gaming Your top 5 Zelda games?

Champion RD92

1. Twilight Princess

2. Ocarina of Time

3. N/A

4. N/A

5. N/A

I haven't played any other Zelda games

Twilight Princess was pretty good I guess, got a little boring at times, loved the atmosphere though 

I barely played Ocarina of Time on the Wii and disliked it.

1: A Link to the Past
This game is what all true Zelda games strive for. Not only is it by far and away my favorite Zelda game, it's pretty well got the spot locked down for my favorite game of all time. It's as close to perfection as a Zelda game comes. I've played through it more times than I can count, and even have a file where I beat the game after getting all the heart pieces and all the items without dying or quitting the game once. A nice fully loaded Link beside the number 0 was my reward. Yes, this game IS Zelda. Immaculate.

2: Ocarina of Time
Not much can be said that hasn't already been said about OoT. And yeah it's somewhat of a 3d re-imagining of alttp but that's what makes it great. It stays true to the form that makes Zelda what it is while being innovative enough to stand out on it's own. It's got exactly what I look for in a Zelda game, and definitely has the feel of an instant classic, and for good reason: It is one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok... so... after that, nearly every other Zelda game has a bit of a "Here we go again" moment. Example: For Twilight Princess it happened for me while watching the trailer "Oh wow this looks awesome! I'm so exci- ...did he just turn into a wolf? ..... SON OF A BI-"

(Btw... dude... Twilight Princess.... Princess Twilight, I totally just noticed that!.... And both of em are something amazingly great and awesome with a slight tinge of "wtf why would you-". Just to be clear though I am totally fine with Alicorn Twilight and don't think it'll ruin the series at all, but still..did they have to make her taller I mean c-...er... yeah Zelda games, focus!! Ok, aaaaanyway...)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3: Majora's Mask
Oh look! It's OoT's crazy brother who ate the brown acid at Woodstock. In a lot of ways I actually like this game more than OoT. The only reason it gets number 3 as opposed to number 2 is it deviates from the Zelda formula so much. And variety is a good thing, but do I ever enjoy that Zelda formula. Mmm... formula.

4: Twilight Princess
A really good game, but like I stated above, I could probably do without the whole wolf business. At the very least they shouldn't have made us hunt all those bugs in wolf form before we got to explore the land as a human. Still a very solid game and while it's not quite hitting the magic of alttp and oot, it comes pretty close.

5: Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
I have to put this one on here. It was the first Zelda game I ever played. Sure it kinda sucks and if you die you lose all your xp so right at the start you have to grind endlessly until you reach a point where leveling doesn't matter as much, and the graphics suck, and to find Error you have to walk back and forth over every single square of a non-descript forest they didn't mention, all the while wondering if they really meant "ERROR:Quest text not found"... but man, staying up allllll night playing this game, and getting in crap from my dad at 4 in the morning when I snuck out into the living room to play has GOT to count for something. Good times.

Edited by TheMangoPony
  • Brohoof 2

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

2.The  Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

• Brohoof 1

1/2. Wind Waker and Skyward Sword battle for my top spot. 

Skward Sword: Skyward sword was a game I wasn't really excited to play until it came out. When I did open that box it took me on an adventure and told me a story the brought out a feeling I hadn't felt since first completing Ocarina. I want to highlight the characters first and foremost. Skyward Sword did something in the first 20 mins that most Zelda games didn't do til close to the end of the game for me. They made me like Zelda and feel like I had a real connection to her. That whole first part of the game introduces you to Zelda and shows her relationship with you. So when Zelda was taken away I actually felt motivated to save her, not just because the game was fun but because I like her as a character. Then you have Groose who became one of my favorite characters in the Zelda franchise if not just game characters in general. Hes not just your typical bully antagonist, it becomes clear that he actually cares for Zelda. Its fairly obvious from the start that he puts on a confident front that hides his underlying insecurities. At the same time it seems he believes in the front as he believes he is the best one to save Zelda. Seeing his character progress through the game was a great breath of fresh air. Then there is the motion controls. I loved them. Aiming is almost always more intuitive and more precise with motion controls and it is true here. The bow has never felt better to me than in this game. The whole directional based combat system made every battle with an enemy feel like an actual battle and puzzle at the same time. The world though smaller and more directed than most zelda games is beautiful and populated with interesting characters and creatures alike. The visual style was also fantastic using this very painted look which was used to great effect. It almost seemed to bridge the gap between TP and Wind Waker. 

