Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Xbox One

Batbrony

I really love Halo, which is my favorite video game IP. The problem though is that Halo is only on Xbox platforms and I'm really skeptical about the Xbox One. As of now, it feels more like a VCR meant to watch TV and movies then play games. Plus, I really don't like the always on thing.

Only time will tell.

I liked the tech I saw and I like the idea of not having to quit my game to visit the marketplace or something but until E3 comes around and shows these fifteen exclusives that include eight new franchises altogether I can't say much else.

Xbox One was a stupid idea for a name though the nickname I've come across, Xbone, is actually pretty sweet. I know the reasons for the name but that doesn't make it sound any less stupid. Good thing Xbone exists.

• Brohoof 1

*sees all the negative stuff and stuff that Xbox One can't support*

Sigh... Microsoft.

I really want to wait and give Xbox One the benefit of the doubt, but I am not going to lie, you are making it pretty hard....

• Brohoof 1

You know why they called it the Xbox One?

They knew just how many people would buy it.

Seriously though, this has to be one of the biggest mistakes microsoft has ever made. The Xbox One is going to tank, and I'm going to laugh when it happens.

If I'm wrong, I will be very sad.

I don't really have an opinion on it.

It's not really as bad as people are making it out to be.

I hate Sony, so I'm not grabbing that PS4.

I'm most likely going with a 3DS (for the new Pokemon games), and a PC. 

huh.png

You know why they called it the Xbox One?

They knew just how many people would buy it.

Seriously though, this has to be one of the biggest mistakes microsoft has ever made. The Xbox One is going to tank, and I'm going to laugh when it happens.

If I'm wrong, I will be very sad.

I got a better one for you:

Xbox Go Home, you're drunk!

A friend of mine commented on how they never should have said the words "Xbox Go Home" and man it's been stuck in my head since then.

(edited)

Here's Xbox One in 90 seconds. XD

I keep hearing the "they're saving the games for E3" line, but honestly... this is a gaming console. Put all of the bells and whistles on it that you want, but no one's gonna buy it if they don't plan on playing some games. If you're saving the games for E3, then don't bother with a pre-E3 reveal, because you're left with a bunch of filler extras that gamers are (at best) completely indifferent towards.

The lack of backwards compatibility and the fee for used games makes it almost a lock that I'll be sitting this generation out, and all future generations, until the console developers ditch these flagrantly unnecessary anti-consumer measures. They can't stand the idea of... *GASP*... people lending their games to friends without getting any money, so they make their console wring a few more dollars out of people they think they can take for granted.

Well, no more. The movie and music industry doesn't make me put up with garbage like this. They respect the fact that after I buy their product, all obligation in the producer-consumer relationship has been met. The item is my property, and beyond violating copyright I am free to do with it as I wish. And piracy? That will stop being a problem when game developers make their services as convenient as the pirates do. Look at what happened when the music industry embraced cheap digital distribution with iTunes. Music piracy isn't nearly the problem it used to be.

EDIT: Another awesome video on the reveal event.

http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-over-thinker-overbytes-xbox-one

Edited by Bhending the Rules
  • Brohoof 1

Look's interesting in my opinion I really like the new specs on it and the fact that it's using  PC architecture. It's good to see Call of Duty finally getting new graphics to compete with the other games out there :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm glad that I was never an Xbox fan. I was looking to give this a chance, but I'm far from impressed, and if a lot of what appears to be true then I definitely won't get one.

What made me laugh was that all my friends who own Xbox (Especially the Xbox megafans) when asked about what they think about the announcement, all they really seem to want to talk about is the Halo tv series. But a TV series isn't gonna convince me to get an Xbox One (That name......)

The Xbox One looks great.  I probably will not spend my money on it though and will stick with my Xbox 360.  I don't care very much for COD, I play battlefield.

