Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming 2DS Thoughts?

Vertigo_95

which is dangerous for people under the age of 6. 

I think it is dangerous for everybody, which is why I am really surprised that Nintendo didn't emphasize more is that there are parental controls built into the 3DS where they can make it to where the 3D effect can only be turned on with a password. I suppose there may be some kids who could probably still get in though as there are plenty of clueless parents that choose ones that couldn't be more obvious but I can't say I can blame Nintendo for that. I guess I am a bit biased on this because I think making multiple versions of consoles in general is kind of stupid and pointless but to be fair it is less stupid and pointless than say the 3DS XL for example.

I will definitely be buying one of these.

I have Refractive Strabismic Amblyopia which essentially means that I have a lazy eye but that I also have a dominant eye to the point where my brain can only see out of one eye at once. Because of this, I am unable to see 3D and I have a bad sense of depth.

Buying a 3DS would be pointless as I'd have to switch the 3D effect off or else I would see a flickering image (3DS' 3D works by flicking between two images extremely quickly, AFAIK) and it would also be pointless.

Now, I can actually warrant buying one of these. THANK YOU NINTENDO FOR THINKING ABOUT ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS.

This looks like something that Nintendo was pretty okay with because of the cheap price. It would be a very bad shape if the children who are at a very young age might not be too careful with it. But, I still recommend buying it if you want it for a cheap price at least.

why do almost everybody think that the 2DS is designed for children? it could also be for people who doesn't give a crap about using the 3D feature, can use it at all or people who don't want to spend almost 200$ on it, despite the design, you're getting a 50$ cheaper full 3DS (without the 3D feature)

I have Refractive Strabismic Amblyopia which essentially means that I have a lazy eye but that I also have a dominant eye to the point where my brain can only see out of one eye at once. Because of this, I am unable to see 3D and I have a bad sense of depth.

I am so sorry, I wish you could see how awesome is to look at your 3DS screen and appreciate the 3D effect without glasses, some games aren't that good, but others are outstanding with the 3D feature. It's a shame. :(

• Brohoof 1

why do almost everybody think that the 2DS is designed for children? it could also be for people who doesn't give a crap about using the 3D feature, can use it at all or people who don't want to spend almost 200$ on it, despite the design, you're getting a 50$ cheaper full 3DS (without the 3D feature)

I am so sorry, I wish you could see how awesome is to look at your 3DS screen and appreciate the 3D effect without glasses, some games aren't that good, but others are outstanding with the 3D feature. It's a shame. :(

^ I can't even see the kind of 3D with glasses. XD I can't see any of the stereoscopic 3D effects used in games and cinema's and as far as I'm aware, I never will be able to.

I'm happy playing my games without stereoscopic effects though (: It is a shame but there's no point in complaining about something that can't be fixed. XD

AND HEY, AT LEAST NINTENDO ACTUALLY THOUGHT ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE ME! All these people are like:

OMG ITS A 3DS WITHOUT 3D SO POINTLESS

OMG WHY MAKE 3D GAMES FOR 2D CONSOLE GAWWWWDDDD

OMG JUST BUY A 3DS AND TURN THE 3D OFF OMG GUYS LOL LMFAO NONTENDI SUK

I'm just in a corner by myself like, "Why should I have to pay for 3D when I can't ever use the feature?" :/

• Brohoof 1

The more I think about the 2DS, the more I cannot help but marvel at how ridiculously good Nintendo is at knowing their target audiences, and how they probably have some of the most interesting ideas/designs for tech items out there today. Simply genius, these people are.

• Brohoof 1

^ I can't even see the kind of 3D with glasses. XD I can't see any of the stereoscopic 3D effects used in games and cinema's and as far as I'm aware, I never will be able to.

