Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Have you ever met someone online and became close to them?

Jackie

I have, and now I'm paying the price. It is quite easy to lose internet access with life problems to harass you around. Not saying I won't or I don't enjoy talking to people online, I just don't "get close" anymore. Not much of a problem though as I don't get messages much :/

So final answer, yes.

Although I add a lot of people on steam, I also delete plenty of them because they aren't anything but names in my friendslist.

Though now, I've got plenty of people on Skype and Steam that I regularly talk to, they're awesome and I'm happy I can be friends with them since I lack plenty of social skills and it's pretty hard for me to talk to people, both through messages and voice chat.

Its funny, i started out as a gamer and turned into a gaming admin for a clan and thats how I met my fiance, hes german and im american. Currently im at his place as i post because we're waiting to take our flights back home to my country to get married. Point being online relationships do occur so its not bizzare to me, some work out and some dont, i was blessed to find that it not only worked out but he and I are soulmates.

Even when we went to the US embassy in Frankfurt Germany, the counsoler asked us how we met, which we both openly and proudly admitted "through an online PC game called Aliens vs. Predator 2" and after that we texted through java chats, then yahoo messenger then it progressed to skype chats and mic conversations, the counsolor says thats how people tend to meet these days, through online chatrooms or video games. The relationship grew so strong between us that my fiance risked flying down here to America first to meet me physically. He had never been to america before, this was a huge and pricey risk for him to take. But as we met face to face...it was love at first sight. And after that for 2yrs we went back and forth seeing each other. On his last visit he realized he made a huge mistake in leaving, because he wanted to propose to me but didnt have the right mindset till he got home. He proposed and thats that.

Relationships can happen online thats for sure, but its always wise to becareful.

Edited by Lightning Bliss
  • Brohoof 1

I met Monica (or Shove as she nicknamed herself) a few years ago on a website. It was one of those crummy virtual world websites. We became extremely close. We exchanged emails and we talk on an app. I hope I get to meet her in real life one day.

• Brohoof 1

It happens from time to time. I get close with a lot of people and I appreciate having them as friends the most. I have yet to get too close with anyone on here though. There's maybe one person already. Other than him, I guess I'm progressing towards getting another one, currently. We'll see how this one goes. ;)

• Brohoof 1

This fandom has brought me closer to anyone online than I ever had been. I've gotten so many good friends, many of them I consider the best I ever had, and the show and fandom overall have taught me about the most important things about friendship and has enhanced my life to an unimaginable degree.

The first great friend I had on here is @@Apple Bloom. We've been talking with each other since around when I joined the fandom in spring 2012. I posted something in a 3DS-related thread, then he later sent me a PM about the topic. We eventually ended up chatting on Skype about Nintendo and video games in general, and that led to us realizing we had many things in common. I soon learned about how the fandom had changed himself; he has been a member of the fandom for about a year longer than me, and has shown much dedication to it. He has quite the amount of pony-related merch, and I feel confident in saying that he is probably one of the most dedicated bronies out there. Ponies fuel his life the way it fuels mine, it's a life-changing experience. Having heard how he enjoyed BronyCon in 2012, and seeing him at BronyCon 2013, I've come to know him as a very vibrant pony fanatic. We also got connected when I took an interest in the old forums' Synchtube page, where I visited often enough to become a staff on what is now called Equestria.TV. Seeing how much effort and soul he put into the project, it makes me happy to help him with it, and I've been very happy to be a part of it.

He's helped me so much on my way, too. We've been through so much, we talked so commonly, and I was very happy to see you promoted as an administrator. I could not be more glad I saw you in person, and am very thankful for how much good friends we've become. I'm so happy for the adventures we've been through, and can't wait for those to come.

@@Artemis is also high up on the friendship scale; in addition to being one of the coolest people I ever met. We started talking to eachother more often as the year of 2012 was waning. As he visited the ETV movie nights more often, we started chatting occasionally to the point where we learned we lived rather close to each other, in the same state even, which made me more happy. As we began to converse on Skype on occasion, I began to really like the guy. He was one of the people I was most ecstatic to see in person at BronyCon this year, and I'm very glad we're now able to partake in activities and outings.

Artemis, AB and I also share many interests, including the latest incarnation of the Littlest Pet Shop television series, among others. It's been really great to have you guys at my side all this time, I could not imagine my life without you two; I hope some time in the future we'll be able to see each other more often.

