Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming 2DS Thoughts?

Vertigo_95

I find it hilarious that a system being made exclusively for young children, built like a brick and omitting glasses-free 3D, is such a hard thing to grasp for so many people.

The complaints and criticisms being thrown at the 2DS aren't warranted. Not a single one. If you're old enough to know how to use a normal 3DS, this thing isn't for you. It's not rocket science.

• Brohoof 2

I thought this was a joke when I heard about it.  Seriously, 2ds?  That's a stupid name, even more when you realize that DS means dual screen.  So, you got 2 dual screens now?  At least, with the 3ds, it was also a pun with 3D.  Also, I get that this is for kids but, they should at least made it able to close.  They could put bigger hinges or something.  Well, I'm not butthurt about it, I just think that's a really weird decision, not that kids shouldn't have a version of the console but I can't see it being that durable with the screens unprotected like that.

Also, I put 3D on all the time, it seems I'm in the minority.

I thought this was a joke when I heard about it.  Seriously, 2ds?  That's a stupid name, even more when you realize that DS means dual screen.  So, you got 2 dual screens now?  At least, with the 3ds, it was also a pun with 3D.  Also, I get that this is for kids but, they should at least made it able to close.  They could put bigger hinges or something.  Well, I'm not butthurt about it, I just think that's a really weird decision, not that kids shouldn't have a version of the console but I can't see it being that durable with the screens unprotected like that.

Also, I put 3D on all the time, it seems I'm in the minority.

Using this logic, 3DS is also a terrible name. You get three dual screens now? No, that's not the intention of the name. Also, 2DS is also a pun unless you failed to realise this... It's a pun about it being 2D...

What is with everyone's focus on the need for it to fucking close? A PSP DOESN'T CLOSE. MY PHONE DOESN'T CLOSE. OH OKAY THAT MEANS THEY'RE BAD BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A HINGE OMG LULZ THEY DON'T CLOSE SO BAD.

No, they got rid of the hinge because they realised how easily it breaks after extended periods of use and when it is dropped.

• Brohoof 1

Using this logic, 3DS is also a terrible name. You get three dual screens now? No, that's not the intention of the name. Also, 2DS is also a pun unless you failed to realise this... It's a pun about it being 2D...

What is with everyone's focus on the need for it to fucking close? A PSP DOESN'T CLOSE. MY PHONE DOESN'T CLOSE. OH OKAY THAT MEANS THEY'RE BAD BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A HINGE OMG LULZ THEY DON'T CLOSE SO BAD.

No, they got rid of the hinge because they realised how easily it breaks after extended periods of use and when it is dropped.

2ds still sounds like an horrible name, even if it's a pun on 2d, that's been stolen from the 3ds.  Slightly changing names like that is also confusing for casual people.  They're going to search for 2ds games now.  In fact, that was a problem with the 3ds at first too because people thought it was a DS with 3d features.

For the hinges, I consider them important because it's a portable console.  The 3ds barely fits in my pocket, that thing would have absolutely no chance to fit and would get damaged easily because the screens aren't protected.  I also don't own the things you mention for those reasons among others too.

2ds still sounds like an horrible name, even if it's a pun on 2d, that's been stolen from the 3ds.  Slightly changing names like that is also confusing for casual people.  They're going to search for 2ds games now.  In fact, that was a problem with the 3ds at first too because people thought it was a DS with 3d features.

For the hinges, I consider them important because it's a portable console.  The 3ds barely fits in my pocket, that thing would have absolutely no chance to fit and would get damaged easily because the screens aren't protected.  I also don't own the things you mention for those reasons among others too.

Searching for 2DS Games is just going to autocorrect on every single search engine to 3DS games. If you also buy a 2DS and don't realise that it plays 3DS games then you don't deserve to have the console to start with.

The 2DS is being offered with a carry case for a small charge to protect against scratches and to make it more travel friendly but like you said, it won't fit in your pocket. BUT THEN WHY WOULD YOU WANT IT TOO? There is never a moment where you think, "oh my god, I need my 3DS in my pocket for emergencies." Just put it inside a rucksack, backpack, messenger bag or whatever. If you're taking it outside, then you're going to probably need a bag for other things so just shove it in there.

Also, the 3DS and DSi where probably more prone to scratches with the hinge cause if you've got any dust or sand or any particles on your console and then you shut the hinge, those little things are gonna rub against the console.

And if changing a name slightly is confusing to you, please exit this earth right now in a painful manner.

I feel like it's more of them trying to earn more money since the WiiU sales haven't been too hot.

The handheld itself just looks plain awkward and uncomfortable. Until I can get my hands on one myself, I think it's sort of an iffy idea.

But hey, it's cheap and for the young children demographic. So it'll probably work just fine.

I mean, it doesn't fold. Or have 3D. They pretty much downgraded the system.

