Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Uncharted Skies

HunterTSN

~OOC~

The Red X - Prench Quarter, Neigh Orleans - Republic of Equestria

A bell rang as she pushed open the door to the old novelty shop. Brass instruments and model airships littered every level surface while faded nautical charts decorated the walls. She looked around a moment, taking in the familiar sights and smells before stepping into the store. The door shut behind her with a soft click.

"Hello? Kaesar? Are you in here?" she called towards the back of the shop. In response there was loud thud and a grunt of pain before a blue stallion emerged from a back room, rubbing his head with a hoof and grumbling about low-hanging ceiling lamps. His face brightened when he saw who had summoned him.

"Amber! Great to see you back in old Neigh Orleans. You here for a trade?" Kaesar asked jovially as he made his way over to an old cash register.

"Not today, I'm here on other matters" she said as she followed him and leaned on a wooden shopcounter. Kaesar caught on quickly and shook his head.

"Amber you know I left that life far in the past. Besides I've got this old shop to run" he said, waving off the proposition before it came.

"Look around you Kaesar, you haven't had a customer since last season. I promise I will make this worth you while." Kaesar was about to protest when the sound of a large bag of coin hitting the wooden counter cut him off. He ogled the bulging sack before defiantly shaking his head once more. Amber sighed and tossed a second bit-filled pouch onto the counter. 

"Where did you even - " Kaesar cut himself off, realizing that it was better not to ask. Sighing in defeat he pulled each bag towards him. "What do you need Amber?"

Amber smirked. "I need a Captain and a ship.Think you can handle it?" Kaesar nodded.

"Give me a couple weeks to pack up the store and I'll meet up with you in Baltimare. Bring a crew." Amber just nodded and trotted happily out of the store, the bell ringing cheerily behind her.

Kaesar brought a hoof to his face. "What have I gotten myself into this time?"

Baltimare sky docks - Baltimare, Mareland - Republic of Equestria

"Just under 20 meters long, spacious cabin, comfortably fits up to 10 ponies on or under deck. Easily piloted by a two or three pony crew plus an engineer. Two brass propellers at the stern, 60 meter flame-retardant hydrogen balloon. You get the idea. She wasn't cheap neither" Kaesar said.

Amber smiled as she surveyed the small airship. "Don't worry about the cost captain, I've gotten so many sponsors for this trip I had to start turning them down" she said, pausing as her eyes reached the bow. "The Celeste? How did you know I was a sucker for fairy tails?" she asked elbowing Kaesar in the side.

"Not me, she had that name when I got her. How's the crew looking?" Kaesar asked as he adjusted his tricorne. 

"It took a while to get them organized, but they should be showing up soon enough, I even ran into the merc at a bar in town earlier. Why don't you go down and get situated in the captains berth. I'll send everypony to you once they arrive" she said before turning away and trotting off towards the dock terminal. 

~OPEN~

There weren’t many things in Thesbie's saddlebags, as per usual, fewer possessions made it easier to travel on the drop of a hat, something she had taken to doing a lot of. Technically, she didn't really even have a home to speak of; it was more of a string of hide outs and treasure vaults that she hopped back and forth between when a hotel room wasn't available

Never staying in one place was always the safest way to get the job done in Thesbie's rather unique line of work, said line tended to consist of a lot of running from authorities and getting kicked out of town. Putting on an act wasn't easy, even when it was your cutie mark. Most ponies didn’t consider “con mare” to be a respectable job (and they were right) but it got her enough bits to put bread on her aluminum fold-up table. 

The whole airship crewing thing wasn't completely new to her, but it wasn't one of her many metaphorical (and literal) bottles of cider, still Thesbie had decided that it was the best option she was going to get for a long time. The pay was convincing enough on its own, but there was one deciding factor that sealed the deal.

It wasn't often that Thesbie got to see her marefriend, and the thought of getting some Amber action totally made up for a little bit of manual labor. High on anticipation,she trotted springily across the elevated docks. 

"Amber! Where is that sweet rump of yours? I didn't come all this way for nothing" she called as she neared the slot indicated on the letter.

Kaesar entered his cabin and intook that good ol' "new captain's quarters" smell. He shifted some furniture around when he noticed a hole in the floor of his cabin, "A rug will look good there," he thought, "And why is there not a desk in here? Every cool captain has a desk in his cabin. These ponies aren't going to take me seriously without a desk." Kaesar had just then found his first objective... To find a desk. He stepped outside and called for Amber, "Amber! Where is that lazy rump of yours? I'm didn't come all this way to not have a cool desk."

Edited by KingOfIcecream

Life Star struggled with the somewhat vague directions given in Amber's most recent letter. She'd been writing back and forth with this character for the past few weeks through a code of hastily written and references to people, places and aeronautical terms Star herself never bothered familiarizing herself with. To be fair, she had probably confused to poor mare on the other end with medical and military vernacular since her entry letter. 

