Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Xbox One

Batbrony

I was pretty underwhelmed, really. I mean it looked nice, but honestly, it was more like "Here it is, you can watch all the TV you want with voice commands, and here's a look at about 3 games that are pretty much the same as what's already on the market".
I really don't care about watching TV, or switching tasks with my voice. I want to play games.

I'll probably get a PS4 and Wii U first, and just wait a while before I get the Xbox. 

This is marketed towards people who live in places where internet isn't crap....If you are on the internet all the time, I can easily see security problems to where I suspect we may get something of the PS3 fiasco all over again if Microsoft isn't careful.  Or they may hire someone to hack it themselves just as they have people creating viruses for their Window's systems....

This system also seems to be marketed strictly to shooter fans...

As someone from the outside looking in, you have to fall in very distinct categories to even desire one of these....It's not an "everyman's" gaming system as the Wii is or older gen consoles.  

meh...

(edited)

@@Batbrony

That's true and very good observation of their competitors, especially when Nintendo is looking really strong with their software lineup this year. It will be tough indeed.

I still have my concerns for their primary focus, i don't like the idea of having way too much emphasis on features that most people don't care about anyway. It's obvious they want to catch a bigger audience this time. The question is, are they truly getting bigger by widening their focus or will they get a different audience instead? For the better maybe?

I really don't know, we just have to wait and see i guess...

Edited by Leafeon
  • Brohoof 1

I might not get anything, might drop out of the gaming world soon with college and hopefully getting a job afterward. But the XB1 is rather disappointing. It's a software thing I know, but no backwards compatibility is rather sad. At least Destiny and Ghosts will be on the PS4 as well.

It feels strange about actually stopping gaming entirely.

Then again, when I raise my children, maybe I'll get back into it with Call of Duty Modern Ghost Warfare Ops VII Snickerdoodle.

(edited)

I have an update that will bum and maybe even tick a few people off. I am a littled ticked off about it.

All Xbox One discs must be installed to the HDD, and any preowned game will have a fee that you must pay in order to use it. So if you want to take a game to a friends house, you have to install it on their system and pay a fee. As of now, the fee is unspecified.

So you don't need to be always online to play, but you have to pay a fee in order to play a used game, or a friends game.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-has-preowned-fee-6408671

Edited by Mr. Dash

I have an update that will bum and maybe even tick a few people off. I am a littled ticked off about it.

All Xbox One discs must be installed to the HDD, and any preowned game will have a fee that you must pay in order to use it. So if you want to take a game to a friends house, you have to install it on their system and pay a fee. As of now, the fee is unspecified.

Yeah, just read that myself and that's pretty lame all in all.  There are ways that are far easier to market and less hostile to the customer to attract them to purchase new titles for the full price than this blatant assault on used game companies such as GameStop and the used games market in general.  The only way they can really fix this is make sure the fee is very, very, VERY LOW!!!  I mean, I get the incentive, but this affects ALL of Microsoft's customers directly.  Not a smart marketing move, if ya ask me.  Nope, not smart at all. sleep.png

There also WON'T be any backwards compatibility of Xbox 360 discs on the Xbox One, even though profiles and achievements WILL transfer over.  Based on how the software sounds like it'll work, this makes sense, but it's still kind of a bummer.  Still, I anticipate seeing what the actual gaming experiences on the device will be like at E3 in a few weeks.  Maybe Microsoft's just trying to get the bad news out of the way NOW so they can both do damage control AND make some really concrete announcements at the same time at E3.

Hmm...Going to wait until E3 to formulate a full opinion on Xbox One. Things I like are the OS, console design, controller design. I don't like mandatory Kinect though.

• Brohoof 1

Another thing that was forgotten is that it is not backwards compatible with the 360 and Arcade games. So you better hold on to your 360's if you still have 360 games and arcade games that you still want to play.

Wait, are you kidding??? It's not backwards compatible with 360 games??? That's really stupid...

Although the only way I could even afford the new Xbox is if I get a job soon...which isn't working out so far :/

Eh, I have my doubts about this new console. I do think that the new additions to the console are cracker jack! But I still have a bad feeling about this new console.

(edited)
All Xbox One discs must be installed to the HDD, and any preowned game will have a fee that you must pay in order to use it. So if you want to take a game to a friends house, you have to install it on their system and pay a fee.

