Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you been mistaken for the opposite gender on the forums/IRL?

hellocat

202 users have voted

1. 1. Have you been confused for the opposite gender here?

• Yup. Just once.
    • A couple of times
    • All the time XD
    • Nope, never
    • This is a weird question...
  2. 2. How about in IRL??

• Yup. Just once.
    • A couple of times
    • All the time XD
    • Nope, never
    • This is STILL a weird question...

I've never been mistaken for a girl on the forums, or anywhere else on the internet. I guess my posts are raging with testosterone or something.

I have been mistaken for a girl irl a couple of times when I was seven or eight. I used to have my hair very long, so a lot of strangers at Walmart thought I was a cute, little girl.

Online: Nope, I've never posted anything feminine (....heheh except My Little Pony, but not on other sites) that would make others believe I am a girl.

In real life: Eeenope. My hair is generally short and I don't think I wear clothing or have any features that would make others think I am a girl. Maybe if I wore a Pinkie Pie costume with my face covered, I guess people might think I am a female if they aren't thinking of a brony.

A lot of people often mistake me for the oppisite gender on forums and in video games, but usually for the better. As in terms of real life no way. There's no way to deny what I am. XD If there was though... that'd be awesome... less pervs. ;~;

On the internet I'm not mistaken for a girl.  In real life, I'm the kid who gets asked 3 times a day if he's a boy or a girl :\  (There was even one time when a girl said ''If you're a girl, then dress like a girl and if you're a boy, you've got freakin' thin arms''.  Fortunately for her, I had no time to tell her off)  I have short hair, baggy clothes and I don't have feminine mannerism.  Though, being trans, I'm bound to look more feminine.

I happened a lot when I was littler because I have a twin sister and we looked a lot alike when we were younger, that and both of our names sound very similar. Now that we're both in our teens, people are surprised to find out we are twins because we are nothing alike anymore. 

I work in a call center, and I've been mistaken for a guy countless times when I speak over the phone. I have a deep voice, I admit, but I'm never mistaken for a man in public...

• 2 weeks later...

Most people are conditioned to assume the unknown gender person their talking to online is male until they find out for sure. Nonetheless, I've been mistaken for female online from time to time. So far it has only happened once to me here. I also mistook one person for the wrong gender which was understandable as she just recently announced she was transgendered.

I think a lot of the confusion stems from the frequent use of words like "Miss" and "Princess" in members' usernames. 

IRL, on the other hand, I have never been mistaken for the wrong gender. The last person I saw I couldn't tell if they were a guy or a gal was a bartender in Florida. He/she looked nice but with a rather androgynous appearance.

In person never mainly cuz of my damn sexy stubble.......yeah glossing over that comment. I'm not good on the phone and sound very quiet and apparently sound "feminine". one time at my old work for example

"Hello leading edge computers this is Josh speaking"

"oh hello Jill"

"......."

Edited by QuirkyUsername

I have a funny story about this. I've done Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu since I was 11 years old, and i've had long hair since I was about 8. 

I went to a jiu-jitsu tournament when I was around 15, and all was normal until my second match. Now...I had my hair pulled back in a pony tail, and I do have somewhat of a feminine build, especially back when I was 15, but the funny thing is that I was wearing a blazing red Gi and the front of the gi was hanging wide open, with clearly nothing underneath. For those who don't know, a Gi is basically a jacket and pair of pants that's used in pretty much every martial arts. There are some differences between types but most look pretty similar.

Despite my chest being pretty clearly exposed, with no undershirt, my opponents coach continuously screamed "Get her!" through th entire bout. I was highly amused.

Course...these days I consider myself Gender fluid, so the occasions when I am perceived as female are usually intentional.

Yes. The reason I feel for that though is because of my typing style. I prefer to write my messages as correct as possible. I also typically do not use any emoticons, or any kind of faces in my messages. From my experience, people seem to think a lot of girls type like this:

"Oohhhhhhh! Now I understand ^.^. I'll make sure I do that next time c:."

