Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronyette

@@Admiral Regulus,

By the way Admiral Regulus, I think I remember quite well that you are a self-proclaimed philosopher and quite good at it as well. Do you have time to help me with my studies in the field? 

I don't know how much help I'll be, but... sure, I guess?

• Brohoof 1

Using Lagrange interpolation of each terms' series expansion through the law of arctangents and the indefinite integral of Coulomb's law, your answer should come out to be 19 times the error function of 19.

Coulomb's law is about electrostatics, not number theory. Explain this please? Oh, and why do you need Lagrange when you are dealing with constants and not polynomials?

Coulomb's law is about electrostatics, not number theory. Explain this please? Oh, and why do you need Lagrange when you are dealing with constants and not polynomials?

I only give sarcastic answers to sarcastic questions.

• Brohoof 1

I only give sarcastic answers to sarcastic questions.

Looking at your profile page I get this text:

"A squirrel's perception of my existential value is highly dependent on the status of my nut possession." What the heck does that mean?

It means narrow-minded people (squirrels) only value me for what they see (nuts). If I have nuts, squirrels are my best friends. If I don't have nuts, I'm completely ignored by squirrels. If you're that shallow of a person, then that's because you're no more intelligent than a squirrel.

You say squirrels are narrow-minded. Well, my status on this website, displayed by a picture underneath my avatar, is a squirrel. And I was narrow-minded enough to assume that you actually were giving an actual number theory explaination for why 9+10=19. And so I analyzed your post. Ya know, I'm really looking foward to becoming something other than a dumb squirrel.

My status as a squirrel, however, does not affect my friend status, because friends are made on the spiritual plane ( :P ), while squirrel minds are just formulated on the physical plane. If a squirrel acted in the way that you described, then that would not be being a friend, but being a buisness aquaintence (horrible spelling, I know). B)

Looking at your profile page I get this text:

You say squirrels are narrow-minded. Well, my status on this website, displayed by a picture underneath my avatar, is a squirrel. And I was narrow-minded enough to assume that you actually were giving an actual number theory explaination for why 9+10=19. And so I analyzed your post. Ya know, I'm really looking foward to becoming something other than a dumb squirrel.

My status as a squirrel, however, does not affect my friend status, because friends are made on the spiritual plane ( :P ), while squirrel minds are just formulated on the physical plane. If a squirrel acted in the way that you described, then that would not be being a friend, but being a buisness aquaintence (horrible spelling, I know). B)

o_O

I actually didn't even realize squirrel was a rank here.

• Brohoof 1

Ok, I've got an insanely simple question about logarithms. I solved this problem easily, but the answer book says I'm wrong. I think the answer book is wrong, and I'm right. Here is the question (sorry for the bad typesetting...):

Given that log_a(2) = 0.301, log_a(7)=0.845, log_a(8)=0.903, find this logarithm: log_a(sqrt(128).

Here is my work:

log_a(sqrt(128))=log_a(128^(1/2))=(1/2)*log_a(128)=(1/2)log_a(2*8*8)=(1/2)*(log_a(2)+log_a(8)+log_a(8))=(1/2)*((0.301)+(0.903)+(0.903))=1.0535

Here is their work:

log_a(128^(1/2))

log_a((2^7)^(1/2))

log_a(2^(7/2)

7/2

They made a big error. They assumed that a=2, when I can prove that can not be. If log_a(2)=0.301 like the question says, then a can not be 2.

As long as this question you are presenting is written down wrong by you here, I am getting the same answer as I can prove that base a=10.0 with a little fiddling of my ti-89. Thus log(swrt(128))=1.0536

• 2 weeks later...

What does nine plus ten equal?

Easy peasy. It's ten. 9 + (1 + 0) = 10.

It's also equal to 8+2, 7+3, 6+4, 5+5, and if we allow negative numbers, then also 11-1, 12-2 etc., so 9+1 is actually equal to infinitely many other expressions ;)

But if we ask what number it is equal to, then there's only one: ten.

BTW why did you add that 0 inside parenthesis in your equation?

How does it help in figuring out that 9 + 1 = 10?

A challenge for more sophisticated math whizs: how can we prove that this calculation is correct? ;)

It's also equal to 8+2, 7+3, 6+4, 5+5, and if we allow negative numbers, then also 11-1, 12-2 etc., so 9+1 is actually equal to infinitely many other expressions ;)

But if we ask what number it is equal to, then there's only one: ten.

BTW why did you add that 0 inside parenthesis in your equation?

How does it help in figuring out that 9 + 1 = 10?

