Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Xbox One

Batbrony

(edited)

So, Microsoft just revealed their next console, Xbox One, in Redmond, WA.  For those of you who checked it out, share your thoughts below on what you think the next generation of gaming from Microsoft promises, what you think of the console itself, and what you think we might see from Microsoft at E3 this year.

Highlights for myself include the following:

(1) The emphasis on integrating the gaming, television, movie, music, and Xbox Live/Internet experience is quite impressive and consistent with Microsoft's emphasis on gaming, and entertainment in general, as a social experience that should be integrated.

(2) The announced "Halo" television series helmed by none other than Steven Spielberg himself absolutely blew my mind!!! img-1485674-1-biggrin.png

(3) The next COD title from Infinity Ward, "Call of Duty: Ghosts" actually looks quite impressive (and believe me, I'm VERY picky and skeptical about COD titles at this point).

As announced, Xbox One will launch with 15 exclusive titles, 8 of which will be brand new titles.  As for myself, I can't wait to see what else Microsoft has in store for gamers at E3 this year, and anticipate learning more about what is thus far a very impressive looking console for the Eighth Generation of gaming. img-1485674-2-smile.png

Edit: Admittedly, in the gaming area itself, the conference was pretty sparse, but that could be because E3 is right around the corner.  Instead of revealing all of the gaming capabilities now, Microsoft might've been approaching today's conference as sort of a preliminary thesis presentation in which it announces the company's overall vision for the Xbox One, while E3 will debut more titles and show off more of the console's actual gaming capabilities.  No guarantees of course, but that's my speculation and best guess/explanation for Microsoft's handling and execution of this announcement.

Edit #2: I put this in a more recent post, but figured I might as well update the OP with this latest information for those of you who still need to get cleared up on the whole used games thing.

This just in from Game Informer; Microsoft has released a statement that, while admittedly ambiguous in many respects, has definitively answered that there will be no fee for used games, although there will be some kind of authentication system that was not outlined in much detail in the announcement.  For more information, here's the full story:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/05/24/report-xbox-one-used-games-will-not-require-a-fee-will-require-authentication-checks.aspx

Edit #3: Here's a link to a fantastic article just posted by Game Informer in which a number of developers offer their thoughts and opinions on the Xbox One:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/28/what-developers-are-saying-about-xbox-one.aspx

Edit #4: Microsoft has confirmed at its E3 press conference that Xbox One will launch sometime this November, pricing it at $499.99.  Follow this link to Game Informer for access to more news and stories concerning the Xbox One and other news at E3 this week:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/07/your-e3-2013-news-headquarters.aspx

Edit #5: Microsoft has just officially dropped its infuriatingly complex and horribly promoted DRM policies originally planned for the Xbox One.  For full details, click the link below:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/19/report-microsoft-to-drop-used-game-restrictions-online-requirements.aspx

Edited by Thereisnospoon303
  • Brohoof 6

I thought it so far just changed the main menu again... just like they always do.  And I am a little upset at the fact it's IE.

On the other hand, even though COD is getting old, Call of Duty: Ghosts looks beautiful.  The new high poly, the HD textures.  I am looking very much forward to that and whatever the console may have to offer.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I thought it looked awesome. The new controller I'm not sure about though. I'm also very excited to see that Spielberg is directing a Halo television series!

post-15871-0-85097700-1369160248.jpg

Edited by LegionVersion3

Holy s#@% what a f%@$& disappointment. That was exactly what I feared. An underwhelming presentation of  75% gaf an 25% game. Looks like I am getting a PS4. Not like I was surprised, given the rumors of the Xbox One

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

You beat me to the punch, ah well. I am really interested in this console. The Xbox has always been my go to console, but I am more for the games which is why I have so many game systems. I'm not so sure about the design, it is nice and shiny, and it looks like is has a large vent, but it is pretty much a rectangle. I kind of like some curves, I like em' sexy. I still think the console looks nice though. At least Microsoft showed their console, unlike Sony.

I am happy that it has a blu-ray drive. The kinect 2.0 seems to be what the kinect 1.0 was suppose to be. I am actually looking forward to what the new kinect can do. I am liking the new features and things the new system can do. I am also interested in the Halo tv series, especially since Steven Speilberg is helming it. I am also interested in Call of Duty: Ghosts. It just might be the one Call of Duty that will get me back into Call of Duty. I stopped after Modern Warfare 2. I am also interested in what Quantum Break is, hopefully more will be revealed about that game at E3.

The new controller looks interesting, and I like that they moved the home button up so you don't accidentally hit it when pressing the start or back button. I am looking forward to what this console has to offer and I can't wait to see more at E3.

Have some links.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/xbox-one-interface-demo-6408651/

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-will-launch-this-year-6408632

Edited by Mr. Dash
  • Brohoof 1

They didn't address the always online thing, which has me very worried. I think the the connectivity of it is very impressive, I like being able to switch from tv to games to movies. Kinect seems more impressive but they really didn't do much with it so I can't really judge it. All the games they demoed look amazing. Halo TV series was unexpected. Good not great press conference. As of right now I'd give PS4 the edge heading into E3.

