Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming The Xbox One

Batbrony

So, after mulling on it a few days, I honestly have no clue what I'm getting. Here's how I feel about each console.

Exclusives

Exclusives: There are three exclusives in all that I actually care about. Infamous: Second Son, Gran Turismo 6, and Forza 5. Infamous is something I would buy if I owned a PS4, but it's not something that would make or break that decision. Gran Turismo 6 is for the PS3 anyways, so since I'm keeping my PS3, I'll be getting it regardless of console. Forza is going to definately be one of the games I get first with my One, shall I decide to purchase it. It's not by much, by I say Microsoft wins it here.

Microsoft 1-0

Used Games

So, this is probably the one thing that has ruffled the most jimmies out of anything. Paying for used games.

Does it suck? Yes. But now it looks like that won't be the case entirely. If it does, it will probably depend on how much I'ts going to be per game to unlock it.

I don't really like this, and I'll throw this in Sony's favor, but I won't say for sure yet.

Tied 1-1

DRM-Always Online

Alright, this personally won't affect me much, seeing how my console is always connected to the internet.

Does it suck? Yeah. But like with the exclusives, I won't cry over it much.

The only time I see it being a problem is when you have an internet outage, or *gasp* a PSN type outage (I'll go over that later), but that rarely happens anyways.

Sony 2-1

Backwards Compatibility

This is another thing I don't really have a beef with. It's a minor inconvenience at best. Do I want to play Halo 4? Maybe I will, but I'll probably be able to buy it for cheap in the Marketplace, or buy an old copy online/at Gamestop and play it on my rusty trusty Arcade Xbox 360.

What about my current XBOX games? Well, if I ever decide I basically want to kill myself and play Madden 06 or MLB Manager, I can do so on my old, never RROD *knocks on wood* Xbox 360.

PS4, I'm not sure what it is doing, but I still have a perfectly fine working PS3.

Neutral on this one.

Online is really split.

Xbox's online IMHO is a lot better than PS3's. Cross party chat, along with just a more stable online experience make it, in my mind, a better experience. The only real con is that you have to pay, but I'm getting more money, along with me probably getting a job soon after release, it shouldn't be a horribly big deal. Doesn't hurt that you get EA and COD DLC early, plus I perfer the Xbox avatars over PSN's Home.

Sony is free, and that is a big plus and minus. You get the service for free, but no cross party chat, less stable, and more little kids and idiots (see: free), it kinda makes it an even tradeoff.

I have to end up giving it to Microsoft.

Tied 2 all

The controller easily goes to Microsoft. Microsoft pretty much has the better feeling controller now, and I feel that will stay the same.

The touchpad is a gimmick, and so is the One's vibrating triggers.

Nothing really to say. Microsoft wins easily.

Microsoft 3-2

Other

The Xbox has really done a good job in the multimedia department. And the voice command actually seems to work. The way they have incorporated so much into the system just makes it superb in my opinion. I probably won't use half of it, but it still is a nice touch.

(See earlier opinions about how I don't really care about other stuff like the entertainment part that isn't gaming)

The PS4 just has the Eyetoy it looks like, so that's a downside. And I really like having my Twilight Empire wallpaper on my XMB.

Closing Arguments

So, for closing arguments, I'll go over some basic stuff.

I'll defend Xbox first.

Xbox easily has the better online experience, and I see it being worth the money to play online. The other media options are astounding, and with my used games fear climbing down, I think the game verification isn't so bad after all. And while Xbox is just sitting there, the PS4 has only the Eyetoy, less multimedia options, and a far worse online experience.

---

This is the Sony closing argument.

Sure, Microsoft may have some great multimedia things, but PS4 still has the free internet, and for someone who needs pretty much every dollar he can get, that can add up. Plus, I get an improved controller, plus the ability to customise my XMB, and I get to keep my headset. And I also get to play used games without fear of penalties, and I don't always have to be on the internet.

I'll wait until after E3 to decide, and it looks like a computer is going to cost a lot more if I want a good one, so I might just end up buying a console instead.

• Brohoof 1

Gotta love how the Xbox One reveal has caused an almost 900% spike in Wii consoles sold at Amazon UK.

Good ole' Nintendo tips their hat to grubby Microsoft, while laughing all the way to the bank.

Not to mention Sony's shares went up on the day the Xbox One was revealed. Xbox One seems ok at the moment but still sticking to PS4 for now. 

