name displayed with the track around the site, but I thought it might be cooler to allow Pony.fm users to create artist group pages that would function like any other artist page, in addition to showing which Pony.fm artists are in that group.

Whatchoogaizthink?

• Brohoof 3

This is a good point.

Perhaps a solution would be a group feature that links one's account to a larger group of individual accounts, and have that "group" function as a single artist on Pony.fm. Members of bands could be granted certain powers over the group (posting rights, etc.) depending on who started the group, and others could be granted the privilege of adding new members and such.

If that happens, then individual artists can still post their own music on their own pages, but should they decide to work as a team with some other musicians, then there can be a central account/page that listeners can visit if they strictly want to follow the collaborative works.

• Brohoof 3