Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by the clothes they wear?

Wonderbolt_Spitfire

So when I 'people watch' or just see someone passing by I will normally see what they are wearing and normally come up with a judgement of whether or not I would like them or not. I feel what you choose to wear is very important as it's normally the first impression you make of someone (Other than having an initial conversation with them).

Normally for me anyone wearing 'nicer' clothes such as collared shirts, polos, dress pants, etc.. get an immediate seal of approval from me and in my experience most of these people are much easier to talk to and genuinely nicer.

On the other hand when I see people wearing 'gangsta' clothes I immediately have a lack of interest in even being around or near them as normally they are more irritable, less approving, and will sometimes just be very confrontational.

So my question is as the title states: Do you judge people by what they wear?

What are your experiences with how you have judged people? Are you mostly right in your judgement? If you have ever been wrong in your judgement then tell the story.

Do you think the clothes you wear influence the judgement others have of you?

It depends on what they're wearing. If they're wearing a video game shirt, or an anime shirt or anything like that, that's from something I like, I'm going to think positively. For example, I saw someone wearing a pony shirt before, I, being a brony, thought pretty positive of her. However, if someone has their pants sagging low, I wouldn't be judging kindly. 

But, really, it all boils down to how the person actually is. I have met some people that dress amazingly that turn out to be jerks while i met some people who dressed awfully and turned out to be awesome. 

All the clothes I wear have to do with pop culture media somehow...I only wear pony, anime, movie, TV show, and video game shirts and I usually wear dark blue jeans and black boots with them. So, it might make people judge me beforehand. 

Edited by WheatleyCore

I try not to be judgmental when it comes to what a person wears, but there are some articles of clothing that trigger a "I'd rather not get to know you" response in my head. Things like ICP shirts, shirts with Kurt Cobain, Bob Marley, any mainstream rock band shirt, #yolo and #swag apparel, trip pants, furry ears/tails. Stuff like that.

I really try not to, and the brony fandom really opened my eyes in tolerance, but i can't help yo judge people sometimes.

Anyway, i get judged almost every day for the clothes i wear. Mostly my haircut toug.

• Brohoof 1

I'd be lying if I said "no." Humans naturally form certain opinions based on what other people look like and what they wear, it's quite instinctive. This however, doesn't mean that I can't look beyond that. Whilst I can't help but form judgments about people based on nothing but their aesthetics, I can put those to one side and get to know the person a bit more before I actually believe anything that pops into my head.

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 4

Coming from the guy who refuses to do anything if he is required to dress formally for it, based on his belief that people shouldn't care how others look. I can honestly say. No. >:l   I feel very strongly about judging others based on how they look, it is simply despicable. If anything, I want to be judged by my actions and personality, not the clothes I decided to put on that day.

I can totally tolerate bad clothes, and will try not to judge. Like for example, at school, this freshman/fresher(for you British :P) made fun of my shoes. I ignored him, and just laughed, realizing his stupidity.

We are friends now, by the way.

I would be more inclined to judge someone by how they carry themselves and how they behave.  I think judging people by what they wear is a bit petty, I don't like to be judged by other people so I try not to do it to others.  Treat others how you want to be treated, and all that...

Edited by Anishna
  • Brohoof 2

I dont like judging anyone till I get a chance to actualy take to them, but it seems to be in every humans nature to stereotype people by how they look, which is bad in general

• Brohoof 1

In theory, we shouldn't be "judgmental", but at the same time, we often have that bias anyway because our clothes do provide a sense of what the person could be like. If a girl covers most of her body with her clothing, it just shows that she's modest and is also probably shy. On the other hand, a girl who shows her body more could show a sense of confidence with herself. 

As for me, I often have first impressions of people when I see them wearing certain kinds of clothing. If you wear something proper and dress neatly, then I can tell you care about your appearance enough that you want to look decent. It tells me that you want to look neat; it could be that you're very approachable for me.  

