Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ever have one of those moments that made you want to leave the fandom

Bendy

Don't mean to start drama. But did you ever have one of those moments that made you feel you wanted to leave the fandom?

The horror of coming across a fan fiction involving pedophilia (Only read the summary. Simply don't want to read kind of stuff and would worry about Police Officers knocking on my door, followed by an angry mob of people coming at me with pitchforks and torches) in the feature box on fimfiction. Shivers went down my spine and I was in a stat of shock for a few minutes, I seriously considered leaving the fandom, (still watch the show, but avoid all Bronies) but soon reminded myself this is the Internet, so it's full of messed up stuff already and surely most Bronies would find it disgusting.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 2

When I first joined the fandom. I wanted to leave so badly because I feared what others might think of me for liking the show. But then I remembered that no one likes me anyway, so I had nothing to lose.

• Brohoof 8

I've never wanted to leave the fandom, but it has sort of annoyed me on occasion. I don't try to avoid all Bronies either, just the extremist ones. For example, the kind of people that sent death threats to DHX...

Anyway, I don't think that particular fanfiction is anything to be worried about. I mean, it was probably written by a single person, and you have to remind yourself that in a fandom consisting of potentially millions of people, there are bound to be a few people like that... I don't think its anything to leave the fandom over considering most are pretty cool people.
Maybe the fic was just a troll attempt? 

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

Anyway, I don't think that particular fanfiction is anything to be worried about. I mean, it was probably written by a single person, and you have to remind yourself that in a fandom consisting of potentially millions of people, there are bound to be a few people like that... I don't think its anything to leave the fandom over considering most are pretty cool people.

Maybe the fic was just a troll attempt? 

Well, it wasn't a trollfic, (I don't think so anyway) luckily there tends to a huge dislike bar for everyone of these types of fan fictions. Even for ones in the fimfiction feature box.

Truly, I was sickened. I would not want to meet any of those who like it in real life and would watch them like hawk if was at a Brony party, where kids were present.

Edited by Rush

Well, it wasn't a trollfic, (I don't so anyway) luckily there tends to a huge dislike bar for everyone of these types of fan fictions. Even for ones in the fimfiction feature box.

Truly, I was sickened.

I guess the dislike bar speaks more about how welcome that kind of fic is then...

Your best bet would be to just ignore it. I mean, its the internet. There are all types of crazy things and people out here.

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

i originally didn't want to (or at least could admit to myself) that I was part of the fandom in the first place.  It took me about 5 months to kind've open up.  I am a huge tomboy, and as a child I burned barbie dolls (that'll give you an idea of what I think of girly things).  So when my curiosity turned into pure enjoyment for something made for girls, I really had an internal battle.  But now it's all good, though I have threatened quite a few people calling me out on it in a negative way (i.e. i hate being teased, and haters in general). 
Once I got over my initial battle, I never once thought about leaving the fandom.  Of course I know there are sickos in every fandom and those people I just ignore...

How oxymoronic!

Edited by Treble Bolt

Not really, only once my head give the idea but as soon imagine my life without MLP i realized that i never leave the fandom, even if i has 70 or 80. I not obsesed but let's say that the ponies COMPLETE ME (as joker said XD).

Before MLP my life was sad, empty and shy, but thanks to MLP i can smile without giving a f#ck what others think

I never did want to leave the fandom ,but there were times where people in the fandom seriously annoy me.

And all over a simple question about who's best pony.

Everypony knows Bender is best Pony! XD

Yeah, but seriously, I made fun of that whole thing in a fan fiction of mine, where the Bronies shoot each other if one disagrees with who's best Pony.

Edited by Rush

If I dislike a particular person or fan-work, I can ignore and dissasociate from them.

I don't plan on leaving unless the show goes totally down the drain, and even then, there will likely be reasons to stick around.

I'm in the fandom because I'm a fan!

How does one even "leave the fandom"? How does the process work?

Also, by claiming that you want to "avoid all Bronies", you're making some extreme generalizations

Edited by Kyouko
  • Brohoof 2

Every time drama stirs up. Everytime drama was happening I kept thinking to myself "am I gonna have to deal with this all the time?"

• Brohoof 1

Leaving the fandom is something most people do when they don't like something within it.

For me? My family making fun of me, but I'm tough and hardcore to handle that, now their words are nothing to me.

