Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you been mistaken for the opposite gender on the forums/IRL?

hellocat

202 users have voted

1. 1. Have you been confused for the opposite gender here?

• Yup. Just once.
    • A couple of times
    • All the time XD
    • Nope, never
    • This is a weird question...
  2. 2. How about in IRL??

• Yup. Just once.
    • A couple of times
    • All the time XD
    • Nope, never
    • This is STILL a weird question...

Doubt anyone would mistake my gender, it is most unlikely.

In real life I have a couple times, mostly back in elementary school when I had long hair.

lol I really should read more careful before I vote. I thought you meant mistaken someone else for the opposite gender.

Um irl, no never. On the forums, yeah, once there was someone who thought I was a girl :P

Forums, nope. Having a male name probably helps with that.  :P

IRL, two times come to mind. Once was with someone in charge of an apartment complex my sister used to live in, and the other time was a guy in a nursing home. I don't really blame them, though. From certain angles at the time, I DID look like a girl.  :blush:

Nowadays I'm more muscular, my voice is a lot deeper, and I've grown a bit of a facial hair, so I doubt anyone will make that mistake again. 

Nope, never. I don't act like a girl, nor do I look like a girl. I don't even know what a girl is really like beyond a stereotype I somehow created out of my sister and her friends.

I think my avatar deters any confusion here on the forums but IRL, I have been mistaken due to having long hair and a slender body, being viewed from behind. Once in a restaurant my hair was hanging over my face and the waitress referred to my friend and I as ladies. (my friend was in fact a woman) I think she felt bad because when she brought our drinks, they were VERY strong lol.

Well...

In real life, once.

It was during my scenie-weenie phase, so my hair was long and stick-straight and it was nighttime therefore really dark, and my face isn't exactly as, uh, "gruff" as other guys my age... anyway, they were kind of far off but yeah. The mistake was still made.

Edited by Tricksy Lewlamoon
  • Brohoof 1

My name is Mr. Critical. Unless I was one of those women who hide as men to hide from being hit on, you can only mistake me for the opposite sex is with a miss read. In real life a few times. My hair is long and feminine. And its only happened 5 times thus far.

Heh, I guess a few times :P Well, I'm not sure if on the forums anyone has, but IRL, definitely.

I remember once walking around at an amusement park and heard this one lady refer to me as "that curly-haired girl" XD (even I don't know the context, so don't ask) I turned around and she went "oh wait, I think it's a boy.." Then she apologized to me because she noticed that I had heard her XP

Another time I remember well was actually online. In Omegle to be exact. I was talking with some random person who had revealed he was a guy. I hadn't told my gender though. Well we talked for a while and I told him I like ponies and we talked about that for a while. He seemed okay with it. Then it got really, and I mean REALLY weird. Suddenly he asks me something like "Do you believe in angels?" To which I answer "Umm.. Yeah, I guess..?" And he's like "Because I think I'm talking with one right now" XD (do people seriously hit on people in Omegle???)

Anyway, I tell him that I'm a guy and he goes "But... But.. Ponies, dude!!?" When I confirm this, he's like "Sheesh.. Fine, whatever" and disconnects! :P Poor guy... I was, strangely enough, kinda flattered by that angel-comment though... :)

• Brohoof 1

Funny question is funny.

On forums, not once. Online, people just automatically assume you're a guy.

In real life, yes. Very regularly. It's gotten to the point where I just play along with people who think I'm female because I can no longer be bothered to correct them. It takes up too much of my energy. jgqXQ.png

If my deep voice and Adams Apple doesn't even give it away in conversation, then fuck it.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 2

Yup :lol:

I've been mistaken for the wrong gender a few times on the forums. I could get pretty er..boyish at times.

In real life, I was playing baseball with a pixie-cut and my hoodie up. Someone was bound to mistake me for a guy.

Yes.

Everybody on the internet thinks I'm a boy, but i'm a girl. Don't know why. Maybe they don't expect for girls to be on the internet?

IRL, everyone knows i'm a girl, so...yea?

I don't think I've spoken to enough people to have been mistaken for the opposite gender, or if any people read my posts and think stuff like that.

However, when I was a bit younger, I had long hair and was kinda androgynous looking (I guess.. Maybe it was the hair), and sometimes people in school would ask if I was a boy or a girl, so yeah.. That was annoying :P

On the forums, not at all, but glad to see others don't think I'm a girl because of how friendly I am.

