Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever met someone online and became close to them?

Jackie

Yeah I met my closest friend in the world on another forum in like a day of my joining she asked me where I found my Luna avatar, we started talking CONSTANTLY and we've  been inseparable since,,,,,well in spirit. She lives a state away but hey least it ain't a continent :P

As much as I'd like to have a lot of close online friends, I don't. I mean I do have a lot of online friends but they never last forever. It's like the first week or two we're best friends forever and then after a few weeks or months, we never talk to each other anymore. It hurts my feelings to know that what they say aren't what they actually feel inside. :(

Well... I've made quite a number of friends on Twitterponies, a few from my local brony group, and a few over here in the forums... And yeah, I do have pretty close relations with some of them...  ;)

And nope, I haven't met any in real life before.  :derp:

Of course. Can't live this long and live on the internet and not have online relations, now can you? Heh. A lot of the people who I considered friends along the way and had some depth of relationship with or at least great, life-changing admiration for were folks online.

My online socializing started with Neopets, the two most influential being a girl by the moniker TC and Meowthgal. From there on, there were others - others that I picked up from all over the place. It was by "meeting" these people, PMing with them, role playing with them, and creating with them that laid the foundation for my interests and allowed me to really experience the depth and breadth of what relationships could be.

In loose contact still with some of those folks today, others... well, hiccups happen and hearts change [and then there are some I'm just too embarrassed to try reaching out to again].

There's a lot of folks I've met up with from the online world, too. The experiences have ranged from acceptable to flat out awesome. A person behind a screen is still a person, and just as valuable a face as the faces that physically sit next to you. If you forge a noteworthy friendship with someone, online or in person, it's a shame not to nurture it.

• 4 weeks later...

I met a wonderful dragoness on a certain webpage last year. We had so meny things in common, she wasnt a brony though, but it matters little in my opinion. She were so wonderful, trying to help me when i had trubble, telling people off if they were rude to me in any way, and even started liking ponies, just for me.

She were my first love, and a great one at that! i really loved her, and she loved me.

she had difficulties, and so had i, and she accepted every baggage i had with me... we had a wonderful online relationship..

Weeks after weeks went, and... im not sure why, but sometimes, we end up in a fight, and i feel its my fault, i accept that, but fight after fight made me worried and scared of bonding, i shaked and.. i ended the relationship with her.. the worst decision i ever made in my entire life. I knew i was new to relationships, i knew y fear would fade away with time... she was utterly crushed, and we didnt speak for a weak..

Eventually, she spoke with me, and i were overjoyed, i said sorry and all, but thinks never got the same..

I wish i didnt have social anxieties, so i could have met her while we were a coupple... right now, we are just friends, and.. im not entirely sure if that is gonna change ever..

But, as of now, we finally met, and shes staying at me for awhile till she finds a place to stay.

Oh yes, many times, tho I've only met a few of them irl, excluding some people I met at BUCKcon and an O2 meet. I once even made a trip to Canada to live with someone there. It was a bad mistake but I don't regret making that decision as it helped me to learn a lot about myself. As of now, I don't have anyone I'm especially close to other than my long-time friend when I was living in Saudi.

Well of course...

My best friends come from online because you get to know people better via online means...

These people are basically family to me :3 and I met them all online ^-^

@,

Lugi reminds me so much of someone in my past who was closer to me then even my own mother...Its easy to say I think of him as my brother and my own blood <3

@@Artemis,

Arty reminds me of myself sometimes xD  And he's like an Uncle,Mentor to me :3

@,

Another guy who I view as a VERY close friend to me :3
He's a sweet guy, always kind and generous, and he can be funny (When he wants to be <_<) and he's family to me :3 I feel proud just to know this guy, even if he can be a dork sometimes tongue.png  Luv u bro <3

@,

And another guy who is family to me :3 Another brother from another mother :3

Smart guy, with great expectations happy.png

@@Feld0

While I dont talk to this guy as much as Nlaq xP I still think of him as a good friend to me. Not just professionally, but casually as well, just a great guy to discuss things with (We even had a debate on Languages xD)

@@Harmonic Revelations

Harmy....seriously...you're my sister, come gimme a hug naow :3
*huggles* You're so sweet,kind,generous...and funny :3
I feel happier just knowing you ^-^

@@nlaq

Nelson, another good buddy of mine :3
Always willing to hear me out and help others with problems. A smart guy and overall a very good friend to me ^-^ <3

@@Jokuc
Another great friend of mine ^-^
Only been talking to him for a while, but he's a winner tongue.png  <3  Feel good just to know him :3

There are more, but I'll finish this off later :3

I have many more closer friends (Practically ALL the staff :3 and some other people of course, im not bias xD)
but I dont wanna make any list that goes too long xD

Edited by Dawn♥Rider
  • Brohoof 4

Yes, all of my friends are online and those who I'm closest to are online. Of course meeting someone in real life that I know from the Internet isn't really going to happen anytime soon. But I have met someone online that I didn't really become close friends with but I could meet him in real life but I haven't gone looking for him.. Even though he is at the same school as I am. Still, living so far away from anyone prevents me from meeting anyone.