• Brohoof 1

Personally I see points on both sides of the argument, but personally I prefer to wait until I talk to the person first, before judging them.

Obviously though, what people wear and how they take care of their appearance will show points about there personality...but looking good doesn't necessarily mean your good or bad.

So I reserve judgement.

• Brohoof 1

Many of the most poignant moments in my life had to do with what I was wearing at the time.

I know that sounds ridiculous, and I agree that, in a perfect world, it wouldn't be the case. But it's true.

I must confess that one's outfit does leave a somewhat strong first impression on me. If I see someone at college walking around with their jeans halfway down their legs, a black rock band T-shirt and a backwards baseball cap (worn indoors), it just doesn't leave a good impression with me. I don't base my entire judgement on a person on this once I get to know them, but first impressions are still fairly important.

Edited by Celtore

I don't get why I should judge them based on their clothing choices, especially when I probably won't even meet them again. The only clothing judging I do on normal people in the street would be if they have a really stupid and/or offensive T-shirt design, like a swastika or some sort of homophobic joke or something like that, but that is obviously very very rare to see. I go around in a jacket with Heavy Metal patches on them, yet I am a very friendly and shy person, so don't judge a Zebra for her stripes

I avoid judging someone by clothes that person wears, but sometimes, well it happens to me to be honest. Especially when I see someone who looks like typical thug (in Poland they are sometimes very recognisable and wear almost same clothes) or someone who wears JP shirt (polish version of f*** the police) I just go on the other side of the street, just in case. Well, I know, I shouldn't judge someone that way and I don't like it myself, but I'm just unable to change it. Well, everyone has his flaws :P

In a way yes, in a way no. It is human nature to judge based on things like physical appearance and even attraction early on without getting to know the person so depending what is meant by 'judging' someone, it doesn't bother me much. Still, I try to avoid it only because I judge myself a lot and it isn't a nice feeling. I may not be able to stop doing that but I can at least try not to judge others. In reality it doesn't really matter though. Whatever.

• Brohoof 2

Most of the time no, I respect peoples style and how they want to look. But I guess I probably do it a lot more often subconsciously. Though when I know I'm judging I judge people for bad choice in what they are wearing, although I won't say anything. For e.g. Skinny jeans and high heels, chinos and trainers, shorts and trainers, crocs and socks, etc.

I try to avoid judging people based on their clothes, but I can't say that I've never done that...

If the person in question is wearing the typical 'gangsta' outfit, I would probably have a slight dislike towards them. Or a t-shirt with those common 'teen' sayings(YOLO, Swag). I would probably judge especially harshly if they're wearing a Justin Bieber shirt, since the Internet made me more inclined to dislike that artist. 

However, if they're wearing t-shirts of things that I like or colorful, creative outfits I would have a better opinion of them.

I'm trying as much as I can not to judge people based on appearances alone, though. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't try to, but sometimes it just sort of happens. I mean, the brony fandom really opened my eyes to the fact that not all books are like their covers, but honestly sometimes you just can't really help but judge. I mean, that's sort of part of being human.

I don't. It feels silly to judge someone solely based on their apparel. Appearance doesn't matter much to me, only personality does. If they dress a little strange, but have a good personality. That's all that matters.

Hell no. I observe how they act, gesture, and their tone of voice to define them. Alot of people judge me by the clothes I wear because I always wear the color black with a black cap (sometimes black shades too) and hoodie on. But that doesn't relate to my personality, I just only like the color black.

• Brohoof 1

If it doesn't have any pictures on it then its just cloth and fabric to me, nothing more. If it has pictures on it then I can see what kind of interests they have, and find out a little more about them. Other than that, I don't think I could judge someone based upon arbitrary pieces of cloth.

I think most of us do to an extent, like it or not someones clothes though they don't anywhere near the whole story are one of many clues about a person. I don't really care what someone is wearing and don't pay all that much attention myself but still make some subconscious judgments.