The Xbox One looks like a neat piece of hardware, but it doesn't really speak out to me.  This thing doesn't look like a video game console, and for everything that they were questioned about, it seems they're backpedaling on most of the questions or don't want to reveal anything.  It's really hard to look at this and wonder if I should put money into this thing while there's still two other consoles to look forward to, along with my PC.  Let's look at some of the pros in this thing:

• New hardware built into it means better experience overall, which should be expected from a new console.  While still not as great as a PC, it's a definite upgrade from the 360.  And hey, it finally comes with a Blu-ray!
  • Microsoft is partnering up with the NFL so that their media attention for the One will come to great use.  While not a fan of the sport myself, I can see a lot of people loving the idea of instant coverage from the NFL through their televised needs.
  • Speaking of television, this thing should be easily integrated so you can watch television through it and switch back and forth from games to television easily and with no hassle or slowing down.
  • The Kinect is fully upgraded as well and it's bundled with every One (meaning it's a free piece), so lovers of that little piece will be able to play with better efficiency than the 360's version.
  • That controller looks to be wireless, which is a great thing to see finally done from the get-go.
  • They did state this console will be getting eleven exclusives, and eight of them are new IP's.  That's a pretty big deal seeing as most console gaming is made up of existing franchises with sequels.
  • From how things went, it looks like EA will be supporting the ever loving hell out of Microsoft's Xbox One.  So expect exclusive DLC offers and things to come just like it did with the 360.
  • Your 'gamerscore' will transfer over from your 360.  Along with this, the achievement system is getting an overhaul.
  • You can talk to your One!  Tell it to turn off or put in a game.  Neat idea there, though I'm wondering how they'll pull it off.
  • Dislike plugging in disks over and over?  No problem!  You can download your games into the One!  Just take your disk and download away!
  • You can plug in new HD's, so that'll allow you to store memory away in other places.
  • There's also going to be a Halo television series for the One directed by Steven Spielberg himself!

Some pretty good points here.  But, what are the cons?

• This thing looks like it was built to be a media center, not a gaming console.  Their presentation didn't even look like they were competing with Sony and Nintendo, more like they were competing against Google and Apple instead.
  • Absolutely no backwards compatibility.  It's not being considered at all.
  • Used games?  A deal of the past!  More or less, if you want to purchase a used game or even just borrow one from a friend, you have to pay.  By pay, I mean real cash to activate the privilege to play the used game.
  • We were barely shown anything related to gaming on a gaming console.  It seems like most of their showcasing was revolved around it's multimedia and what it could do, such as talking to a console.  For gamers, this felt like Microsoft forgot they were making a gaming console.
  • The downloading of games is a neat thing, but the hard drive size is not.  It's only 500GB, and you'll be using a lot of space real quick.  While they allow new HD's to plug in, that's additional things you'll have to buy for more space since the hard drives can NOT come out like the 360 ones.  Just so you know, a typical 1TB HD at Walmart (a Seagate) is $89.99 in the states, not sure about other countries.
  • Speaking of other countries, the multimedia aspect doesn't seem like it'll work all that well in other countries, such as over in Europe or Japan.  While I can't say for certain since I don't live there, from what I've been told from people there and read up, it won't be as well compatible as it would with American purchasers. 
  • The Online is confirmed to not always be online.  That's a good thing, right?  Not so much when you learn that you HAVE to plug it in at least once every twenty-four hours to be able to use your One at all.  Oh, and they did allow it so certain games could be always online if the publishers so desire...
  • Finally, and this is my opinion on things, it's ugly and has a horrible name.  Why in the hell would they name this thing the Xbox One?  I actually get why they named it the 360 now, because by doing one you're right back at the start with the Xbox.  Get why the called it the One now?  And why does this thing look like my old VCR?  Seriously, it's just so ugly looking. 

There's probably more to say here that hasn't been put out.  I've been scouring the internet for information and this seems to be the ones that appear the most.  Any others have something to add in on this?  For me, I'm not so certain, but I don't think I'll be going with the XBox One with how things are as of now.  The PS4 and the WiiU seem more interesting, and if anything I at least have my PC and Vita to play with.

• Brohoof 4

Having a stupid amount of money to throw around (yeah yeah, its my university loan :P), i decided to pre-order the Xbox One today at my local game.

I'm rather looking forward to it, not for any of the features, i couldnt give two bucks about them, mainly for the better hardware power, im looking forward to not feeling sick over how terrible the graphics on my Xbox are compared to my PC, its to the point that i cant even play Black ops 2 on my PC anymore, because when i get back onto it on Xbox i see how bad the graphics are in comparison and just ragequit it :/

The graphics from a console will NEVER be on par with those of a PC, but im hoping that the "One" will actually bridge the gap a little bit.

