Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

I understand a lot of people hate most of the alicorn OC's out there, I can understand that due to the lack of creativity with them. They're mostly overpowered, are related to the mane 6 (cousins,lost sibling,etc) or even being royalty. Are they that bad to begin with?

I know that someone can come up with at least an alicorn OC that isn't a Mary Sue, I know that at least one person out there can at least make one like that

• Brohoof 1

If the alicorn that they make has a lot of creativity, then that's fine more power to them. But since not all people make overpowered OCs for the reason that people do, that is why we don't make them overpowered to begin with.

It might be possible for an alicorn OC to not be a Mary Sue, but most alicorn OC's seem to fall into one of these annoying categories:

• Overpowered
  • Has a broken horn or broken wings which makes being an alicorn plain out useless.
  • Neon Colors
  • Royalty
  • Related to the mane 6

As soon as someone makes an alicorn OC that DOESN'T fall into one of those categories...that certain alicorn OC will not be a Mary Sue. So, it's not necessarily the alicorn itself (unless it has eye-blinding neon colors), it's the backstory or personality type. Pegasi, Unicorns, Earth Ponies, and the other types can be Mary Sues as well, but it seems to be harder to do and easier to pull off. 

• Brohoof 5

Yes, and I'll tell you why:

People are basically self proclaiming themselves as gods/demi-gods when they have a Alicorn OC. In order to have an alicorn OC, one would have to know the ancient history of Equestira and the origin of Alicorns to have an actual good representation of what an Alicorn OC should be. 

Now there are a few Alicorn OC's that can work, even without knowing of the definite purpose, but they had better be pretty damn good/realistic. 

I'm not sure I've actually seen a good Alicorn OC yet.

• Brohoof 9

Why on earth are attempts at OCs in the MLP universe focused on 'power'? 99% of the episodes are not related to defeating some kind of "big bad", and I like the show for that. Even defeating Discord was more about resolving social issues.

The main reason people make fun of Dragonball Z is how everything boils down to who is "more powerful" than who. In real life, either comedic timing or dumb luck could cause any one person to come out on top of a fight. (Much of the former in a cartoon like MLP)

• Brohoof 7

I have an Alicorn OC who's not even a princess. She fits in just like any background pony. Most of the time, when I see Alicorn OCs, they come from super dark pasts and sometimes have dark colors like black and red and the like, which is just sooo overused. 

From one extreme to the next. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, I don't really pay much attention to other people's OCs, nor do I roleplay, but I don't usually like seeing alicorn ones. I guess they aren't really that bad if you don't make them overpowered, but I don't think I would ever make/draw one myself. :huh:

There's mostly no middle ground with Alicorn Ocs, whether it's one extreme or the other, they never seem to not have a dark past or be overpowered. Probably the worst I've seen is Prince Eclipse, he has an ask blog on tumblr and..get this, he's "he is a 1,000 year old alicorn that sealed King Sombra inside of him and has the power to transform to Super Saiyan"

And yes, his design consists of neon blue and black. If that doesn't scream Mary Sue, I don't know what

• Brohoof 4

It's not so much that we're incapable of creating engaging alicorn OCs who actually show some depth; it's more to do with how the show itself portrays a typical image of an alicorn, and how that affects our thinking.

The mind-set that alicorns are wise, almost omniscient beings with very few faults to speak of is set pretty deeply within our heads, sometimes so much so that imagining an alicorn who has all the same faults and insecurities as any normal OC somehow seems fundamentally wrong.

I think it's more of a subconscious issue than anything else. We know from canon that Luna at least used to suffer from crippling self-confidence issues, turning her into a villain, but it still seems odd to think of her as anything but a shining beacon that we should all aspire to follow... Especially when her character is otherwise so buckin' loveable. wub.png

Alicorn OCs aren't inherently bad ideas, but you need to be careful how you portray them if they're not to become the victim of this sort of reaction:

• Brohoof 2

great now i feel kinda bad having an alicorn OC, i like alicorns okay? I am just glad he doesn't fall under the categories that Wheatleycore mentioned. i mean he can do magic but he isn't as skilled as twilight and he can fly good but he can't do sonic rainbooms...I don't think mine is over powered at all.

