Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Egghead

So recently Entertainment Weekly tossed up this little gem, which is basically Equestria Girls... if it was with real life girls. Watch the entire thing here and then cry tell me your opinion!

http://family-room.ew.com/2013/08/30/equestria-girls-music-video/

Equestria-Girls.jpg

Yikes.

So what are your thoughts on our new teen, blonde pony human friends? 

And as a bonus question which do you prefer; Technicolor humans or live action?

I vote pony all the way!

• Brohoof 1

I don't think there is a point for a live action version of the movie because it is better to leave it animated and the designs in the live action movie would look pretty disturbing. Trying to adapt from animated to live action needs a lot of time and effort to perfect, but if they are going to try to make it live action at least not rush it like the animated version. Give time for plot, development, and a good climax that makes sense.

I'd actually love to see a live action version.

• Brohoof 3

Well this is... interesting. Very unexpected. I believe the colour of their hair and skin might brew up a storm in the fandom though (They're always fighting over what race the mane six might be)

I'd like to see what they do with the live action version though, I've seen them do it with Sailor moon and that was alright.

I'm not particularly keen on their hairstyles though, they look a little odd and could be done a lot better :/ That's my only issue with it xD 

Definitely vote for technicolour ponies all the way though. xD

Edited by Smushins
  • Brohoof 4

To be honest..i'm not sold on the idea but i'm not gonna bash it just yet. I'll have to see what happens when the time comes as far as other ponies go I just hope this doesn't start another massive rage quit.

Hmmm, interesting.

No matter what your opinion on Equestria Girls is, it was also made to sell new toys, just like FiM itself, but this time also to improve in Hasbro's competition against Mattel. This here is rather odd, in my opinion. I prefer the pastel human designs from the movie definitely to live action. And I hope this isn't giving any hints on what Hasbro tries to compete with next...

high-school-musical.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CA I kid, I kid...

• Brohoof 3

That looks just awful.  XD I much prefer the cartoon.  I don't think I'd even want a cartoon Equestria Girls series though.  FIM is great and I'll stick to that.

• Brohoof 2

I've seen worse. Feels awfully Disney/Nickelodeon though. Not even *current* stuff, but back in the 80's-90's kind of.... 

Oh lord. Weird thought. How old are the executives that greenlit this? Is this them trying to recreate what *they* watched when they were kids?

• Brohoof 2

If they did a live action version it could have a lot of potential, I mean there are some girls out there who do a really good job at cosplaying the ponies in human form. However a movie with a bunch of little blonde girls being the mane 6...I just feel like it would be kind of half assed.

The live action video wasn't too bad. I liked how in the beginning the Pinkie Pie girl did that thing with her legs that they did in the "Help Twilight win the crown" song. It was a quick little thing, and a nice nod to the movie. Anyways, If they (Hasbro) are going to do a live action Equestria girls movie...I don't think it would be too great. I think a fan made one could be really cool though, since they could do whatever they wanted.

I just don't think a Hasbro one with little girls would satisfy me, even if it wasn't that bad. It's just that I've been to Anime Cons and I so much prefer the older girls who go full out on their mane 6 cosplays as opposed to these little girls. It could have been far worse, yes. Maybe I'm just being too critical, I don't know.

Also this has a My Little Pony 80's/90's style Vibe to it, this totally doesn't feel like G4.

Edited by BioticDemon

I thought the video was pretty funny, I don't know why but I just laughed throughout watching the whole video. I wouldn't be against a live action version of the movie, as long as all the voice actors played their character. Yes that means I would want some production value done where Ashleigh Ball and Andrea Libman do each of their characters separately and then its like there is two of them in the final product.

I think that would just be hilarious.

It wasn't bad. We have to realize that things like this are for the target demographic of younger girls. Be thankful they didn't use those hideous costumes that were posted on EQD...

Besides, it's just a fun and harmless commercial. I'm not crazy about the rap/pop song or the use of 14-16 year old girls to depict the ponies, but again the commercial has a specific audience. I don't think we have to worry about a real live action show or anything.

Actually, the costumes and hair styles were fairly impressive and somewhat accurate to the ones used in the movie.

• Brohoof 1

The first time I saw this, I find it adorable and wasn't bad for me. The song is fairly catchy and the girls's costumes and hair was fairly for me.

It's kind of sad to see bronies reacting horrible and unmature to this video which was the same when they react to the older generations and when Equestia Girls was first announce. There is nothing wrong when seening cartoon ponies turned into cartoon humans when the movie came out and everyone love it, but it's bad to see LIVE ACTION version of Equestia Girls that stars middle school girls?

This is just a music video for the target audience, no not going to be a Live action movie.

I love MLP:FIM, but some of the fandom disappoint me. -_-

I thought this was kinda cool, but I definitely want to stick mostly to my pastel-colored ponies. I wouldn't mind seeing more live action stuff though.

One thing I definitely wanna see, MicTheMicrophone and maybe someone like EileMonty covering the song! :3

Personally, I think it was pretty bad. The girls in there were too young. I've always imagined the Mane Six to be in the 18-22 age range. I accepted the fact that Hasbro put them in a high school setting in Equestria Girls. But, now they're in middle school? (At least they look like they were in middle school) It just doesn't look good being converted into live action. But, as others have mentioned, this is aimed towards a young female audience.

Still, I feel like that video was......

• Brohoof 1

It wasn't bad. We have to realize that things like this are for the target demographic of younger girls. Be thankful they didn't use those hideous costumes that were posted on EQD...

Besides, it's just a fun and harmless commercial. I'm not crazy about the rap/pop song or the use of 14-16 year old girls to depict the ponies, but again the commercial has a specific audience. I don't think we have to worry about a real live action show or anything.

Actually, the costumes and hair styles were fairly impressive and somewhat accurate to the ones used in the movie.

Totally agree, the song is also really well done and perfectly fitting if your aiming at that demographic.

If this ever did become a thing I wouldn't be able to watch it though, so long as it doesn't affect FIM then they can do whatever :P!

• Brohoof 1

Er, well it's certainly for the little girls audience part of the MLP fanbase that's for sure, I mean there's definitely enough in EqG for us but still...

That was just terrible, especially the way they butchered HTWtC into half a rap song with bad singing lyrics, just inexcusable! :o

Between this and the dolls, everything about what they're doing with EqG that isn't the movie itself has been really hard to stomach so far... :/

• Brohoof 1

Eh, i'm not a very big fan of live action movies based on animated stuff anyways. Its just always so awkward...

Besides, it looks kinda eh.

And i like the animation style of the show more, even EqG's. Not quite as good as the normal show but still better then live action in my opinion.

Plus the toys don't give me hope..

That was sorta kinda really awful. When I think about it, the commercial reflected what a lot of fans feared it would be. Hell one of the scenes in that trailer reminded me an awful lot like this picture made when EQG was first revealed

281277.png

Edited by Megas75
  • Brohoof 1

Another weird thought. I was under the impression that Equestria Girls was originally intended to be aimed at the teen market. I was also under the impression that teen girls (like most non-adult groups) on average prefer to watch shows when the characters are presented to be of their own age, or older.

Yet this commercial looked to me to be aimed at the tween market, not the teen one.

Not saying that's bad in and of itself, but it does feel to me that EqG hasn't hit the target demographic, and Hasbro is doing a bit of backpedaling to *find* the market it is actually hitting.

• Brohoof 1

There is not enough reaction video on the tube capable to show my hatred for this abomination. It's not enough that they made of EQG some uber-girly stuff, now they make something that makes High School Musical looks like the freaking Miserables!

This short thing is just another slap in the face of the franchise. But im sure that until there will be cameos of some character people will threat this thing like is the best thing ever. Or maybe they will wake up from all the Rebecca Black-like songs, and will understand how much Hasbro need to stop messing with our beloved franchise/Series.

I don't think it's horrible... Just incredibly cheesy. I think the girls were a bit too young for the video, though. I think the Mane Six were about 16-18 in EQG...

Still, it's not bad.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's horrible... Just incredibly cheesy. I think the girls were a bit too young for the video, though. I think the Mane Six were about 16-18 in EQG...

Still, it's not bad.

So you're saying because of their demographic, they should ignore anything that isn't simple and easy to understand and toss any meaningful and smart storylines out the window, because people think kids are idiots and cannot understand anything that isn’t completely obvious? it's just astonishing that Hasbro put such little effort into their costumes, the choreography and the music, it just looks like they stopped trying halfway through making this piece of crap.

So you're saying because of their demographic, they should ignore anything that isn't simple and easy to understand and toss any meaningful and smart storylines out the window, because people think kids are idiots and cannot understand anything that isn’t completely obvious? it's just astonishing that Hasbro put such little effort into their costumes, the choreography and the music, it just looks like they stopped trying halfway through making this piece of crap.

I uh..... what? I'm sorry, but I just don't know what you're talking about I never said anything about demographics or story.

It's.... a commercial, dude.

I've seen it.

Do not want.

I didn't like EQG that much anyways, and this just feels like a girlier version with better shading (but with meh costumes, bad choreagraphy and girls that were like 12, even though the Mane 6 seemed to be around 16) lel

But this, I do want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fb1Nz8mE_2M

Video has swear words, and a overly high amount of lens flares blah blah blah

Edited by Relotus
  • Brohoof 1