That being said, I heard it was aimed for a younger group of people, which makes sense. (The case being for better protection aginst drops, and the 3D removed due to it being bad to eyesight of younger people.)

i think the dual screen design since the GBA SP is kind of stupid for a portable console. won't that, like, increase the chances of the thing breaking apart when you're outside somewhere? durability in a portable electronic device should be one of the first things to consider, really.

i admit, the name made me literally lol when i first heard of it. but approx. 100 dollars cheaper than the actual 3DS? hell, i might just now have the funds to buy and play the damn 3DS games now! i thought it was gonna be a clunky POS, but the introduction video makes it seem like it fits comfortably into the hands, though whether they're heavy or not i don't know.

Searching for 2DS Games is just going to autocorrect on every single search engine to 3DS games. If you also buy a 2DS and don't realise that it plays 3DS games then you don't deserve to have the console to start with.

I'm not talking about me. I've been a gamer for at least 12 years, I know my things. I'm talking about the parents who are going to buy this thing for the kids.  Of course, you never had a parent who can't for the life of them know the difference between two consoles.

The 2DS is being offered with a carry case for a small charge to protect against scratches and to make it more travel friendly but like you said, it won't fit in your pocket. BUT THEN WHY WOULD YOU WANT IT TOO? There is never a moment where you think, "oh my god, I need my 3DS in my pocket for emergencies." Just put it inside a rucksack, backpack, messenger bag or whatever. If you're taking it outside, then you're going to probably need a bag for other things so just shove it in there.

I like streetpass.  Hence, I need to have my 3ds with me if I want to get something.  I don't have a backpack or anything like that because it's not practical.  I put everything in my pocket, including my 3ds.  I don't go around with tons of things.

And if changing a name slightly is confusing to you, please exit this earth right now in a painful manner. 

Again, talking about the parents and yes, I met people who couldn't make the difference.  And was that last bit about suicide really necessary?  It's kid's console, chill.  I never meant to be offensive in my first post anyway so I don't why you're freaking out me.

Okay.

1. The thing is way too huge

2. It looks like a fisher price toy

3. the name is horrible, but at least it's better than "Wii"

4. The marketing slogan doesn't work. "Play any games in 2D", Wat?

5. They could at least still keep the flipping screen and put more resistant materials. My DS broke after 2 years. My old gameboy Advance SP is still working and the battery can last for a whole week. Also, I can easily play in the sun, since the pixels are made of liquid crystals.

6. The console is still too expensive.

7. The console looks unconfortable, and I have big hands. Imagine for kids.

8. And it's made for kids, but what about the cartridges? They are so little they will loose them easily.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not talking about me. I've been a gamer for at least 12 years, I know my things. I'm talking about the parents who are going to buy this thing for the kids.  Of course, you never had a parent who can't for the life of them know the difference between two consoles.

I like streetpass.  Hence, I need to have my 3ds with me if I want to get something.  I don't have a backpack or anything like that because it's not practical.  I put everything in my pocket, including my 3ds.  I don't go around with tons of things.

Again, talking about the parents and yes, I met people who couldn't make the difference.  And was that last bit about suicide really necessary?  It's kid's console, chill.  I never meant to be offensive in my first post anyway so I don't why you're freaking out me.

When I use the term 'you', I'm referring to people in general, not specifically you as a person. I meant people as a whole, collective group.

It is indeed a kid's console which is why this new design is absolutely perfect for the market. It's cheap, it doesn't have the eye-straining 3D effects that MAY cause damage to a child's eyes and it is still compatible with the entire library of games.

I apologise if it felt like I was targeting YOU specifically but I did mean just people/humans/parents etc. as a whole group when I said "you."

When I use the term 'you', I'm referring to people in general, not specifically you as a person. I meant people as a whole, collective group.

It is indeed a kid's console which is why this new design is absolutely perfect for the market. It's cheap, it doesn't have the eye-straining 3D effects that MAY cause damage to a child's eyes and it is still compatible with the entire library of games.

I apologise if it felt like I was targeting YOU specifically but I did mean just people/humans/parents etc. as a whole group when I said "you."

Oh, sorry.  It must be my French side again.  That's hard to grasp for me that You can be plural because we have different pronouns for that.  We also have a pronoun when we talk about hypothetical people so it gets confusing for me when I can't base myself on them anymore.

The 2DS is great for the young audience which it is meant for, the 3DS has been taking out because parents might not like how it might give their kids headaches, The flipping screens have been taking off so kids can't break it so easily, and it is very cheaper than the original.

Very great idea from Nintendo.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, sorry. It must be my French side again. That's hard to grasp for me that You can be plural because we have different pronouns for that. We also have a pronoun when we talk about hypothetical people so it gets confusing for me when I can't base myself on them anymore.

