Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Why did you choose your avatar/profile pic?

~Rule 63~ Lyeco

​I love Thane and I liked the colouring of this particular icon.  I found this on tumblr, I've been wondering if I should change it or not.  I don't know, I'll find a new one eventually.

It's one of my favorite avatars that I've ever used. I just painted a Santa hat on the original drawing, cause Christmas.

Edited by Lord Magnus

Hi! I'm new!

I chose this as my first avatar because while I'm working on creating my OC (and getting a shop up and running here!) I thought I'd post how I feel about relating to the mane6. When I first started watching I swore up and down that I was most like Rarity, but it turns out really the only thing I have in common with her is that I have an eye for detail, I'm an artist, and I love sparkly things. Otherwise, my friends were able to convince me that I am actually most like Twilight Sparkle. It makes me feel strange, thinking of myself as relating most to the "main character" and now a princess no less...*shrug* But yeah, so this is something I found on Google when searching for alternative pony takes, haha, it was a pony swap, and I thought it was perfect.

Soon, it'll be my OC and then I'll repost. :)

post-40205-0-97995400-1482553208_thumb.png

New response since I updated it. This is my OC ponysona: Color Song.

I am an artist who is working on a scientific way to help the blind experience color and the deaf to experience sound through a form of classical conditioning a la Pavlov and his bells, so the cutie mark is  heart shaped to symbolize the service to others, the heart is a palette because of the art (particularly painting), the palette is white to symbolize a blank canvas or sheet of paper, and each music note is imbued with one of the hues I use in my work. I tried to get a whole octave in there. It's a bit busy, admittedly, but I think it worked.

Her hair is supposed to look like paint splotches in her hair (and I think in the backstory other ponies in ponyville won't be sure if she actually has paint in her hair, or if it's just the coloration of it, and no one will ask). Not sure if it worked, but that was the goal and since there isn't a precedent to go off of in the show, I sort of had to wing it. She's at least partially a crystal pony (cuz I think they're fabulous) and I haven't decided if she's a full blooded crystal pony who left the Crystal Empire to come to Ponyville because she got distracted whenever the town would crystalize and she couldn't see what she was painting, or if she's a half-blood with a crystal parent and a standard pony parent....anyway....The apron presented a special challenge. I wanted it to be believable, but thought it would slide off when she moved unless she magicked it onto herself constantly, but since her energy would be better spent working on her creations, I secured it with a neck loop, sort of like a human's apron. Hair is held back by a headband because I nearly always wear one and the hair is kind of unkempt: no matter how hard I try, my hair is never perfect, and it's kind of crazy long because my hair is 36" long and if I could grow it out to my feet I probably would, lol. I based her eye colors on my own- blue, green, and gold.

Here's the full picture. I painted it on a 16 X 20 piece of canvas with acrylic.
post-40205-0-40926400-1483209500_thumb.jpg

A close up of the cutie mark:
post-40205-0-26375600-1483209883_thumb.jpg

Voila! now to get more OC's under my belt so I can see if I shall open a shop here. <3

Thanks, everypony for reading this! <3

Edited by Color Song
  • Brohoof 3

My immediate thought was that you'd give Tree Hugger a run for her money,
but it's actually quite nice, which is odd for an almost entirely white pony.
Neat design, cool to consider how the brushes would be stored too :)

• Brohoof 1

My immediate thought was that you'd give Tree Hugger a run for her money,

but it's actually quite nice, which is odd for an almost entirely white pony.

Neat design, cool to consider how the brushes would be stored too :)

Hahaha right!? It's SO busy, but it's also very much me. My work is pretty complex and I dress rather loudly too, so I guess it works, haha. For other's OCs I'd make them the way they wanted them: typically- more toned-down.

I really liked the idea of the brushes too, I'm glad you do as well. Thank you so much for your input! :D

Edited by Color Song
  • Brohoof 1

Hahaha right!? It's SO busy, but it's also very much me. My work is pretty complex and I dress rather loudly too, so I guess it works, haha. For other's OCs I'd make them the way they wanted them: typically- more toned-down.

I really liked the idea of the brushes too, I'm glad you do as well. Thank you so much for your input! :D

I guess one could call it 'busy' though I think that's a tad on the negative side :P

If that's your art style though, it seems to me that it'd be better to portray how you make the art than strictly adhering to the whims of those who might not know how  you work.

Still, admirable to put the effort into making something people will enjoy :D

Even consider drawing a slime? :3

Edited by The_Gobo

Apart from a few temporary changes, I've been using the same avatar since I started using social media in 2014. I'm tired of it, so I decided to make a more permanent change. One of my favorite shows right now is The Loud House and my favorite character would probably be Leni, so I changed it to her. I still love MLP and maybe I'll use a pony avatar again someday, but I wanted something else for a change.

• Brohoof 2

post-37231-0-81712200-1483288672.gif

I'm a WSD fan, I like all versions of it. I was getting sick of my current avatar on another forum so I drew this. I was getting sick of my avatar on this forum and was too lazy to make another one