Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How long is 30 moons?

Huntress

Uh, guys? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 30 moons mean 30 nights (excluding the new moon maybe). Full moon or not, any moon phase shown in the sky is still a moon. But I haven't watched EQG yet, so I could be wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, lets use some episodes to try and gather more info on this.

On Episode 4 of Season 1 "Applebuck Season", when Twilight Sparkle asks Applejack why all her relatives that she met when she first came to Ponyville aren't helping her gather all the apples, Applejack replies that they were only there for the Apple Family Reunion. (Watch episode here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJmUheecSY ). Now, when Twilight Sparkle first came to Ponyville was on the first episode, "Friendship is Magic, part 1" she came to Ponyville to supervise everything before the Summer Sun Celebration (which was to happen the very next day). During that day before the Summer Sun Celebration is when Twilight Sparkle goes to Sweet Apple Acres to check on the catering for the Summer Sun Celebration. There Applejack cordially greets Twilight Sparkle while she and members of her family offer her food samples, we then learn on "Applebuck Season" that the Apple family members were there for the Apple Family Reunion. So that reunion takes place the day before that Summer Sun Celebration.

Fast forward now to Episode 6 of Season 4 "Apple Family Reunion" which you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpGjTdwzyxQ Granny Smith says that it has been 100 moons since the last Apple Family Reunion. That means that it has been 100 moons since that Reunion and the last one, on that day before the Summer Sun Celebration.

We now have an in show "metric" to use. What we need to do now is try to determine how many days have passed between that reunion and the last one, and we'll know just how many days are exactly 100 moons. After we get that, then we can use it to determine how much are 30 moons.

So, anyone know how we can figure out the days between the episodes "Friendship is Magic, Part 1" and "Apple Family Reunion"?

Nearly two years. At the most 3 years. But still not to long in my mind. If anything, why can't it be 50 moons. Two years isn't too terrible long, so If I did my math correctly that would mean Sunset shimmer was a 12-14 year old when she entered the portal.

• 2 years later...

30 moons is 30 x 27.3 days = 819 days

819 days is almost 2 and a half years.

But in lamen's terms, it's once in a blue moon.

...IT'S ONCE IN A BLUE MOON!!! GENIUS!

• Brohoof 1

30 moons is 2 years and 89 days if your going by what us people on earth perceive as a moon which is one lunar cycle, a lunar cycle in equestria isn't equal to a lunar cycle on earth.

Edited by CookieK

Well, the diameter of our moon is 3,474.8 kilometers (roughly 2,159.14062 miles). Assuming they're aligned in a row, end touching end, then 30 moons would roughly be 10,4244 kilomers long (64,774.2186 miles)

That's 1140026.24736 football fields.

Oh, you meant the unit of time, didn't you?

Edited by StoneCold
  • Brohoof 1

Well, the diameter of our moon is 3,474.8 kilometers (roughly 2,159.14062 miles). Assuming they're aligned in a row, end touching end, then 30 moons would roughly be 10,4244 kilomers long (64,774.2186 miles)

That's 1140026.24736 football fields.

Oh, you meant the unit of time, didn't you?

This is my favorite kind of response to ANY topic. XDD (That's a lot of football fields though O_O)

I agree with the theory that it's about two years or so. If it was only 30 rising/fallings of the moon, equivalent to about a month total, then it wouldn't have been quite as drastic for Twi to get out in time, even though a month is still fairly long.

There is no human equivalent for what constitutes a moon in Equestria. As mentioned earlier it is just a term used to describe a passage of time without getting into specifics, but from the context of the film it sounds like being trapped in the alternate world while waiting for the portal to open is not a short amount of time thus explaining Twilight's urgency.

• 1 year later...
On 8/26/2013 at 8:37 PM, RazzyJam said:

A moon refers to a complete lunar cycle from Full moon to new moon back to full moon . So 30 Moons is roughly 30 Months. 

More specifically, From full moon to full moon is 27.3 days.

So 27.3 days/moon x 30 moons = 819 days.

On 9/29/2013 at 2:28 PM, The Soldier said:

Uh, guys? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think 30 moons mean 30 nights (excluding the new moon maybe). Full moon or not, any moon phase shown in the sky is still a moon. But I haven't watched EQG yet, so I could be wrong

I think each moon phase last about seven days. Also from new moon to new moon takes about 29.5 days. Sorry if you have a late reply.

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/skytellers/moon-phases/

On 10.10.2013. at 3:44 AM, Persona22 said:

Okay, lets use some episodes to try and gather more info on this.

On Episode 4 of Season 1 "Applebuck Season", when Twilight Sparkle asks Applejack why all her relatives that she met when she first came to Ponyville aren't helping her gather all the apples, Applejack replies that they were only there for the Apple Family Reunion. (Watch episode here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQJmUheecSY ). Now, when Twilight Sparkle first came to Ponyville was on the first episode, "Friendship is Magic, part 1" she came to Ponyville to supervise everything before the Summer Sun Celebration (which was to happen the very next day). During that day before the Summer Sun Celebration is when Twilight Sparkle goes to Sweet Apple Acres to check on the catering for the Summer Sun Celebration. There Applejack cordially greets Twilight Sparkle while she and members of her family offer her food samples, we then learn on "Applebuck Season" that the Apple family members were there for the Apple Family Reunion. So that reunion takes place the day before that Summer Sun Celebration.

Fast forward now to Episode 6 of Season 4 "Apple Family Reunion" which you can see here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpGjTdwzyxQ Granny Smith says that it has been 100 moons since the last Apple Family Reunion. That means that it has been 100 moons since that Reunion and the last one, on that day before the Summer Sun Celebration.

We now have an in show "metric" to use. What we need to do now is try to determine how many days have passed between that reunion and the last one, and we'll know just how many days are exactly 100 moons. After we get that, then we can use it to determine how much are 30 moons.

So, anyone know how we can figure out the days between the episodes "Friendship is Magic, Part 1" and "Apple Family Reunion"?

We also have Equestria Girls measurement

Between events of Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rocks, 6 moons are passed (according to Meghan McCarthy )

• 4 years later...
On 2022-02-12 at 7:44 PM, Splashee said:

They sure like to go to high school for many many moons (maybe too many?)

I believe that the writers have said that the Equestria Girls world is not the same as our world.

• Brohoof 1