Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Moments in The Show That Pissed You Off.

A Talking Dragon

The whole "we've turned into bullies ourselves" thing from One Bad Apple.

The trap was set in a way that required Babs to steal the float in order to trigger it. It's actually a masterpiece of a trap if you think about it: the one and only way it could trigger is if Babs herself chooses to be a bully. The whole trap depends on her doing something cruel, which means it can only be her fault if she falls in it.

But then, the CMC somehow feel like they're the ones who actively tried to bully Babs. They just set the trap, Babs would never have triggered it had she not initiated the bullying herself.

Of course I'm glad the whole thing was resolved without Babs getting humiliated, the fact that it was obvious from the start that she was only lashing out because of her own self-esteem issues made her sympathetic. I just think the CMC are being too hard on themselves.

The writer missed a great opportunity to point out the subtle difference between revenge bullying and cases where the victim got in trouble by their own fault. It would have been nice to see Babs admit that she would never have sprung the trap if she wasn't a bully to begin with.

I somewhat disagree. The CMC caused Babs to do it, fully knowing that their actions would manipulate her into doing something bad. Babs, of course, is also to blame, but if the CMC hadn't so purposely tempted her with a "you just gotta steal this" float, then Babs would not have stolen it.

What you're saying is like setting up a mousetrap, then saying that it's all the mouse's fault for getting caught because it wanted the cheese. They didn't expect Babs to rethink stealing their float - they made sure she would steal it. They organized it that way not because "nothing bad will happen to her if she does the right thing", but because they knew it would happen, and they wouldn't get in trouble or incur revenge afterwards. Basically, they wanted to be mean to Babs without having to dirty their own hands.

What matters most isn't who's to blame for the trap, but rather, the fact that the CMC truly wanted to publicly humiliate Babs and make her suffer. Therefore, the CMC aren't apologizing for their actions specifically, but rather their intentions. They realized that "payback" isn't the right reaction to being bullied - instead, they should have gotten help to end the bullying in a way where no one gets hurt.

The lesson, as I see it, is that no matter how they planned it and how they legally or morally tried to keep their hands clean, the fact is that they wanted a pony to suffer because they didn't like her. It doesn't matter if she "deserved it" - purposely causing someone to get hurt is never the right response to anything, especially if there's a more peaceful solution like telling an adult.

I agree that Babs is also at fault, but considering that the focus of the episode seems to be on "how you should react to bullying" rather than "bullying is bad", I can understand why the writers did what they did. I do think they could've made the difference clearer though.

I thought about replying to this post for a very long time, so here it goes. It absolutely KILLS me when i watch putting your hoof down, it just presses my buttons in all the wrong ways. When i watch it i squirm in my seat. I don't know why, but flutter shy going off like that really pissed me off, and i don't mean to sound like little girl, but when she said pinkie pie and rarity were worthless, flutter shy lost ALLOT of points in my book. She is still my favorite, but that episode makes me cringe just thinking about it. Other then that, their isn't any really big moments that just make my blood boil.

I can kinda understand Fluttershy's psychology in that episode, so I don't see that moment so harshly. Everyone is always looking down on Fluttershy, and it doesn't bother her because she thinks it's normal. Once she becomes assertive, she realizes just how much she was stepped on and mistreated before.

Thus, when her friends express their concern that she's overdoing it, she misunderstands, thinking that all this time, her friends only considered her a doormat they could step on, and now that she can stand up on her own, they don't like her anymore. Feeling betrayed by who she thought were her closest friends, she understandably lashes out in a moment of hurt.

In other words, her anger towards Pinkie Pie and Rarity was born out of how pathetic she found her own self, thinking that there's absolutely nothing likable about "old Fluttershy", and "new Fluttershy" is stronger and more independent. She couldn't comprehend why anyone would like the useless past her unless it's so they could have someone to look down on. Therefore, lashing out was a direct result of how little she felt she was worth. Her friends realized this, which is why they were so worried that they came back for her not long after the confrontation.