Oh btw, "One", worst name ever, am i right?

They could have gone for literally any other name and it would have been better.

• Brohoof 1

Having a stupid amount of money to throw around (yeah yeah, its my university loan tongue.png), i decided to pre-order the Xbox One today at my local game.

I'm rather looking forward to it, not for any of the features, i couldnt give two bucks about them, mainly for the better hardware power, im looking forward to not feeling sick over how terrible the graphics on my Xbox are compared to my PC, its to the point that i cant even play Black ops 2 on my PC anymore, because when i get back onto it on Xbox i see how bad the graphics are in comparison and just ragequit it :/

The graphics from a console will NEVER be on par with those of a PC, but im hoping that the "One" will actually bridge the gap a little bit.

Oh btw, "One", worst name ever, am i right?

They could have gone for literally any other name and it would have been better.

I'm genuinely curious as to why you preordered the Xbox One over the PS4 or buying the WiiU.  I mean, with the PS4 it'd still be the same graphical setup, though with different exclusives.  It's not like you can play any of your 360 games on it or it's got a proper advantage that we can see as of yet against the other consoles.

Personally, I believe everyone should wait until E3 has come and gone to give us some proper insight on the full capacity on the PS4 and the XBox One to choose between the two.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm genuinely curious as to why you preordered the Xbox One over the PS4 or buying the WiiU.  I mean, with the PS4 it'd still be the same graphical setup, though with different exclusives.  It's not like you can play any of your 360 games on it or it's got a proper advantage that we can see as of yet against the other consoles.

Personally, I believe everyone should wait until E3 has come and gone to give us some proper insight on the full capacity on the PS4 and the XBox One to choose between the two.

I chose the Xbox One over the PS4 because it will undoubtedly have the larger playerbase, it is also the one i know that my friends will be getting. I mainly play on PC, i literally only got an Xbox 360 Elite a few months ago for one reason and one reason only, to improve my sniper montages on Black ops 2, thats it.

Xbox wins over playstation for me just because it is what my friends are playing.

Early reports seem to show that the Xbox One wont play Xbox 360 games at all, if at E3 they don't announce some backwards compatibility with more recent games, then i may just cancel my pre-order, after all, i only laid down £25.

Edited by Lost

I chose the Xbox One over the PS4 because it will undoubtedly have the larger playerbase, it is also the one i know that my friends will be getting. I mainly play on PC, i literally only got an Xbox 360 Elite a few months ago for one reason and one reason only, to improve my sniper montages on Black ops 2, thats it.

Xbox wins over playstation for me just because it is what my friends are playing.

Okay, that's understandable.  Your friends are going to purchase it, and you want to make sure you can play with them.  And seeing as how EA is more or less a major supporter of the One, then you'll be seeing the usual exclusive early DLC and other things from them.  But are you really ready for the hassle of having to make sure you turn your system on at least once a day to connect to Microsoft's servers?  Or not being able to share games with your friends, having to pay a fine for the privilege to play a used game?

Personally, I don't think I can handle all that, not to forget the subscription fee of the Xbox Live that also needs to be added in.  But if you feel fine with all that, I hope you enjoy your purchase.  Just don't forget you may have to buy additional things, like more hard drive space, later on down the road.

I chose the Xbox One over the PS4 because it will undoubtedly have the larger playerbase, 

That remains to be seen. I know of many people who right now own a 360, but are not likely to be getting this new Xbox, mostly because of all the added fee's and and that they are tired of the Xbox exclusives (Halo, Gears mostly).

Having a stupid amount of money to throw around (yeah yeah, its my university loan tongue.png), i decided to pre-order the Xbox One today at my local game.

Wait, I JUST realized what you said here for a different reason!  How in the HELL did you preorder a console that doesn't even have a figure out for how much this thing is going to cost?!?!?!

For all you know, this thing is going to cost around $400, not including any taxes!  It might even cost more!  And that's not even including the games!  And there isn't even a proper release date for when this thing is coming out!  Seriously, you should try and get your money back until you get proper figures and see things at E3 or you just might be paying out of your ass trying to get one of these things.

(edited)

Xbox one having the largest playerbase is FAR from a sure thing, especially if the price is high and the rumors about used games and daily connection end up being true. In that case, Microsoft is in for a six-month long PR nightmare.

I recall many saying the same thing about the PS3 when the current gen was just beginning. Ask Sony about how that turned out. XD

Edited by Bhending the Rules

The Xbox One looks like a neat piece of hardware, but it doesn't really speak out to me.  This thing doesn't look like a video game console, and for everything that they were questioned about, it seems they're backpedaling on most of the questions or don't want to reveal anything.  It's really hard to look at this and wonder if I should put money into this thing while there's still two other consoles to look forward to, along with my PC.  Let's look at some of the pros in this thing:

• New hardware built into it means better experience overall, which should be expected from a new console.  While still not as great as a PC, it's a definite upgrade from the 360.  And hey, it finally comes with a Blu-ray!
  • Microsoft is partnering up with the NFL so that their media attention for the One will come to great use.  While not a fan of the sport myself, I can see a lot of people loving the idea of instant coverage from the NFL through their televised needs.
  • Speaking of television, this thing should be easily integrated so you can watch television through it and switch back and forth from games to television easily and with no hassle or slowing down.
  • The Kinect is fully upgraded as well and it's bundled with every One (meaning it's a free piece), so lovers of that little piece will be able to play with better efficiency than the 360's version.
  • That controller looks to be wireless, which is a great thing to see finally done from the get-go.
  • They did state this console will be getting eleven exclusives, and eight of them are new IP's.  That's a pretty big deal seeing as most console gaming is made up of existing franchises with sequels.
  • From how things went, it looks like EA will be supporting the ever loving hell out of Microsoft's Xbox One.  So expect exclusive DLC offers and things to come just like it did with the 360.
  • Your 'gamerscore' will transfer over from your 360.  Along with this, the achievement system is getting an overhaul.
  • You can talk to your One!  Tell it to turn off or put in a game.  Neat idea there, though I'm wondering how they'll pull it off.
  • Dislike plugging in disks over and over?  No problem!  You can download your games into the One!  Just take your disk and download away!
  • You can plug in new HD's, so that'll allow you to store memory away in other places.
  • There's also going to be a Halo television series for the One directed by Steven Spielberg himself!

Some pretty good points here.  But, what are the cons?

• This thing looks like it was built to be a media center, not a gaming console.  Their presentation didn't even look like they were competing with Sony and Nintendo, more like they were competing against Google and Apple instead.
  • Absolutely no backwards compatibility.  It's not being considered at all.
  • Used games?  A deal of the past!  More or less, if you want to purchase a used game or even just borrow one from a friend, you have to pay.  By pay, I mean real cash to activate the privilege to play the used game.
  • We were barely shown anything related to gaming on a gaming console.  It seems like most of their showcasing was revolved around it's multimedia and what it could do, such as talking to a console.  For gamers, this felt like Microsoft forgot they were making a gaming console.
  • The downloading of games is a neat thing, but the hard drive size is not.  It's only 500GB, and you'll be using a lot of space real quick.  While they allow new HD's to plug in, that's additional things you'll have to buy for more space since the hard drives can NOT come out like the 360 ones.  Just so you know, a typical 1TB HD at Walmart (a Seagate) is $89.99 in the states, not sure about other countries.
  • Speaking of other countries, the multimedia aspect doesn't seem like it'll work all that well in other countries, such as over in Europe or Japan.  While I can't say for certain since I don't live there, from what I've been told from people there and read up, it won't be as well compatible as it would with American purchasers. 
  • The Online is confirmed to not always be online.  That's a good thing, right?  Not so much when you learn that you HAVE to plug it in at least once every twenty-four hours to be able to use your One at all.  Oh, and they did allow it so certain games could be always online if the publishers so desire...
  • Finally, and this is my opinion on things, it's ugly and has a horrible name.  Why in the hell would they name this thing the Xbox One?  I actually get why they named it the 360 now, because by doing one you're right back at the start with the Xbox.  Get why the called it the One now?  And why does this thing look like my old VCR?  Seriously, it's just so ugly looking. 

There's probably more to say here that hasn't been put out.  I've been scouring the internet for information and this seems to be the ones that appear the most.  Any others have something to add in on this?  For me, I'm not so certain, but I don't think I'll be going with the XBox One with how things are as of now.  The PS4 and the WiiU seem more interesting, and if anything I at least have my PC and Vita to play with.