Well having an alicorn OC i shouldn't really complain about the others. that being said the ones mentioned sound lazy, i tried differently with my oc but i don't swear by trying to make it good 'cause i know it doesn't matter. i don't think anypony will care about my alicorn oc to begin with : P

• Brohoof 1

I think Alicorn OCs are alright if done right. You know if it's like something for a story or something and they're not like as others have stated odd colours or broken horns and wings and they fit in that's alright.

I do agree that making an alicorn OC is sort of over powered because in the show Princess Luna and Princess Celestia are for all intensive purposes gods.

However I do like their graceful appearance to them and that could draw some people into making alicorn OCs. To each their own really. I'm alright with alicorn OCs if they're done tastefully.

For me, it really maters on an original character with an interesting backstory and such. If it was an alicorn with a tragic past, that could work. But if we are talking about an overpowered recolor with a "perfect" personality and has no interesting backstory...

...you came to the wrong neighborhood.

Edited by DJ PINK-3

I agree with Crystalline, it mainly has to do with how the show portrays alicorns. Officially there are what, four alicorns now? And guess what, they are all princesses. They are used as something special, almost god-like with the case of Celestia and Luna living for 1000yrs+.

Neon colors should be steered clear of whether you taking the chance with making an alicorn or otherwise, it's just a really bad idea. Same with black. These are not colors you see in the show on ponies, so usually when you see these colors used in extremes or in combination you almost instantly start thinking Mary Sue subconsciously.

Keep things show accurate with your OC and there shouldn't be any issues with them. Knowing of the Mane 6 is not bad IMO since they are rather famous with how many times they've saved Ponyville and been seen with Celestia. Maybe you've bumped into them at Sugarcube Corner, but you are not their father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.

• Brohoof 3

I have one. Not really ashamed of it, either. *le shrug* Going by Wheat's criteria, let's see how Chancellor Stellaris fares:

• Overpowered? No more so than Celestia or Luna. His command of nature lies with the appearance of the stars each night and the formation of new constellations.
  • Has a broken horn or broken wings? No.
  • Neon Colors? No. Color scheme's actually kinda dull compared to many canon characters'.
  • Royalty? Not technically, but he is the Grand Chancellor of Fohlenheim which effectively gives him ruling powers. And unlike Celestia, he's not exactly universally loved by his people...he's kinda like the Obama of Fohlenheim.
  • Related to the mane 6? No. Nopony in Fohlenheim has ever even heard of Equestria. It's a fairly secluded nation.

Mine seem shitty to anyone? Well...tough rocks, pals. :)

Anyway, seems the most common complaints about alicorn OCs are being "overpowered" and being royalty...but really, can you honestly blame those who assign such qualities to their alicorn OCs, especially when the only four alicorns in the show are princesses? Two of which being god-like, and Twilight being a cut above most unicorns, no less? All things considered, I don't think the assumption that alicorns have heightened magic power and a predisposition to rule is all that far-fetched.

Does that excuse the really bad alicorn OCs? No - many of them are very poorly designed in the visual department, are Mary-Sue'd in many ways, and yeah, have an unfortunate and irritating connection to the Mane 6. However, if you honestly think about it, this is no more true with alicorns than with any other unicorn, pegasus or earth pony OC. It's almost amusing, the piss n' vinegar that goes toward alicorn OCs, when many many non-alicorn OCs are just as bad.

Edited by Thrashy
  • Brohoof 1

If it's well constructed, which is very hard to do, then I'd be fine with it.

But the main problem is giving the cliched ideas of why are they hated so much such as dark or neon colors, being overpowered, and being related to the mane 6.

