Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What I don't understand about Roleplays

MichaelxXxTrixie

I generally get you're realistic show-based Roleplays people partake in on these forums but there's these ones that make no sense to me.

In particular the Grimdark ones and the ones that you take a completely other franchise but just puke ponies all over it.

Grimdark - I can kind-of see why these show up, but I don't get how someone would commit there time to just Roleplaying out some violent RP/creepy RP and completely ditch the message of the show.

Other franchises - I like the artwork/parodies some people do of franchises with Ponies, but if you just swap out the normal protagonists and put ponies in there place it looks rather dumb and plays out rather dumb. Why not just RP the normal universe not pony affected.

I don't hate our Forum Rpers... I play Pen and Paper games like every weekend with my friends and family. I am even considering putting together a pony one if I can find people. It's just some of these Roleplays on the forum ditch the shows nice-spirit or put it in places that make it and the franchise it's in laughable.

• Brohoof 4

I despise grimdark personally; can't stand how it's rampant throughout the fandom. That said, I once thought in the way you do, because I was ignorant of the fact that grimdark in of itself doesn't need to be pointless and gory. Grimdark for the sake of grimdark, *i.e Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory even, etc.*, the big scary, stupid yet popular themes in the fandom, are retarded beyond reason. This is true. However, lots of other grimdark-focused works, just like many of the roleplays here, only use grimdark as a theme to their overarching storylines, not as the entire story itself. Which, I find to be far more tolerable than BS trollfics that are just ponies hacking at each other.

• Brohoof 9

I despise grimdark personally; can't stand how it's rampant throughout the fandom. That said, I once thought in the way you do, because I was ignorant of the fact that grimdark in of itself doesn't need to be pointless and gory. Grimdark for the sake of grimdark, *i.e Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory even, etc.*, the big scary, stupid yet popular themes in the fandom, are retarded beyond reason. This is true. However, lots of other grimdark-focused works, just like many of the roleplays here, only use grimdark as a theme to their overarching storylines, not as the entire story itself. Which, I find to be far more tolerable than BS trollfics that are just ponies hacking at each other.

I can understand this, I don't necessarily enjoy it even as a theme. The primary thing though is in the OCs and such, lots in many RPs are laughably off-cannon and gothic.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not really fond of grimdark either. It's ironic how dark, scary, stories that have a very stupid plot connected to the stories become popular since the dark style of fan fictions began. It would be better to be innovative with a new style of fan fiction, but having OCs that tie into the dark and gothic style is pretty ridiculous. Especially, when they are laughable in canon stories.

• Brohoof 3

Because of an old saying, 'to each their own'. Some people just like being actiony and edgy and riding forth with the horses (lol ponies) of war etc. In short, because they want to. It's that simple. 

• Brohoof 1

I agree with both @~Chaotic Discord~ and @Scootalove, in which I despise Grimdark and another thing I despise, is Clop. This is something I tell my friends irl and have long discussions on, I just cannot see how and why people would take something so innocent and something that is meant to teach children good morals, and make it into something so damned disgusting...

So I agree with how I don't get how a lot of Roleplays and everything else has grimdark and the such... it just disgusts me, but I am not going to try and stop others from doing it, just because I am disgusted by it. That would be pointless..

• Brohoof 2

I have browsed threw a few of the RP forms here and I have a hard time following them.   I am an oldish school DnD player (3rd edition) and maybe its the format that i have a hard time following.     Maybe its not being able to see what other players reactions (faces) are when something happens just pulls me out of it. 

With a good grp of people together at a table and some prep time, a pony style RP would be pretty intresting to me. But like I said for me it one of those things where face to face is always better.

• Brohoof 2

I generally get you're realistic show-based Roleplays people partake in on these forums but there's these ones that make no sense to me.

In particular the Grimdark ones and the ones that you take a completely other franchise but just puke ponies all over it.

Grimdark - I can kind-of see why these show up, but I don't get how someone would commit there time to just Roleplaying out some violent RP/creepy RP and completely ditch the message of the show.

Other franchises - I like the artwork/parodies some people do of franchises with Ponies, but if you just swap out the normal protagonists and put ponies in there place it looks rather dumb and plays out rather dumb. Why not just RP the normal universe not pony affected.

I don't hate our Forum Rpers... I play Pen and Paper games like every weekend with my friends and family. I am even considering putting together a pony one if I can find people. It's just some of these Roleplays on the forum ditch the shows nice-spirit or put it in places that make it and the franchise it's in laughable.

I completely agree with everything that you've stated here. I've personally never been a fan of Roleplays that are Grimdark or have ponies in situations that they wouldn't realistically be in. However, there are just as many people out there that do like that sort of thing, and putting the ponies in a situation that they are not normally in without changing everything else around them is an interesting concept. As long as the rest of that universe isn't ponified I don't see an issue with those roleplays because they make you think. They give that, "What would a pony do in this situation," feel, and that's why these types of Roleplays are allowed the Normal Section of the Roleplay World.

Now for something that's strictly based off of the show, you'd want to look at our Equestrian Empire Roleplay World. That section is completely canon based where all characters have to go an approval process, that will be having a second approval process added soon to it because it never hurts to have a double check system to make sure that we didn't miss anything. Everything you'll Find in the Equestrian Empire is something that you would find in Equestria itself, and I, and the rest of the Equestrian Empire staff are going to do the very best we can to make sure that it stays that way.

• Brohoof 2

I can understand this, I don't necessarily enjoy it even as a theme. The primary thing though is in the OCs and such, lots in many RPs are laughably off-cannon and gothic.

I don't like it as a theme either, but it's at least tolerable and ignorable as a 'well-dressed to dinner' story, roleplay or other entity that truly cares about the storyline and, as such, has grounded reasonings on why they have their gore, death and sadness scenes. Those, you can easily say 'hey man, if it floats your boat, go for it.' However, sadly, the more popular grimdark is always the sloppy, disgusting excuses for fan works like Cupcakes, Rainbow Factory, any number of other fanfics and fanon concepts, which all simply try way too hard to tug on your heartstrings by slaughtering your favorite characters with no rational plot :P I can't stand those, and I have no issue in being openly negative towards them.

And yeah, cliche OC creating will be cliche OC creating :P Nothing new there.

• Brohoof 1

I find that the grimdark RPs just traumatize me. Other franchises like Fallout Equestria to be just ridiculous. But the ones where you partake an adventure of daring doos, mafia, and war, it gets pretty creative and fun.

Brace yourselves, RPers are coming.

I actually enjoy grimdark or horror related things, as long as it's done well. 

I suppose the main reason they do it is because they like the ponies better than the normal protagonists?

I don't know, I always roleplay as my favorite character in that respective Franchise.