One of my oldest friends in the fandom is @@~Chaotic Discord~. We've been through a lot as well, and you've introduced so much to me in the world of ponydom (most specially advanced roleplaying), and we both shared our (in my case, then-)favorite pony, Rainbow Dash. I always found his ego and personality just too awesome not to like, and we communicated on Skype quite a lot. It's been amazing having you as one of my friends. It was great to see you at BronyCon this year, I sincerely hope we can see each other in 2014. And we need to talk more on Skype. ;-;

Albeit his recent leave from the forums, @ has been easily one of the best friends I've had ever since I was introduced to the show. We didn't really communicate that much before I became a staff, but through our many interactions, which mostly consisting of satirical joking humor with me as the receiving end and jokingly tormenting Marco himself, which only peaked at this year's BronyCon (the staff dinner is still one of my most memorable moments), I really enjoyed knowing him over the past several months. I'm really proud of how far he's come, and I wish him luck on his journeys currently and in the future. (In addition, I've been lately kinda tempted to get into the Ace Attorney franchise. wink.png) It's been a hell of a time having you as a friend, and I'm glad it'll stay that way 'till the end. Can't wait to see you next year at BC.

Another one of my great friends is @@Chigens and Kay. Over the past several months I got to know her more and more, and have come to really think she's a really awesome person. She's gotten me really, really interested in the concept of snake ponies. Though, like Marco, most of our chats involve satirical tormenting at my expense, I really enjoyed being her friend over the past several months, and it was great seeing her at BronyCon. Hope she can get there next year.

As a more recent example, @@Harmonic Revelations, my girlfriend. Over time she's become one of the most admirable people I knew, and I really wanted to get to know you more ever since the day we met. Our first meeting was kind of rough, but we made up not too long after, and I learned a lot about her. A lot later after that, we conversed every so often, more and more until I personally told me how I truly felt about her. And, well, it went on from there. She's become quite possible the sweetest person I've ever known, and I could not be more happy to be in a relationship with her. We have so much in common, and I await the day we finally meet each other in person. It was a shame I wasn't able to see her at BronyCon, but it'll be worth the wait to see her next year. She's very intelligent and witty, and always has something fun and interesting to say. <3

And of course, the founder of this wonderful community, @@Feld0. We never talked much prior to my promotion to staff, but even before I was intrigued by you and your fabulous website. While I wasn't aware of what was to come, I really wanted to get to know him in general. We occasionally talked about Nintendo then and there, and to this day we've talked a lot about it. Overall, you're a really great guy, and I couldn't be more glad to have gotten to know you. I'm thankful for this experience as a member of Poniverse, and I'm glad to work in part with you on it. It was great to see you at BronyCon, a hell of an experience that would have been less memorable had it not been for you and this community. As I said to you on my leave at the end of the convention, I'll be sure as hell to see you next year.

This...this fandom and the show have given a lot to me. My standpoint is that the show's goal is to teach the world about friendship, uniting humans around the world, forming unbreakable friendships, relationships and bonds, people coming together to celebrate a television show about very compelling characters and a quest to forever change the standards of gender and age demographic. I feel as if it was a miracle, a miracle born by Lauren Faust, molded by the people behind our childhood cartoons, and packed in with morals and spawned a massive amount of creative minds; this show, having an extreme amount of affect on the world than it has now, can change the world itself. I am possibly thinking too deeply, but I love to think this way. It has overall become one of the greatest things to happen to me in my life, and has enhanced it indefinitely. I like to think of it as a story with endless happiness on the other end. May everyone touched by the gloriousness of the show learn the importance of friendships and relationships, and may that affect their lives positively for many, many years to come.

I love everyone I listed above. No, I love every single one of my friends. I love all of you reading this right now. My life has been ever positively boosted thanks to all of you. God bless you, Lauren Faust, for this glorious miracle that has affected me in ways I could have never predicted. smile.png

• Brohoof 8

Yeh, there was a girl a became really close too, after my friend pretended to be me to get nudes of her (at this point I had never talked to her) I was like "wait, dude wtf?" so I talked to her and told her it was him and we started talking and we became really close and yeah, she was one of by best friends, then we just stopped talking :/ I wish I could have that again...

I had a long distance relationship a while back.  Worked for about a year or so, distance was a killer.  She went to college and we moved on.

Other than that, I haven't met very many of my online friends.  I'd love to meet some of the cooler kids from this place though.  My Metal Thread regulars, Artemis, Swoop, Zoop, Finest, Luminescence (our dear former Tech Chicken), and several others come to mind. 

• Brohoof 1

I have met some amazing people online, people i was friends with for over 2 years, but it was in online games and when one of them stops playing the connection kinda broke sadly ;(

I wish i could go to brony meetups but sadly im not someone who likes to travel alot and there doesnt seem to be alot of Bronies in Stavanger Norway ( atleast that i know of) and i would probably have to either travel to Oslo or Bergen for a meetup.

I have met some people face to face that ive met online, it was a meetup for the guild i was in a while back and it was kinda awesome.