A challenge for more sophisticated math whizs: how can we prove that this calculation is correct? ;)

Well, the question was "What does nine plus ten equal? ". So split the ten into "1 + 0", and leave the nine as it is. 9 + 1 + 0 = 10. See, I know how to math good.  -_- 

Oh, so it was nine plus TEN, not nine plus one?

That makes a whole lot of difference! :P

Because then your answer is wrong. (Mine too, since I was being suggested by yours.)

The correct one is 19 (if we ask for a number), or any combination of parts which adds up to 19 (if we ask for what is it equal to).

When you add a single-digit number to ten, it doesn't change the tens digit, only the units. So it starts with 1, and the 9 goes into the units position.

Edited by SasQ

Can someone please help me out with a little algebra? Give me a link please or something.

What part of algebra do you need help with? 

Edited by icyfire888

I'd be more than willing to help people with math, up to calculus, and anything regarding papers, formatting, word choice, etc. 

I currently work as a University history professor's assistant, after graduating with a major in History and a minor in English, so I'm fairly confident in my knowledge of those subjects. :)

I'm usually available in in the afternoon through evening, in the American time zones (UTC - 9-5) so feel free to message me if you need help.

Edited by WhiteShadow

I'd be more than willing to help people with math, up to calculus,

Ok, I've got an insanely simple question about logarithms. I solved this problem easily, but the answer book says I'm wrong. I think the answer book is wrong, and I'm right. Here is the question (sorry for the bad typesetting...):

Given that log_a(2) = 0.301, log_a(7)=0.845, log_a(8)=0.903, find this logarithm: log_a(sqrt(128).

Here is my work:

log_a(sqrt(128))=log_a(128^(1/2))=(1/2)*log_a(128)=(1/2)log_a(2*8*8)=(1/2)*(log_a(2)+log_a(8)+log_a(8))=(1/2)*((0.301)+(0.903)+(0.903))=1.0535

Here is their work:

log_a(128^(1/2))

log_a((2^7)^(1/2))

log_a(2^(7/2)

7/2

They made a big error. They assumed that a=2, when I can prove that can not be. If log_a(2)=0.301 like the question says, then a can not be 2.

I've had this annoying question sitting in my head for a year now. I'm right, but no math person I talk to understands why I'm right. :(

I've had this annoying question sitting in my head for a year now. I'm right, but no math person I talk to understands why I'm right. :(

Well, this is just a quick thing I'm doing while at work, but working within parenthesis

log a(squareroot(128)) is the same as

log a (8*squareroot(2)) If you know that

8*squareroot(2) is 11.31370849 then you know that it comes to

log a (11.31370849) which is 

Unless I misunderstood the formatting. Because log 2 = 0.301 so if it's log a*2 then (a) is 1. Which would actually make the answer the same either way. So unless I misunderstood or misread something, the answer would be  1.054, and a=1

Hope that helps you, and if it's been a year, it's also most likely no longer relevant at this point.

• Brohoof 1

Well, this is just a quick thing I'm doing while at work, but working within parenthesis

log a(squareroot(128)) is the same as

log a (8*squareroot(2)) If you know that

8*squareroot(2) is 11.31370849 then you know that it comes to

log a (11.31370849) which is 

Unless I misunderstood the formatting. Because log 2 = 0.301 so if it's log a*2 then (a) is 1. Which would actually make the answer the same either way. So unless I misunderstood or misread something, the answer would be  1.054, and a=1

Hope that helps you, and if it's been a year, it's also most likely no longer relevant at this point.

The question is just this: Given that log_a(2) = 0.301, log_a(7)=0.845, log_a(8)=0.903, find this logarithm: log_a(sqrt(128)).

I don't know what the variable a is; I just know that log_a(2) = 0.301 and so on. I don't really understand how your logic solved the problem, sorry. Anyway, wait till after work to reply. :)

The question is just this: Given that log_a(2) = 0.301, log_a(7)=0.845, log_a(8)=0.903, find this logarithm: log_a(sqrt(128)).

I don't know what the variable a is; I just know that log_a(2) = 0.301 and so on. I don't really understand how your logic solved the problem, sorry. Anyway, wait till after work to reply. :)

The short version is yes, you are correct, the answer is 1.054, which someone on the previous page already agreed with actually, if you need me to I can fully lay it out when I get home. (on lunch now)

Also, amusing grammar anecdote, I said I could help with anything up to calculus, not including calculus. Though, I'm still happy to help with it.

Edited by WhiteShadow
  • Brohoof 1