Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gummy's toothlessness: Young, naturally toothless, or 'deteethed'?

Never2muchpinkie

I suddenly got a little disturbed recently over Gummy. It seems really strange that he is a toothless alligator.  Why is he like that? Only 3 possibilities seem likely.

1. He's young. Party of one shows that Gummy is at least one year old. While I don't know much about alligators I'm pretty sure by a full year there should be at least a few teeth there.

2. His brand of alligators are just naturally without teeth. This seems awfully strange. Going by Twilight's freaked out reaction to him in 'feeling pinkie keen' alligators are still considered a dangerous carnivorous species in equestria. So a species naturally lacking the means to attack and eat their prey doesn't seem likely.

3. Similar to a cat being declawed, Gummy was 'deteethed' so that he'll never be able to grow teeth and be a threat as a pet.  This thought is what made me so creeped out as he's specifically introduced as a toothless alligator. After all, at least in the episode he's introduced in, he 'bit' pinkie all over, obviously having no effect because he only has gums. Also, looking at his name, it seems to indicate that Pinkie knows he'll never have teeth, or his name would stop making sense. Also, Gummy is quite 'blank' and reactionless, maybe from the trauma of the procedure.     At the same time, Pinkie doesn't seem the type to deliberately cause harm to another creature.

I may be looking too much into this, but I'd like some other people's opinions on the matter.

• Brohoof 5

I really do hope that Pinkie isn't deliberately ripping out any teeth that Gummy would grow. That's simply cruel and unusual no excuses. 

What I'm more concerned is What the hell has Pinkie been feeding Gummy? Baby or not, aplicarles are carnivores and Esquire significant protrin in furor diet. Feeding Gummy just sesera, fruits and veggies is not just unwise, Its torture sms clips kill the poor gator.

Well, maybe Pinkie was smart enough or had the fortune to have Fluttershy come by and bring some fish as she did got those otters. Or perhaps she could procure another source of protein for Gummy. O,o

Edited by Cwanky

I do find the whole deteething theory you got there to be just as creepy as it is somewhat fascinating. :P

I mean it does kind of make sense which adds to the creepiness lol. I'm pretty certain the show would not make any subtle implications of Pinkie Pie putting her poor pet alligator through all that.

But I like to believe that it is some kind of birth deflect as it make's so much more sense while at the same time being a reasonably fine theory. :P

• Brohoof 1

"Oh, Gummy. Your teeth are growing back again. Guess we'll have to take care of that!"

post-9686-0-84039400-1377157543_thumb.png

Err, I think I'll go with the birth defect theory. Alligators are born with teeth, so it's definitely not a matter of age. And they regrow teeth regularly, so I'm not sure just pulling them out would do it... might need some sort of surgical procedure to permanently de-tooth them.

I do wonder what he eats. I guess the lack of teeth isn't much of a problem since alligators don't really chew, and Pinkie can bring him food so he doesn't have to hunt. Fluttershy feeds fish to her otters (which is a little creepy to see her carry them in her mouth), so it's quite possible Pinkie does the same.

post-9686-0-17625200-1377159259_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Gators aren't typically bright green (Usually brown to olive spectrum).

My guess is that there's some nuclear dumping ground in Froggy Bottom Bog (A leftover from the arms race between Equestria and Sombra's Crystal Empire) and there are bright green gators with weird mutations (No teeth, etc) in the water.

Edited by Jammo

I do find the whole deteething theory you got there to be just as creepy as it is somewhat fascinating. :P

I mean it does kind of make sense which adds to the creepiness lol. I'm pretty certain the show would not make any subtle implications of Pinkie Pie putting her poor pet alligator through all that.

But I like to believe that it is some kind of birth deflect as it make's so much more sense while at the same time being a reasonably fine theory. :P

Well, I'm very glad you came up with a good theory that makes a lot of sense. That must be a crappy birth defect to never have teeth. It makes his toothlessness less creepy and more heartbreaking, though it doesn't seem that it bugs him all that much. Up until "just for sidekicks" his expression never shows anger.  While we can't know for sure, in my mind I'm going to go with your theory so I can put my fear to bed. Thanks a lot! :lol:

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps he was bred to not have teeth or maybe its a birth defect. Age wouldn't matter as baby crocs and gators have teeth from the moment they hatch. She's probably feeding him bugs. It would provide the protein he needs without hurting him.

In a fantasy world of magical ponies, certain laws and physics that we know do not exist here.

Certainly, Pinkie Pie isn't the type of pony that would just take Gummy and rip out his teeth. It's either a genetic disorder or they may not have grown in yet.

Heck, it could even be a species of toothless alligator.

• Brohoof 1

I suddenly got a little disturbed recently over Gummy. It seems really strange that he is a toothless alligator.  Why is he like that? Only 3 possibilities seem likely.

1. He's young. Party of one shows that Gummy is at least one year old. While I don't know much about alligators I'm pretty sure by a full year there should be at least a few teeth there.

