Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming 2DS Thoughts?

Vertigo_95

The 3DS' 3D is entirely optional in the first place. On top of the slider which can turn the 3D up and down there's a child lock on the system that prevents it from being turned on at all at the will of the parents.

...Then what's the point of all of this in the first place? Besides giving the illusion of some breakthrough that's choc-full of initiative.

And yeah, excuse me for my lack of knowlege about the 3DS. I've never owned one, so I don't know much about how it works. :P

...Then what's the point of all of this in the first place? Besides giving the illusion of some breakthrough that's choc-full of initiative.

And yeah, excuse me for my lack of knowlege about the 3DS. I've never owned one, so I don't know much about how it works. :P

Exactly how it sounds. It's friendlier towards kids who might break it and their eyes won't strain since there's no 3D and parents are gonna see that on top of the fact that it's selling with the new Pokemon games (an instant eye-catcher) and it's gonna make them quite a bit of money purely based on that. The manufacturing costs are lower because of the lack of hinges and the 3D software too.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly how it sounds. It's friendlier towards kids who might break it and their eyes won't strain since there's no 3D and parents are gonna see that on top of the fact that it's selling with the new Pokemon games (an instant eye-catcher) and it's gonna make them quite a bit of money purely based on that. The manufacturing costs are lower because of the lack of hinges and the 3D software too.

Hmm.

You might be on to something there, my friend. In regards to the lower manufacturing cost, that actually is a pretty good reason for it. I didn't think to view this in an economic perspective at first.

On one hand, it probably has one of the ugliest designs imaginable and the fact that it doesn't fold won't help.On the other hand, dat price point

The thing is, for £30 more (ore less) you can get a 3dsxl.

While I think this is a good Idea, I'm not sure I'm digging the lack of fold along with you guys :).

But yeah, it's not really that much cheaper? and it's size doesn't do anything good for it. Also, games like Monster Hunter 3 wont really be playable because you need to have the extra stick which you wont be able to get (well not in the same form) for a while.

All in all, looks like a nice idea but Ill reserve judgement for when I have had a proper look at it :)

• Brohoof 1

The thing is, for £30 more (ore less) you can get a 3dsxl.

While I think this is a good Idea, I'm not sure I'm digging the lack of fold along with you guys :).

But yeah, it's not really that much cheaper? and it's size doesn't do anything good for it. Also, games like Monster Hunter 3 wont really be playable because you need to have the extra stick which you wont be able to get (well not in the same form) for a while.

All in all, looks like a nice idea but Ill reserve judgement for when I have had a proper look at it :)

Monster Hunter is both a niche game and unfriendly to newbies. Anyone who has the know-how for MH won't have much interest in the 2DS and those who would get the 2DS likely won't even know the MH franchise exists, let alone that it needs a second stick.

It is good for who it is aimed at. Kids with semi-frugal parents who don't like the 3D aspect. Since it is being released when the new Pokemon games do(as stated in earlier posts), they are going to probably make a profit. Say hello to a good holiday season.

Monster Hunter is both a niche game and unfriendly to newbies. Anyone who has the know-how for MH won't have much interest in the 2DS and those who would get the 2DS likely won't even know the MH franchise exists, let alone that it needs a second stick.

I can give you that, I bought a 3ds for MH though (and have basically only played that on it).

I guess I'm forgetting it's aimed at a younger audience as well, which is a nice idea. Both my younger brothers managed to break the flippy screens off the main body of the console so there are many plus points to it, I was coming at it to much from a "why would I buy it" and not thinking about who its aimed at :P!

Another thing I don't like about it, the name makes it sound like a cheap Chinese Knock-off.

But minor nitpicks aside, I'm actually considering getting one of these now

I can give you that, I bought a 3ds for MH though (and have basically only played that on it).

I guess I'm forgetting it's aimed at a younger audience as well, which is a nice idea. Both my younger brothers managed to break the flippy screens off the main body of the console so there are many plus points to it, I was coming at it to much from a "why would I buy it" and not thinking about who its aimed at :P!