• Brohoof 1

They didn't address the always online thing, which has me very worried. I think the the connectivity of it is very impressive, I like being able to switch from tv to games to movies. Kinect seems more impressive but they really didn't do much with it so I can't really judge it. All the games they demoed look amazing. Halo TV series was unexpected. Good not great press conference. As of right now I'd give PS4 the edge heading into E3.

They already addressed that the always online thing wasn't going to happen.  2 reasons for this answer.

1. They put a 500gb SSD harddrive on it.

2. They said they weren't going to on twitter.

• Brohoof 2

The only thing I know and care about the new system is the name: Xbox One. 

I absolutely love it.

360 degrees = 1 circle

Xbox 360 --> Xbox One

This makes the inner mathematician in me happy.

• Brohoof 5

I think it's terrible to be honest.  Half the sales pitch sounded like it was that we can now shout at kinect 2 to change channels faster than we could before.  The controller is exactly the same as the 360.  The name of the console is potentially more confusing (and worse in my opinion) than the Wii U.  The other half of the sales pitch was sports games and I was pretty annoyed by that too because they're clearly trying to take advantage of the "liking sports makes you cool" bandwagon.  When a company markets its product on such things it comes off as weak and not fully confident of their product in my eyes.

The graphics were good, although probably not as good as the ps4 so they lose there.

The only significant improvement gaming wise in my opinion, came from their CoD presentation where it showed that you could lean around corners and shoot.  If that is made possible by the kinect 2 thing then they have finally found a good use for it, but in the grand scheme its so insiginificant that I don't care.  This conference really just showed me microsofts less concerened with people who want to play games and more concerned with the people who want to pretend that they're cool.

15 games next year, 8 new IPs.  Maybe I should be impressed but I'm not.  Maybe they're learning from one of the Wii U's mistakes but with so many exclusive games coming the first year I don't expect any of them to be really special.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Another thing that was forgotten is that it is not backwards compatible with the 360 and Arcade games. So you better hold on to your 360's if you still have 360 games and arcade games that you still want to play.

Have a hands on with Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/hands-on-with-xbox-one/

For those who worry about always online: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-will-not-require-constant-internet-connection-6408662

And here is the Call of Duty: Ghosts trailer: http://www.gamespot.com/call-of-duty-ghosts/videos/call-of-duty-ghosts-next-generation-reveal-trailer-6408664/

A comparison between the 360 and the Xbox One controller: http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-controller-vs-xbox-360-controller-fight/

Edited by Mr. Dash

They already addressed that the always online thing wasn't going to happen.  2 reasons for this answer.

1. They put a 500gb SSD harddrive on it.

2. They said they weren't going to on twitter.

Oh I must have missed that part, I was still under the impression that it might be always online. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• Brohoof 1

Holy s#@% what a f%@$& disappointment. That was exactly what I feared. An underwhelming presentation of  75% gaf an 25% game. Looks like I am getting a PS4. Not like I was surprised, given the rumors of the Xbox One

Other than the excessive language, I agree with this. Microsoft is widening their audience and it's not a good idea. They showcased too much of the media features and barely any gameplay. COD: Ghosts just isn't for me. It looks good but it's like every other COD game it's just a bland FPS with a new engine. They showed way too much sports games and there wasn't even any gameplay of those. Not only that but adding the feature of paying a fee to play used games is just a deal breaker for me. I want a console that plays games nothing else. I'm not going to watch TV on a console when I can just turn off the console and watch it on my own television. Plus 15 exclusives in the first year of launch isn't really an attractive number for me.

Not only that but making a claim saying that its like Rocket Science and its lag-free is no offense, complete and utter bullshit. No console or game will ever be lag-free. Plus having IE as a browser in the console is just a terrible idea as its not a very popular browser. Now i'm not a Sony or Microsoft fanboy but Microsoft has to redeem themselves at E3.

• Brohoof 3

At this point, E3 is gonna make or break this. I viewed this presentation as one that blows through the somewhat interesting changes just to get it out of the way. With so much time and emphasis placed solely on TV and other aspects, they better hit E3 hard with the power and games gamers are expecting from this console.

With less than 3 weeks to go, the stakes are pretty high.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)
The emphasis on integrating the gaming, television, movie, music, and Xbox Live/Internet experience

This is honestly what i fear most...

The focus is blur to me, as a consumer i can't see what they want to accomplish with the new console, put it in comparison with a PC and see how much "Innovation" there actually is. I'm being somewhat harsh but it's really not the way you want to reveal a NEW GAMING console. Especially not with a GRAPHIC comparison video! Grrr..

I could be wrong or biased, but i still stand by my words that i don't like the direction they're going with the next gen.

Edited by Leafeon
  • Brohoof 4

Oh yea, another thing, I forgot that they didn't talk about price. I didn't really expect them to at this press conference, but that probably means it won't be a universal selling point. So I'd guess somewhere in the $400-500 range.