My heart goes out to Fluttershy for this reason...She's always suffering from her lack of self-esteem, even if it's not fully apparent. Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter, if it helped any.

Edited by Blique

I just remembered something...

In the Hearth Warming Eve episode it is explicitly said that unicorns control the sun and the moon. Celestia and Luna are not mentioned at anytime. However, the flag in the end clearly shows two freaking alicorns along with both celestial bodies. WTF?! It may represent the unity between the three races, however. But then why does it show them along with the celestial bodies. The dark one seems associated to the moon and the clear one to the sun. It's weird because the flag is making mention of the unicorn's function, but not of the functions of the pegasi and earth ponies.

Maybe moving the celestial bodies actually took a great effort and alicorns that could move them alone where some sort of mythical figures? Did the episode show nothing more than a cautionary tale that doesn't represent the truth? Or the fact is that the producers didn't even think about it?

Thoughts, anyone?

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie made me mad in that episode. She was actually BULLYING Luna! That wasn't like her at all. Didn't she stop to think that it was wrong to try to teach the colts and fillies to be afraid and to scream every time they saw her?

I can see why this would make you mad, however, I just thought Pinkie was so caught up in the nature of nightmare night that she just didn't realize she might be hurting Luna's feelings. Also at the same time Pinkie seems oblivious to Luna canceling nightmare night. So i never gave that much thought untill now.

what I think bothers me the most is Spikes status. He flip flops from friend to servant so much its uncomfortable. I think he works better as their friend and occasional voice of reason. this might be why my favorite moment in EQG is where Spike slaps Twilight in the back of her head when she accidentally says "everypony". Its just there are moments where hes made to look like less that the other. hes already an outcast for buck sake don't make it worse. at the same time my favorite moment is during Dragon Quest when Twilight acknowledges Spikes need to discover himself, even if she dose fallows after him like a worried mother anyway :P.

• Brohoof 2

Rarity not sure whether or not too add more ribbon. If I'm supposed to believe Rarity is a fashion expert, she'd better damn know that ribbon is gaudy an doesn't need to be there. Totally broke my suspension of belief of this show involving magical talking ponies.

Well there haven't been moments that completely piss me off and drive me off the wall but I have been annoyed before ;)

Boast Busters-Every Spike and Snips and Snails appearance

Magic Duel-Trixie's redemption, I mean she enslaved the whole town and even put the mayor in cage damn it and YET SHE GETS AWAY WITH JUST A POUTY FACE AND A SORRY!! Trixie is a good character and had potential for a backstory and a better redemption than that. Also every Snips and Snails scene

Spike At Your Service-I really just don't like Spike's role in this episode. SINCE WHEN IS HE SUCH A KLUTZ?! He's baked delicious cookies before, and cleaned the library, yet for some reason can't seem to clean one dish, make a pie or clean a kitchen properly in this episode just GAH!! :angry: They changed him so much just to make an episode out of it. It wasn't worth it, it just made poor Spike look bad.

Putting Your Hoof Down-An episode alot of people seem to have problems with. They really went overboard with Fluttershy's rage storm, I mean MAKING HER FRIENDS CRY IS UNFORGIVEABLE AND HORRIBLE!! :angry: I also don't like how everyone blames Iron Will for the whole thing. If it were his fault there would be more angry ponies like Fluttershy around. BUT THERE AREN'T!! If the other ponies payed for the seminar, it means they were satisfied, therefore they are using Iron Will's techniques the RIGHT way. Fluttershy just took things too far, but don't blame Iron Will and call him a monster for it.

Edited by Pink Mist
  • Brohoof 1

In the Hearth Warming Eve episode it is explicitly said that unicorns control the sun and the moon. Celestia and Luna are not mentioned at anytime. However, the flag in the end clearly shows two freaking alicorns along with both celestial bodies. WTF?! It may represent the unity between the three races, however. But then why does it show them along with the celestial bodies. The dark one seems associated to the moon and the clear one to the sun. It's weird because the flag is making mention of the unicorn's function, but not of the functions of the pegasi and earth ponies.

Maybe moving the celestial bodies actually took a great effort and alicorns that could move them alone where some sort of mythical figures? Did the episode show nothing more than a cautionary tale that doesn't represent the truth? Or the fact is that the producers didn't even think about it?

Thoughts, anyone?

Simple. The flag seen is a modern prop that they used in the play, not the actual flag that was there at the time. Remember that the story kept switching from "the ponies playing characters on the stage" and "the actual ponies the play was about". RD even winks at the audience. She doesn't usually have fourth wall powers, so we can conclude she was winking at the audience of the play. And it was from the founding of Equestria, better than 1000 years ago. How would they know what a flag from that long ago looks like? Far more likely for them to simply grab a modern flag.

Actually, you can see the painted stage behind them as they raise the flag. It was a prop. 

Edited by Full Spectrum
  • Brohoof 3

The musical numbers in Mystery Magical Cure. There were so many that my suspension of disbelief broke and I was like WTF TOO MUCH CHOREOGRAPHY.

But to be serious, nothing in this show has ever annoyed me. I take the show for what it is since it's so simple, a reason I think it's so enjoyable for me.

I can agree with this apart from when they took Derpy out of s2e14 on the Itunes/new versions that get shown on TV.

That REALLY annoyed me at the time,  she's one of if not the most loved character on the show!

Spike At Your Service-I really just don't like Spike's role in this episode. SINCE WHEN IS HE SUCH A KLUTZ?! He's baked delicious cookies before, and cleaned the library, yet for some reason can't seem to clean one dish, make a pie or clean a kitchen properly in this episode just GAH!! :angry: They changed him so much just to make an episode out of it. It wasn't worth it, it just made poor Spike look bad.

Another problem is that Applejack went and gone soft on the dragon. She was suppose to handle this at least like Winter Wrap Up when Twilight messed up. Applejack is good at criticism but she just folds on Spike. It's like the others don't know how to handle Spike. At least Twilight will call him out when he makes a mistake and he doesn't cry about it.

Edited by Singe

For me. Every time Celestia gets Twilight to do her *swear*. Celestia is God! She can do it all herself. But no! "I'll make Twilight do it because I'm lazy, fat, and want Twilight to "Learn" friendship."!  Feels good to vent it all out.

Thoughts, anyone?

Actually I think that its because the Alicorns on that flag weren't Celestia and Luna, but their parents(confirmed by Lauren that they have one)

Anyways  one of the things that pissed me off was the fact that Iron will was blamed for the things that Fluttershy did and even got called a monster even though he did not even harm Pinkie Pie and Rarity when they were in his way.

also that Owl that ends well I just wanted the Owl to be beaten up for some reason. perhabs his whos piss me off

Moments in the show that aggravate me are cheesy moments normally near the end of an episode. Like in The Last Roundup. Fluttershy: "Applejack, we can always find a way to fix that hole in the roof. But if you never come back, we'll never be able to fix the hole in our hearts." That's one example.

• Brohoof 1

The Raise this Barn song, pissed me off to infinity and beyond, because the writers could have done a much better job and put in more effort to give Apple Jack a good song. Raise this Barn sounded like something that Hi5 would sing or something I would hear on Barney

• Brohoof 1

The cutie pox - I didn't like how the lesson at the end was about "not lieing to your friends." Apple Bloom should have written about how it's wrong to take things that don't belong to you, especially since she stole the hearts desire for selfish reasons.

Putting your hoof down - I hated how mean Fluttershy was being to Pinkie and Rarity even though they were the ones that wanted to help her become more assertive.

Ponyville confidential - I thought the way the adults treated the Cutie Mark Crusaders was cruel considering that they loved the Gabby Gums stories until they had an article. I might have liked the episode more if the adults learnt a lesson about hypocrisy. I think Rarity was the only one who handled it in the best manner possible.