Wind Waker: To this day I don't think there has been a game that has actually made me feel as if I was on an adventure more than the Wind Waker did. Sailing the Ocean was an absolute delight. The act of doing so was fun it felt like I was exploring a world seeing that little blot on the horizon grow until I could see the details of the land mass I was to arrive at. Controlling the directing of the wind to sail to locations referencing the map it just felt so....good. Then of course there's the visuals which initially met with scorn even kind by me at first. However when I played I really liked them. Characters were expressive, cute and just overall well designed. The style looked nice and to a large extent was future proof. Whilst its brother games showed their age Wind Waker looked great even to this day. It was one of the first 3D games that didn't need this realistic look to claim it was good looking. I also felt the characters were great in Wind Waker, expressive cute and interesting. I loved that Link had a proper relatable reason for going on his journey. I'm not as fresh on Wind Waker so Ill see if it over take Skyward Sword when Wind Waker HD is released. 

3.Ocarina of Time: Come you knew it would be here and surprise, surprise it is. Ocarina of Time was among those first experiences I had of completing a game. It was just this great feeling going all the way through and just experiencing all it had. Ocarina of Time was a huge step in gaming at the time. It was really the first 3D game(at least to my memory) that just gave you an entire world to roam. It felt so liberating and exciting. Though I feel the characters fall short of future Zelda Titles the game managed to make you feel attached to the world. Everything was warm and bright and just fun to look at. You got used to and loved the town square and the ranch ect. So when adult link emerges and the town square is a hellish nightmare it really had an emotional effect. In Skyward Sword I wanted to save that world because I loved the characters, but in OOT I wanted to save the world because I had come to love that world and seeing it ravaged was just extra motivation. 

4.Twilight Princess: Weirdly enough this was the Zelda game I always wanted buts its the one that I have completed that I feel is least compelling. Let me just get my problems with it out of the way. The world in TP is probably the largest in any Zelda game, but also probably the most sparsely populated. Even in the day cycle the world felt odd and even creepy as there was no one about, even the monsters seemed kinda thinly spread. There was also the weird world design choices at some points in the game. Why the hell does the desert village rely on gorons to get to certain places? Why not use ladders? The motivation for going on an adventure was also something that bothered m, not from a logical standpoint but a personal one. I hated those kids, just really disliked them. Most of them seemed like jerks. Im expected to be motivated to save them? 

Well on to the good. The world is beautiful though it shows its age more. I really liked the idea of freeing the sections of the world from this dark magic. It gave you this visual sense of progress and accomplishment. Despite the kids there are some great characters here Midna being prime among them. She sarcastic, condescending, and funny. Zelda felt like she was in the fray a lot more as well this time. Its not that she hasnt been before but a lot of those times you didnt know she was Zelda until late in the game. In TP right away you know its her and what she's been through. TP also had this really great darkness to it, there were some really disturbing scenes to see. Then there's just the whole concept of the Twilight realm placing people in what can only be described as limbo state. In other Zelda games evil is either returning or on the rise, in TP its pretty much already taken over from the beginning. So TP is a great game but it doesnt quite make it into my top three. 

5. Majora's Mask: Tevhe only reason this isnt in my no 4 slot is because I never completed it. I played it but as a kid it was hard for me to get into . The atmosphere of the game clashed to much with what /i knew from Ocarina. However now I see themes of greatness and a very worthy sequel. The whole three day clock ticking down and the looming moon drawing ever closer. A whole town haunted by the twisted souls of the dead. Alien abductions which leave characters behaving in drastically different ways. Skull kid and the mask itself. When analyzed Majora's Mask is nothing short of an epic, exciting, and horrifying tale of the clash between good and evil and life and death.

• Brohoof 1

• Ocarina of Time
  • Wind Waker
  • Majora Mask
  • Twilight Princess
  • Link's Awakening

I didn't exactly like Link's Awakening that much, even though I always read the controls before I play a game.