I find it's easier to understand a company's decision when you think about who it's aiming at. Some decisions seem pretty stupid and pointless to a lot of people but they don't consider that the decision wasn't made with them in mind at all. Gaming companies aren't as ignorant to the populace as some might have you believe.

• Brohoof 1

It's not particularly any different from any other electronic device. There's ones made for the pros who know what to look for and the ones made for the uninitiated who wouldn't know what to look for in a good gaming system if they tried. Plus the fact that it's child-safe is gonna be a HUGE plus for Mario Moms (note: gaming equivalent to Soccer Moms)

That is true, and I think it was a good idea to market to them, but I think it would've been a better idea to just market the 3D lock feature instead of making a new console.

Also, does the shape of the 2DS look really uncomfortable to anyone else? If you're not using the shoulder buttons, the way it gets smaller towards the bottom looks like it would feel weird.

• Brohoof 1

That is true, and I think it was a good idea to market to them, but I think it would've been a better idea to just market the 3D lock feature instead of making a new console.

Also, does the shape of the 2DS look really uncomfortable to anyone else? If you're not using the shoulder buttons, the way it gets smaller towards the bottom looks like it would feel weird.

But think about someone with small hands and drops the console a bit, the design makes more sense!

The hinges are easily damaged from my experiences, and its an easier piece of kit to hold and use for someone say 6+ (I had a game boy around that age).

• Brohoof 1

I will probably end up getting a 2Ds.

I PERSONALLY, don't care about the appearance of the damn thing, so long as it is functional.

As for the 3D? Thats why I want to get a 2Ds, its cheaper because of the lack of 3D, I don't want to pay more for something that I would never use. The 3D hurts my head, (or at least it has whenever my friend told me to turn it on when playing on his) so its a wasted function to me.

The lack of hinges is both a good thing and a bad thing to me also.

No hinges makes it more prone to scratches, but hell, we had handhelds without hinges for years until the gameboy advance SP came out, and we never complained about it.

I want to play 3Ds games with my friends, but I cannot afford a 3Ds, so the 2Ds will be a much better choice for me.

When I saw this for the first time, it was on my Tumblr blog. A follower sent me a trailer for it, and I stood there thinking "What a waste of time and money."
The 3D on the 3DS may not be that good, and it may strain my eyes, but I just don't use it. I simply keep the 3D setting off and I'm fine.

I honestly don't see the need for this thing, but that's just me.

At first I was really hating the idea that Nintendo was doing this. I mean you can easily just turn down the 3D slider to have the same effect. Nevertheless this is an optional choice on the buyer's behalf to own this product. Plus it's coming out along side Pokemon X & Y. I'm thinking if they bundle each Pokemon game with a different color 2DS then it could seriously sell some units. I don't own a 3DS currently but the price point has me on the fence about picking this model up I love how it's priced cheaper than the other two models and for people who want to save money and don't particularly care for 3D it's a good choice.

Edited by Pegasus Device

The 3DS' 3D feature is not necesary in most video games for the console, in fact it's a terrible combination if you have to use the gyroscope. However, I just hate that you can't close it like the usual DS's. It's like so weird, but I think that the very low price tag can make it for this weird design.

One word that made this for me

CHEAP!

Money is a big deal and cutting the price and removing just a few features! Sign me up! I think Nintendo timed this perfectly like someone said about the upcoming announcement of the new iOS devices. I will admit there are some design flaws but even so this looks like a great handheld.

• Brohoof 1

Well being able to play regular DS games is a plus, i like that, and i guess if its cheapers its nice for those who don't wanna bother with 3D at all.

However beyond that i really don't see much i like in it.

First of all the 3D can be disabled if i'm correct on normal 3DS's of course if they are less pricy i think it'll help sales.

Otherwise it seems kinda a waste, the new design is kinda eh, and the fact it doesn't fold makes the whole portable thing very... pointless almost.

I like to be able to put my DS in my pocket, because i do that alot.

Maybe it'll sell ok, idk, if i were nintendo i'd be a little worried about sales currently.

• Brohoof 1

I already have an original 3ds. I don't play it all that often, but there are plenty of great games for it.