But outside, sometimes, there has been a few incidents where my teachers confused me for a girl.

Least I got called pretty by my teachers. lol

On the forums yes, but that might be because I often change my gender on here. So it's no wonder some might be confused. One thing I could add on here just for fun, I actually read my own texts in female voice and even think in a female voice.

In real life, also yes. Once it was a little embarrassing, they were showing a video and in that video there was me and everyone thought it was a girl. I was going to say it was me but stopped after everyone were saying that it was obviously a girl. Well, I was very young in that video but still..

I don't remember exactly how it was, but it has happened a couple of times but I hardly remember the others. Think it might have been by a few teachers too, I don't really remember.

I guess it's not weird though, it stopped as I got older. My face has changed a lot and it's more obvious what my gender is now. I still like to switch between them, I don't see a reason being only one gender especially on the internet.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, OMG yes. I'm not a guy!!! GEEZ. I think it might be because of the fact that my name was "Sir Flutter Dash" or because I'm not  that ladylike. I just learned that some guys don't like that. I'm now FOREVER ALONE.

• Brohoof 1

I have never been mistaken for the opposite gender ever.

However, I have the unwanted distinction of making said mistake.

The first moment of contact I made with my crush was through an email. She needed a tutor to help her with chemistry. Her name was Jaimie, and the first thought that stuck to my mind was that she was a guy. I was thinking "Jamie Oliver". I accepted the tutoring job and I tried to meet up with her at a designated sitting area. I did so, and I opened my eyes in shock when I found out that Jaimie was a she.

Good thing I haven't told her I made this mistake :P Still, ever since I finished tutoring her, she gave me some candies and a cute thank you note to go with it! I didn't think on it for a really long time, and I seriously think that that, along with me approaching her for friendly and personal chatting every now and then, triggered her crush feelings on me.  :wub:  :wub:

Edited by Sterling Crimson

I don't recall ever being referred to by my gender before on this forum, so I'll just go with no mistaken gender-identity here.

I get called, "Sir" often when I'm out.  Not all the time but most of the time.  It used to bother me but nowadays the only one that bothers me is, "Sir-er,uh"*looks down at my chest*" ma'am."   >_>... 

• Brohoof 2

It's happened both online and IRL. Obviously, online a lot tend to assume that everybody is male, so it's no shock there. But it is kind of surprising when it happens IRL. Oh well, sometimes I like to confuse people anyway. =P

I'm not exactly sure if I have been mistaken for a female on here or not, but it might have happened because of how my pony self is, I mean just because I decided to have the smaller snout doesn't mean that I am automatically female. xD I tried to keep myself as male as possible while keeping that style, I like my pony self and all I gotta say is I am not going to change it. xD

And also my username can seem kind of... Girly or whatever. At least that is what lots of others tend to think, on previous sites I have gotten mistaken for a female because of my username. Even though my username originates from something that most females would like, doesn't mean that I am female.

By the way I have my gender listed in my profile, it clearly says "Male"

Me personally would always check someone's profile if I am not sure of their gender, I mean I know I have thought someone was the opposite gender of what they are, but I always double check profiles to confirm what gender they are, if it's not listed then I will try and avoid the gender pronouns.

----------

And onto the other subject of "In Real Life"... Nope, it doesn't happen, I clearly look like a male, and the facial hair that grows on my face super fast would not make anyone think that I am female. I don't really get this subject of "In real life" because when you meet someone in person it's easy to tell their gender, especially at the ages I am, I just don't get confused, unless they were like trans-gendered, then that's where the confusion would be.

• Brohoof 1

Probably on the forums, yeah. Most people have at one point, it seems like. In real life, I doubt I ever have gotten mistaken for a girl. Even when one of my girl friends made me wear sparkly purple nail polish and eyeliner in public, lol. Ahh, good times. :)

My friends always question my masculinity... 

Always...

Along with my teachers, my family, my cousins, etc. etc.

Mainly because of my personality and the fact I can get startled easily, THEN yelp like a lady~

As for my OC...I don't even wanna start. He lacks the facial structure(and body structure) of a typical stallion, causing for a lot of confusion. I mean, just add eyelashes to him and TA-DAAA! He's now a lady horse. :3

Edited by Reddie
  • Brohoof 1