Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Unanswered Pony Questions

NocturnalTwilight

Hey, Bros.

Had a pretty good idea (so I hope) I got from a different forum, so I thought I'd give it a try!

Basically, if you have some pony-related question that's short and simple, just ask it here. Instead of making a whole topic to ask (Example) what kind of animals is Discord made of, you could just ask here and another member could stop by and answer if he/she knew it. Maybe throw a little discussion or debating in there and there you go! I hope this makes sense ^^"

I'll go ahead and start us off!

What is Equestria? Is it the planet's name or just a part of it?

What does Derpy's Cutie Mark Mean?

What trait of personality does the Element of Magic represent? (As the other elements are part of the Ponies' personalities)

• Brohoof 1

When will we see the Mane 6 travel around to other parts of Equestria besides the parts they already been to?

Are there other forms of magic that Twilight will perform?

When you ascend, do you learn anything else that you may need in your future?

Twilight at one point says Equestria is the entire world (When up against Discord), but the official map of Equestria indicates there are places beyond it, to the east, west, and south at least. I lean towards the map being correct and Equestria is a country, and Twilight was being facetious.

What trait of personality does the Element of Magic represent? (As the other elements are part of the Ponies' personalities)

Twilight is the one who called it the 'Element of Magic', as it was unnamed by the source book she was using to name the others. Celestia had different names for all of them in the Magical Mystery Cure episode, including 'Leadership' instead of Magic. However, there's one school of thought that the title 'Friendship is Magic' is actually literal rather than figurative, and the Element of Magic is actually the Element of Friendship.

Does the princesses have access to knowledge that others don't know like presidents?

I'd be surprised if they didn't. More because Celestia at least has been around for more than a thousand years, so I figure she's accumulated massive amounts of info that may or may not be useful. Huh. I wonder if she keeps a diary?

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 4

1. I'm certain Equestria is the name of the large land mass we know, which I guess we could call a continent. If you look at the map of Equestria, you'll notice on the right it says "Yonder to Griffons". What exactly is this? Combined with the fact that Celestia said that when she and Luna noticed how miserable Earth, Unicorn and Pegasi ponies (no mention of other sentient creatures) were when Discord ruled, and how the three groups of ponies tried to name the newly discovered land (not planet) in the past, I believe Equestria is just the name of a large continent.

Map

Map_of_Equestria_online_version_2012-08.

2. Derpy's cutie mark could mean a few things. Some say it's just bubbles, which could mean a playfulness or simpleness, others say it could be bubble-wrap considering we did see here working for a delivering company when Twilight was spying on Pinkie Pie and get owned with merchandise in the sky. I'm going with the bubble-wrap. It seems like delivering is what she is meant to do, but is a clutz when it comes to doing her job.

3. Perhaps the Element of Magic might be clarity or enlightenment. Twilight knew nothing about friendship, and it was only after spending time with her now friends did she understand the importance of having friends and what it could mean to her in life. That "spark" could be what she represents, which could be just "magic" itself. There's just something special about having friends who you just enjoy spending time with, that feeling of peace and harmony (or insanity and chaos, whatever your friends).

Does the princesses have access to knowledge that others don't know like presidents?

4. I would also assume some information is kept hidden or is not just immediately given out to everyone for security and to control mass hysteria. How many ponies knew about Sombra, the Crystal Empire, or even that mirror in EQG (not cannon but none the less) aside from the protectors of Equestria, the Mane 6? It might be available to everyone, but nobody's asking because they might have little to no knowledge about it aside from those directly affected by it immediately. 

How exactly did Celestia and Luna beat Discord?

5. Certain Celestia and Luna simply used the Elements of Hamony to beat Discord, turning him to stone. Before Luna went all "F#@k the day", they were the wielders of the elements (probably because they both were Alicorns, being powerful and knowledgeable enough to use it with only two ponies). If you mean the actual fight, that's a good question. Might have been as (sorta) anti-climatic as the current fight, with just shooting a rainbow and ending the day.

Sauce: MLP Wiki, and my own guesstimates

• Brohoof 2

Does Twilight cutie mark mean her (the big star) and her friends (the other five) because of her connection with them in the cutie mark chronicles?

Twilight's Cutie Mark represents her amazing skill in Magic, I'm pretty sure that's putting it boldly. Since she got her Cutie Mark when she discovered how good she is at it.

