Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is Lyra so popular?

Hangman

*Bursts in through a wall*. Because she's LYRA!

For me, it was the hundredth episode that clinched it. Writers basically tossed out all of what the fanfics have said and now she's, like, the most normal pony ever! ...and considering Ponyville, that's enough to count as a quirk!

Think that, next to Ditzy-Doo, she's that fans have come to see as their proxy & stand-in. She's calm... except when she's excited. Always lurking on the outskirts of a crowd like "Uh.. what's going on...? Can I join?" She doesn't have some sad backstory, special abilities or a strong personality to pick her out immediately... she's no protagonist, she's just there because she's willing to care about something she loves.

Lyra is just Lyra. We couldn't ask for more!

.... Bonbon though! WHEEEEEEEEW!!!  

2 minutes ago, Widdershins said:

*Bursts in through a wall*. Because she's LYRA!

For me, it was the hundredth episode that clinched it. Writers basically tossed out all of what the fanfics have said and now she's, like, the most normal pony ever! ...and considering Ponyville, that's enough to count as a quirk!

Think that, next to Ditzy-Doo, she's that fans have come to see as their proxy & stand-in. She's calm... except when she's excited. Always lurking on the outskirts of a crowd like "Uh.. what's going on...? Can I join?" She doesn't have some sad backstory, special abilities or a strong personality to pick her out immediately... she's no protagonist, she's just there because she's willing to care about something she loves.

Lyra is just Lyra. We couldn't ask for more!

.... Bonbon though! WHEEEEEEEEW!!!  

All further evidence supporting my theory she was originally a human and isn't quite sure what's going on with these Pony's she just know's she loves them.

• Brohoof 1

She's more than just a background character. Besides having a great color and look, she has a history with Bon Bon (and a perfect color combo between the two, I might add) that gives her even more dimension. That's more than a lot of popular background ponies have to their credit. So it doesn't take a lot to capture the imagination to embrace one pony or another. 

Probably because people back years ago got excited about the horse just like they did with Derpy.

• 3 years later...

I think it sparked the same way most of the other background characters did. People found her interesting and built on it. She was sitting like a human which people found interesting. A popular story was written about Lyra and humans which boosted her popularity even further, making her one of the main background characters. 

The reason why Lyra was so popular was for two reasons:

1. Lyra sitting like a human and her being fascinated by humans

2. Her relationship with Bon Bon

Despite Lyra didn't really do much in the background and she was only there just for a joke, but that's what made a lot of people really enthralled with that character.

And I really love Lyra. She's adorable,

I've never been totally into Lyra like some, but I do know that the reason for her popularity was the same as with just about any background character. It was fun to spot quirky things about the characters in the background and make stories out of them, create something new. 

• 4 weeks later...

Lyra's popularity is something that I would attribute more to the fandom than the actual show. People liked her and the popularity just kept spreading. Simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

Because she's a very cool, lovely, minty and unique pony who likes humans :>

On 2021-11-20 at 6:38 PM, Splashee said:

She has a nice color, and stands out. She is also killing people:

Hide contents

Classic :ButtercupLaugh:

Since the Llamas with hats reference  in  "Slice of Life" episode I knew something like this must exist somewhere. Now you have shown it to me xD Thank you

It definitely has to do with a quick scene from an early episode where she was sitting on a bench, and the fandom gave her an odd trait of her wanting to be human. Oddly enough, despite her popularity and consistent presence as a background character, she doesn't even have a speaking line at all until the second season finale. :wacko:

Otherwise, it might be because she's green, and none of the mane six are green. :arethosehands:

• 4 months later...
On 2022-01-04 at 2:26 AM, Skylight Scintillate said:

Probably because of the way she sits and people think she likes humans...

I agree, that probably sums it up.

What I like about her are scenes like these:

93430.gif

But her personality wasn't like this in Slice of Life, unfortunately. But we got Minuette!! Who is an absolute dream! :wub:

• Brohoof 1

Mostly because of the memes, really. I do not really consider that canon to her character. I imagine she is a lot different than people's conceptions of her. 

• Brohoof 1