I'm happy playing my games without stereoscopic effects though (: It is a shame but there's no point in complaining about something that can't be fixed. XD

AND HEY, AT LEAST NINTENDO ACTUALLY THOUGHT ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE ME! All these people are like:

OMG ITS A 3DS WITHOUT 3D SO POINTLESS

OMG WHY MAKE 3D GAMES FOR 2D CONSOLE GAWWWWDDDD

OMG JUST BUY A 3DS AND TURN THE 3D OFF OMG GUYS LOL LMFAO NONTENDI SUK

I'm just in a corner by myself like, "Why should I have to pay for 3D when I can't ever use the feature?" :/

it's not like you're paying for the 3D, the 3DS' main feature is the 3D yes, but it's just a cosmetic feature, and game developers don't make games just to rely on the 3D, though there are games that kind of does, but those are crappy games from the e-shop lol.

The point here is, that having the 3D slider always gives you a choice of playing without 3D at all, and honestly you don't need it to play the games. ^_^

it's not like you're paying for the 3D, the 3DS' main feature is the 3D yes, but it's just a cosmetic feature, and game developers don't make games just to rely on the 3D, though there are games that kind of does, but those are crappy games from the e-shop lol.

The point here is, that having the 3D slider always gives you a choice of playing without 3D at all, and honestly you don't need it to play the games. ^_^

My point is that I'm still paying for that 3D feature though whether or not I use it. This 2DS will save me about £30-£40 on a feature that even if I wanted, I couldn't use which does suck for me xD I think even if I could see 3D, I'd still probably turn it off to save battery life. :3

To be quite frank, that essentially means I get a console that doesn't have a wasteful feature (FOR ME) and I save enough money to be able to buy a game with.

I don't know how many people have the same condition as me but if Nintendo looked in to it and there was a substantial amount, they should really advertise towards us.

Also, I like the fact that there is no hinge. One less thing to break :'D

3DS' 3D works by flicking between two images extremely quickly, AFAIK

No, it uses something called a 'Parallax barrier' which allows both images to be displayed simultaneously, just in such a way that each one is directed at only one eye.  More detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_barrier

I really don't have many thoughts on this.  I have an original 3DS and I love it.  No one's forcing me to buy a 2DS, and it's just an extra option for anyone considering getting a 3DS (of sorts).

I don't understand why a lot of people seem to be taking really personal offense to this.  Especially perplexing is the complaint that it's a new update that strips away a feature; I realize that, on its own, is a bit off, but it's nothing new.  We've lost plenty of functionality with updates; the DSi doesn't play GBA games, the Game Boy micro doesn't play GB or GBC games; and I can think of other areas where this kind of marketing I would welcome with open arms.

Like with toys, even as a little kid, I hated electronic lights and sounds in toys, and there have been plenty of toys that I would have bought in a heart beat if they were released cheaper and without those features.

The difference for me being that I actually like 3D (well, on the 3DS anyway, not so much in the theater), but there are people who dislike it just as much as I dislike toy gimmicks and now they're being catered to in a way that I only wish I could be as a toy collector.

• Brohoof 1

Because Nintendo said it themselves

Personally I don't see why this should affect someone's opinion on the platform, and it looks more attractive with the lower price point

I don't see it that way, I could see more people buying it with the intention of getting a cheap 3DS. Kids these days are well informed and very skilled in how to use the internet, they know that's not a legit 3DS.

First, it's ugly as hell. Second, it's actually a clever move, considering the parents who won't buy their kids a 3DS because of the "eye damaging" images or whatever. Still, I don't get why they got rid of the fold design.

Sorry if anyone mentioned this before, didn't read the whole thing.

Well, 2DS, it's quite simple, it's meant for kids.

The sturdy design (as such high durability), low price, lack of features... It's uglier, simpler and more durable version of the console, which can be good for anyone, but I would really say it's meant very clearly for children, nothing more, nothing less.

I mean 3DS is broken quite easily, has 3D (which has bad effects on developing brain) and is quite expensive - yet at least half of the games it has are meant for children, so cheaper and durable version makes sense I'd say.