Why was Twilight Sparkle so unaware that she was being prepared for becoming royalty until it actually happened?

Well, I guess it's because her main goal before then was impressing Celestia, doing everything she could to pass every test that was given to her. I'm sure it's not every day one Pony would think, "I bet today's the day I'll become an Alicorn", haha. It was probably unexpected and such, being such a high honor to one little lovable Pony :3

Why are some of the main six's parents never shown?

I've wondered this too, we haven't seen much of them. Mostly Twilight's parents, but I guess that's because the show's revolved around her. Also, we've recently seen Rainbow Dash's Father, and Rarity's parents. It's sadly assumed that Applejack's parents are well...passed, I don't know about Fluttershy's Parents though. Oh! And we've seen Pinkie Pie's parents. I assume you mean why they aren't shown more often, right? Well, I guess because the show is more focused on the Mane 6 than other Ponies. It's strange how they mention them, though. Hope that answered your question!

• Brohoof 1

I wonder if we'll ever see Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie's parents or even Rainbow Dash's for that matter, I know we won't see Applejack's since it's stated her parents passed away, still wanna see more of Twilight's parents too, since we only see them 2 or 3 times.

• Brohoof 1

I was wondering how specifically pegasai control the weather. It's explained how the pegasai create the weather, but not quite how they actually implement it into the atmosphere. Any actual showing of this in show is rough and doesn't give very in-detail depth about the inner workings of weather control.

What did Luna do those 1,000 years on the moon? Was it kinda like being frozen in a block of ice and she couldn't tell time was passing?

Did Celestia and Luna have good friends before they became Alicorn Princesses? And if they did, did the friends just die off with Celestia and Luna being stuck there having to make new friends?

Where did Celestia and Luna come from in the first place?

Is Discord the incarnation of Chaos, or a powerful being who enjoys chaos?

Does Equestria have a system of crime and punishment? We see Twilight worried about dungeons and banishment (or combinations thereof), so these principles exist, but are they implemented? If not, how are the ponies so familiar with these concepts? As far as laws, do ponies co-exist so well that they don't need laws, or are they afraid of breaking the law?

Is Pinkie Pie the only pony who knows about us, or does everypony know and prefer not breaking the fourth wall?

1. How is it that Celestia is 1000 years old and has never seen or heard of a parasprite?

2.Twilight often worries about not having enough time for sceduling, but does she schedule worry time?

3. How long is the train ride from Ponyville to Canterlot? Appaloosa? Crystal Empire?

4. Are crystal ponies and offshoot of earth ponies or a whole separate race?

5. Will we see more bat ponies?

6. Where do changelings come from? Are they mammals or insects?

7. Will they ever show Vinyl and Octavia in the same scene together?

Have you seen the video "Project Thundercloud" ? It gives an explanation that I find interesting : it says that her cutie mark represent both luck (7 bubbles) and fragility (well, bubbles...). 

1. How is it that Celestia is 1000 years old and has never seen or heard of a parasprite?

2.Twilight often worries about not having enough time for sceduling, but does she schedule worry time?

3. How long is the train ride from Ponyville to Canterlot? Appaloosa? Crystal Empire?

4. Are crystal ponies and offshoot of earth ponies or a whole separate race?

5. Will we see more bat ponies?

6. Where do changelings come from? Are they mammals or insects?

7. Will they ever show Vinyl and Octavia in the same scene together?

I'm pretty sure shes heard of them but she wanted to "test" Twilight and see if she could solve it because in the end she did learn to listen to her friends more.

I wonder if we'll ever see Fluttershy or Pinkie Pie's parents or even Rainbow Dash's for that matter, I know we won't see Applejack's since it's stated her parents passed away, still wanna see more of Twilight's parents too, since we only see them 2 or 3 times.

We have seen Pinkie Pie's parents, and we do know that at least her father is still alive (because Trixie mentioned that she had to work for him after being run out of Ponyville the first time she faced Twilight Sparkle).

In the episode "Games Ponies Play" we saw filly Rainbow Dash riding on the shoulders of a rainbow-maned stallion who may possibly have been her father, although some say he might also have been her brother.  -shrugs-

I'm pretty it never stated in the show that AJ's parents are dead.  Just because it doesn't show them doesn't mean they're dead; they could just be really irresponsible parents off exploring the world and leaving their kids in the care of Granny.  (I do agree that they probably are dead, but still...  they don't say that in the show, because it's a kids' show, and dead parents are kind of a disturbing subject for kids.)

