Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronyette

The words do not match your explanation. "Go off" might be one of those statements that does not equal the words used. At work someone said "the light went off" when in fact it went on. We should not continue to use words incorrectly.

The purpose of linguistic communication is to ensure that the respondent understands the message communicated. The 'alarm went off' would be considered appropriate colloquial communication -- even if a person discounted the fact that there is a legitimate historical and technical reason for the phrases existence to describe an alarm bring sounded. To give you a clue, what happens when the command to 'sound off' is given?

It should also be worth noting that I've used the phrase 'x went off' to indicate a given action in both MLA and APA academic papers. These phrases have never been among a suggested edit.

And another hint, think of a diagram of how an old alarm ringer works. Cross reference publications around the time of said device's mass utilization. Viola!

Or would that be voici? I can never remember. :/

• Brohoof 1

• 5 weeks later...

I know this topic might belong under Octavia's Hall, but I was looking through there and it seemed to be more focused on posting your own art that you've created. I'm just here to try and find some art.

One of my assignments in my Journalism course is to create my own blog and make five posts over five weeks, but I'm still trying to focus on getting it all set up. And I know this has been talked about before, I probably shouldn't involve MLP in my professional life, blah blah blah. But I'm not making the blog about MLP, I'm just theming it around it. That's also why I'm trying to find some fanart without any characters in it. And I'm also trying to find some specifically of Everfree Forest because that's what I've named my blog.

When I say "landscape art," I mean something like this. (But preferably without the watermark. x3) I'm trying to find a good background for it. Also.. No watermark, but if the artist signs their picture, I think that would be fine. Even preferred as long as it isn't too obtrusive. Although I'd obviously ask their permission and credit them anyways.

post-2458-0-56641200-1475006945_thumb.jpg

@@ZomBrony

Because this thread is asking for assistance regarding an assignment, I have gone ahead and merged it with the Homework Help thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with a C++ programming assignment.

I have to take a whole address as an input. However, the professor wants the address to be formatted in this way:

420 Saddle Row

Manehattan, Equestria

He also wants me to program it so that it ignores any commas between the street address and the city name.

I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Can someone please help me?

Edited by flutterbard

• 3 weeks later...

Good Evening Ponyville! MLPforums!

1276607__safe_solo_oc_oc+only_male_pirat

While I am still technically on my mini-forum-break-thingy, I decided I'd pop in to ask this wonderful community a quick question, almost a survey, really. And yes, this is for a homework/project assignment, but I feel this part needs to come from actual field data.

I need to know what the most common stereotypes for pirates are for everyday people. The common image I can come up with is the peg-legs, eye-patches, and hooks for hands, but surely they have more stereotypes than simply those limb replacements?

Post any stereotypes you can think of those swashbuckling heroes below, and I'll add them to the OP. 

Stereotypes

• Eyepatches
  • Peglegs
  • Hooks
  •  
  •  
  •  

Thanks in advance, to all those who help! <3

Hi, @@Sekr Gray

Because this thread is asking for assistance regarding a homework assignment, I have gone ahead and merged it with the Homework Help thread.

• Brohoof 1

sig-4713534.1276607__safe_solo_oc_oc%20o

Stereotypes

• Eyepatches
  • Peglegs
  • Hooks
  •  
  •  
  •  

Parrots, saying argh, flintlocks, puffy shirts, bad teeth, beards, gold dabloons, singing chanties, drinking ale, having scurvy, using cutlasses.

• Brohoof 1

sig-4715262.sig-4713534.1276607__safe_so

While I am still technically on my mini-forum-break-thingy, I decided I'd pop in to ask this wonderful community a quick question, almost a survey, really. And yes, this is for a homework/project assignment, but I feel this part needs to come from actual field data.

I need to know what the most common stereotypes for pirates are for everyday people. The common image I can come up with is the peg-legs, eye-patches, and hooks for hands, but surely they have more stereotypes than simply those limb replacements?

Post any stereotypes you can think of those swashbuckling heroes below, and I'll add them to the OP. 

Stereotypes

• Eyepatches
  • Peglegs
  • Hooks
  •  
  •  
  •  

Parrots, The Jolly Roger, "Walk the plank", "Arrrrrrrrrgh"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you find the range of a rational function with a slant asymptote?

