Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Poniverse login really integrated?

Jack "Fox" Grayson

(This might not be the right place to bring this up.)

I know that MLP Forums and Pony.fm share account credentials, but I have to log in to each site individually, so this makes me wonder if Poniverse login is truly "integrated." Is this normal? Is implementing an integrated login infeasible? This login system isn't a major inconvenience; I'm just curious.

I have noticed that if I'm already signed into MLP Forums, and I head over to Pony.fm and click "login", it just logs me in right away without asking for login info.

Maybe in the future, we'll see that happening with one less click.

• Brohoof 1

The accounts are shared, so yes, it is indeed integrated.

It is technically possible (though not trivial) to not require a person to login with their poniverse account (even by just clicking on the "login" link if they're already logged in at poniverse.net). However, at this point, that is something that we haven't had the time to look into.

• Brohoof 1

a friend of mine used to use facebook to sign in now he can't so he's locked out of his account.

:(  Sorry about that. I signed up with Twitter, but I set an actual password since Pony.fm didn't have login from other sites. (Only MLP Forums did.)

I have noticed that if I'm already signed into MLP Forums, and I head over to Pony.fm and click "login", it just logs me in right away without asking for login info.

Whelp, that just happened to me. I think that came out with the new beta. :okiedokielokie:

The login mechanisms are fully integrated, but restrictions on cookies prevent us from being able to easily "log you in" on different domains at the same time. poniverse.net, mlpforums.com, and pony.fm are all different domains, so Poniverse is unable to set the session cookies on MLP Forums and Pony.fm automatically that keep you logged in there. Keeping domains from setting and reading cookies for each other is a good security measure, but also an inconvenience when a network like us wants to offer unified logins across multiple domains.

Now... there are ways to work around this. It's not impossible. But it's not trivial, either, so we plan to come back to cross-site single-sign-on after a few more of Poniverse.net's core features have been implemented. :)

• Brohoof 3

The login mechanisms are fully integrated, but restrictions on cookies prevent us from being able to easily "log you in" on different domains at the same time. poniverse.net, mlpforums.com, and pony.fm are all different domains, so Poniverse is unable to set the session cookies on MLP Forums and Pony.fm automatically that keep you logged in there. Keeping domains from setting and reading cookies for each other is a good security measure, but also an inconvenience when a network like us wants to offer unified logins across multiple domains.

Now... there are ways to work around this. It's not impossible. But it's not trivial, either, so we plan to come back to cross-site single-sign-on after a few more of Poniverse.net's core features have been implemented. :)

To de-jargonise what Feld0 said.

Poniverse puts a file on your computer that identifies who you are, but because of browser security restrictions only Poniverse can access that file. Hence why you need to visit Poniverse first to log into Pony.fm / MLPForums, once logged in it sends back a code that tells them who you are.

Whelp, that just happened to me. I think that came out with the new beta. :okiedokielokie:

Nope! It was there before, I made sure to get it out asap once Poniverse went live and hell wasn't breaking lose. :)

Ah, I realize what happened before. I signed into Pony.fm first, and it did not not login automatically to MLP Forums.

@@Feld0,@, I understand the technical issues. I would be content with clicking the login button on a site and then have it done automatically, which seems to already be the case with Pony.fm when one is already logged into MLP Forums. It just doesn't seem to work the other way.

EDIT: Never mind, it seems that it does work when I login to Pony.fm first. I don't know if this topic should stay open.

Edited by Jack Fox Grayson