Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the show episodes ruin your fanfics?

Rethajni

Hi ponys! i was thinking in this... have you ever feel upset when you write a fanfic and then you feel you MUST go acording to the show?

I mean, for example, When you write a love story of Vinyl and Octavia and then in season 4 Octavia gets a boyfriend?

It happens to me, i made an fanfic of Twilight and Rainbow Dash, and then i see Equestria Girls and i see Twilight with Flash Sentry, and then when i see my fanfic, i feel that it does not worth it (same with my Rarity and applejack love story, i see the episode when spike tells his feelings to Rarity and i think that my story is useless because it won't follow the original story) :( Have you feel something like that?

then i'm thinking to write a love story of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash,suddenly realized that there will be a moment that Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash gonna get a boyfriend in the show and i'm afraid that my work isn't gonna be appreciated by me or the fans because that's gonna be a lie, have you ever feel the same thing when writing a fanfic?

and so i thinking to stop writing shipping fanfics until the show ends. is that wrong?

(it's not about shipping only, but some important things of the characters as well)

A couple of my favorite fics have gotten Jossed by the whole Alicorn Twilight thing, but it hasn't affected my own writings. The only fic I've written so far is actually an alternate ending to an episode that follows a completely different path, so it doesn't really rely on show continuity to begin with.

IMO, as long as a fic tells a good story and is true to the characters, it's allowed to diverge from the show's continuity as much as it deems necessary.

Edited by Mandalore Dash
  • Brohoof 1

If the fan fiction is related to the episode in all aspects except being created by a fan, then it could ruin the fan fiction. Sometimes, it doesn't effect the fan fiction.

Yeah, but my big problem is that i don't feel confortable writing about somethinf that's not really true, perhaps you say "It's a fanFIC, write what you want!" , my issue is that feeling and can't help it! I just want to konw if there's somepony with the same problem and hear your opinions about it

Yeah, but my big problem is that i don't feel confortable writing about somethinf that's not really true, perhaps you say "It's a fanFIC, write what you want!" , my issue is that feeling and can't help it! I just want to konw if there's somepony with the same problem and hear your opinions about it

I say, write what you want. If something has not happened yet and if it's not canon then you should go for it to make it your own imagination.

This is the main reason I keep putting off writing my fanfic. I have an idea for an epic fanfic spinoff series taking place at the same time as FiM, with a cast of OCs. I want it to be filled with continuity nods and expand the background mythology of the show, but I'm absolutely terrified that the upcoming season(s) will completely ruin my carefully constructed fanon.

I'm a big fan of elsewhere fics. What I love most about fanfiction is constructing a story that weaves seamlessly with the canon without disturbing anything, and it's incredibly hard to do when the fic is based a work that isn't finished yet.

Nope. Nothing ruins fanfics for me other than bad writing and that is it. I still see people write fanfics about unicorn Twilight despite her being an alicorn now and I still ship Twidash because it is my favorite ship. Show episodes don't interfere with fanfiction. Write what you want.

I like to think that my fanfictions take place in an alternate reality.  Therefore, it doesn't matter what happens in the real world; it still wouldn't affect that other reality.

example:  In my main headcanon, a human is transformed into a pony and thrust into the world of Equestria where he is taken care of by the mane6, and Pinkie Pie flirts with him.  The characters are pretty much themselves but differ slightly from in the show.  The other five are all adults, but Pinkie Pie is around 16-ish, and I also make her smaller and slightly "meatier" than her friends.  Fluttershy develops feelings for a changeling.  Rainbow Dash has a pegasus friend who invents things for ponies that are already invented in the human world, such as eye glasses and canned drinks.  The thing is, I don't have to say outright that it's an alternate reality, and for the most part, it's still the same Equestria that we all know and love; everypony already knows that there are going to be differences, because it's a fanfiction.  That's kind of the entire point of fanfictions.

