Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Donating?

Dirty Dan
Go to solution Solved by SCS,

I am having a hard time understanding this donating thing, sorry!

So let's say I donate 15$, that means I have 1 1/2 months of the donators benefits?

Or is the benefits like the siggy size and stuff permanent?

• Brohoof 1

It's a monthly subscription where you only have a month of subscriber privileges. That's if you decide to donate one time only.

If you are looking to take advantage of the perks you get for donating for one month, you can keep your avatar (150 x 200) and signature (at 600 x 200) at that for one month, changing it constantly if you want. Except once that membership expires, if you decide to change your avatar when you don't have these privileges, you'll be reverted into the ol' member dimensions of 150 x 150 , and 600 x 100.

Pro Tip: You can keep a subscriber portrait, if you do not change your pictures after your membership expires.  

• Brohoof 1

These two FAQ entries answer your question completely.

What's the difference between a donation and a subscription?

Donations and subscriptions are functionally identical at the moment and carry with them the same member perks; the only difference between the two being the means by which they are initiated and the duration for which they last.

Donations are initiated through the forum index, via the donation tracker. Every one dollar donated through the donation tracker will grant you donor perks for three days, after which you will be placed back into the standard users group. Donations are not recurring, and will expire automatically at the end of the donation period.

Subscriptions, on the other hand, are initiated through the MLP Forums store and recur automatically every month until cancelled. Subscriptions come in several price tiers ($10 - $50) that all carry the same perks, which can be upgraded, downgraded, or cancelled completely at any time. They are a means to make a donation on a recurring monthly basis, which is most helpful to us as the majority of our expenses are recurring in nature themselves.

What do I get for donating?

First and foremost, you get that warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that you're helping what may or may not be your favorite fan community to survive in this cold, dark, and capitalistic society in which we live in... but if warm fuzzy feelings don't quite do it for you, all active donors also receive the following perks:

• 150x200 avatars (50px longer than the normal 150x150 limit), and 150KB for uploaded avatars (as opposed to the normal 100KB)
  • 600x200 signature images (twice as large as the normal 600x100 limit)
  • space for 500 private messages (twice as much as the normal 250 limit)
  • the ability to change your member title
  • 3 name changes every 15 days
  • a golden username
Having stated what donations will get you, it may be worth while to also touch upon what they will not get you: preferential treatment. We value all of our members equally, and will not give donors special treatment when it comes to poor behavior; if you break our rules, you'll be given the same warnings and/or punishments that any other member of the forum would receive for the same infraction.

No matter how much we may appreciate your donations (and trust me - we do!), they are just that - donations; they do not imply joint ownership of the community, nor a customer/business relationship.

Legal Notes

Please take a moment to read our notes on the legalities involved in donating to MLP Forums.