Edited by Rainshine

I'm pretty it never stated in the show that AJ's parents are dead.  Just because it doesn't show them doesn't mean they're dead; they could just be really irresponsible parents off exploring the world and leaving their kids in the care of Granny.  (I do agree that they probably are dead, but still...  they don't say that in the show, because it's a kids' show, and dead parents are kind of a disturbing subject for kids.)

They really are dead. Remember the shooting stars in Apple Family Reunion?

640px-S3E08_Applejack_Shooting_Stars.png

How often do you see TWO of them together? These shooting stars are a symbol of AJ's deceased parents. The show has never explicitly stated that her parents are dead, but this kind of subtlety certainly implies it.

Will a tweet from one of the show's storyboard artists convince you that they are dead?

https://twitter.com/TheRealSibsy/status/282581589479792641

And as a side note, even though Lauren Faust no longer works on the show, she has stated more than once that she intended for AJ's parents to be dead. The writing team is honoring her vision on this one.

It amazes me that some people still don't know about Applejack's parents being dead, but I don't mind because it proves that the subtle techniques work well, and I enjoy pointing this stuff out. I think some added insight into what happened to her parents, who they were, and what impact they left on the rest of the family would be a huge character builder for Applejack. That would definitely be my unanswered question for this topic. What happened to her parents?

They really are dead. Remember the shooting stars in Apple Family Reunion?

img-1841769-1-640px-S3E08_Applejack_Shoo

How often do you see TWO of them together? These shooting stars are a symbol of AJ's deceased parents. The show has never explicitly stated that her parents are dead, but this kind of subtlety certainly implies it.

Will a tweet from one of the show's storyboard artists convince you that they are dead?

https://twitter.com/TheRealSibsy/status/282581589479792641

And as a side note, even though Lauren Faust no longer works on the show, she has stated more than once that she intended for AJ's parents to be dead. The writing team is honoring her vision on this one.

It amazes me that some people still don't know about Applejack's parents being dead, but I don't mind because it proves that the subtle techniques work well, and I enjoy pointing this stuff out. I think some added insight into what happened to her parents, who they were, and what impact they left on the rest of the family would be a huge character builder for Applejack. That would definitely be my unanswered question for this topic. What happened to her parents?

Oh yeah, I know it's implied that they are dead.  It just isn't explicitly stated, like the person to whom I was replying said it did.

I would like to know what happened to them too, but since it might be too disturbing for young children, I doubt they would actually say it in the show.  Maybe one of the show creators will release some kind of back story for the more mature fans; that would be pretty cool, I think.  

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to ask forever ago, I LOVED Equestria Girls, but there was 1 part I didn't get. Whenever Twilight first meets Pinkie Pie, she (Pinkie Pie) mentions something about another Twilight that looks exactly like her with a dog named Spike?

This..confuses me to an uncomfortable level.

Let me see if I can find a video to shed more light on the subject, I appreciate the help in advance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mI1pz5xYlc&feature=youtu.be&t=54s

Edited by NocturnalTwilight

I meant to ask forever ago, I LOVED Equestria Girls, but there was 1 part I didn't get. Whenever Twilight first meets Pinkie Pie, she (Pinkie Pie) mentions something about another Twilight that looks exactly like her with a dog named Spike?

This..confuses me to an uncomfortable level.

Let me see if I can find a video to shed more light on the subject, I appreciate the help in advance!

In this alternate universe, all the various ponies seem to have humanized analogues. They are not the same characters, but are sufficiently similar. Everyone except for Twilight (and Sunset for that matter). With this scene the writers are using Pinkie to imply that there *is* a humanized Twilight already in this universe, she's just far enough away that 'our' Twilight isn't going have to deal with the problem of meeting herself.

One idea that I've seen posited is that because Sunset Shimmer came through the mirror, she took the niche that the human Twilight was supposed to fill. The universe shifted accordingly so that human Twilight didn't move to Canterlot High because there was no 'space' there anymore for her. Sunset didn't behave accordingly, so history didn't play out the way it was supposed to. This is all based on the idea of 'destiny' being localized, and anything originating outside of the 'destinized' area (Sunset Shimmer, for example) can mess with the plan.

• Brohoof 1