• Brohoof 1

1. Wind Waker (first zelda game I ever played)

2. Majoras Mask (love the darker tone)

3. Minish Cap (Another Celda, how could I not love it ;))

4. A link to the Past (A blueprint for all the Zeldas to come)

5. Twilight Princess (Deepest item collection in the series)

• 3 years later...

Oh, as a fan of the Zelda games, I think I should share my list.

5- Skyward sword: Good music, Good boss fights, and the plot was somewhat good, but I find it to be stuck to a lienier formula.

4- The Legend Of Zelda: The game that started it all.

3-Tri-Force Heros: A good idea for a multiplayer game, requiring co-operation. It can be fun at times, but you can't finish a stage if someone disconnects.

2- A Link Between Worlds: After years of games with lienier plots, A Link Between Worlds lets you do dungeons in any order. This is an example of what a Zelda game should be; an adventure, not a tour.

1- Spirit tracks: I can't help feeling a love for this game, as it was my first Zelda game. The music is oh so good; some of the best in in series. Having Zelda as a companion is a fresh change, and the Phantom puzzles are quite challenging and fun.

I'm not a big fan of the 3D Zelda games.

• Brohoof 1

Oh boyo, I love Zelda!

1. Ocarina of Time: First one I ever saw. Best thing a kid could ever see.

2. Majora's Mask: I was scared to play it as a kid, so I got my brother to do it for me

3. Wind Waker: Played it with my brother as a kid

4. Twilight Princess: First Zelda game I played as a teen

5. Skyward Sword: I got it for my b-day a few years back so of course I love it!

Sheesh, hardly any mention of Link's Awakening >_>

1) A Link to the Past

2) Link's Awakening

3) Twilight Princess

4) Windwaker

5) A tie between Majora's Mask and Minish Cap

Also, this is probably major Zelda fan heresy, but I didn't care for the first game

Whelp, this list changed a lot

1) A Link to the Past

2) Breath of the Wild

3) Link's Awakening

4) Twilight Princess

5) Ocarina of Time

• Brohoof 1

So my list would be

1,Majora's Mask I like the dark atmosphere I mean yeah you only get 3 days, but you also get to slow down time giving you more time to accomplish what you need and you can drop your money off at the bank so you won't lose it.

2. Ocarina of Time of course this was going to be on my list the only thing I did not like was how slow kid Link moved trying to get to each temple without Epona took so long lol, but still amazing game.

3.Twilight Princess I love the dark atmosphere of the game and they gave Link emotions now everybody can feel the feels and you all know you started to cry when Link was sad when Ilia had amnesia and had no idea who he was.

4. Breath of the Wild sure this game took a risky leap, but I like the game I am still currently playing it doing some side quests before I take on Ganondorf and the characters are amazing I love their personalities I have the Wii U version and I really see no differences the only difference is I can play it without my system suddenly breaking.

5.Skyward Sword I did hate that you had to run everywhere because Link was kind of slow, but that aside I liked the game especially the boss fights.

Only counting ones I've played.

1. Majora's Mask (All versions)
  2. Ocarina of Time (All versions)
  3. Wind Waker (NGC version)
  4. Spirit Tracks
  5. Twilight Princess (NGC version)
Edited by Snowflake Frostflame

• 1 month later...

Having played to at least near-completion all except The Legend of Zelda, The Adventure of Link, Four Swords, and Tri Force Heroes: 

#1 - The Wind Waker

#2 - A Link to the Past

#3 - Twilight Princess

#4 - Skyward Sword

#5 - The Minish Cap

(Breath of the Wild would be #8 on the ranking I keep in my head.)

• Brohoof 1

I've only ever completed 5 games. So.

5. Phantom Hourglass

4. A Link to the Past

3. Skyward Sword

2. Ocarina of Time

1. Majora's Mask

• Brohoof 1

1.Majoras mask - Very memorable characters and a great  deep story. I also love the bit of obscure storyline with the whole the terminians favoring their giants instead of the 3 goddesses. Now some may say its not true or its just a theory but the symbolism for it is all over the place. Another favorite thing of mine is how they have hylian in spots that can be translated. One of my favorites is in the Marine research lab where it has two turtle shells and the labels underneath them translate into younger brother and older brother. If anyone is interesting I will post the theory here https://zeldauniverse.net/2006/11/03/the-stone-tower-why-termina-was-doomed/