At the end of the day, this is basically what we've got. If you haven't seen the presentation yet or if you need a tl;dr, no worries, I've got you covered.

img-1495528-1-8ae.jpg

img-1495528-2-7e5.gif

That in itself is a show of how horribly the Xbox One was presented. All the hype and everything, I honestly believed this new Xbox would take the gaming industry by storm. Instead, lo and behold, Microsoft makes a mockery of the masterpiece they were apparently making, as evidenced by the aforementioned hype. Either they save their asses at E3, or I'm done with the Xbox altogether.

By the way, I lol'd so hard at the Futurama gif XD

Hey ya'll, here's an excellent article posted by Game Informer in which multiple game developers offer their input and thoughts on the Xbox One at this point.  Really fantastic read, and I'd highly recommend taking the time to read it over; all of these guys have some really great insight and thoughts to offer. smile.png

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/05/28/what-developers-are-saying-about-xbox-one.aspx

(edited)

ACTUAL COMMENT:

I heard these weird rumors that you can play games on the Xbox One. I'm not entirely sure if these rumors are true, could anyone verify this for me?

Edited by StrobeFlashLite

(edited)

At the moment it looks like I'll be waiting for some killer exclusives before I buy this console. I agree with Team Meat in the above Game Informer article, as a core gamer the xbox one is doing very little extra for me that my PC can't already do. I am however impressed by the controller, it looks a lot better than the 360 pad and it seems that they've fixed the d-pad on that ting, so I will be getting one to hook up to my PC.

However!!! There is a massive issue here which I am not pleased with in the slightest. Not only will the xbox one ship with the new Kinect anyway but you cannot use the console unless you have a Kinect connected to it. I'm sorry but since when did core gamers ever use the Kinect? I have no intentions of using Kinect, ever, so why on earth are Microsoft forcing me to buy one? Not only will this drive the price up but core gamers will move to the PS4 because they do not want a silly gimmick permanently attached to their gaming (well we say gaming) device.

Sauce: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Edited by Aaramus

:o i cant wait for the xbox one even though im not much of  a console gamer but the xbox one looks amazing 

cant wait even though its going to be about £300 :L

(edited)

At the moment it looks like I'll be waiting for some killer exclusives before I buy this console. I agree with Team Meat in the above Game Informer article, as a core gamer the xbox one is doing very little extra for me that my PC can't already do. I am however impressed by the controller, it looks a lot better than the 360 pad and it seems that they've fixed the d-pad on that ting, so I will be getting one to hook up to my PC.

However!!! There is a massive issue here which I am not pleased with in the slightest. Not only will the xbox one ship with the new Kinect anyway but you cannot use the console unless you have a Kinect connected to it. I'm sorry but since when did core gamers ever use the Kinect? I have no intentions of using Kinect, ever, so why on earth are Microsoft forcing me to buy one? Not only will this drive the price up but core gamers will move to the PS4 because they do not want a silly gimmick permanently attached to their gaming (well we say gaming) device.

Sauce: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-will-not-function-without-kinect-attached

Rumours right now have the PS4 being bundled with the Eyetoy, so it might be that whichever you buy, you will be stuck with it.

The thing that gets me with Kinect, is that it's always on. I don't really want it looking into my room all the time.

Then again, I'll probably just stick a piece of masking tape over it.

Edited by Flareon

I have a theory that either a Sony or Nintendo employee went to go work for Microsoft just to  sabotage this system and ruin the xbox, you should never ever take away renting/ trading / burrowing video games that's sacred tradition of gaming you don't dare even try to touch that, i get you are trying too stop hackers and make money  but if you challenge them they will challenge you right back and exploit the shit out of your product , remember game revenue is important I understand  but you cant cant hurt your consumer and take away the freedom of gaming, especially if your competition is making it that used games are possible and the competition is more powerful than you , you need to step up microsoft you gotta show the world this tuesday that these games are the reason to buy xbox  but when  you are running against games like supersmash bros 4 and metal gear solid  5 , good luck , your tv and  sports cant save you 

Some news and updates. Sauce

• 24 hour offline limit on primary console. After that, games will be unplayable
  • 1 hour offline limit on any other console. Same as above.
  • Publishers can decide whether to support or drop game resales
  • Giving a disk away to a friend requires that they be on your friends list for at least 30 days. This can only be done ONCE
  • Up to 10 "family" members can have access to your games from any Xbox One from any console through the shared games library
  • Renting and loaning will NOT be available at launch date