(edited)

I'm going to make another post here. The conference was basically about announcing the new system, nothing more. It wasn't about showcasing a bunch of games. That's what E3 is for. It has been stated that Microsoft will be focusing on software and games at E3. That is where you will find your games. I wasn't expecting there to be a bunch of games shown at this event. This was done so they won't have to take up time at their E3 press conference and because Sony had a press conference on the PS4. I'm sure they will give some more details at E3 about the system, but they want to focus more on games there.

"Xbox executive Aaron Greenberg says Microsoft will reveal numerous platform exclusives and world premieres at E3".

Edited by Mr. Dash
  • Brohoof 1

Welp, I moved off the XBox wagon a long time ago, long before Kinect. I assumed Microsoft would do this, would continue on this road. It's okay. But it sounds like they want to be the ones to make your TV smart, but that's why we already have regular smart TVs.

Overall, not impressed, colour me the guy who won't be buying this thing. It's a nice idea, but I want to know more on games. What I expected of this, not another all purpose media device.

Dr. Light's reaction in this video just clearly describes a bunch of people's reaction to this entire conference. Which I find hilarious.

I dont really understand the need to bring out a new console, all it does it put more of a strain on the gaming industry, providing us with worse quality games because they've had to fill up disc space with stupid amounts of polygons for the higher graphical demand.

It's purely for money milking purposes if you ask me. 

That said, i'm stupid so i'll no doubt be buying it - even though my 360 works absolutely fine and has nothing wrong with it at all. 

Just as soon as Halo 5 is announced, it'll be in my house. Until then though I think i'll stick with my roots. 

On a different topic though, the Halo series that I have heard nothing about seems to be pretty damn cool - does this mean I have to start watching television now? 

It's a bit of a small comment to make but round of applause for the Xbox One's logo! Originality is the marketing departments middle name! *Sarcasm Overload*

Not much shown with the PS4s logo as a sign of a whole new generation.

Eeeeeeeeyeah....I just was not too impressed with this conference at all. While some of the features do seem neat, it is just building up Kinect more, which I just wasn't too fond of before anyways, the fact that they only showed two games and one of them was COD, was idiotic. They almost made a bigger deal out of COD than anything else at the show. I know that E3 is coming up, but come on, they could have showed anything other than a MULTI-PLATFORM title. 

Overall, the PS4 just seems like a much more appealing unit at this point. The fact that it is powerful, has a bunch of other features and STILL manages to have the games to back it up, impresses me. MS did say that there will be 8 new franchises, but only time will tell on those. I will wait to see more of course, but this was just a bad first impression.

(edited)

This is honestly what i fear most...

The focus is blur to me, as a consumer i can't see what they want to accomplish with the new console, put it in comparison with a PC and see how much "Innovation" there actually is. I'm being somewhat harsh but it's really not the way you want to reveal a NEW GAMING console. Especially not with a GRAPHIC comparison video! Grrr..

I could be wrong or biased, but i still stand by my words that i don't like the direction they're going with the next gen.

*See quote below along with my thoughts on it as well*

I'm going to make another post here. The conference was basically about announcing the new system, nothing more. It wasn't about showcasing a bunch of games. That's what E3 is for. It has been stated that Microsoft will be focusing on software and games at E3. That is where you will find your games. I wasn't expecting there to be a bunch of games shown at this event. This was done so they won't have to take up time at their E3 press conference and because Sony had a press conference on the PS4. I'm sure they will give some more details at E3 about the system, but they want to focus more on games there.

"Xbox executive Aaron Greenberg says Microsoft will reveal numerous platform exclusives and world premieres at E3".

Completely agree with this, that's exactly what I wrote in my edit to the OP essentially.  To repeat myself, here ya go:

"Admittedly, in the gaming area itself, the conference was pretty sparse, but that could be because E3 is right around the corner.  Instead of revealing all of the gaming capabilities now, Microsoft might've been approaching today's conference as sort of a preliminary thesis presentation in which it announces the company's overall vision for the Xbox One, while E3 will debut more titles and show off more of the console's actual gaming capabilities.  No guarantees of course, but that's my speculation and best guess/explanation for Microsoft's handling and execution of this announcement."

So yes, while I completely agree with Leafeon's observation that the conference was sparse in the gaming area itself (and honestly, most Microsoft E3 press conferences have been like this for the last few years as well), in this instance I get the feeling that, like you said Mr. Dash, they're simply trying to get these features out of the way so that they can devote most of their E3 conference to gaming itself.  Again, this is merely an educated guess, but if Microsoft's smart that's how they'll handle E3.  Here's hoping they deliver. smile.png

Edited by Batbrony

Overall, i'm left unimpressed by this. I have a feeling that MS are showing signs of desperation, by throwing in a bunch of unnecessary features, like having IE built in. Most people have a computer or laptop, what's the point of having a built in internet browser on a console?

I'm sticking with the PS4 for the 8th gen. Mostly because Sony has a better track record with new IPs and system exclusives.