Thank you; that might be the most sensible post about the Xbox One I have yet to see from anypony else in this or any other Xbox One thread.  You logically, rationally, and sensibly put together an impartial and unbiased list of all of the pros and cons of the console that we know of as of yet.  While I don't agree with your overall consensus and am a little more hopeful of what the finished product will look like (especially if Illumiroom eventually gets integrated into it after launch, seriously, if that got properly integrated with the hardware, it'd be AMAZING!!!), I can respect the opinion you've formed because you've carefully measured all of the pros and cons based on what we know about it thus far.  There was no console bias, no focusing solely on the console's negative features; just an impartial and fair judgment.

Now, as for the lack of focusing on games at Tuesday's conference, my belief is that Microsoft is actually conducting a rather smart, balanced marketing strategy.  Yeah, they're taking flak for it now, but Tuesday's conference was a perfect way to highlight the Xbox One's home entertainment functions and features whilst saving gaming highlights for E3, which works since it's less than 3 weeks away.  I also kinda like the name; can't really explain why, but Xbox One just works for me, and I think eventually it'll work for more people as well.  I mean, people thought WiiU sounded stupid when it got announced; now, while the product itself may still be struggling, people seem to accept the name itself for what it is, and I also gotta say, Xbox One strikes me as far less stupid than Xbox 720 would've been.  That being said, I'll still probably wait at least 6 months if not even a year after its launch to purchase one, for a number of reasons.  One, I've still got a rather extensive video game backlog on the 360.  Two, launch titles aren't always the best the console has to offer, and hardware usually isn't at its best at launch either.  Three, I obviously need to hear about how the console functions and is received by the public at large first before I actually purchase one.  Still, overall, at the moment, I'm optimistic about what the finished product will look like, and am actually quite excited about the direction Microsoft's taking. smile.png

Wait, I JUST realized what you said here for a different reason!  How in the HELL did you preorder a console that doesn't even have a figure out for how much this thing is going to cost?!?!?!

For all you know, this thing is going to cost around $400, not including any taxes!  It might even cost more!  And that's not even including the games!  And there isn't even a proper release date for when this thing is coming out!  Seriously, you should try and get your money back until you get proper figures and see things at E3 or you just might be paying out of your ass trying to get one of these things.

I'm from the UK, it'll be in £ for me xD

I've set aside £500 for it, Game allows you to pre-order something that doesnt even have a value yet, i believe if you cancel the pre-order the deposit is effectively turned into in-store credit >.>

This Xbox will come out way after my university money comes through, which means a spending limit of around £2,000 for whatever i want, this year my first lot of university money paid for most of my PC build.

I miss being able to just buy a game and play it.  No internet required.   Could buy it used or new and it would not matter.  Time when you bought a Game, it was 100% all there, no patching required.   

I miss renting a game that was iffy to me, and playing it to see if I wanted to buy it. 

I miss A Bards Tale.  I think I'll go play that now.   One of 2 games that I got a used xbox for anyway lol,   2nd was DDR.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you; that might be the most sensible post about the Xbox One I have yet to see from anypony else in this or any other Xbox One thread.  You logically, rationally, and sensibly put together an impartial and unbiased list of all of the pros and cons of the console that we know of as of yet.  While I don't agree with your overall consensus and am a little more hopeful of what the finished product will look like (especially if Illumiroom eventually gets integrated into it after launch, seriously, if that got properly integrated with the hardware, it'd be AMAZING!!!), I can respect the opinion you've formed because you've carefully measured all of the pros and cons based on what we know about it thus far.  There was no console bias, no focusing solely on the console's negative features; just an impartial and fair judgment.