Technically I met one of my better friends over the years online. It's very much a "technically", though. It was back in the days of Xanga, if anybody even remembers what that is. xD Xanga was social networking back in the day... Social networking I actually liked, because instead of making stupid pointless updates, people would actually make real blog updates where they actually talked about their lives... But okay, enough of that!

So, anyway, I networked with some people I knew from band in high school. This was back in 10th grade, where we were actually split up into two different "Intermediate" high schools. So from Xanga, I began to see and communicate with band kids that went to the other high school, and the 11th and 12th grade high school. This friend I met on Xanga was a member of band from the other intermediate high school. We met for real at try outs for the all-encompassing marching band.

She's now one of my closest friends in that she probably knows more about me than anybody else (I really do try to keep things uniform between my best friends, but sometimes things are best left unsaid, such as how much of an anti-theist I am to my strictly Christian friends). Sadly we don't get to see each other much anymore, she lives in a different portion of the state now, and has for years. However, we keep each other informed via LiveJournal, Facebook, text messaging, etc.

I've actually met many awesome friends online. I bumped into a couple of people in chats, and sometime later met them IRL, and we came a very good group of friends. Since then I've been eager to go to meet ups and meet people...

But some people might not think that that's becoming good friends via online...

But I do have awesome friends I've only met online ;)

3 Of my coolest friends I meet on Xbox Live and we have been talking to each other for about 4 years now! I meet blake when MW2 first came out and then he introduced me to his friend Texan, Those two are cool when we hang together and we have been through so much together as well.

Then you have Abe and Jeremy who I also meet on Xbox but when Black ops came out.  Me and jeremy live close and so we hang out daily but my other friend lives cross country so he just talk on Xbox.

I think everyone can say they have a cool friend they meet online :3

Eh... No. I wish I could say I have some friends online, but my shy personality stops this. I used to be alright at it, back in my runescape days, but as I've gotten older, I've lost my confidence slightly. I'm friendly enough, so don't think I'm some sort of anti-social loner haha, I have a lot of IRL friends. I really want to make some new friends online, be it here on the forums or somewhere else, I've already started talking to a couple of people, but I still worry about what to say... :/

Edited by Raritas

Generally, this happens to me a lot on forums. I really have no idea why I have such an effect on people, but it's almost exclusively online, not locally or outside of the internet. It may just be where I live, I mean, most of the people in my city are mean, though I've found some really cool people that I hang out with despite this area's shortcomings. I know for a fact that I met a 15-year-old girl in Florida on MapleStory a year or so ago, and she's gotten so attached to me that she considers me her internet older brother. I have no problem with this, and she has my number to text me whenever she's not feeling right. I stand up for her, I help her with her homework, it's...kind of cool, I guess.

There's also another girl I met on a Golden Sun forum 3 years ago, only a year older than me, and she clings to me like we're best friends. And to be honest, we definitely are, despite never meeting in real life. She's on the West coast, I'm on the East, but she helps me vent my anger and frustration with life by giving me someone to talk to, and I'm thankful for that. I DO plan on meeting her eventually, most definitely, and she's considering flying over here to visit one day. I look forward to it.

• Brohoof 2

There have been a few people from a different social site that I still keep up with(I've known them for 6-7 years now) I might not talk to them as much as I did before but they're great people to talk to.  There are also a few people on here too of course.  I've never gotten to the point where I was ready to buy a plane ticket to meet them though(well maybe one or two of them.)

I met my one of my closest friends to this day on Facebook, and we go to the same high school these days. She always brings me out of a bad mood, she supports me, and will always brighten up my darkest day.

I met a girl, Sydney, in Wisconsin over a fansite about Animal Crossing, we've known each other for over 3 years. we started talking and stuff outside of City Folk and such and now we text often. about two years in we fell for eachother... but we both agreed it wouldn't have worked because of the distance. or at least I told myself I agreed.. I think I still like her. idk..

Ironically also in Wisconsin I met a girl on facebook through my 'hobbit' group. and how she joined that group was by prank calling my Godfather and making friends with him. it was a real line up of 1 in 1000 odds that led to us meeting xD she said she had a crush on me at one point but she moved on rather quickly. we send eachother letters and stuff smile.png She's suicidal though so I have my hands full trying to keep her happy. 

Sydney's my closest friend aside from maybe one person irl. I trust people on the internet too much sometimes..

I have a friend in Britain who i'm now family friends with. I've had lots of life advice sessions with her mother, talked to her dad before, and been friends with her too. XD

Also I knew this guy in Canada, the only person I knew in my time zone on the internet, who I was broskiis with for a long time. but he vanished and I haven't seen him since.. I miss Jared. he loves Frapps. 

Edit: also reading some other posts on here I forgot to mention I plan on meeting Sydney eventually. we have it all planned out and everything. it involves Disneyland and cake and stuff. mostly lined with inside jokes of stuff we'd said we'd do together, but.. XD

Edited by SoundRaptured

Yup, , and @Fac3Desk, are two examples, ok so we did meet each on that bullshit site (Bronies Australia) but regardless of that small fact, the three of us have come very close/best friends and are almost like brothers!

Edited by Swift Quill

Yeah. I really only call people 'close' if we've talked every day for months. There was one person. If you're reading this, you know who you are.

Anyway, we don't talk much anymore. Ehhhhh... She was like a sister. An awesomely random, funny sister that just acted like herself. Awesome friend, she was.