Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ponies Wearing Glasses

cuteycindyhoney

@cuteycindyhoney, just letting you know that I've moved your thread to Show Discussion since it's talking about how ponies with glasses are portrayed in the show, and how we feel about that and such :).

Thanks Dash. I had thought I picked the right place for the thread, but I guess not. Oh well. No harm done! I secretly really like Silver Spoon. I think that if the CMC can ever get her out from under Diamond Tiara's hoof, she could end up being a friend.

Oh, and this is now firmly locked in my headcanon!

post-375-0-82527900-1378793675_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I secretly really like Silver Spoon. I think that if the CMC can ever get her out from under Diamond Tiara's hoof, she could end up being a friend.

I've always liked Silver Spoon as well :) But after seeing the Comicon S4 previews, I don't think she's just an innocent sheep that will change sides at some point. Plus her and Diamond Tiara are all eachother has, so I'd hate to break them up :(

As for the actual topic, I have always loved Rarity's work glasses in particular. They look great on her, and it's a very nice touch to include them without even mentioning it. Just... yup, she needs glasses for close up work, perfectly normal.

Silver Spoon is refreshing as well, since most shows would have one of the good guys get glasses and get picked on for it. But here it's one of the bullies who wears them, and again it's just presented as a normal thing and no big deal. Although hers, along with the pearl necklace and gray hair, do kind of make her look like an old lady :P But still cute.

It could still be interesting to do an episode where one of the main characters finds out they need glasses though. Seems like Rainbow or Scootaloo would be the most upset about it, in terms of looking cool, as well as inconvenience if the wind pulls them off when flying/scooting at high speed. Although I guess prescription flight goggles would solve that :) It would be especially emotional for Scootaloo I think, after dealing with her flightlessness issue. Although Rainbow would likely have known about it for a long time already, which adds embarrassment if she's been going around half blind and trying to keep it a secret. And the secret could come out as a result of her reading, to make it even worse.

But I think it's even better to just continue on treating glasses as a non-issue B)

• Brohoof 2

Let's get some stallions all up in this thread, shall we?

Who can forget the fashion sense of Hoity Toity?

post-2257-0-10617100-1378849703_thumb.jpg

Not to mention, monocles. Fancy Pants: like a sir. Fleur approves.

post-2257-0-89917700-1378849690_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I had this avatar before it was cool.

*cough*

For cute overload:

YocebOn.jpg

As for the opinion, I think glasses very much can look great, badass and even sexy, you just have to pick the right glasses and wear then with pride, haha.

• Brohoof 2

This thread needs more AJ. I'd like to see her in some glasses just for fun. :3

I also suffer from vision problems, so I definitely appreciate the fact that the show depicts characters with glasses. It adds another great touch of realism to the show, as well as some variance.

You know, now that I think about it you're right!  And yeah, they do look quite good on the ponies, haha!  As a 'four-eyed guy' I do respect that in the show...

@Sugar Cube:  Good luck finding a picture of AJ in glasses, I can't even get that in a mental picture XD

• Brohoof 1

@SilverQuill: Challenge accepted.

I suppose I'll get off of my lazy flank and do it myself. Applejack in glasses is a go! (After the spoiler tag of course, because I'm so considerate of people who hate dealing with a bunch of images.) ;)

applejack_in_glasses_by_rainbowden-d4rs7

applejack_glasses_by_jcos88-d5pr9q8.png

them_apples_by_texasuberalles-d5gu5vu.jp

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

Defeat admitted  :derp:

Still not an easy mental picture though :P  but I should have known by now, pretty much everything that can be done to the 6 Mane ponies by the brony community has probably been done....

• Brohoof 2

I love ponies in glasses, even before I got mine last winter. Rarity's glasses are adorable and classy, Rainbow's shades accentuate her awesomeness; but let's not forget the ponies who have always worn glasses and never got the credit for their consistent cuteness, such as Photo Finish, Mayor Mare, Twist, and most of all, Silver Spoon.

tumblr_m507n8B2T21rx78iqo1_1280.png

:D

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone
  • Brohoof 1

Ponies in glasses huh...