Not the ones I write.  I tend to write BG ponies into my fanfics though, so the show events don't usually effect anything that I have going on with my stories. 

It doesn't matter to me that one of my fanfics will be ruined by some episodes. As I wrote a Canterlot Wedding fic as it info had been leaked I thought the Ponyville school had been a church so I wrote it were a church at that time.

Edited by Ulrik Raben

I'm okay with it so far. I didn't start writing my first real fanfic until after I watched every single episode (several times) and Equestria Girls. It's just a tad under 37,000 words in five chapters, and I know it will be totally wrong after the first few minutes of episode one, season four! 

Oh My God, it had better be!

It ain't for the young'uns!

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

They inspire me. My current ambition is to finish my MLP Warhammer 40k crossover. A genuine tries-to-fit-into-the-canon crossover, I had it happen as a consequence of the S3 finale. Then Equestria Girls happened and one of the lessons I wanted to bring in from the fanfic was addressed in the movie, so I had to tweak it a bit to make it fit and altered the end so it'd lead into EG.
By now the fanfic incorporates all the stuff I originally envisioned and doesn't contradict any of the previous canon and accounts for one pony's personality traits with a few theories I haven't seen before.

Will it pan out? Will season 4 wreck it and i end up hating myself because I didn't get it finished before the premier? Maybe, but I'm a big boy and i can handle it :)
It's the fandom interpretations that kill me more than show canon. I have a version of Derpy and Sparkler that works. Fliter and Cloudchaser aren't too big a problem. But writing up Golden Harvest / Carrot Top from scratch? Interpreting the Lyra Bon dynamics? Messing with Scratch and Tavi? Now that's scary for a fic writer.

-Dusk

Not really. I'm coming into this fandom from other places like Doctor Who where the 'canon' within the show itself reached a point of nonsensicality and self-referential conflict that the fandom had to change how they dealt with the concept back in the late 70's.

Whoovians spend a lot of time trying to make sense of the show's timeline. In order to do that, you are forced to discount several actual broadcast episodes as being non-canon or existing in alternate timelines that have been erased by other events within the show.

Because of that 'training', I approach MLP:FiM in a completely different way than a lot of bronies. I'm not concerned if the show disagrees with the comics, the books, or the fan-created content. I pick the bits that entertain me, and work to try to reconcile the largest amount of content as I can to build the largest 'world' possible. 

I don't know why people get upset about their fanfiction when the canon universe ruins it.

First off all fanfiction are supposedly all different universes where you make the characters go through different situations that you find interesting. Its your OWN universe per sae so you can do anything with them......

Secondly with the whole shipping fiasco; it's the same thing. It's no wonder why episodes like Hearts and Hooves Day get get negative criticism because of the possible ruined relationship between Big Mac and Fluttershy. Just get over it and stick with your own story.

Besides the whole point of writing fan fiction is to gain satisfaction from creating something. It's even better when other people like it as well so don't let a little canon issue with the official series ruin it for you.

Nah episodes don't really ruin my fanfics 

It's  because of how me and my older sister set up our fanfics
This might sound a bit far fetched but we write as episodes go on with a headcannon that the ponies are getting filmed on a set fort he episodes kind of like Who Framed Roger Rabbit. So any event in the show that could potentially ruin our headcannons, we shrug it off  and make a joke out of it.

• 7 years later...

They ruined the background characters for sure! We had all the rights to use those (I think), so when the official changes were made to make bonbon a spy, and rename Derpy into Muffins, destroyed everything! :Pharynx:

Only if you try to work within cannon and expand upon what isn't so detailed. 

For example, my bat pony fics will need to be reworked now that Hollow Shades is just a cursed set of ruins rather than home of the bat pones as had been theorized by fans for years.

It ruined a couple of my favourite fics (particularly Background Pony). Some fics build really deep and interesting lore and then show ruins it with not-so-deep and not-so-interesting canon. I don't blame the show, it's just my opinion

• Brohoof 1