2.Ocarina Of Time -  It is the first zelda game I actually got to play. It is second on my list because I feel like the story wasn't as good as majoras mask but I still love it none the less. I just feel majoras mask was more polished then this since this was nintendos first attempt at a 3d zelda. But I love pretty much everything about it and I try to beat it once a year just wish the story was alittle better.  I did really love the shadow temple and how it showed the dark past of hyrule . Especially the part that deals with Bongo Bongo and how the pictures on the walls  were his severed hands holding up his head. This was the game that started my fascination with translating the hylian language  from the games and I still own my original gold cartridge that has red blood instead of green.

3. Twilight Princess -  Like my top choice I love the dark atmosphere and expansive story.  The boss battles were alot of fun and the temples really made you think If you weren't using the guidebook. My favorite part would have to be is when you have to get the mirror shard from the Yeti's mansion. My brother and I would always kinda couldn't help but laugh at how the male yeti would wear a horse saddle as a hat and honk randomly. Also it's interesting since it seems like the mansion has an interesting history that is never really delved into unfortunately.

4.Skyward Sword -  I know this game gets alot of hate but I still love it. As a history nerd it's interesting seeing how everything started but It still leaves some questions that go unanswered. The loftwings were really fun to ride on and the Groose theme can go with so many things. Also the final boss fight was epic.

5.Breath of The wild - Saw a recent play through of it by living vicariously through my cousin lol. I like how you can explore everywhere and there are so many interesting ruins and easter eggs that allude to past games. The ending was a tad disappointing since waiting for the DLC maybe make it more interesting.

1. Breath of wild (seriously this is a beautifully crafted game)
  2. Twilight princess (Wolf link was so fun to play as! And Midna was quite a treat as a companion as apposed to a certain fairy)
  3. Skyward sword (save the whole "The motion controls sucked" bit for someone who cares)
  4. Hyrule Warrior (Nice to see the series portrayed a entirely different way)
  5. Majora's mask (playing as a Zora was cool!)

Runner Up: Ocarina of Time (I just didn't get that into the game sorry)

• 1 year later...

1: Zelda 2 (it's not a bad game. It may be hard and not like any other zelda game but it's still really REALLY good. Maybe I'm just biased because it was my first or 2nd zelda game.)

2: Zelda Alttp (obvious reasons)

3: Majora's mask(I like it better than OOT because of the masks. Don't @ me )

4: (This one is a tie) Breath of the wild (Loved the game but didn't like the stuff breaking all the time.)

4: OOT (Loved the game but it took me a guide to find out how to get the slingshot. Back then I was really bad at the game)

5-Wind Waker: that game has some big annoyances, namely the navigation, and the triforce hunt. Other than that, the game aged far better than OOT in visuals and gameplay. 

4-Spirit Tracks: PH was not necessary better than WW, but it brought other things WW lacked and save for the Ocean King Temple, was a sequel that rivals WW. Spirit Tracks is better than PH in every single aspect, which only drawback would be how little attractive the game is if you didn’t love PH

3-A rather cliche to post this, but ALTTP is one of the best games in the franchise. Despite being primitive in comparison to many contemporaries, this game aged far better than most. It also offers a great challenge that don’t treat you like a n00b and incentive exploration on top of the main path, as some out of the way items aren’t so optional (right Ice Rod :dash:?)

2-Majora’s Mask sat on the throne of my favorite Zelda for years. I believe I’ve spoken why I love this game so much: has a mechanic that has been rarely used, a smart reuse of OOT assets, a more immersive and intimate world and characters, and speaking of the characters, they feel very alive and you get genuine love for them, enough to make saving Termina a life goal. Very few fictional works made me feel so attached to them, ponies being another :fluttershy:

1- Breath of the GODDAMN WILD. It was the fresh air the franchise desperately needed. It has a big world, which while a bit empty in terms of population, it has no shortage of stuff to do. This game takes forever to complete because you wanna seek and discover all it’s secrets, and you’d be hard pressed to not find one every minute or so. Not only it stand out in an open world-over saturated market, but it revived hope in a franchise that was stuck on it’s own vices of always trying to repeat the badly aged formula of OOT :mlp_yeehaa: