Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you been mistaken for the opposite gender on the forums/IRL?

hellocat

202 users have voted

1. 1. Have you been confused for the opposite gender here?

• Yup. Just once.
    • A couple of times
    • All the time XD
    • Nope, never
    • This is a weird question...
  2. 2. How about in IRL??

• Yup. Just once.
    • A couple of times
    • All the time XD
    • Nope, never
    • This is STILL a weird question...

I've been confused for the opposite gender on these forums before (nope not telling which I am! XD Take a guesssss :P) I guess I'm curious how many of you have also run into that same situation before.

EDIT: Also including IRL :P Cause well... It happens XD

Edited by kotakotakota
  • Brohoof 1

I thought this was IRL, I'm about a feminine as a metapor I cannot come up with (I'm pretty masculine in appearance). I don't know what people think I am online. It doesn't matter

No, considering I put that information in my profile page. I'm guessing you are a guy because your profile isn't as colorful as, say, Pink Mist's. It's kind of bland (no offense, It wasn't meant as an insult)

• Brohoof 1

One time that I recall. One of those times where someone knew me from the site, but never talked to me. Then at some point we end up interacting, I say something that would sort of hint off that I'm a guy, and they're like 'wait wat D:'.

• Brohoof 1

I believe once, but considering that I'm a guy, even that seems surprising. I bet it happens to female members just about every day. People (and I :blush:) seem to assume sometimes that everyone is male until they are embarrassingly corrected.

Sorry @Sugar Cube :(

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 4

I've been mistaken several times for the wrong gender on here. I have my gender set to "not telling" just because I find it amusing when someone mistakes me for the wrong gender xD.

• Brohoof 3

I act fairly feminine so initially I can come off as a girl on the internet. IRL it's apparently easy to mistake me for a girl from behind because I have a feminine body and long hair, and I've been called Miss more times than I care to admit until I start talking. Finally, I guess you're a guy? 

• Brohoof 1

In real life, I've never been mistaken as a male. But on the forums, it happens all the time. I'm a very tomyboyish girl, so it's normal for people to assume me as a boy.

• Brohoof 1

ALL. THE. TIME.

People that have known me for ages have been surprised to discover that I am not what they thought. Never in real life, I definitely look female (there was a point when I was a kid I was kinda androgynous but I grew into looking like a girl later on). I finally just put it on mine on my profile but I toy with it on and off. 

I tend to have very non-feminine tastes (some may argue my musical taste is a giveaway but I tend to listen to very gender-neutral "hipster" music, and I don't really think that it's something you can define somebody by). 

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 3

Eh possibly, i'm not terribly masculine, idk though, i don't think anyones actually stated the mistake.

I think most people assume male first on the internet, so being a male its had to be mistaken for a girl.

I could see the mistake being possible, as I use alot of emoticons, which you see alot of girls doing :P

I also occasionally use the heart <3 and idk being the internet its hard to tell unless you read my profile page :P.

So, not that i know of, but just because nobody's admitted it, so who knows.

So i guess to anyone who thought i was female, i'm actually male, now you know :P.

I wouldn't mind it though, its an easy mistake to make i guess.

IRL i can't say i've been mistaken before either, but girls do tend to make comments about guys in general, and then exclude me, which is cool, if that counts for anything :P.

Of course this is for the forums, which I can't say i've had anyone mention being confused about which gender i am.

So, i guess as far as I know the answer is no, :P.

• Brohoof 1

There was the summer of 2006 in real life where I was growing my hair out as long as I could. Around the time it got down to my stomach a guy decided to hit on me and ask for my number. After telling him I was a dude and having to digest that awkward situation I decided that day was a good idea to cut my hair. scaredfluttershyplz.png?2

As for the forums? There's been a couple but nothing more, it was only because I left my gender as "not telling" though. It's not hard to figure out I'm a dude though when you're in a chat room with me fluttershyishappyplz.jpg?2

Edited by Accellerant
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah, female OC, so yeah, I'm probably mistaken a fair bit despite having it marked on my profile page. Then again, not many people read that thing anyway, haha!

In real life though, my short hair and beard makes it fairly obvious that I'm male.

Not in person or on a forum but I did once on the phone years back. Someone was calling to sell something and I picked up and for whatever reason he confused me for a girl which I still to this day can't figure out how in the hell he could possibly do that.

On the forums here its happened a few times due to the fact I act like a girl and also refer to myself as one :P (also it says female on my profile XD) it's also happened a couple times IRL due to the fact that I almost ALWAYS have long hair XD

Haha, despite my tag-line on top of my signature, I've been lead to believe for being male due some to my older avatars, and my superhero signature. But oh well. I kind of do have a big impression as a male on here. Maybe It's just my sense of humor. 

I was taking requests and was called madamousel /).0 XD its kind of funny actually, that i was confused as being another gender lol

I believe it's spelled 'Mademoiselle' :yay: man, am I glad I look, sound and act like a man (or, at least, a teenaged boy) I'm not quite sure I could handle being mistaken for a girl

In real life? Nope, never... at least, I don't think so.

Online it happens every once in a while (at least that I know of; most people don't explicitly state my gender or use pronouns for me so I don't know for sure), but I never correct anyone ever. If you're wondering why, it's just personal reasons but nothing super serious. Honestly, I'm really curious about what gender people see me as based on my online personality (not that it's all that different from how I act IRL).

Edited by MuteMutt

Several times! Artemis is the name of a Greek goddess, so it's an understandable mistake. On the other hand, it's also been used as a male name in many works of fiction. Most people around here actually know that I'm a guy. I think the few who had it backwards are now in the know.

Never had that problem irl. I think the goatee obviates my gender more than anything.

On the internet. Nope. But in real life, it did happen once. It was a pretty harsh winter, and here in new york city it gets pretty cold. I was bundled up pretty well and some guy said "Excuse me, MAM!" at me and i was like "Excuse me!?" lol
The look on his face xD he needed directions

Multiple times a day actually. Back when I was working at a garden center, I had to wear my hair in a ponytail. It was even worse because I have an effeminate face. So a couple of times every hour someone would say "Excuse me miss/ma'am". I really need a haircut

It was one time on here, when I was using a freakin adorable pic of Pinkie Pie as an avatar. I can't help it! She's a cutie okay! Anyways someone on the "Guess gender of user above you" thread thought I was girl...

So I changed my avatar and yeah. IRL though I do tend to have longish hair, it easy to tell that I'm a guy.  :P

Edited by Sanderspie