That day going down Mane Street would have gone much differently if Amber wasn't so hasty and remembered to efficiently glue the CREW WANTED poster to the lamp post. For example, the poster wouldn't have flown into her face and clung there by remnants of glue. But that's neither here nor there. 

The light blue mare constantly checked and rechecked the directions and dates in Miss Amber's letter, assuring herself that the airship before her was the correct one. Sure enough. The slot number matched and the side of the ship read, in elegant, regal writing; The Celeste. "Surely you have a well stocked clinic, my lady." Star chuckled to herself.

Amber

Amber smiled as she heard an unmistakable voice call from a nearby mooring slot. "Hey you silly mare, you misread the letter again. We're over in slot 38" she said trotting up behind Thesbie and giving her a quick peck on the cheek. "Come on, I reserved the V-berth for us." Amber threw a foreleg over Thesbie's shoulder as to lead her back to the ship when a second unmistakable voice reached her ears. She sighed. 

"I gave you two full bags of coin earlier Kaesar, go into town and buy yourself a stupid desk. I promise we won't leave without you" she shouted back as she began leading her marefriend towards The Celeste. "Seriously though, what is it with all you ponies and my rump?" she grumbled under her breath so that only Thesbie could hear. 

---

Slug

"Probably, you ponies can' seem ta go anywhere without a room fulla pills and cotton balls. 'Course they never think ta stock these darn ships with any weapons worth a damn though" Slug grumbled as he strolled up next to the blue mare. "Nope, us merc types gotta supply are own boomsticks, Ah suppose I wouldn' really have it any other way, still some ammo's always useful." Slug looked over the mare. Her tan field medic coat made her seem awfully familiar, but that was to be expected. After all what was the point of a uniform but to suck the individuality out of a pony. Solemnly he adjusted his military beret, wondering once again why he still chose to wear it even after his many years absence from the force, no matter how hard he tried he was still unable to part with the floppy little hat.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)

Star jolted at the voice behind her and turned, slowly registering that he was speaking to her. "Oh, yes. Well, you wouldn't want to be lacking in case someone needed the room 'fulla pills', sir." She replied, smiling and ending her retort with a small chuckle. Life Star eyed him up and down a moment. She felt a strange kind of unfamiliar recognition. "Do I... do I know you from somewhere, sir?"

"Eh? I don'see why it matters none. I spent six years with them cursed military cops while you were prolly still sellin foalscout cookies or somthin'" Slug replied, blowing off the question. With a quick leap he landed on the deck of The Celeste, his hooves clicking on the wooden floor. Not seeing anypony on board he made his way through the companionway and to the lower deck. In the cabin was a nice large saloon complete with a small kitchen, table, and nav station. To the stern was the captains cabin and the auxiliary engine room and to the bow was a hallway that stretched to the V-berth.

Slug opened the door to the closest berth and nearly tripped in surprise. A large stock of ammunition and small weapons surrounded the fold-out military cot, slowly transforming his look of shock into a genuine smile. "I guess there're still a few ponies out there with some brains in those heads heads of theirs."

Life Star frowned, offended if not a bit peeved. "If you'll excuse me, sir, I never was a foalscout. I started my medical training while others my age were doing just that." She snapped and followed him. The strange familiarity of the stallion was eating at her now. She stayed close behind Slug, not knowing where to go herself until she could find Amber or whoever she had hired to be the Captain. "You seem surprised that these aeronautical ponies have heads on their shoulders." Life Star pulled up to stand beside him. "I think they stocked up well. But I'm not the mercenary here, am I?" The blue mare added with a hint of accusation.

Edited by TheOnlyBadgerChild

Slug just grunted and walked into the compact berth. "Ah guess there's a first time for ev'rethin'. Not like it would 'ave mattered much anyway. I brought all the stuff I need with me anyhow" he said as he slung his heavy saddle bag off of his flanks and onto the cot. Most of the weaponry left for him was an assortment of small knives and concealable firearms with pony-styled triggers. It was unlikely he would use any of it unless his own weapons became unavailable, however the ammo was a big plus. Slug didn't much like the idea of getting stuck in the middle of who know's where with only a bowie knife and an empty shotgun for defense. As he continued to sort through his inventory he noticed the blue mare still standing in the door way. "So are you jus' gonna stand there and watch me unpack or are ya gonna fix yerself up a bunk?" He said, not at all trying to conceal his cold attitude.