>mfw

I can't even help you anymore Xbox One

• Brohoof 1

I have a theory that either a Sony or Nintendo employee went to go work for Microsoft just to  sabotage this system and ruin the xbox, you should never ever take away renting/ trading / burrowing video games that's sacred tradition of gaming you don't dare even try to touch that, i get you are trying too stop hackers and make money  but if you challenge them they will challenge you right back and exploit the shit out of your product , remember game revenue is important I understand  but you cant cant hurt your consumer and take away the freedom of gaming, especially if your competition is making it that used games are possible and the competition is more powerful than you , you need to step up microsoft you gotta show the world this tuesday that these games are the reason to buy xbox  but when  you are running against games like supersmash bros 4 and metal gear solid  5 , good luck , your tv and  sports cant save you

Here is some irony for you. Former Sony VP Phil Harrison works at MS now. He was the first one to inform the public about these pathetic 'features' of the Xbox One in an interview.

This theory actually holds some ground, because I cannot see how Microsoft is serious at this point. They just completely abandoned all of those who do not have Internet or at least broadband. Microsoft has the gone the way of Atari and has gone insane.

Here is some irony for you. Former Sony VP Phil Harrison works at MS now. He was the first one to inform the public about these pathetic 'features' of the Xbox One in an interview.

This theory actually holds some ground, because I cannot see how Microsoft is serious at this point. They just completely abandoned all of those who do not have Internet or at least broadband. Microsoft has the gone the way of Atari and has gone insane.

insane you say....

twilightcrazy_display.gif

Yea. I don't know what Microsoft is thinking with the sports, kinect and all that jazz.....I never used the Kinect on 360 and I don't plan to either. I like something physical, like a controller, in my hand. I also don't play or like sports games....only "Sports" game I ever bought was EAs  NASCAR 11....as for TV? I got satellite for that, or Youtube.

EAs  NASCAR 11

EA's last NASCAR game was NASCAR 09 back in 2008, so you either mean NASCAR the Game:2011 or NASCAR 09.

Personally, I don't really use that kind of stuff. I never trade in games, I buy most games new, and I don't really have a problem not buying them from Gamestop, given all my bad experiences with them. dry.png

I don't have friends to lend/get lent from (or at least we don't lend).

My console is always hooked up to the internet, so that isn't a problem.

Plus, I don't usually rent games, sucks that you can't do that, but eh, is what it is.

Right now, I'll still probably end up getting an Xbox One, just because my best friend is moving to Texas, and some of my other friends are getting them.

not sure what year it is..could be 09' it had the COTs in it and had Jeff Gordon on the cover as well as a "host" "Commentary" person.it was the last EA Nascar anyways. That was back when I followed Nascar and liked it....not so much anymore.

I quoted you guys since it seems you're the people that want an Xbone in the end, even with what Microsoft said is going to happen with their console.  That's cool, totally up to you.  I'm just bringing something up that isn't even being discussed for some strange reason that NEEDS to be discussed, and hopefully others will see this too.

I just realized a major problem with the Xbone that I'm hoping everyone will reply to here or at least read this.

Let's take a look into the future, when you've got a great gaming library for your console from Microsoft and they're got their newest console out on the market.  The next generation comes out from Microsoft... but what of the Xbone?

They'd be moving on to the next generation, so the Xbone wouldn't be as important anymore.  Sure, they'd keep up with maintenance and some of the servers for a few more years until the next generation is fully in place (I expect that to be around two years time), but then what? 

It's going to turn into a brick, that's what.  All those games you bought for it?  All the DLC and downloaded games you have?  All the time you put into your saves and needing to connect every twenty four hours, what's that say about when this stops?  Without the servers to play them, it's just a piece of junk lying around. 

You won't be able to keep playing the games for very long after the next generation comes out at all, and it's a near guarantee that the Xbone games won't work on the next console. I can go out and buy a PS2 right now and still play PS2 games.  Same with an original Xbox, Gamecube, Super Nintendo, Atari, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, or even current gen's like a PS3 or 360.  In the future, Xbone won't work for you people.

I'm surprised no ones even thought of this or that this topic was ever brought up once.  So once more, look into what you want and take this into real consideration when buying a console, whichever one you wind up choosing.  The WiiU and PS4 won't have this restriction and you can keep your gaming library for life if you wish.  Not with the Xbone.

Like I said before, I won't be buying one at launch, and if/when I buy one it'll be a year later. when  prices have dropped and they got the next version of it out and there'es more games....or I"ll get it when the 360 is no longer supported online.I knew about the stuff not transfering over to the new xbox. Which makes me think I may go to PS4...asIt'd be really nice to carry over my gamercore, games,DLC, game saves over to the next console.But whoknows that might jsut be rumors as well...won't know for sure till E3.

