Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you judge people by the clothes they wear?

Wonderbolt_Spitfire

It is very reasonable to judge a person by what they wear. In fact, it is illogical to not judge them. Most likely, they made a conscious choice in what they chose to wear. They chose to make a statement, so it is logical for you to make an assessment based on that statement. People want to be judged by their clothing. Whether it's torn up jeans and t shirt, a nice suite, slacks, or a shirt with a logo, people are intentionally presenting an image to you.

You can make a lot of assumptions about a person. It is unreasonable to think that everyone is a blank slate and you can't make any determination what so ever by what they are wearing. If I see someone with a MLP shirt then it is logical to assume they like MLP. If I see someone with a nice suite then it is logical to assume that they have a nice job. 

Granted, this only gets you so far. People can still be nice or jerks, and you might not be able to determine that.

I don't judge people by their clothes, but I do appraise them. I don't care about fashion or who wears what, but it does give me an insight to their personality which can be interesting and useful.

I don’t, mainly because my parents did and were very negatively vocal about the way people dressed. Hearing it out loud I realized how much it didn’t appeal to me. Now I don’t notice it’s at all, with one exception: Tee shirts that have text on them. I notice those and read them, and as much as I take it back afterwards I will admit that if the shirts are something like “Don’t talk to me before I’ve had my coffee” or “Excersize? I thought you said more fries!” Or “Sunday funday,” those kinds of shirts. I don’t know why but throes have always bothered me. :wacko:

Clothes are probably the last things I judge people for. People have different tastes and I don't think the style of clothing tells much anything about a person I don't know.

Three things I think I keep an eye out for when observing people's clothing. How dirty is it, how damaged, and how much it stands out. I stay away from people who casually are very dirty, and don't just happen to be because of their work or some freak occurrence. I live in an area where there are a fair number of drug users and homeless people, and you can spot the drug users because they've given up completely on their appearance and are just covered in filth. Usually falling into the same category is people with damaged clothing. Not just a small hole but like ripped jeans and shirts, or is so often the case, the accompanying wife beater. I associate this sort of clothing not just with drug users but with people who get into scraps and won't think twice about harassing you. The rips in their clothing are a sign that they've fought before and will do so again. Finally, with clothes that stand out. this refers to styles of clothing. I'm open to discussion with just about anyone, because despite wanting to stay away from people who match what I've previously described, I've had conversations with them. Fashion is more than just trying to look good, it's a statement of social class and opinion. I wear clothes that are relatively plain, practical, and clean. Sure they can be wrinkled and baggy, but I wear what's suitable for the weather and whatever activities I may be doing that day. In a public setting, absolutely nothing about me sticks out. I follow the social norm of my area on point as far as appearances go. Other people not so much. Wearing a dress shirt with a tie and slacks is one thing, mainly looking professional. Wearing chains, all black, one solid color, or far too many colors, that clash, contrast, and overall just hurt the eyes, those are the things people wear for making statements. Some do it just because they want the way they look to stand out, others do it because they have something to say, and those are the people I want to stay away from because if they're asking for attention, they have something they want to tell you and they want the whole world to know. If they're willing to go so far as to have the clothing equivalent of a neon sign, imagine what's going on inside their head. It'd be like walking through time square or Vegas at night only the lights are their viewpoints. I don't have time for that.

• 1 year later...

I do it sometimes, depending on what types of clothes they are. For example, if someone wears clothes that are dirty I might judge or if someone wears clothes that really stick out in a very weird way I might also judge.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I actually do in a great deal. What you wear define how you are as a person. If I see a person walking around looking like a slob that tells me you don’t even bother taking care of yourself or your hygiene. I like people who could present themselves clean and at least know some fashion taste on daily basis. Because that tells me you got a colorful personality and know how to take care of yourself.  People with fashion and bold taste usually grab my attention. I don’t care if you’re attractive or not, but goodness sake, don’t go walking around in your PJ. 

• Brohoof 2

I probably do on a subconscious level judge someone if they're dressing in an outlandish way in my mind, but I really don't mean to. The only thing I intend to judge for is character. And if their character shows on words/logs on a T-shirt/hat then certainly I will judge them for that, but not for how they dress stylistically.

• Brohoof 1

On 2020-07-21 at 5:02 AM, ExplosionMare said:

If it’s offensive or very revealing then yes. Both of those things bother me

/) explosion mare from a long while ago. Pretty much this. Clothes can be very expressive, and if you wear them to make a point, that point should be relevant to the context. (Eg people in dull work-places inexplicably dressed as if they are going clubbing?)