Well, I'll say that I like Rarity in her glasses, make her look cute and stylish plus I guess it helps her read her designs and the measuring tape better, guess she might have problems without them or something.

Other characters like Twist and Silver spoon look fine in them I guess, and I believe characters like Photo Finish and Hoity Toity are only wearing fashionable sunglasses, or something. :huh:

I want to see tacky glasses. Like, actually canon glasses that were made to look and give the impression of looking nerdy/tacky.

What about this guy?

nerd_pony_by_c_h_loboguerrero_c-d4rxoxg.

He was in that "Putting Your Hoof Down" episode.  Rarity flirted with him to set an example for Fluttershy.

• Brohoof 1

What about this guy?

img-1837081-1-nerd_pony_by_c_h_loboguerr

He was in that "Putting Your Hoof Down" episode.  Rarity flirted with him to set an example for Fluttershy.

Nice find. You sir, deserve a medal. I can't believe I forgot this guy. Thank you for reminding me of him. It's been so long since I've seen that episode.

• Brohoof 1

I think most ponies only wear glasses to make them look more professional at what they do. Twilight and Rarity being good examples of this since they already have decent eyesight.

Then a few others like Twist and the nerd pony just have poor eyesight.

Thanks Dash. I had thought I picked the right place for the thread, but I guess not. Oh well. No harm done! I secretly really like Silver Spoon. I think that if the CMC can ever get her out from under Diamond Tiara's hoof, she could end up being a friend.

Oh, and this is now firmly locked in my headcanon!

attachicon.gifRainbow finish.jpg

You realize, of course, that you must write a fanfic about that. :) PF really does look just like Dashie. OR maybe she's Twilight in disguise instead, since she has Twi's cutie mark! The idea is way too good not to make use of.

• 6 years later...

Wow, now that's quite the necropost, reviving this after 6 years. Bravo! And it was topical too.

Me, I just love seeing characters with glasses. I wear them myself, and I think once I started having to wear glasses (most of my life at this point), I started noticing others wearing glasses, and glasses make everyone look good. A female character donning glasses only makes them more appealing to me. Rowr.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 3:46 PM, Dizzylis said:

Wow, now that's quite the necropost, reviving this after 6 years. Bravo! And it was topical too.

Me, I just love seeing characters with glasses. I wear them myself, and I think once I started having to wear glasses (most of my life at this point), I started noticing others wearing glasses, and glasses make everyone look good. A female character donning glasses only makes them more appealing to me. Rowr.

As a female character wearing glasses her whole life...

THANKS!

561246.png

I've been waring glasses since I was five, so I'm perfectly fine with it. They can make the characters even more adorable if used correctly.

47 minutes ago, Cash In said:

I've been waring glasses since I was five, so I'm perfectly fine with it. They can make the characters even more adorable if used correctly.

Agreed.
Since you were five? :sealed: Uh, what diopter you need?

• 1 year later...
On 2013-09-09 at 11:44 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

As someone with a life long vision problems, with literally no memories of NOT wearing glasses, I'm quite happy with MLP:FIM in depicting characters needed glasses in a non comic way.

Rarity needs her readers for close work.

post-375-0-40544900-1378762795_thumb.png

Twist just looks adorable with glasses!

post-375-0-84836500-1378762884_thumb.png

And Silver Spoon carries out her duties as one of the two biggest bullies in school, with style!

post-375-0-04893900-1378762999_thumb.png

Does anypony else have an opinion?

I also have to wear glasses for a long time in my life now. So I can relate with you and I'm happy for the show including glasses.

Besides I find Ponies looking really cute with glasses. Also depends on the Pony and the Glasses of course, but still. The adorable Twist picture you posted there says it all :> And there are even more like Moondancer >D  This also applies to sunglasses (thinks about RD with sun glasses)