Canterlot wedding Part 1 - I strongly disliked how the episode contradicted two lessons from the same season. Twilight was the one who told Pinkie in the previous episode to never jump to conclusions and she just burst in the room making accusations with no solid evidence. The other lesson was to take your friends feelings seriously and the other 5 and Spike just gave Twilight the cold shoulder. It felt like they only cared about their reputation as they did not know Cadence personally. I believe Shining Armor was the only excusable one as Chrysalis might have also absorbed his sibling love for Twilight.

One bad apple - I hated how cruel Babs was being to the Crusaders as she did things I don't think Diamond Tiara would have done. I think they should have at least showed her having doubts about being mean because it felt cold hearted that she did not care about the the feelings of the Crusaders and Applejack mentioning about Babs being bullied in Manehattan kind of felt liked a forced way to feel sorry for her.

Games ponies play - It bothered me how Rarity was given the most screen time in the clips before the episode was released but she was actually pushed to the side with very little involvement in the plot.

• Brohoof 2

The return of Trixie in Magic duel. Before the Trixie fans kill me let me say that I like Trixie and she was a good antagonist in boast busters, mainly because she did not fall into the patter of an un-original villain.

Boast busters Trixie

Boast: Yes

Monologue: No

Laugh: No

NOOOOO: No 

1/4 boxes ticked, an Original Villain which is what we want, antagonists that are not predictable and do not do the same thing that has been done 1000 times over.

Magic Duel Trixie:

Boast: Yes

Monologue: Yes

Laugh: Yes

NOOOOO: No

3/4 boxes ticked, an un-original villain, with predictable actions and lines, I could see how she was going to be beat from a mile away, just not as fun as her first appearance. So yeah this kind of pissed me off big time because Trixie is a great Villain and I would love to see more of her, but more like her original self from season 1.

Here's another one, but I didn't realize it until multiple viewings later.

A Canterlot Wedding part 1. The rest of the Mane Six abandoning Twilight at the end. On one hand I understand that it makes for great drama, and you really need to have Twilight totally isolated at that point for story purposes, and it did make for great story. But on the other hand it was done at the expense of the other five main characters.

It didn't bother me when I first saw it, but the more I watch it the more it bugs me.

• Brohoof 1

I was annoyed with Discord's 'reform' in Keep Calm and Flutter On, Hasbro having the staff change Cadance into an alicorn at the last minute after Lauren Fasut left, not keeping the two episode format at the end of a season by Season 2, and the fact they have given Princess Luna an episode (and a half) but none to Princess Celestia.

Yet I would not say I have ever been pissed of by anything in the show... I get more angry at the drama fans create then anything else.

Edited by EquestrianScholar
  • Brohoof 2

Here's another one, but I didn't realize it until multiple viewings later.

A Canterlot Wedding part 1. The rest of the Mane Six abandoning Twilight at the end. On one hand I understand that it makes for great drama, and you really need to have Twilight totally isolated at that point for story purposes, and it did make for great story. But on the other hand it was done at the expense of the other five main characters.

It didn't bother me when I first saw it, but the more I watch it the more it bugs me.

I understood the part. Twilight didn't have proof and she couldn't get past that idea of jealously she put out in the beginning of the episode. She went about it the wrong way making a big scene by confronting the fake during the rehersal and acting very immature about it. Twilight let her emotions and jealousy show the worst of her.

Edited by Singe

Nothing in the show has really made me absolutely angry, however I do really hate it when the characters wink at the camera.

I knew the show already had it's fair share of cheesy moments, but that... THAT...

• Brohoof 1

It pissed me off in a Canterlot wedding when the first time when they were having the wedding, there was nopony else there, but when the wedding came around the second time, there was all the others ponies in the crowd. When I saw this.

It pissed me off in a Canterlot wedding when the first time when they were having the wedding, there was nopony else there, but when the wedding came around the second time, there was all the others ponies in the crowd. When I saw this.

Hm?  In both cases (The wedding to Chrysalis-Cadence and the actual wedding at the end) there were tons of ponies present. 

If you're thinking about the scene where everyone abandons Twilight, that's not the actual wedding, that's just the rehearsal.  No one outside of the wedding party is ever present in a rehearsal.