Where that simply isn't the case %100 of the time. Guys also type like that, and plenty of girls do not type like that. So yeah, I am mistaken for being male for how blunt I type my messages, and how I just express what I truly think rather than doing all those additional things I mentioned above. At least from what I can tell.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki
  • Brohoof 1

No I haven't, at least not to the extent of my knowledge, haha.

Guess it could happen though, I mean I thought some members were the opposite gender, only to realize I was dead wrong. xP

I have been confused for a girl a couple of times online. Mostly due to my name i believe since it is a more feminine one. What i don't get is how thats possible with the way i act. If i was indeed a girl, then id literally be the biggest bitch of all time.

Irl, not once.

Edited by Ditzy Haven Doo

Never on the forums, or even on the internet at all for that matter. Many people just assume we're all male.

In real life, however... many times. I'm a boy who used to have very long hair when I was young. But now that I'm 17, but not as long, but still quite long. And since people don't seem to see any female breasts on me, it's still a whole lot easier to tell.

On another forum, my name is DerpyMail, and my avatar is Derpy, and by the way I talk, everyone thought I was a girl. :P

For here I don't know.

And in real life... once I think. I had long hair, and a little boy thought I was a girl.

Once this kid at day care asked me if I was a girl or a boy and I was offended, I was even wearing a skirt. Though I'm wondering if she was trying to make fun of me now.

and one time somebody on YouTube thought I was a guy, even though my username was 'Pikachuninjagirl' and my profile was all pink and sparkly. :l

Edit: Oh! I have been thought of as male on a unisex troll account before and I've made character accounts where people were convinced the gender was male but that's about it.

Edited by Sapphire-Ashes

Not my gender... but someone always asks me "Do you work here?" every time I go to a store. 

I've gone through a few phases now, where I used to awkwardly say "n-no..", to "Why yes! How can I help you?" then give them wrong directions or something, to now where I politely say "NOPE!". 

I have never been mistaken for the opposite gender before. I have always been straightforward enough to where people know that I'm a guy online. If someone mistakes me for the opposite gender in real life, then they must be seriously blind because I don't look like a female in any way, shape, or form.

Oh goodness, yes! I use to keep my hair super short when I was a teen and I was called a boy on more than one occasion. I was also mistaken for my father on my phone by my own uncle! I know I have a rather "husky" womanly voice, but that one just took the cake!

A lot of people online seem to think I'm a male too, if they're just talking to me without any real knowledge of who I am. Not sure why either!

At the very least, no one has openly told me that they thought I was. I have been mistaken for being gay though because a lot of my mannerisms are often associated with the homosexual stereotype. I act how I wanna and how I act does not change my sexual preferences.

I'm straight as an arrow, and people know it, but even my mom questions it sometimes. I find it somewhat comical how often this happens and it doesn't even have anything to do with MLP. :lol:

I've never been mistaken for the opposite gender on the forums. As for real life, yes. Yes I have.

When I was eight years old, I loved Anakin Skywalker, and I really loved his rat tail in the Clone Wars. So, I decided to start growing one of my own. I got it to grow out to about four inches, then I started braiding it. After that, everyone asked my mom: "Oh, is that your little girl?" I didn't really care at first, but at a summer camp, I was almost put into the girl's group because of my hair. After that, I decided that it was time to cut off the tail.

• Brohoof 1

All the god damn time. .-. 

Of course. It probably doesn't help that my body is male... but still. I hate it when people refer to me as "he". It really annoys/saddens me.

Not on here, nope, but on games, I enjoy playing as the gender I like most and play that character, only on mmorpgs, and about 99% of the people I play with will think I'm a girl and I can guess from that, that I have some really good skills at being the opposite gender, the issue arises when they start asking for personal stuff, then I just quit the game for a while and then I might get back on the game again if it entertained me enough.  My advice on mmorpgs, don't talk to a guy anymore if they ask anything that's personal and shouldn't be told in a game, but people should know this, right?

I don't know if anyone has mistaken me for the opposite gender on the forums, but it has happened a few times in real life.  It used to annoy me, but now I just shrug it off if it happens.  My hair isn't that long, but it's longer than a lot of guys hair which may have something to do with it.