Wow, seriously? I do that quite often with a good friend of mine, in fact, that's how I discovered a few games that I later purchased! A friend brought a fun game over (Rhythm Heaven), we had a great time and I enjoyed the game so much that I bought it for myself. While I'm slightly relieved that Microsoft didn't jump the gun and go with always online DRM, it's disappointing that they're trying to lock down on used game sales. I can understand why, but it feels like a moneygrab at the users' expense.

As for the console itself, I don't know, I just feel a bit underwhelmed. I probably won't buy it anyway, but I always like to keep up on the gaming news.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1

So you don't need to be always online to play, but you have to pay a fee in order to play a used game, or a friends game.

This sounds absolutely terrible at first but according to GameInformer once the game is installed on your hard drive, you don't need the disk anymore allowing you to pass it around to your friends. The awesomeness of this, of course, depends on said fee, but if the fee is less than $20 and drops in price depending on the demand for the game, this could be a cheaper way to have your group of friends playing the same games closer to launch. It also depends on how much a new game costs. Will they still be $60?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

http://youtu.be/TP_E6Bn6fWM

img-1485986-1-xboxonefamily.jpg

An eight-core CPU and 8GB of RAM power the console, which comes with a 500GB hard drive, a Blu-ray drive and built-in 802.11n WiFi. Microsoft is focusing on three methods of input for Xbox One: a physical controller, the next-generation Kinect motion sensor, and SmartGlass apps available for tablets and smartphones.

Xbox One's launch will be accompanied by an updated version of Xbox Live, which will rely heavily on cloud services, allowing users to play games as they're installed in segments in the background. Microsoft claims a "smart match" system will result in faster matchmaking and essentially eliminate waiting in game lobbies.

Xbox One combines Microsoft's Xbox operating system with the kernel of Windows, bridging the gap between the company's console gaming platform and other entertainment services and applications offered on its flagship operating system. The console's 64-bit architecture enables users to switch between the two environments on the fly or multitask between them. Users can snap separate programs or activities to different sides of the screen, as in Windows 8 – a demonstration of this capability showcased a user simultaneously watching a movie and video chatting with a friend through Skype.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox
One will not function without Kinect connected, continues Microsoft UK

https://twitter.com/kezamacdonald/status/336911318072320000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next Xbox won't require an Internet connection to function, but could very well block used games.

Wired got a look at Xbox One before today's big reveal, and they say that games will require installation to use. “On the new Xbox, all game discs are installed to the HDD to play,” Microsoft told them.
But games will be tied to an Xbox Live account, Wired concludes—or else you'd just be able to pass games around to everyone you know:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The
One won't play any existing
, said Microsoft's Marc Whitten in an interview with The Verge.

Edited by MadDoggyca
  • Brohoof 3

This sounds absolutely terrible at first but according to GameInformer once the game is installed on your hard drive, you don't need the disk anymore allowing you to pass it around to your friends. The awesomeness of this, of course, depends on said fee, but if the fee is less than $20 and drops in price depending on the demand for the game, this could be a cheaper way to have your group of friends playing the same games closer to launch. It also depends on how much a new game costs. Will they still be $60?

Actually, now that you've detailed just exactly what the install feature would entail, this fee actually isn't as crazy sounding as it once was.  It could actually in all honesty lead to Microsoft controlling the used games market in an efficient way that doesn't hostilely go after the customer, if implemented correctly.  Interesting, very interesting indeed.  Guess we'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.

• Brohoof 1

E3 will tell the tale for me, but I liked what I saw.

So far, this thread is basically the Equestria Girls rants but over video games.  "I saw small amount of information about thing.  I HATE THING THING IS MISTAKE COMPANY IS RUINED."

• Brohoof 2

I guess I am pretty excited for the next-gen consoles especially Xbox One. But the only way I would be getting them, is if there are very good upcoming games that will release on the next-gen consoles.

For those who have a bunch of friends, or find that they have too many friends and reach the 100 cap, never fear! The new Xbox One will allow you to have up to 1,000 friends! You heard that right. 1,000 friends! Never be lonely again!

• Brohoof 1

Overall, i'm left unimpressed by this. I have a feeling that MS are showing signs of desperation, by throwing in a bunch of unnecessary features, like having IE built in. Most people have a computer or laptop, what's the point of having a built in internet browser on a console?