Edited by flutterbard
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I'm stuck on this Acids and Bases question for Chem 2. Anyone care to help me so I don't feel any more stupid than I already do.

Q. The human body contains ~ 4.7 L of blood. If you drink 1 cup (237mL) of orange juice, which contains 0.13 M concentration of citric acid, what will be the pH of your blood? (You can consider your blood to be initially pure water.) The Ka1 of citric acid is 7.1 x 10^-4. Please and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez.. I just remembered from past experiences that I should have asked this question a lot sooner.. It usually takes a day or two for me to even get replies to my thread and half of you are just going to be saying that I shouldn't do my school work on My Little Pony. :/

But let me tell ya, I've done several assignments on My Little Pony throughout my High School and College years and no one has a problem with it. The last time I did an assignment on MLP (a profile feature on Lauren Faust), my teacher actually wanted to know more because I used so much Brony slang. He was interested in the story and said he couldn't feel the full impact because he didn't understand the terminology.

Now I need to write a 2,000 word feature about Bronies in general so I'm going to need a lot of input from you guys. Please don't judge me and just tell me that I shouldn't be involving MLP with my school life like last time - Trust me, it works.

I've been able to appreciate what the show has done in terms of defying the gender stereotypes that have been dominant throughout society, and not going out of its way to let people know that it's been doing that. I also like how I've been able to become part of a community that is quite diverse in what it wants to do, yet I know now that some aspects of it are questionable and the diversity has been tense as of late due to outside forces.

Outside of a cute and heartwarming piece of animation that is worth the price of time investment on its own, I have met an amazing assortment of people and friends, grown fairly close to a few, and most importantly cultivated a shared interest between myself and my two kids. That boundary between friends and family, especially on the internet, dissipated as a few friends from the Brony community met my family. Some actually became a source of strength and compassion during a tumultuous medical issue that crashed down around us this year. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that I got a hell of a lot out of this experience of being a fan of this show. Its impact has been profound at times. 

Thank you, guys.

But I should probably mention - I did say this is for a school project, right? Your names won't be published because only my teacher is going to see the story, but I'll still remove them if you want.

I should have warned you guys I'll be using names if possible in the first post, so I'm sorry about that. And you don't have to give me your real names either, I only used your screen names.

• Brohoof 1

You'll be using our screen names? In that case, I definitely want in on this:

The fandom has done a few positive things for me that fall into different strains. The biggest being the ability to meet and talk to other people passionate about something that I enjoy and branching off from there into friendships. I've formed many close buds that stemmed off from the show, and it feels good to discuss it without having to pipe down around people who aren't as into My Little Pony as I and others. Being able to light up about good characters that I enjoy watching, such as Rainbow Dash, without anyone harshing my mellow is a big positive and puts me into the green rather than the red. A second point is the creativity that it has blossomed within I and others, expanding our minds and allowing us to write stories, produce music, and create animations, whether related to the show or otherwise.

In summary, it has served as a gateway for me to mix in with new circles of friends and inspiration to dabble in the creative side.

-Rainblow Hash (Use this name in the paper)

You'll be using our screen names? In that case, I definitely want in on this:

The fandom has done a few positive things for me that fall into different strains. The biggest being the ability to meet and talk to other people passionate about something that I enjoy and branching off from there into friendships. I've formed many close buds that stemmed off from the show, and it feels good to discuss it without having to pipe down around people who aren't as into My Little Pony as I and others. Being able to light up about good characters that I enjoy watching, such as Rainbow Dash, without anyone harshing my mellow is a big positive and puts me into the green rather than the red. A second point is the creativity that it has blossomed within I and others, expanding our minds and allowing us to write stories, produce music, and create animations, whether related to the show or otherwise.

In summary, it has served as a gateway for me to mix in with new circles of friends and inspiration to dabble in the creative side.

-Rainblow Hash (Use this name in the paper)

Well, I probably won't use this comment word-for-word, it's a bit too long to be a quote. x3 But I'll definitely use it. I'm only 80 words short of the minimum!

• Brohoof 1