You'd think it would be the twilicorn, but I'm ok with it.

There's never really been a good reason for me to leave the fandom yet, but I sometimes consider it when some drama happens.

Apart from those times, I've never really found any that makes me want to leave, as I don't really interact with the "dark side" of the fandom.

Why would you leave the fandom over one type of person? Every person is different, brony or not.

Nothing made me ever want to leave the fandom, but there are bronies I don't like, as there are people I don't like within any fandom.

Also, not that it makes it right in any way, but why do people act like the bronies are the only ones that does gross stuff like that? All fandoms do it.

(Haven't you ever seen Pokephillia?)

How does one even "leave the fandom"? How does the process work?

Also, by claiming that you want to "avoid all Bronies", you're making some extreme generalizations

I guess you just refuse to identify yourself as a member any more. Perhaps you don't need to get rid of pony stuff on your computer, but refusing to be called a Brony seems to be enough. Kinda like when you first enter the fandom, you decide to call yourself a Brony whenever.

@ thread: There's only ever really been one time. I once milled around on an anti-Brony sub over on Reddit with an undercover account, because I was interested about their perspective on things. The 5% of people who weren't totally vile actually had some great foundations for being anti-Brony and it made me question my position for a while. Afterwards, I spent an equal amount of time on a Brony sub to freshen up the perspective and pretty much decided that I felt at home with this fandom and that there was nothing at all wrong with being a Brony, so I stayed with the fandom. (This was before I joined the forums).

But yeah, if I had spent another day or so chatting to those blokes, they might have permanently switched off my Bronydom :( Of course I'm glad they didn't! n.n

Edited by Flipturn

I have the most scathing feelings for Equestria Girls out of anyone I know...and yet, even I knew that sending death threats to the animators at DHX was crossing about 17 lines. There were people there who wanted to stop doing what they loved, and go back to some menial job animating TV ads, out of fear for themselves and their safety; because of letters sent by fans. Jesus.

(Anything dumb Hasbro/whoever does with the brand doesn't really affect my appreciation for the fandumb though)

the first three episodes when i was still a non-brony. mainly the rarity scenes. she just seemed to be the girly stereotype i was hoping was not in the show.

That never made me want to stop watching the show, but it certainly made me want to turn down my speakers and close my windows, haha. 

• Brohoof 1

Every time that i see a shit/alicorn OC I want to ragequit like hell. :l

Twilicorn also had a slight effect on me that i considered abandoning ship cause of.

Also when bronies overreact to any little thing at all, whether be it good or bad. (Which is all the damn time :l)

Oh, and when new bronies go around and constantly spout off pony slang, jokes, brohooves, etc.

Though, majority if not all of that are done in a joking manner to make fun of those who legitimately leave over stupid shit.

Edited by Ditzy Haven Doo

A while back when people started posting awful things about bronies, but since then I got over it and I don't care anymore it is the internet after all. twilightshrugplz.png?1

Edited by Unipeg

Yes, specifically the time I received death threats because I wrote a shipping fic, some people take things too seriously, but that crossed the line. I was done, right then and there, and then I calmed down and I'm still in the fandom because I realized that you're only truly successful once you've received death threats, it means I've expressed an opinion detailed enough that some people strongly disagree with me.

Some people are just stupid and I shouldn't leave the fandom because some people can't handle a fic (That I wrote as a joke).

In case you're wondering what the fic was about, it shipped Luna and Gummy, it wasn't explicit or anything, I didn't hold anybody at gun point and force them to read it. For that reason, sending me death threats and generally harassing me was unnecessary.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

About halfway through the break of seasons two-three, I started disliking ponies for a bit, actually. Why? No idea, as I can't remember, but it started me on a bad foot and thought during the beginning of season three. (The bad first episodes didn't help, either.) Though, I've of course passed that ickiness back ages ago.
   I've never wanted to leave the fandom due to any other reason then that, though. Yes, some fans get really...Not good, but I won't say " OH, UM, 'DIS GUY HERE, HE LIEKS FLUTSHAI AND I HAET FLUTSAYH SO LIEK FAK U AL IM GOEN" as I do know some people would. (Heck, when Fluttershy was a bit higher on my liking list, I had some people rage and be horridly rude to me, due to her not being my favourite. It was pretty dumb.) 

• 7 years later...