I'm sticking with the PS4 for the 8th gen. Mostly because Sony has a better track record with new IPs and system exclusives.

I'm with this guy. The Xbox One has all these bells and whistles but it continues to put me in a state of unease. Just looks like...a waste in my honest opinion.

I watched the conference out of morbid curiosity, and that maybe, just maybe that Microsoft would show something good since I was yet undecided on next gen- turns out it's crap. I don't want a game console that's a one-stop entertainment center or some bull like that- I want something that plays games. And the games they showed were either CG like what stupid EA presented or stuff that didn't even look that much better than current gen with Call of Duty- slightly better lighting with reused assets just ain't gonna cut it. Plus the system will supposedly block used games by tying your games to an account which is not something a console should do with retail titles, so lol borrowing/lending/reselling according to them. Overall, like hell I'm buying this thing, PS4 and even Wii U seem to be much better choices for real gamers.

• Brohoof 3

I watched the conference out of morbid curiosity, and that maybe, just maybe that Microsoft would show something good since I was yet undecided on next gen- turns out it's crap. I don't want a game console that's a one-stop entertainment center or some bull like that- I want something that plays games. And the games they showed were either CG like what stupid EA presented or stuff that didn't even look that much better than current gen with Call of Duty- slightly better lighting with reused assets just ain't gonna cut it. Plus the system will supposedly block used games by tying your games to an account which is not something a console should do with retail titles, so lol borrowing/lending/reselling according to them. Overall, like hell I'm buying this thing, PS4 and even Wii U seem to be much better choices for real gamers.

Just fyi my fellow brony Xbox One does not block used games. To play used games on Xbox One, you are required to pay a fee in order to do so.

(edited)

Just fyi my fellow brony Xbox One does not block used games. To play used games on Xbox One, you are required to pay a fee in order to do so.

The problem with this concept is that in order for it to work, the Xbox has to know it's a used game, rather than a new one. Since the discs are read-only, the only way it would know if the game had been installed on another machine would be to connect to a central server online that is tracking installs.

You might not need to be online to play the game once it's installed, but you will need to be online in order to install any new (or used) games.

Plus, part of the pitch was that there would never be a 'wait for updates', even when starting up. Which means the Xbox is expecting to have a connection whenever *it* deems it necessary where it can download updates in the background and possibly even when the machine is technically 'off'.

Edited by Fhaolan

Im surprised the xbox one is black, it should be green. I sorry, but the xbox one has all these useless applications, that I will never use. Plus it doesnt have backwards compatability which just screams "I greedy, buy my stuff". Plus it is coming with a connect, all systems are coming with a connect, which will probably be an extra 100 $ on something we wont use. All this has going for is the graphics, which i felt, the meeting did not show at all. If the Xbox one is priced like the xbox 360 (with all these gadgets), i estimate, that it will be around $500. This is stupid, and something i personally didnt want. I just hope they keep on making games for the xbox 360 and the xbox 360 will still have live. This is all my opinion, so please dont send me death threats of something like that. I just needed to vent about this absolute bs move. Microsoft, i thought you were cool!

turns out you may have to be connected to the internet once a day to even play any game on it.  Including single player games that otherwise would have no point of even connecting to the internet

Theyre learning well from Simcity and Diablo III

• Brohoof 2

I'm a Xbox enthusiast, BUT.

I'm left unimpressed with Microsoft's turn out, especially considering that they put 8 or so years of R&D into it. The Xbox One seems like an entertainment system that just happens to also play video games as apposed to being a dedicated gaming machine. Which gives me the impression that they are marketing towards families rather than gamers. It completely goes against the Xbox heritage. I'll only be buying one when 343i announces their next Halo title which of course will be One exclusive. Until then i'll sign my life away with PC as i have done for the past 2 or so years. 

I fail to see how any one at Microsoft could walk out of there "Confrence" were they made this ideas shaking hands and congradulating the selfs, unless there intent was to kill of the xbox

At this rate, I'm just ready to hang up the old Xbox towel. Too many CoD's and stupid add-ons, we didn't really even get to see the actual thing in action, live. I'm not terribly impressed. I guess I'll be pre-ordering Borderlands 3 for the PC.