Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Help with Team fortress 2

Codelyy

I have just downloaded Team fortress 2 and i have clicked play but all it does is show a black screen and then goes back to steam and it does it ever time

I have played Team fortress 2 before and it did work 

I don't really want to install it again because it took ages

How do i fix this problem?

• Brohoof 1

Have you tried checking local content to ensure that all the files downloaded correctly? You can do this by right-clicking the game in Steam, going to Properties, switching to the Local Content tab and clicking "Verify local content".

If yes, then launch the game and give it a few minutes. If that doesn't work, reinstall the game.

I will try that in a min but what i mean is that i click play and it goes to a black screen and then goes right off back to steam

How do i fix that?

With Windows, if there's no progress bar when a game Is loading it thinks the game is not responding. Give the game a bit longer and see if it loads the menu. Either that or it's just crashing to desktop, in which case you should verify the files.

I don't really see how i can wait for it to load because it just crashes right away and i have verify the files but it still does not work :(

Oh don't worry i got it working now

I just did what you said and i turned off my computer and started it again and now it works

yay

Glad I could be of help. If you need any more help, just hit me up on Steam and I'll see what I can do.

Remember though that I am in class right now (NO SHAME) and therefore not online on Steam right now, and I have a bit of a headache, so don't do it right away.

Meep, glad you got it all worked out~

Also hon, if you wanna go ahead and play some team fortress two with us then we can. I'm open to any new/old players and i'd love to fight with or against them.

• Brohoof 2

Have you tried rebooting your machine?

What are your specs? If they are at least above minimum requirements, then TF2 should be able to run (on low settings in 800x600.)

The specs stated are kind-of false. I'm running at 4X the processing specs and 16X the RAM specs recommended, but to get any good FPS, I need TuneUp utilities, Razer Game booster, a ridiculous amount of TF2 optimization and a Maxframes config to drop the settings below minimal.

The specs stated are kind-of false. I'm running at 4X the processing specs and 16X the RAM specs recommended, but to get any good FPS, I need TuneUp utilities, Razer Game booster, a ridiculous amount of TF2 optimization and a Maxframes config to drop the settings below minimal.

I dunno, I'm on a laptop and I get 70 - 80FPS on the highest settings in 1920x1080 (brought down by the lack of optimizations for mobile GPUs.) What GPU do you have? Mine is a GTX 675M.

You may not have a Graphics Processor inside your computer. Either that, or the game isn't reading it from the card and instead just uses the processors. I am using a laptop with integrated AMD Radeon graphics and it's running around 40-60 fps with all regular tf2 maps. True that I lowered some settings to mid/low, but it's still on 1366x768 with no blur or anything.

Edited by Baby Sirius

You may not have a Graphics Processor inside your computer. Either that, or the game isn't reading it from the card and instead just uses the processors. I am using a laptop with integrated AMD Radeon graphics and it's running around 40-60 fps with all regular tf2 maps. True that I lowered some settings to mid/low, but it's still on 1366x768 with no blur or anything.

I may not be a computer wizard, but a gamer knows his specs. Im on a crappy 2009 MacBook. It's got an Intel Core2Duo @ 2.26ghz, an NVIDIA GeFORCE 9400M (crapcard), 8GB of RAM from Mushkin (stock 2GB was not enough), and the hard drive is slowly dying.

It may be a crappy computer, but it is FAR above the recommended specs. I've done some guesstimating and calculating, and it seems TF2 is running at about 25% efficiency. Still not as bad as Saints Row 2.

It may also be part me though, that my FPS is low. I make this stuff happen:

When I partitioned my hard drive, Screenflow (screen recording program) defaulted the recording location to the recovery partition, so when I was recording Minecraft, it recorded it to there. Of course, the recovery partition immediately deletes the incoming files. What happened was: The partition mapper thought the video was still there, even though it was deleted. This resulted in my HDD exploding all over the place to the point of opening your browser being dangerous.

It wouldn't surprise me if I touched a dust particle that somehow in a chain of events dropped my FPS.

Edited by Rcforme

I may not be a computer wizard, but a gamer knows his specs. Im on a crappy 2009 MacBook. It's got an Intel Core2Duo @ 2.26ghz, an NVIDIA GeFORCE 9400M (crapcard), 8GB of RAM from Mushkin (stock 2GB was not enough), and the hard drive is slowly dying.

It may be a crappy computer, but it is FAR above the recommended specs. I've done some guesstimating and calculating, and it seems TF2 is running at about 25% efficiency. Still not as bad as Saints Row 2.

It may also be part me though, that my FPS is low. I make this stuff happen:

When I partitioned my hard drive, Screenflow (screen recording program) defaulted the recording location to the recovery partition, so when I was recording Minecraft, it recorded it to there. Of course, the recovery partition immediately deletes the incoming files. What happened was: The partition mapper thought the video was still there, even though it was deleted. This resulted in my HDD exploding all over the place to the point of opening your browser being dangerous.

It wouldn't surprise me if I touched a dust particle that somehow in a chain of events dropped my FPS.

Well the fact that your graphics card sucks, that would be one minor to major point in the whole thing.

The integrated Intel HD 4000 is a ton better then it, and even so I think that the 4000 is a piece of crap. It doesn't always matter about cores and memory, since that game is more like a 80/20 for GPU/CPU power. Now having an intel core 2 duo does help somewhat with 8GB of RAM, but all in all it's your graphics card.

It just sucks, and that's it.

Edited by Baby Sirius

Ok guess what, Team Fortress 2 Destoryed my video card and now i can't even get on my computer :(

Never playing Team Fortress 2 again

Ok guess what, Team Fortress 2 Destoryed my video card and now i can't even get on my computer :(

Never playing Team Fortress 2 again

That is called a hacker, not the game.

I'm sorry I'll never see you around. :(

Might I ask, what server were you on? If it didn't have VAC protection, then you are wide open to hackers.

TF2 can't "destroy" a graphics card - the issue isn't TF2, it's compatibility with the graphics card. It's a big issue that many people have (not just you); I had this issue multiple times on my desktop before finally figuring out the culprit - usually an outdated graphics driver.

The issue is far more prevalent on Linux OS's, as they're graphics drivers aren't nearly as complete as Window's systems.

What are your system specs?

• 7 years later...
On 9/13/2013 at 6:36 PM, Codelyy said:

I have just downloaded Team fortress 2 and i have clicked play but all it does is show a black screen and then goes back to steam and it does it ever time

I have played Team fortress 2 before and it did work 

I don't really want to install it again because it took ages

How do i fix this problem?

Did you manage to learn what the problem was?

I don't think Team Fortnite 2 can destroy your video card 

31 minutes ago, Splashee® said:

Did you manage to learn what the problem was?

I don't think Team Fortnite 2 can destroy your video card 

Honestly I don't remember. This was 7 years ago xD

Just now, Codelyy said:

Honestly I don't remember. This was 7 years ago xD

Well, it was fun having my Android autocorrect game into Fortnite :wacko:

I also saw your post on technical issues with your monitor. But that actually felt like forever ago