Edited by Jessper
  • Brohoof 1

Now my thought has developed for the 2DS

Yes I believe it was smart coming out with it as the same day as Pokemon. A little bit off topic but, what I had actually saw on other sites is that Nintendo did this in retaliation to the Sony's Vita price drop last week which I find to be a dumb thought. Why I believe they dropped the Vita price was because of the release of the PS4 this holiday. And sure the Wii mini and GameBoy micro wasn't that great without the backward compatibility, but the 2DS has almost every feature the 3DS has and it could turn out just as successful.

That thing is super ugly.  I don't really care for 3d (it really bothers my eyes most of the time, no matter how much I fiddle around with the slider on the 3ds) , so the lower price point of the 2ds does appeal to me, but the lack of hinges making it less portable kinda kills it for me. 

Well despite the downsides, you can play any 3ds or ds game and it's a great price. I might get it, but I might also just buy the original 3ds.(might even just skip it for more pc games) anyway, it should do well with the small children market and create some new gaming childhoods.

It looks like a toy... It really is the discount model of the 3DS.

I don't care about the 3D, and have barely ever used it, and might have actually preferred a model back in 2011 without 3D. But not this model. As I said, it's a toy. And it really loses that portability. I don't know how well it'd even fit in my purse. My purse is small, but still, if it wouldn't fit very well in there, how would it fit in a guy's pockets?

Oh well, I guess I don't even care. I'll never buy it. I'm not necessarily happy to see Nintendo going down the "lets rehash this handheld as many times as possible" road again, but as long as they know when to move on to the next generation, I probably won't care.

honestly, i find this a rather ridiculous idea. i mean, most of us BOUT the 3DS and the 3DS games FOR the 3D, am I correct? so why go to something that looks like an elongated gameboy advanced? honestly, I don't see the appeal of this.

honestly, i find this a rather ridiculous idea. i mean, most of us BOUT the 3DS and the 3DS games FOR the 3D, am I correct?

I don't think so... I got the 3DS to play games. 3D was not even remotely a factor into why I wanted a 3DS. I wouldn't doubt that many people thought the 3D was cool, but I'm pretty sure the games are the deciding factor for the majority, and 3D really doesn't add anything to games.

While I do agree it looks horrible, I think it's good that they made it backwards compatible... Although with only a number of games... Surely if they are going to make it backwards compatible, they would make it able to play them all? Makes no sense. Oh, and another thing... It's twice the size of most peoples hands, how are you supposed to hold it?

Random note: Nintendo disabled comments and ratings of the introduction video, that should be an indication of something.

In my opinion, it looks horrible. Sure, it can play your 3DS and DS games fine, that is cool, but...The design looks incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. Plus, it doesn't fold. I repeat: Doesn't. Fold. This is the first ever DS model that has done that and I do not like that idea at all.

I can completely see why Nintendo is doing this. Cheaper price, warding off the fear of 3D eye destruction, and a new model in time for Pokémon, but the way they are doing it is very subpar.

Well, I honestly could care less about 3D or not, but I hate the design, and the lack of clamshell. I like that's much cheaper, and I'd be able to play all those 3DS games I've been wanting to play, but the design is just so bad. 

When I first seen an article about this.....I thought it was a hoax of some sort...thought it was pretty funny. Then I realised, nope it's real...and then I literally facepalmed.

it's only $40 cheaper than the regular 3DS....still seems a bit much for not being able to fold and being huge for what it is....I think a $100 price point would've been better.

It looks like some Playskool toy I'd give to a kid. I wouldn't wanna be caught dead in a public place with it....

The major problem I have with it, is that you can't just close it or something. I would be scared of cracking the screen somehow. But, altogether...it isn't bad. I know people don't usually like 3D, but you can just turn the 3D off on the regular 3DS, so...

But, still, I'm sure some people will enjoy it.

• Brohoof 1