2. His brand of alligators are just naturally without teeth. This seems awfully strange. Going by Twilight's freaked out reaction to him in 'feeling pinkie keen' alligators are still considered a dangerous carnivorous species in equestria. So a species naturally lacking the means to attack and eat their prey doesn't seem likely.

3. Similar to a cat being declawed, Gummy was 'deteethed' so that he'll never be able to grow teeth and be a threat as a pet.  This thought is what made me so creeped out as he's specifically introduced as a toothless alligator. After all, at least in the episode he's introduced in, he 'bit' pinkie all over, obviously having no effect because he only has gums. Also, looking at his name, it seems to indicate that Pinkie knows he'll never have teeth, or his name would stop making sense. Also, Gummy is quite 'blank' and reactionless, maybe from the trauma of the procedure.     At the same time, Pinkie doesn't seem the type to deliberately cause harm to another creature.

I may be looking too much into this, but I'd like some other people's opinions on the matter.

I'd say number three is the most likely. They didn't talk about it because the little kids might be scared of having their teeth ripped out of their skull :P.

Alligators are born with teeth and can actually regrow them over 50 times in their live (that's 50 times for each tooth).  Gummy is probably some magically altered hybrid that has no teeth (for obvious reasons), is a cute green color, and probably can't grow to big.

Edited by Forlong

First of all let me say that I think they should have an episode about how the Mane 6 met their pets. (Aside from Rainbow Dash and Twilight).

Second of all, I think Gummy may have been an outcast amongst other normal alligators. And maybe that's why Pinkie adopted him. I really don't think Pinkie de-teethed him. That's super cruel. Maybe she adopted him because he wasn't able to fit in with the rest of the alligators and he was being picked on?

Alligators are born with teeth and can actually regrow them over 50 times in their live (that's 50 times for each tooth).  Gummy is probably some magically altered hybrid that has no teeth (for obvious reasons), is a cute green color, and probably can't grow to big.

Considering that Pinkie found something as unique as the Mirror Pool, this is quite conceivable. But the fact that Gummy is still inclined to bite Pinkie, among other people and things suggest that he still is a natural born carnivore. Pinkie's biggest problem is that she lacks maturity and thus also responsibility. I really hope that she goes to Fluttershy for advice on how to take care of a baby gator.

Edited by Cwanky

I think it's probably just that Gummy is a species of alligator with no teeth. Seems like a logical explanation. I mean it's not like Pinkie would rip out his teeth or anything. Right....... right?

I somehow remember Pinkie Pie remembering that he was detoothed at one point through no fault of her own. Apparently Gummy wanted to chew on Pinkie's hair when he missed her hair completely and chomped on a large rock instead. The force was so hard that it broke his teeth. 

Edited by Sterling Crimson

I somehow remember Pinkie Pie remembering that he was detoothed at one point through no fault of her own. Apparently Gummy wanted to chew on Pinkie's hair when he missed her hair completely and chomped on a large rock instead. The force was so hard that it broke his teeth. 

That sounds painful and interesting. Do you remember where you read that? Although, as another poster wrote, alligators cam regrow their teeth so it doesn't seem likely that it would cause a permanent problem.

I really HOPE it's just his breed. That de-teething theory sounds brutal and inhumane. I don't think it's because he's a baby, baby alligators have teeth and he doesn't seem to be getting any bigger. In his character design description, its mentioned that he has a forked tounge that he can "flick" out and bright green scales, traits that alligators and crocs dont actually have. His snout is more crocodile like than alligator like. So maybe he's a domesticated/hybrid species of gator or not actually a gator at all. Maybe he's just a big lizard that Pinkie mistook for a toothless alligator :)

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 1

That sounds painful and interesting. Do you remember where you read that? Although, as another poster wrote, alligators cam regrow their teeth so it doesn't seem likely that it would cause a permanent problem.

I actually watched a segment of an MLP episode of that happening. I just can't remember which episode that happened though. They made it pretty comical. I remember watching it in the first season though.

I wouldn't really find the whole deteething cruel, people get their teeth pulled all the time. We have medicine to numb the gums and stuff like that. But personally I prefer the birth defect theory, it makes more sense that Pinkie Pie would adopt an alligator that could not fend for itself.Then again its Pinkie Pie and since when has she made sense. She probably feeds him by chopping up the meat into a nice mush, kinda like mashed taters. Of course if you wanted to this could work its way into the whole Cupcakes thing.

I'm guessing he was just born toothless and wouldn't be able to survive in the wild, so Pinkie took him in.  

Or, she could just be feeding him so much sweets that all his teeth fell out, and will continue to fall out.

• Brohoof 2

I think he was de-toothed. Maybe she found him as a stray and couldn't find a place to put him so she took him in and had his teeth removed. Hopefully.

What I find disturbing is how vicious he is. Anyone notice how he's always chewing on ponies? I mean, if he weren't just Gummy, Rainbow wouldn't have a face right now... 

20121215055917!Rainbow_Dash_gets_her_sur

Also, I never realized how cute this is until posting this image XD

Edited by Meirno
  • Brohoof 1