I actually just think I'm a weird person in the way I use my language. I was using a personal address as more of pluralised one xD I do apologise if it came across that I was attacking you personally in anyway as that was not my intention.

Edited by Kaz
  • Brohoof 1

I guess I have to... agree that this is... kid friendly?

I dunno. As a kid I never broke these, and I'm sure most parents should be smart enough to figure out how to turn off the 3D mode.

I guess I'd like to blame the parents for this, but parents will be parents.

You know, didn't parents complain and get Derpy who finally spoke in MLP, censored?

i think the dual screen design since the GBA SP is kind of stupid for a portable console. won't that, like, increase the chances of the thing breaking apart when you're outside somewhere? durability in a portable electronic device should be one of the first things to consider, really.

I was a kid and I broke a lot of stuff. What I DIDN'T break was my gameboys. In terms of durability, it's just fine. As long as you don't deliberately push on the other screen, trying to break it, you won't really see it breaking.

If it DOES break, I don't think it will break like that. 

It's like old cellphones. Would people really be breaking it like that? Or would they like, drop and shatter it, drop it in a toilet, etc?

• Brohoof 1

I think that nintendo is getting desperate. They should take from Sony and Microsoft and start making decent games.

Now don't get mad at me! I used to have a Nintendo DSI. But it broke... So now I use an Xbox for console gaming, and an iPad for portable gaming.

*facepalm* Yes, this is amazing 'cause every kid nowadays wants a bulky console gaming system that can't fold so you can put it in small places. Seriously, it has the strangest design and is really kinda pointless! It doesn't even have 3D, which is really cool (I have a 3DS). I don't get it, but I'm sure some people will buy it. :mellow:

Nintendo 3DS is quite a clever name if you ask me, when they first introduced the Nintendo DS, I was like what kind of name could that be for a console, "DS" has been used for several games' names, and stands for "dual screen" not only that but that name was so spot on that could be used as simplistic yet fantastic name for a console.

Now with the 3DS, Nintendo's wittiness is even more visible because it is like a game of words, 3D for three dimensions and DS for dual screen, it's perfect, they both have a D, it's a perfect match.

I know this sounds super silly but actually I thought that the name of the console was much more attractive because of that. 

• Brohoof 3

I think that nintendo is getting desperate. They should take from Sony and Microsoft and start making decent games.

Now don't get mad at me! I used to have a Nintendo DSI. But it broke... So now I use an Xbox for console gaming, and an iPad for portable gaming.

How on earth is Nintendo getting desperate? And what do you mean "start making decent games"? So, all of these great games that came to Nintendo systems have been awful? There's no way. I have a DSi and I had it for years, and it's in perfect working condition..they don't break easy. I hope I don't sound too rude or anything here. 

• Brohoof 2

http://uk.ign.com/games/upcoming/3ds?sortBy=popularity&sortOrder=desc

Nintendo are not getting desperate at all. Now, Microsoft with the whole back-pedalling on the Xbox One? THAT, That is what is desperate. It's not even that they were thinking of the consumer complaints, they just wanted to make sure they sold so they went back on everything they said.

Nintendo 3DS is quite a clever name if you ask me, when they first introduced the Nintendo DS, I was like what kind of name could that be for a console, "DS" has been used for several games' names, and stands for "dual screen" not only that but that name was so spot on that could be used as simplistic yet fantastic name for a console.

Now with the 3DS, Nintendo's wittiness is even more visible because it is like a game of words, 3D for three dimensions and DS for dual screen, it's perfect, they both have a D, it's a perfect match.

I know this sounds super silly but actually I thought that the name of the console was much more attractive because of that. 

Just a note to this. I actually like the name of both the 2DS and the 3DS but what I said was just a parody of what the author of the quote used in a previous post said.

• Brohoof 1

Since people are talking about how it looks uncomfortable, I'm gonna go ahead and leave this article here

http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-2ds-i-really-like-this-bread-slice-of-a-system-261044.phtml

According to this guy, it's surprisingly really comfortable

I saw the article and no matter how many pros it has, it's just super ugly and it kills portability big time, I can't put it in my pocket, luckily I have a 3DS XL, it's kinda hard to make it fit in my pocket, but it compesates with that huge ass screen and the fact that it folds  >_>

Just a note to this. I actually like the name of both the 2DS and the 3DS but what I said was just a parody of what the author of the quote used in a previous post said.

oopsie :)  :okiedokielokie:   :o

• Brohoof 2

For my purposes, it is a better option than the 3DS. It's cheap and because I'm not that much of a gamer anymore, I can't see myself playing on it outside of my room very much. The loss of the 3D effect doesn't bother me because I could never play with the 3D effect on for more than a few seconds at a time because it hurts my eyes and makes my head spin a little x_x