Myst marched through the streets, the gleam of the afternoon sun causing his tawny plumage to shine. His soldierly statute, along with his coat, brought much unwanted attention - it was rare to find a griffon in the Equestrian Republic, and Myst was no normal Griffon. The Hvalseyans - often called 'Eagles' -, the most common griffons found in Equestria, were known for their brown and white plumage. Myst however was a Gardarian, often called Red-Tails for their distinctive coat - a light gold plumage adorned his head, along with a tawny coat, which ended in a tail of brilliant red. The colorful coat often turned heads, much to Myst's chagrin. Their gawking was a complement in comparison to what he had to endure in his homeland, however.

Eventually Myst reached his prize, stopping short of the wooden hull of an airship. His beak contorted into a grin which threatened to split his head in two.

It had been so long since his last true voyage. Myst had longed to see those unsettled shores for some time, the yearn for discovering the unknown so strong that it became a constant struggle to remain on the ground. He had tried everything - flying himself, airship rides, even vacations to distant lands. None came close to the adrenaline rush that coursed through him when on the edge of the known. None ever topping, or even satiating, that euphoria. Eventually it became much more than an urge - it became a craving. An addiction. Myst didn't want to explore the unknown. He needed to.

That was why he immediately contacted Mrs. Skies, his most recent client, the moment he realized she was making this journey. That was why he accepted the offer she provided him without thought. That was why he had gone out of his way to prepare everything early. And that was why he was here, right now. Because this voyage wasn't just his way of life, it was a craving without parallel.

Looking to his right, his face fell. People. Letters he could deal with, but social interaction wasn't his forte, much less interesting to him. Walking up to the two mares, he greeted them, preparing his facade for whatever conversation he'd be forced to endure.

"Ah yes, Ms. Skies! It's always n-nice to meet my clients in the flesh! I'm Myst, your cartographer for our little escapade. I understand that I am, ah, intruding, however, so I only ask that you direct me to my quarters. Unless there are any matters you desire to discuss, I'm sure you have more pressing concerns."

Myst mentally patted himself on the back for that one. They were obviously together, so surely she'd desire more time with her partner! This meant less interaction, and some peace and quiet while he unpacked his things. Everyone won!

---

Minerva gawked at the ship in front of her, her expression a mixture of triumph and relief. She had finally done it. She had proved them - all of them - wrong.

They had said it was impossible to escape Equestria, that her longing to escape was little more than a fool's errand. But she knew they were wrong, and so kept trying. It all started with a few advertisements, all offering her services aboard sky vessels.

She was an engineer by trade. Though different from a mechanic, she had the qualifications of one, and her experience as an engineer made her even more valuable to potential employers. After all, who would want a simple mechanic, who can only maintain a vessel, when one could hire an engineer, who if given the tools and time, could build you one? Her low price was alluring as well - she sold her services for about the same rate as most mechanics. Most engineers charged more for their services, however she wasn't in this for the money. Employers were quick to take advantage of this, leading to a number of offerings.

Most of her jobs tended to end up duds - trade ships, less ambitious explorers, other private ventures, nothing she wanted in particular, but all came with certain benefits - after all, if she wanted to find the right customer, she'd need to first be known on the market. The money, though not necessarily, was always nice to have saved up as well. But Ms. Skies' offer was different. The tone of the letter, the warnings, the offer - it fit her idea of the ambitious explorer she was searching for to a T. This Ms. Amber Skies was what she had been waiting for since she started her career as an engineer. At last, she would get what she desired most - an escape from it all.

Furthermore, she got to rub it in the faces of her brethren. They had been so surprised when she spoke of her latest deal, some of them even retracted their earlier skepticism. Of course, a few elders still begged for her to stay. 'It's too dangerous', they said, 'you'll never survive out there'. But what did they know? They had been living in complacency under Equestria for ages, all but willing to hide themselves away behind a mask just so they could get by. It sickened her to see her race reduced to this - it was an insult that they had to hide away.

What was so awful about changelings, anyways? The fact they fed off love? If these ponies knew anything about their feeding processes, they'd know it wasn't parasitic. The fact they can shape-shift? Perhaps that implies deception, but what harm came of that? There were bad changelings just as surely as there were bad ponies, that didn't mean the rest of them couldn't use their powers for good, had they been given the opportunity.

But all that was over now. Soon, she would be on her way to lands unknown. Once they sit down somewhere suitable, she would sneak off, and finally shed this form. No longer would she have to hide under her red eyes, her blue coat, her gold-and-silver mane and tail. She could simply be herself. Like in the Hives of old, she could be herself. And Nothing more.

Looking down, she realized that in her euphoria she had forgotten to maintain her hover. Yelping, she leaped from the cold, hard ground, her wings attempting to level out in her panic. Now a good foot from the ground, she sighed, her terror receding. The ground had snuck up on her, but she had wings - it could never win, not when there was an ounce of strength left in her.