But yeah, alicorn OC's are frowned upon because of that. 

Well, I'm of the mindset that OCs are meant to be fun and not something to stress about, which I guess includes alicorns. Really just depends on what you plan to do with it! If it's your ponysona, then awesome, have fun with your neon royalty broken-horned self, have lots of fun drawing it. If it's an OC meant to fit in fanfic or an ask blog, maybe try to work hard on creating a good backstory and personality as to why the alicorn's this way or that?

Fandom's meant to be fun and OCs don't really hurt anyone. So honestly, I think the backlash against alicorn OCs is kinda silly.

• Brohoof 4

Personally any OC to me can be good or bad depends of their story, there must be a good reason of their exsistence, i have an OC who is an alicorn and in my fanfic i explain why she become an alicorn

I think its because that most Alicorn OC's tend to have undesirable character. With all kinds of flaws.

I suppose as far as the design its fine. If its a well done OC alicorn Oc's aren't that bad. 

I personally just think it looks kinda cluttered design wise, and does tend to feel a bit mary sue.

but it sometimes works i guess.

Alicorns aren't always bad, but they're difficult to get people to convince that they're not Mary Sue. In fact, if you look in the Fallout Equestria series, Equestria had the technology to modify ponies to turn into alicorns, and a number of the Alicorn OCs in that series seem pretty good, to be honest. It's all a matter of executing it.

Physical traits to avoid: Neon and saturated colors, black, broken horn and wings, relations with ANY cast pony, impossibly overpowered, powers exceeding the Mane 6, (hidden) royalty, dragon eyes, and bat eyes. 

Really, it's not possible for the last two to happen unless your OC is a bat pony. Also something that's rather hard to execute correctly.

It might be possible for an alicorn OC to not be a Mary Sue, but most alicorn OC's seem to fall into one of these annoying categories:

• Overpowered
  • Has a broken horn or broken wings which makes being an alicorn plain out useless.
  • Neon Colors
  • Royalty
  • Related to the mane 6

As soon as someone makes an alicorn OC that DOESN'T fall into one of those categories...that certain alicorn OC will not be a Mary Sue. So, it's not necessarily the alicorn itself (unless it has eye-blinding neon colors), it's the backstory or personality type. Pegasi, Unicorns, Earth Ponies, and the other types can be Mary Sues as well, but it seems to be harder to do and easier to pull off. 

hmm...

what about a non- wealthy alicorn that practiced magic and gave him/herself amnesia. The colours of his/her coat would be brown and his/her wings are well... brown as well?

bam! did I avoid those catagories?

hmm...

what about a non- wealthy alicorn that practiced magic and gave him/herself amnesia. The colours of his/her coat would be brown and his/her wings are well... brown as well?

bam! did I avoid those catagories?

I'm not really sure, honestly. I'm guessing he accidentally gave amnesia to himself, but with a more detailed backstory, your OC seems fine. I'm not completely sure though, so don't take my opinions for fact.

• Brohoof 1

• Overpowered
  • Neon Colors
  • Royalty
  • Related to the mane 6

Hmmm.  I'm interested to see what people think of my alicorn OC Neferu-Merywset.  I created her for two RP's, one that's specifically for alicorn characters, the other to fill the alicorn "Pharaoh" slot for a pony ancient Egypt setting.  Going through Wheatley Core's list:

Overpowered: For most RP's...yeah.  I haven't really gotten into the kind of games where "power" is much of an issue (combat-oriented games, etc.) yet.

Has a broken horn or wings: No, her horn and wings are intact.

Neon colors: No.

Royalty: In ancient times, yes; canon eras, no.

Related to the Mane 6: No.  In canon times, she lives a secluded life and has not met them (yet).

