Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by the clothes they wear?

Wonderbolt_Spitfire

To a degree. It's not at all uncommon for people dress in a manner that corresponds to their interests - that goes for "gangstas", video game nerds, animu nerds, metalheads, and even bronies (all to varying degrees, of course). If I see someone dressed as a "gangsta", I immediately slap them with the label of "douche"; it's clear to me that he's into a subculture that I personally see as very sleazy.

Don't get me wrong, judging a book by its cover isn't always the best thing to do, but first impressions are important. A single look at a person won't tell you everything about them, but it often can tell you everything you need to know - "Is this person a potential friend or a potential threat?"

Still, I'm sure many people would think "psychopath" seeing my long-haired ass walking around in a Slayer tee, but I can't honestly say that bothers me, as it ensures that few people will have the balls to fuck with me.

• Brohoof 1

Not at all. Judging people beforehand does not feel right. I just see if they are nice.

a lot of duches dress nicely. Though it is always up to how they are, how I think of them. (as well as why they are like that)

Edited by a crazy pony

i do, well sort of, i try to get to know the pony first but i avoid people with certain clothing, like yolo/swag shirts and or underwear showing from pants half way down the butt. i usually avoid those types.

Its hard not to judge someone by what they wear or how they look, its a natural part of being a human (or pony ^_^) I try to be more trusting of people instead of going along with my, most likely, false accusations.

It's a proven fact that people judge others based on the person's appearance. What a person wears is often a physical representation of another's personality because people like to express themselves through clothing. It's not universally true so sometimes it's best not to judge by appearance alone. I have a friend who always wears more fashionable clothes, works out, and appears to be apart of the "cool" crowd. You would never guess by his appearance that he's really nice, not a douche, is a huge fan of video games and anime, and loves candy colored ponies. ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes, and sometimes not.

If it's clothing that makes you look like the center of attention for the wrong reasons like skimpy clothing, then I don't like that.

If it's clothing that is generally okay and pleasant looking, I'm usually cool with it.

I have never judged a person by what they wear unless it's really out of whack or something (Like formal in an informal environment). I usually go straight for the facial features and then full physical appearance (If I don't have access to assessing their mental state and mannerisms). I am very heartless when it comes to judging people, but I'm never heartless towards them.

I really, REALLY wish I could give an honest "No.". I mean, I'm the guy who hasn't the slightest quarrel with cloppers in the fandom. Hell, one of my goals in life is to go crossdressing, dammit. Who am I to judge others based on clothing?! <<;

... That said, it's often in human nature, and I do wish I could help it, but cannot. Fortunately, the only people I judge based on clothing, is anyone who has anything sexual or profane on their clothing, or are just looking skimpy and profane, quite clearly intentionally. Heck, even someone with sagging pants is worth the benefit of the doubt in my opinion.

I tend to judge people on the way they behave, instead of what they wear. I listen to their voices, to what they say, and then I judge them.That's why I got a bunch of good friends. :P

And no, screw clothes, they give only few information on who we really are. Clothes are only a social shield, to protect ourself from other's judgement. And I hate mainstream clothes, everyone look the same.

I hope you see the message in this painting:

golconde.jpg

Guest DJ Hydrolicious

No, not really. I kind of judge them of there behavior or attitude other than clothes. But there is some occasions where that might happen but rarely does it ever happen.  ;)

I do my best not to judge people by what they wear, because well... My clothing sort of contradicts myself. However, I do find myself forming an opinion of the person from what they wear. For example, I see a woman with over the top clothing style. I usually form the idea that she want some sort of attention. If I see a guy walking around with his pants so low that is literally debilitates his movement, I usually think that he's a sheep that only follows the group. 

I came up an idea for myself to combat the clothing judging thing. I think of everyone as a blank canvas, and when a person does something, it slowly paints a portrait of them self.

• Brohoof 1

I don't really judge a person by their clothes they're wearing. The only times when I do is when it's really trashy and baggy or when people wear really revealing clothes.

Besides those? Not really, sure, you get a certain impression from them, but judge them entirely? Nah.

Mainly because people around here wear a lot of similar clothes, so judging them won't work anyway. Though I do think positively of people who wear different clothing if done correctly.

Wearing clothes is an art form in itself. I hate trends though. But if you can make clothing look good altogether, bonus points to you.

I usually do, often my judgement is correct. Kind of stupid that I do, since I always wear darker clothes, a hoodie and jeans. Always the same type of clothes. I don't really judge a lot though, I usually don't check out other peoples clothes, I usually just look at the floor or at my computer.

I guess the clothes I wear do influence the judgement others have on me, though I'm not sure. You can just imagine it this way, suddenly a guy walks in wearing a big black jacket with hood. With the hood on, usually rather serious looking so I guess maybe somebody could judge that harshly I doubt it. But they must have some influence on it, I guess everyone judges someone by the clothes they wear it is the first thing you notice.

Most of the time I really dont care or judge people by what they wear, I mean considering some of the shit i wear it would be a bit contradictory.
But sometimes it is hard when I see one of those cunts walking down with their pants halfway down their legs, their hat backwards, some stupid jewelry and no shirt

I do judge, even tho it might be subconsciously most of the time. Dirty clothes tell that the person really doesn't care what others think, or that he had an accident.

And ofc the clothes tell about the person itself. What he picks, how he matches stuff... It might tell positive things or negative things.

I DON'T normally judge but when I do, there are a few reasons. 

I have a colleague who wears the SAME skirt everyday when she goes down to work. 

Question we ask among ourselves, "does she have that ONE skirt or does she have MANY of that kind?" 

It sounds mean, I know but Malaysia is so humid, it is bound to stink. 

so yeah :D

• 4 years later...

The only time I do is when someone's "trying too hard" if they look like they only shop at hot topic or that kind of thing. The thing I judge the hardest on is when someone's wearing socks with sandals, crocs, or older men wearing flip flops... I'm not a judgmental person but for some reason seeing those particular things bothers me

• Brohoof 1

The way people dress themselves is a reflection of their personality. It's often meant to show who they are and so I have no problem forming an opinion based on it. Conservative dress suggests a conservative personality, flamboyant attire suggests its own corresponding attributes. It's not always a clear cut matter, and a discerning eye will note the subtleties of certain personal touches, no matter how seemingly insignificant. Jewelry, accessories, color, custom alterations and even hair and makeup, where applicable, apply and each part says something unique about the wearer. Clothes matter, and they often speak volumes.