When i become self deppendant and earn money i will strongly consider going to bronycon, it would be so awesome.

Edited by SveciaDash

I wouldn't say I've become that close to anyone I've ever met online. Yes I've made some friends but I really haven't became that close to anyone. I would like to become close friends with some people. Maybe I should use my Skype more?

Edited by Super Derpy

I've made some pretty good friends online but I only have a few that I'm kind of close to. I had a close friend a few years ago but we don't talk much anymore.

I have another friend who I've become kind of close to. Over a year ago, I would have laughed at the thought of us being friends but I'm definitely glad we became good friends. He's pretty cool (in a nerdy kind of way...lol) and he tolerates how annoying I am. 

• Brohoof 1

This is definitely going to be a long one, so bear with me.

The first friend that I really became close with here on the forums was . She joined around the same time I did and well, after seeing her around for a while I decided to talk to an get to know her. Well, it turned out we had quite a bit in common and we became friends. She also drew the first ever art of my OC, which is something I'm very grateful for. She is really funny and witty and a real pleasure to talk to.

Someone I met relatively early on was @Artemis. He's fun to talk to, and has helped me out more times than I can count. He is one of the most helpful people I know, and somebody who I find very dependable. Artemis is reliable, he is the first one I go to when I have a problem because in my experience he is somebody who is really willing to lend a hand to those in need.

More recently, Dawn Rider has become somebody that I talk to, more and more frequently. He's a really nice guy, and every conversation I've had with him has left me feeling happy or inspired in one way or another. He always knows how to cheer me up when I'm down.

Another great friend of mine is  . We first met because he wanted to talk about our Diabetes, honestly, I felt very happy having somebody to talk to who has been through similar experiences. He has a great sense of humor and is really fun to talk to. I've had many great laughs talking to him, and he is a great friend.

Just going to give a shout out to  , he knows why he's on this list.

My boyfriend,  is one of the nicest people I've ever spoken with. While we did not get off to a great start, once we made up, we started conversing more and more frequently on Skype, and we found that we have a lot in common. We would talk more and more frequently and would always help each other out. He is one of the sweetest and most kind people I've ever talked to and I am honored to be his girlfriend.  I love him very, very much. I appreciate all of the support he has given me over the time we've known each other.

Of course, there are more people than just the ones listed above, after all, I love you all, but the ones above particularly stand out to me. I do appreciate and enjoy talking to all of you, even if the feeling isn't always mutual. So I'd like to thank you all for being amazing people.

• Brohoof 4

Yup, I met a girl recently who I learned lived in a nearby town. (I found her because I thought she looked nice and I loved her poetry)

After  a while we got chatting and recently and got along amazingly well. We met in person recently enough, was great :D

So many people to thank...

@Harmonic Revelations She knows alot of my pain being a diabetic and how suddenly I can be as calm as a passing breeze to enraged like a category four hurricane..all within a matter of seconds. She also has inspired me to use these sugar lows as a source of comedy which have given birth to some of my finest work. I'm not one to cry easily but when Harmonic wrote her good bye I felt my world come to a halt and it was like loosing a member of my family. I'm thankful she stayed to share more great moments with us.

@Leatherbehlt My best friend in the entire forum. At we've been through so much together be it tears from laughing or ones from feels. He's also picked me up when i've fallen face first and then got me to keep going when I didn't want too.

@MadDoggyca The first member of the forums I ever met and had a blast with him at FanEXPO/BronyCAN. The guy is a saint putting up with my family and their shenanigans and sometimes my moments of sheer stupidity (Never ask me for directions.)

@Motion Spark We have alot of talented artists...all very good and I am not saying one is better than the other because that wouldn't be fair. MotionSpark deserves this mention because he selfishly slaved away on many of my requests sometimes staying up later then he should..he's also many times broken his own comfort zone to make me art. To put it bluntly he's a pony everypony should know.

@Artemis The expression 'Don't judge a book by his cover' applies to Artemis. Although intimidating Artemis can be a great friend when you need somebody to talk to or just to cleariy something you don't understand. Many times I have needed help and he's been there for me.

Edited by WildBlue
  • Brohoof 3

• 5 years later...

Yes, I have, and they're very hit or miss.

My current best friend is someone I met here on the forums. Don't want to post her name, I don't feel like spotlighting her, but... yeah. She's helped me out a lot, and she's really supportive and caring. Wouldn't ask to change her at all.

But there was also another. A person who I would've said the same thing about just a few months ago. A person who I thought was a true friend for years. This person is vile, spiteful, and manipulative, and this person is also someone I met online.

So... yeah, uh... just, be careful out there.

met a dude on a random garry's mod deathrun server back in 2013 and we've been gaming buddies ever since

it's actually kind of weird to think how young we were back when we met and how old we are now