And soon, she would be temporarily free of its terror. Though an airship had decks, they were almost never attached to the ground. This meant that, at least for as long as the trip lasted, she wouldn't even need to use her wings. Given how much she passed out from overuse, perhaps this was a good thing. Perhaps I should start now, she thought, hovering onto the top deck of the airship. Now free of the ground's grip, she set out to find the owner of this vessel, and her employer.

Life Star grunted, leaving him and took the next available berth, which just happened to be the one neighboring his. She entered and dropped her saddlebags to stretch her back. What a rude fellow. She thought to herself with a frown in the direction of his berth. I feel like I know him, though. Odd. Her thoughts stayed centered on the puzzle of this familiar stallion while she unpacked her meager trappings. 

Amber waved her hoof nonchalantly the griffin. "Don't worry about it, me and Thesbie here were just catching up. Come on I'll give you both the tour"  she said, stepping onto The Celeste. 'Let's see here... Kaesar is off buying furniture, Myst and Thesbie are here with me, I know I saw those other two go below deck earlier, so that means there's just one mo- oh here we go' Amber thought to herself as a slender blue pegasus landed on the deck. "You two wait here, I'll be back in just a sec" she said before trotting over to the newcomer.

"Hello there, I'm Amber" she spoke up, holding out a hoof in greeting. "You mus be Miss Emper-... Empry-... Miss Tick. I was just about to give the team a tour of the ship, come on I'll introduce you to everypon- everybody"

((Just so nobody else gets confused like I did, Empyrean Tick is Minerva's pony name and the one everybody will refer to her as for now.))

Myst internally groaned. He was hoping to avoid all this, but as fate would have it, he would have no such luck. At least it was a tour - she'd lead him through the ship, doing most of the talking. All he had to do was listen, and eventually he'd be free to settle in.

Of course, this assumed that he was lucky, and something else didn't arise. If what just happened was any indication, fate was most certainly not working in his favor, meaning something most certainly will happen before he's finally left alone. Hopefully, it wasn't anything too bothersome.

Arriving on deck, he was met with the gawking eyes of a liberty blue mare. The way she looked at him told him all he needed to know.

Oh joy.

---

Minerva chuckled. Every so often ponies would have difficulty with her name, but a few clarifications always resolved it.

"Em-pier-ian, though Tick is fine, Miss Skies."

Though tempting, she kept her true name a secret. This is the final stretch, Minerva. Soon, you'll be free. You just have to deal with them for just a little longer, she reminded herself mentally. In fact, it was likely best if she distracted herself. A tour, followed by some tinkering with her rifle, would do the trick. Perhaps she could make a trinket out of some random spares lying about.

And then he showed up. A griffin, clad in a tawny coat tipped with red. Gardarians, or Red-Tails, as they were called. Biting back her tongue before she could think out loud, she gave him a once-over. Fascinating! I never thought I'd see a Gardarian in Equestria.

Their plumage was just amazing as some of her brethren had told her - gold, orange, and red meshing in a most perfect arrangement. For how beautiful Gardarians could be, it was such a shame they were known, like most Griffons, for their aggressiveness. Still, it would be a welcome change in pace to hear this one's tale - why he was here, how he came here, his experiences in his homeland... She was sure revealing that she was also a non-pony would be a bad idea, but at least she'd have the pleasure of talking with someone that wasn't a pony.

Edited by Durandal

"Tick it is then, come on" Amber said, leading the engineer back to the small group. "Alright Tick, this is Myst, our cartographer, and this lovely mare here is Thesbie, sorry but she's already taken. Everyone his is Impreyan Tick, she's gonna be the one keeping our engines going, we'd be lost without her. Come on I'll show you all the cabin."  Amber turned and lead the group through the companionway.

"Alright this is the saloon, we've got most of the immediate storage in here, as well as the dining table, galley, and nav station." Amber said, pointing out all the miscellaneous features of the room. "The door here goes to Kaesar's room, but I'll let him show off that when he gets back. This hatch goes down to the lower cabin, auxiliary engine room, and long-term storage. Down this hallway are all of your rooms and the medical bay. The berths might be smaller than you are used to, but I'm sure you'll make do. There should still be two free rooms, Thesbie your with me in the V-berth. Alright that's all, go on and get settled in."

• 2 weeks later...

Life Star continued to unpack and place the contents of her saddlebags around the berth. She sat back and took a moment to retie her mane and take a moment to analyze the room itself. A very standard issue kind of thing, bland. Though it probably would have been unnecessary to make the berths much larger or elaborate. Standing back up, she rolled her shoulders and pulled out her old "medical manual", as she called it. To be perfectly honest, it was just a collection of advice given to her by old friends from boot camp. It made for good reading in a pinch and she couldn't think of anything better to do while she waited for... well, something to happen. Life Star wasn't as familiar with how these things worked as she used to be.