I think "create a good alicorn character" represents an interesting writing challenge, so I'd like to get some feedback on whether I succeeded or not. ;)

Edited by Roko's Basilisk
  • Brohoof 1

They are...
Let's start with the fact that there are only 4 canon alicorns in Equestria. That's probably less than 1% compared to the regular population (of ponies.) This means they must be some elite race, and they also don't pop up all the time (like alicorn OCs do in the fandom.)

Another thing to put into perspective is that they are a royal only race (at least from what's seen on the show.) This means that alicorns are not only super rare, but they are also only royalty. This automatically kicks any "regular" alicorn OCs (non royalty) far away from canon, and that's why they aren't liked. Non royal alicorn ocs just don't fit in with the show's canon.

Royal alicorn OCs, however, are usually terribly done and all over the place, which is why people don't like them too much. Should someone come up with a decent alicorn oc (perhaps a student of Luna who becomes an alicorn in the same was Twilight did?) it wouldn't receive the labels "Mary Sue" and "Bad OC".

Simply put, alicorn OCs are only bad because so many people have made bad characters that are alicorns. It's also really hard to do one right, so that only contributes to the fact that there are so many bad alicorn OCs out there. Since very few people have seen a "good" alicorn OC, most people automatically label alicorn OCs as "bad OCs" and "Mary Sues".

Edited by Pinkie Pie
  • Brohoof 5

I strongly disagree with the idea that all alicorn OCs are mary sues.  I get people all the time telling me that my zebralicorn ponysona is a "mary sue" or "marty stu" character, but that's only because they don't understand the reasons behind every piece that I put into my character design.

I explained in my first thread on MLPforums exactly what makes Rainshine NOT a mary sue / marty stu.  If anypony would care to read it, I've copied and pasted the entire explanation below:

Well, what can I say about myself?  My name is Rainshine, and I am a zebralicorn.

I've had people all the time telling me that my ponysona is a "mary sue" or "marty stu," just because it is both an alicorn and a zebra.  

Before any of you get the idea to follow that thought, I'd like to go ahead and explain right up front why it is false.  The definition of a "mary sue" character is one that is not well planned out and is made up of a bunch of different "cool" attributes thrown together haphazardly for no real purpose other than to look good.  My ponysona is neither haphazardly thrown together, nor meant to make myself look cool to other  people.  It is entirely a representation of myself.  Every part of the pony has something to do with who I am as a person, and I've tried several times to take away one or more of the "excessive" traits so that the character doesn't seem so "way overdone," but I can't identify with it anymore afterwards, so I have to bring the parts back in.

post-19482-0-76599900-1378517583.png

Rainshine is a zebra.  This stems from my other fursona, the aardwolf, which is a small species of hyena that has stripes and a long, fluffy tail.  The aardwolf is a perfect representation of me because of its small physical size, its nocturnal habits, its nurturing instinct, and its insectivorous diet (it feasts only on termites, so it is not a violent hunting type of animal; I relate to it because of my philosophy of pacifism).  When I became a brony, I wanted to incorporate my already existing fursona into my new ponysona, so I made it a zebra.

Rainshine has a horn.  The original reason for this was because I was obsessed with unicorns when I was younger, and I always wanted to be a unicorn; however, there are more important reasons for keeping my horn.  First of all, I am an artist, and in the real world I do a lot of things that involve working with my hands.  Ponies don't have hands.  It always really bugged me when the ponies in the cartoon would use their hooves to pick things up, because that is physically impossible and illogical.  Unicorns, however, can use their levitation magic to do the types of things that I do.  The curve of my horn signifies something else entirely.  ;3

Rainshine has wings.  Not only would flying for real be super amazing, but it's also how I feel when I listen to music, and since my cutie mark is related to the music that I feel and how it inspires me, I think that the wings are an appropriate physical metaphor.  If Rainshine had no wings, how would I symbolize that inspiration, that freedom, that comes from the music?

So yeah...  Don't call me a Mary Sue unless you can find some fault in this logic.

Edited by Rainshine