Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Best FPS Game?

Bonko

Unreal Tournament 99

No, it's not just nostalgia. I played it the other day, I still love it and one of the best multiplayer experiences IMHO ever.

Yes!  Very much yes.  I'm so deeply entrenched into the Unreal Tournament series.  The weapons are all fantastic, and the physics are so fluid and beautiful, like the games' engines.  There's nothing like a Flak Cannon to brighten your day!

• Brohoof 1

It almost became one of Valve's games, (TF2, Half-Life, etc.) but it ended up being good old DOOM!

Arguably, I'd even say it's the greatest game ever. The reasons why is because:

-Variety of different weapons that each have their own advantage. (Made even better thanks to BD.)

-Maze-like levels that can catch you confused and stumped.

-Different monsters, each to counter the player's weaknesses.

-Many secrets that can help you defeat the demons.

-Nice graphics that I wish I could see a modern-retro FPS because of it.

-Awesome soundtrack. 

-Easy to modify by using free WAD editors and such.

-BRUTAL DOOM. THAT IS ALL.

-Can be played on any machine.

• Brohoof 2

It almost became one of Valve's games, (TF2, Half-Life, etc.) but it ended up being good old DOOM!

Arguably, I'd even say it's the greatest game ever. The reasons why is because:

-Variety of different weapons that each have their own advantage. (Made even better thanks to BD.)

-Maze-like levels that can catch you confused and stumped.

-Different monsters, each to counter the player's weaknesses.

-Many secrets that can help you defeat the demons.

-Nice graphics that I wish I could see a modern-retro FPS because of it.

-Awesome soundtrack. 

-Easy to modify by using free WAD editors and such.

-BRUTAL DOOM. THAT IS ALL.

-Can be played on any machine.

You're not kidding.

I agree with this post.  I thoroughly enjoy Doom for every reason listed above.  The ZDoom community has been absolutely thriving, and I don't think there has ever been a serious lull in its activity, at least not as long as I've been there. 

Also check out the mod "Aeons of Death" for Doom.  I've been testing it for a while, and it's just getting more and more fun.

• Brohoof 1

You're not kidding.

I agree with this post.  I thoroughly enjoy Doom for every reason listed above.  The ZDoom community has been absolutely thriving, and I don't think there has ever been a serious lull in its activity, at least not as long as I've been there. 

Also check out the mod "Aeons of Death" for Doom.  I've been testing it for a while, and it's just getting more and more fun.

Been subscribed to Aussie50 (guy in that video) for years. Surprised that it was this video that got him so much media coverage, but hey, Doom's awesome so what can I say. Good stuff, though.

Speaking of obscure ports, how about Doom for Kodak DC series digital cameras? http://www.visi.com/~xevious/mamed/download.htm

There's a Doom thread in the media section of Everfree, I'm thinking about posting to get some sort of Doom MP game organized, I think that'd be a lot of fun. :)

Back on topic, though, another old FPS I think was extremely underrated is Strife. Think Doom, but an RPG and a story! (not that Doom's was bad or anything, worked for me)

I would say Destiny, because I loved the beta, but I'll have to wait til the game comes out in full to make a full opinion. So, I'll go with TF2. It's fast paced, quirky, and a ton of fun, though a bit challenging, too.

(edited)

When it comes to single player shooters

DOOM and Wolfenstein - These games have aged like wine over the years! Doom especially, I first played this when I was 5 years old and it has NEVER ceased to get old! I also love the community that has made all these mods over the years for Doom.

Also for any Doom fans get the Brutal Doom mod, while Doom is already an awesome experience the Brutal Doom mod will enhance it 10 fold! JUST LOOK AT THIS BEAUTY!!

Also get ZDaemon if you want to play Doom on multiplayer. I've actually tried it and it's pretty fun. Problem is none of my friends seem to want to play, it's always modern games with them. Seriously guys, there's nothing wrong with playing older games, you'll always find something that's pretty fun to play.

When it comes to multiplayer shooters

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad/Rising Storm

This is a game that I love because of its realism and I'm not talking about CoD or Battlefield realism I mean REALISM. There's no recovering health, you either bandage yourself up to stop the bleeding or you will bleed to death and that's only if the would isn't fatal. You actually have to watch where you get hit. Also the hud won't tell you how ammo you have in your magazine, you actually have to check the magazine yourself and it won't give you a specific number, only that it's full, close to full, half full or close to empty. There's no crosshair so you'll have to half to rely on your iron sights or else you'll pretty much be firing blind. The covering system is also handled realistically, you half to peak from your cover to aim and shoot at a target or if you have a SMG you also have the option to blindly fire from cover. It even extends to Machine guns like the Browning 50. Cal and MG-42, if you continuously fire and your barrel overheats it's useless and you'll have to replace it. As for tanks (which is exclusive to the Eastern Front) if you decide to take the position of tank commander it's best that you get other players to form a tank crew or else you'll be shifting positions to get from the driver's seat to a weapon (and it'll show you shifting positions in First Person as well, they went as far as to recreate the entire interior of the tank). I have to say while it's very VERY realistic it has proven to be one of the funnest shooters if not THE funnest shooter I have ever played, especially if you like to think and strategize in your shooters. Whoever likes shooters give this a shot!

Other than that

Battlefield 1942

Battlefield 2
Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Plus Vietnam expansion)

Team Fortress 2

...You know this is kind of hilarious when you think about it. For someone who loves a show about magical talking ponies that go around on adventures and spread a message of friendship, love and tolerance a lot of the movies, comics and games I enjoy are pretty damn violent in comparison. XD

Edited by The Coffee Pony

For a multiplayer fun experience with friends, L4D2.  For an immersive single player experience, Metro.  More than any game I've ever played, Metro makes you feel like you're really there.  My favorite FPS of all time for that reason.  I still have to mention Halo for story and music and epicness.

Unquestionably, undisagreeably(is that even a word?) Counter strike 1.6...and source and go of course.

But there are also very good shooters:

Team Fortress 2

Far Cry 3

Half life 2 (Legend in the genre)

And many other which i currently dont remember...

It's all a matter of opinion.

I loved Brink, Halo (pretty much all), Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, Unreal Tournament, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I guess Gears of War would be considered as third person, which I don't know would fall under the FPS category of gaming since I never hear people go on and on about third person shooters as if it was its own category.

forget Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2 and Battlefield series are by far the greatest FPS games out there

Team Fortress 2 is a game where you have a choice between 9 mercenaries they each have there own personality and mastery at a specific weapons Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Heavy, Engineer, Demoman, Medic, Sniper, and Spy some move faster then others while some have higher hit points then others its one of the only FPS games where you actually need to work with your team to ensure victory and its free for PC

Battlefield its a realistic war simulator where you can walk around killing everyone with you assault rifle  hide in some bushes with a sniper drive around the map with a tank fly helicopters enough said play it once you will never go back to CoD

Metroid Prime

Bioshock

Medal of Honor Frontline

Halo

Call of Duty 2

Timesplitters series

Half-Life

Borderlands

Edited by Megas75