Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP scarily similar to the LEGO BIONICLE.

John

As a young child, I used to collect the orriginal "Bionicles" by LEGO.  It was really fun to build them, make them fight, ect.  Anyway, the orriginal "toa" bionicles used to come with a small CD that you could run on your PC to learn about the lore.  Going over the entire first generation lore, I noticed some of the eerie similarities to MLP FIM.

Here is a basic video explaining the original lore, although there are many more details that have my mind blown.  (Post may be updated with more content)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu5KdOB1D3M

In case you didn't get what I'm saying:

Mata-Nui = Celestia

Makuta = Luna/Nightmare Moon

6 "Mighty Heroes" are the mane 6.

Masks of power = elements of harmony.

Makuta's Jealously that the islanders only loved Mata-Nui = Nightmare Moon's Jealously that equestrians only loved Celestia.

Makuta's spell causing darkness = Luna not lowering the moon.

There are also some similarities in the maps...

Imagine MLP if Luna had defeated Celestia and banished her instead.

It's not a carbon copy, but I think its strange to some extent that there are so many similarities.

PS:  Onua is best Toa.

Honestly, this is kinda stretching it. Darkness-causing villains, groups of six heroes, power-granting treasures, jealousy as a motive are all extremely common in fiction. An interesting observation, but almost certainly coincidental. It's like when people swear up and down that songs match with certain movies because things happen to line up.

Vibe kill.

Aren't you one of the guys who attempted to spam my profile?  -.-

Anyway, if only one or a few of the things mentioned above we're similar, than I would just shrug it off.  The only thing is that there is a group of similarities which makes it even more similar as a whole.

Edited by John
  • Brohoof 8

Well well well, it seems I have met another Bionicle fan  ;).

Those are quite the similarities you have stated. Honestly the only similarities I picked up between Bionicle and MLP is that there are six heroes, and that in Bionicle, "teamwork" is their version of friendship.

But let us hope MLP will not last only ten years like Bionicle did.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, this is kinda stretching it. Darkness-causing villains, groups of six heroes, power-granting treasures, jealousy as a motive are all extremely common in fiction. An interesting observation, but almost certainly coincidental. It's like when people swear up and down that songs match with certain movies because things happen to line up.

Kind of related...

Huh_zps34a978b1.png

• Brohoof 1

Kind of related...

img-1764613-1-Huh_zps34a978b1.png

I don't think he was ever trying to say that there was any influence on FiM, simply that there are alot of paralells. There's no need to try and drag down what he has to say. Edited by Leatherneck
  • Brohoof 1

Wow, thats just weird, as someone who grew up on the original Bionicle, but never managed to get the CD's, i never really knew any of the lore, nor was i interested due to the fact of me being young and simple-minded. Now that i look back, i managed to pick up on each parallel quickly, and its just so weird that two franchises that i've had interest in have had similar lores to one another.

Now am i saying that MLP FiM borrowed ideas from Bionicle? No, the franchises were made by two different companies that i have no ideas whether or not they have ties to one another, its possible that when making the first two episodes, Hasbro looked to Bionicle, but its Highly unlikely that this happened and its just mere coincidence.

All in all, its facinating how similar the lore of these two are, in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

No way, other people remember BIONICLE??

That's awesome! I used to love playing with them building them, taking them apart, building them...

Anyways, I definitely see what you're getting at here. The story and the characters do bear quite a few similarities... :huh:

Weird.  :okiedokielokie:

• 3 months later...