Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did Bronydom start?

Never2muchpinkie

I only became a brony a few months ago, well after season three ended and anxiously awaiting the fourth. But how did it all begin? I saw tons of pony videos in related videos in youtube, and the first one I watched was one making fun of cloppers. Little by little I watched little clips of single lines, then I eventually moved to episodes and I haven't looked back. But it's hard to imagine this happening before bronydom became a thing. How did a bunch of guys willingly watch this and turn it into a fandom at the start?

• Brohoof 1

Well, if I remember correctly, and this may be incorrect, so don't quote me on it, but... I do believe for some weird ass reason, the Brony fandom started on 4chan. It started as a joke with some users saying things like "mods are asleep, post ponies!" and it went on from there.

Well, if I remember correctly, and this may be incorrect, so don't quote me on it, but... I do believe for some weird ass reason, the Brony fandom started on 4chan. It started as a joke with some users saying things like "mods are asleep, post ponies!" and it went on from there.

Actually I think the "mods are asleep, post ponies" thing started because Moderators were banning people on 4chan because of posting ponies. So what bronies did on 4chan was post ponies, while the mods were asleep.

• Brohoof 2

I did a research paper on the brony fandom about a year back, and it apparently started as troll jokes on 4chan that hoped to get people to watch the show so that they could be laughed at. People fell for it and started to watch the show, and the rest is history. A friend of mine knew a guy who had caps of the original 4chan posts, which I was able to get a hold of and read through, but I unfortunately deleted them from my computer.

Edited by Dinos4Ever

Swift got the one side of the brony fandom's start. But I have to say that's not it's only reason. After 4chan, I believe a want for common bond and fellowship with other fans made the fandom come to rise, as does every fandom does respectively. 

Brony, is a slang term for a male that watches the show: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, nothing more, nothing less. But once you realize the fact that men watch a show like MLP. You understand the fact that these men take the lessons from the show to heart. So you have all these communities form and pop out of no where and it's normally a heart harming experience.

Though you do get those odd ones that go over board on what they think is right. Sometimes you get the ones that are on hype and take something from a Brony commentary on a post on some tumblur such as: Love & Tolerate. (That term is actually meant to be used on blogs or vlogs from a person commenting on the post. With what kind of attitude god only knows. Not a line made by Bronies.)

Still till this day we all enjoy each others company and share a common interest, or bond if you will. Poneh should poneh poneh~

EDIT: Bronies later became apparent that genders no longer mattered in what one's interest is, so Brony slang term is not only males now, but females too.

- Maxos

Edited by Maxos
  • Brohoof 1

As people have already stated, it started on 4Chan. There was a mixture of people watching it "ironically", and people watching it with genuine interest.

A lot of the interest sparked after a couple of very negative articles were written about the show by authors who had barely even watched it. One claimed that it was the end of the creator-driven cartoon era, whilst another claimed that it was sexist, racist, and homophobic. People wanted to find out what the big deal was, watched a few episodes, and discovered that it was rather good.

And then the great 4Chan Pony Wars begun.

oh_god_why_guy_rage_face_meme_poster-rc3

But I won't touch that.

As for the term "Brony", there's a bit of a dispute on how it originated. Some people argue that it's formed out of "bro" (slang word that originated from "brother"), and "pony". Others argue that it's /b/+pony=Brony. /b/ being the main message board on 4Chan where the fandom begun (alongside /c/).

Personally, I argue that it's both.

There was another term floating around at the time for the fans on the /c/ boards: "Colts", but that term died before the great 4Chan Pony Exodus.

But I won't touch that. 

Edited by Hansel

Wait... 4chan banned usred from posting things cause of ponies? that's weird

They were dark times.

There were some many mlp discussions appearing, so many flame wars, and so much spamming, I don't really blame them. It's the only topic that's ever been banned from 4Chan, which is ironic when you think about it.

It originally started on 4chan, People started posting ponies on the site. So Mods started to block it, during a somewhat pony civil war Bronies would post. Mods are asleep Post Ponies. From my knowledge this got a lot of attention so more bronies started popping up. Forming the sites such as Equestria Daily and BroNYCon. If you would like to know more about the subject. Look at Know your meme's video about it. :)

If I recall correctly, a bunch of 4chan users started watching it ironically, so they could poke fun at it, but some people were legitimately attracted to the show after seeing the first episode. 

This led to more and more people watching until it got to the point that 4chan was being overwhelmed by pony related posts, both by spammers and by people who were enthusiastic about watching the show. 
These posts were getting most users really angry, especially those folks over at /b/, so there was this boardwide dislike of pony posts, until it got to the point that mods were banning the IP's of users that even mentioned the word 'pony'.

However, most of these early Bronies could get around the IP blocks, seeing as the fandom as a whole is pretty good with technology and computers, and would post ponies anyway, hence the "Mods are asleep. Post ponies" meme. 
This then led to what became known as the Pony Wars, where fans would continue evading IP bans and posting ponies, while mods tried to ban them all. After a while, a lot of Bronies left 4chan, seeing as they were pretty much unwanted, and started their own websites, ponychan being an example. 

It was stopped by none other than m00t, who created the /mlp/ board and directed everybody to keep all the MLP posts on that board and that board ONLY. 
It could be argued though that the board serves as a means to contain Bronies and pony posts, as to prevent spreading to other parts of 4chan which was common when it all began. 

.... And that's how Equestria was made!  :lol:

Edited by Apocalyptic_Unicorn

Bronydom started when someone posted about the show on one of the boards, which is /v/.

Then, the moderators were so fed up with it, they banned any user that posted ponies.

Then that's how the "mods are asleep; post ponies!" meme formed.

In early 2012, moot made a board for bronies, which is the board we know today. /mlp/.

So, here it is the first post ever about FiM (SFW compliant). That thread is basically where everything started... We can thank "The Zam" for all this

I've never seen this before.. This is so cool, thank you very much for sharing. It's really cool looking back to the beginning of the fandom. 

Bad time to mention I'm overly enthusiastic to even just minor history?

• Brohoof 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. It was very informative. It just seemed mindblowing to me that so many guys would admit to liking ponies made for 8 year old girls that it could create a fanbase. CUPCAKES FOR EVERYONE! On a side note, has anyone seen Rainbow Dash? ^_^