That being said, I think this is a pretty good idea. It's cheap enough to buy a game before the price of the 3ds. My brother is considering buying one so that we can play Monster Hunter 4 when that comes out, but only if a Circle Pad Pro comes out for it.

Honestly, I would rather have purchased this for cheaper than an original 3ds. The lack of portability isn't a huge problem because I carry a backpack around campus.

I have a feeling that this will turn out like the Gameboy Micro and that mini-Wii thing; quickly forgotten, then sold on eBay for high prices.

Seriously though, I don't get it. The 3DS' 3D feature can be locked so it can't be used at all, has a smaller, more compact design, lots of colors (Purple!), and has the same sized screen as the 2DS.

I do like the design of the 2DS, and the price drop is pretty good. If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would probably get this version.

I agree! at first I, among others, did not think this was a good idea. Weird look from the front, big and clunky but as I think about it more it makes more sense, the design looks really child-like, something I love, it's cheap and can do everything a 3DS can do. My only gripe here is the 3D cameras on the thing. Why not make it have one camera and drop the price even further. Anyways I already have a 3DS but if I didn't without doubt I'd go for the 2DS

• Brohoof 1

This isn't a bad idea. It's cheaper than the 3DS, and it works just like one(aside from no 3D). I never use the 3D on my 3DS XL, so I would have actually probably bought myself a 2DS instead. I just bought my 3DS a month ago or so, so it's a little late now but oh well. As stated by others, if I didn't already have a 3DS I would buy a 2DS instead.

Edited by BioticDemon

This is so incredibly stupid and pointless but hardly surprising, Nintendo is getting pressure from parents about the 3D effect which hurts some of the kids eyes (it even hurts some adults eyes mine being one pair of them) which is a little ridiculous considering that there is a switch to adjust the intensity or even turn it off completely. I always have it off completely both because of the eye strain and because if I want everything to look blurry and confusing then I will do it the old fashioned way with some binge drinking (ok not really but you might as well). And of course Nintendo has to be the worst offender when it comes to making a bazillion different versions of handheld systems, they are so bad that alot of people thought  that the 3DS was just another version of the DS at first and alot of people probably still think the same about the Wii U.

I don't see how Nintendo is stupid for doing this. People said they wouldn't buy 3DSs because they had 3D, so they made a 3DS without 3D.

Ok, yeah, they gave it horrible design and made it arguably less portable than an iPad, which seems odd for a handheld gaming platform, but kids under 7 aren't carrying around a lot in their pockets anyway (because they are tiny).

The lack of a hinge makes it horrible for older gamers (and would be a deal breaker for me if I didn't already have a 3DS), but I've had hinges break on my DS's, and I took pretty good care of those. A little kid would probably break the hinges in a month or two.

And for those saying that it feels like a step down from the 3DS... good. That's exactly what it supposed to be ;)

Also, I play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate effectively without a Circle Pad Pro. GET ON MY LEVEL.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 1

It's no big deal, really. The thing is literally designed for children and other youngsters. It's got no 3D, which is dangerous for people under the age of 6. It's got no hinges, so those won't break like they tend to do on the 3DS and 3DS XL models. The way they're designed, it looks like a solid and sturdy piece of equipment. I honestly think that that device can take a good blow and still function, which is exactly what the youngsters need. Plus, the price drop means parents will be more inclined to buy it for their kids. Nintendo's getting alot of unneccesary backlash for this, but personally, I applaud them.

It comes out on the same day as Pokemon X and Y. Do you know what that means? Money, from the parents that will cave in from their kids demands, and trust me the game stop employees know how it is. Just in case you don't know how it is

Gamestop Employee: How can I help yous sir

Parent: My kid wants the new Pokemon game and also the console to play it on

Employee: which Pokemon game? and which console? 

Parent: I don't know which version is better? and what are the options for console?

Employee: Both versions have exclusive areas and Pokemon. I would suggest the 2ds it just came in today  

Parent I'll take both just to be safe and what are the benefits of the 2ds

Employee: It doesn't have the 3d so it's safer for your kids eyes, not to mention it comes at a cheaper price point 

Parent: Sounds great I'll take it plus both versions.

I know this is going to happen at least once. Kids are so spoiled these days and parents are so ignorant.