The only gripe I have about the PS4 is if they've changed the controller or not....as I've always hated the PS 2 and 3 controller....When I palyed The Original Xbox that controller felt no much nicer to hold then the PS2 controller...and same holds true for the PS3 and 360 controllers....

I quoted you guys since it seems you're the people that want an Xbone in the end, even with what Microsoft said is going to happen with their console.  That's cool, totally up to you.  I'm just bringing something up that isn't even being discussed for some strange reason that NEEDS to be discussed, and hopefully others will see this too.

I just realized a major problem with the Xbone that I'm hoping everyone will reply to here or at least read this.

Let's take a look into the future, when you've got a great gaming library for your console from Microsoft and they're got their newest console out on the market.  The next generation comes out from Microsoft... but what of the Xbone?

They'd be moving on to the next generation, so the Xbone wouldn't be as important anymore.  Sure, they'd keep up with maintenance and some of the servers for a few more years until the next generation is fully in place (I expect that to be around two years time), but then what? 

It's going to turn into a brick, that's what.  All those games you bought for it?  All the DLC and downloaded games you have?  All the time you put into your saves and needing to connect every twenty four hours, what's that say about when this stops?  Without the servers to play them, it's just a piece of junk lying around. 

You won't be able to keep playing the games for very long after the next generation comes out at all, and it's a near guarantee that the Xbone games won't work on the next console. I can go out and buy a PS2 right now and still play PS2 games.  Same with an original Xbox, Gamecube, Super Nintendo, Atari, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, or even current gen's like a PS3 or 360.  In the future, Xbone won't work for you people.

I'm surprised no ones even thought of this or that this topic was ever brought up once.  So once more, look into what you want and take this into real consideration when buying a console, whichever one you wind up choosing.  The WiiU and PS4 won't have this restriction and you can keep your gaming library for life if you wish.  Not with the Xbone.

First off, no, I'm not set on which console I'm for sure going to buy later this year. I'll wait until after E3 to decide which one that is.

As for your point, I don't see it being a problem. As long as your connected to the internet, I'm almost positive you will still be able to play games. You don't have to update so often, you just have to be connected every 24 hours update or not.

As for the games part, even if they don't have backwards compatibility on the Xbox2 or whatever it's called, I seriously, SERIOUSY, doubt that they would just go delete games off of your cloud. Which means, as long as you can access that cloud, you should be able to play that game.

Well ive heard about the XBOX ONE many places like the internet and my brother,and at first it looked interesting,but after a slight message from the news,they said for the new XBOX ONE you need a liscence from Mixcrosoft to play many of its games and if you want to play your games at a friends house the you need to register your games for your friends system,i wouldnt waste your money on this system,i mean i kinda looks cool,but the new rules for it a ppuuuhhh,yeah so don't buy it!!!mellow.png

First off, no, I'm not set on which console I'm for sure going to buy later this year. I'll wait until after E3 to decide which one that is.

As for your point, I don't see it being a problem. As long as your connected to the internet, I'm almost positive you will still be able to play games. You don't have to update so often, you just have to be connected every 24 hours update or not.

As for the games part, even if they don't have backwards compatibility on the Xbox2 or whatever it's called, I seriously, SERIOUSY, doubt that they would just go delete games off of your cloud. Which means, as long as you can access that cloud, you should be able to play that game.

I'm also waiting on E3 to see what console I'll be looking into, or if I'll just have to stick with PC this time around. 

As for what I said, when a company wants to sell their product, especially one that's an upgrade to a previous model, they need to find ways to push it out.  Stopping services from a previous model is one way to do that.  Sure, they'll keep it up for a while as the next generation rolls out and might even find solutions into moving the games over in some way, like passports that you purchase for a price (just an example).  But eventually, they'll stop their services for this system.  Why would they continue to have servers up on a system they're not making money off of when a new console's out?

And that cloud thing might be how they transfer things over to the next console, it seems likely and might be what they were planning as one of the results into using cloud gaming.  But, they've started to give the developers more freedom than usual, such as giving them the ability to make games have to use internet fully to play games or to lock out if their games can even be traded in or bought used.  They may also give them the ability to see about moving their games to the next console transfer over as well.  Who knows if there's going to be additional fees or if they decide to force people to purchase the game once more.  Of course, this is all speculation on my part since this is really far down the road, but it would be nice to have them address this stuff as well for people like myself or the many people I know that hold onto their game systems and game library's.