Now, as for the lack of focusing on games at Tuesday's conference, my belief is that Microsoft is actually conducting a rather smart, balanced marketing strategy.  Yeah, they're taking flak for it now, but Tuesday's conference was a perfect way to highlight the Xbox One's home entertainment functions and features whilst saving gaming highlights for E3, which works since it's less than 3 weeks away.  I also kinda like the name; can't really explain why, but Xbox One just works for me, and I think eventually it'll work for more people as well.  I mean, people thought WiiU sounded stupid when it got announced; now, while the product itself may still be struggling, people seem to accept the name itself for what it is, and I also gotta say, Xbox One strikes me as far less stupid than Xbox 720 would've been.  That being said, I'll still probably wait at least 6 months if not even a year after its launch to purchase one, for a number of reasons.  One, I've still got a rather extensive video game backlog on the 360.  Two, launch titles aren't always the best the console has to offer, and hardware usually isn't at its best at launch either.  Three, I obviously need to hear about how the console functions and is received by the public at large first before I actually purchase one.  Still, overall, at the moment, I'm optimistic about what the finished product will look like, and am actually quite excited about the direction Microsoft's taking. smile.png

That's just how I look at games and other things.  I look at both the pros and cons of things before ever trying to purchase something or even considering purchasing something.  I could've broken down the other consoles as well, since I've been keeping up on all the consoles, handhelds, and a little on the PC as well.  I've also either owned or played a lot on the consoles so I could get a better judgement on what they could do.  I've been through three Xbox red rings with three separate consoles, and that's why I owned a PS3 for a majority of my gaming time on a ship until I got home and got a PC and a Vita.

As of now, I'm actually leaning towards the WiiU for a console.  It's going to have an HD remake of Wind Waker along with Pikmin 3 and a future Super Smash Bros. game for it.  But for now, it's not a buy for me until I see some more third party games on that thing so I know later on down the road I'll have more games on it. 

I'll just wait to see in the upcoming E3 to show me the consoles before I decided on what console I should buy.  And I still think the One is a silly name, though once more, it's a stupid play on their 360 name if you think about it.  I really hope they do wind up changing how it looks in the very least.  Seriously, if they wanted to make it look like that, some wood paneling would've been great to see on that thing instead of making it look like... that.

I'm from the UK, it'll be in £ for me xD I've set aside £500 for it, Game allows you to pre-order something that doesnt even have a value yet, i believe if you cancel the pre-order the deposit is effectively turned into in-store credit >.> This Xbox will come out way after my university money comes through, which means a spending limit of around £2,000 for whatever i want, this year my first lot of university money paid for most of my PC build.

Trying to remember if that's pounds or Euros.  I'll go with Euros.  Either way, that means you're winding up paying even MORE than us!  Good god, are you insane?!  Seriously, you should've really held on waiting until after E3 to have done that.

Also, I've been inside those Game stores.  I recall being in one with a lot of DVD's and other things being sold as well, sort of weird.  Isn't that company going into hard times?  From what I've been told from people that used to buy from that store, I thought they closed up.

• Brohoof 1

Trying to remember if that's pounds or Euros.  I'll go with Euros.  Either way, that means you're winding up paying even MORE than us!  Good god, are you insane?!  Seriously, you should've really held on waiting until after E3 to have done that.

Also, I've been inside those Game stores.  I recall being in one with a lot of DVD's and other things being sold as well, sort of weird.  Isn't that company going into hard times?  From what I've been told from people that used to buy from that store, I thought they closed up.

It's pounds, i'm one of few English bronies on the forum ^^

No, Game is the prime retailer of games on the UK high-street, the only "bad" press they've had in recent years was their decision to buy out their competitor GameStation and re-brand all the stores to Game, meaning in my city alone we have either 3 or 4 Game stores :/

Nah, i ain't insane, i'm just taking the gamble of pre-ordering really early and hoping for the best rather than running the risk of having to pre-order late and not getting one around release date, big products like these tend to sell very quickly, the best example i could give is the Wii, we picked one up for £70 when it first came out, brand new, but because stock ran out everywhere so quickly, we made a profit by selling it to a store to resell as pre-owned.

If it looks bad at E3, i'll see about canceling my pre-order i think, but today was the first day of pre-ordering so i figured i would try get ahead of the crowds, as they are served out in the order that they were pre-ordered in.

That's just how I look at games and other things.  I look at both the pros and cons of things before ever trying to purchase something or even considering purchasing something.

Man, you have no idea how much I wish more people did that.  So many people have been losing their heads since the announcement and doing silly stuff like saying they know 100% everything they need to know about the Xbox One to determine whether or not they'll buy one.  It's just like, people, c'mon, be reasonable!  They announced it TWO DAYS AGO!!!  You can't possibly know EVERYTHING you need to know about the console at this point. happy.png