Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming GTA V Discussion

Flutter's lover <3

A Thread for anything GTA V related.

Please no story/mission spoilers

I got the game earlier today,been playing it for 8 hours and I have NOT uncovered the entirety of the map, it is HUGE. Bigger than GTA IV, San Andreas and Vice City Combined.

There's so much stuff to do, you'll never be bored. The character models are some of the BEST I've seen in a while for realism. I haven't even scratched the surface yet....I've only met 2 of the three people you play as.

Also watch out for references.....to ANYTHING. I've run into a few and sorta laughed.

• Brohoof 2

Wait a minute, (I am debating whether or not to fork over 60 bucks for the game, but your statement is starting to win me over....) the new map, Los Santos I think was its name, is bigger than Liberty City AND San Andreas AND Vice City? How is that possible? Is most of it just empty desert or something??

Wait a minute, (I am debating whether or not to fork over 60 bucks for the game, but your statement is starting to win me over....) the new map, Los Santos I think was its name, is bigger than Liberty City AND San Andreas AND Vice City? How is that possible? Is most of it just empty desert or something??

there is a desert, but the city itself is rather large too.some of my objectives so far has been between 2-7km...and that's just within the city,  It's big enough that it has 2  airports if I remember. There's also 8 lane highways(4 lanes each direction), and are often congested with cars.

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/424318/318/86/maps_2.png

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I don't really like gta and people keep saying that the map is bigger then every other map. 

how are they measured? the amount of road or actual distance in an a X and Y direction?because there's a lot of road in GTA V....took me 10-14 minutes to drive from the beach and into the desert.

Edited by Flutter Dash

I'd have to say the game is really worth the money to buy it, I've completed the whole game, and really enjoyed it all, and that's rushing through it, I'm currently replaying it and taking my time, I think I'll enjoy it more this time around.

• Brohoof 1

how are they measured? the amount of road or actual distance in an a X and Y direction?because there's a lot of road in GTA V....took me 10-14 minutes to drive from the beach and into the desert.

This is good news for me. I really love driving around in these sorts of games (e.g. Sleeping Dogs, one of the most underrated games of its genre imo), and GTA V apparently took it up a notch.

I haven't played the game yet but I'll find out more later today when I do :D

http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/424318/318/86/maps_2.png

I'm not trying to be mean or anything but I don't really like gta and people keep saying that the map is bigger then every other map. 

I don't really see what that is trying to prove. Can you elaborate?

Pretty much that. Or specifically by Rockstar who said it's bigger than GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption and GTA SA combined. But it's not just empty desert. 

The only thing I dislike is that the car damage sucks compared to GTA IV.

Edited by Spontaneous Me

I haven't played this game and I probably get a chance to play it since I don't have a PS3. Well, I have a PS3, but it's currently in the living room and the TV in there is always occupied. I watched my brother play through GTA IV and he seemed to enjoy it. I tried playing the game on the PC, but could never get the game to work. I still have my copies of VIce City and San Andreas. I hope I get to play this game soon. It looks and sounds interesting. 

Alright, so I've played a bit of the game so far although I can't say I've gotten very far into it. However, my impression of the game is hardly what I would call mind-blowing. If nothing else, it's more confusing than anything. Much of the playstyle is a matter of getting used to the way the controls handle for me, and apart from being able to control more than one character throughout the game (more on that later), I haven't really experienced anything I can call revolutionary.

Generally speaking, the game sticks to the same or similar formulas as others of its genre, such as Sleeping Dogs and past installments of the GTA series. It's cool that there's a way to upgrade characters by doing certain actions throughout the game, such as physical stats including strength and stamina by playing sports and running. However, this to me feels too much of an emulation of real life and I generally prefer a point system for this reason. I know the vast majority if not all mildcore GTA gamers are going to disagree with me because I realize that realism forms the core of GTA gameplay, but the emulation of real life kinda kills the gaming experience for me, cuz I thought gaming was intended to be a bit of a temporary exit or release from reality instead of an emulation of it, you know.

Additionally, wtf is this crap about downloading an app to train your dog? Is Rockstar being serious? For starters, why not just make this a feature already available to the game? What if the player doesn't have a smartphone or an iPhone? Does Rockstar seriously expect a player to dish out hundreds of bits for a phone (or spend dozens for two years or so) in order to get the full experience of the game? I really hope this doesn't carry out to other aspects of the game like you need to download an app to access a mission.

Side quests are neat and everything but I've barely gotten done with 10% of the game and I've done way more side quests than actual story missions, which makes me wonder if there's going to be an overabundance of those. They've been an increasingly popular trend with sandbox games and I'm personally beginning to not like it.

"But Free! You can't get the full experience of the game if you don't play those side quests and do all those extra features!"

Yes but maybe the game itself should focus more on the story instead of having you sit through more hours of playing through quests that have no relevance to the story rather than those that do. I don't mind side quests, but having so many more of those compared to real quests is annoying.

As far as the characters go, I have no complaints. They're all really well made with a lot of depth and seriously hilarious interactions with side characters. The mission where Michael has to race Mary-Ann cracked me up non stop that I didn't mind failing the mission 3 times because of how perpetually pissed she is. I seriously expected she'd try to kick my ass for beating her xD

So yeah, I fully expect the majority or even all mildcore (nvm hardcore, I KNOW they'll want my head for this) will disagree with me, but those are my impressions thus far.

tl:dr I'm not impressed. At all.

Edited by Freedan

Alright, so I've played a bit of the game so far although I can't say I've gotten very far into it. However, my impression of the game is hardly what I would call mind-blowing. If nothing else, it's more confusing than anything. Much of the playstyle is a matter of getting used to the way the controls handle for me, and apart from being able to control more than one character throughout the game (more on that later), I haven't really experienced anything I can call revolutionary.

Generally speaking, the game sticks to the same or similar formulas as others of its genre, such as Sleeping Dogs and past installments of the GTA series. It's cool that there's a way to upgrade characters by doing certain actions throughout the game, such as physical stats including strength and stamina by playing sports and running. However, this to me feels too much of an emulation of real life and I generally prefer a point system for this reason. I know the vast majority if not all mildcore GTA gamers are going to disagree with me because I realize that realism forms the core of GTA gameplay, but the emulation of real life kinda kills the gaming experience for me, cuz I thought gaming was intended to be a bit of a temporary exit or release from reality instead of an emulation of it, you know.

Additionally, wtf is this crap about downloading an app to train your dog? Is Rockstar being serious? For starters, why not just make this a feature already available to the game? What if the player doesn't have a smartphone or an iPhone? Does Rockstar seriously expect a player to dish out hundreds of bits for a phone (or spend dozens for two years or so) in order to get the full experience of the game? I really hope this doesn't carry out to other aspects of the game like you need to download an app to access a mission.

Side quests are neat and everything but I've barely gotten done with 10% of the game and I've done way more side quests than actual story missions, which makes me wonder if there's going to be an overabundance of those. They've been an increasingly popular trend with sandbox games and I'm personally beginning to not like it.

"But Free! You can't get the full experience of the game if you don't play those side quests and do all those extra features!"

Yes but maybe the game itself should focus more on the story instead of having you sit through more hours of playing through quests that have no relevance to the story rather than those that do. I don't mind side quests, but having so many more of those compared to real quests is annoying.

As far as the characters go, I have no complaints. They're all really well made with a lot of depth and seriously hilarious interactions with side characters. The mission where Michael has to race Mary-Ann cracked me up non stop that I didn't mind failing the mission 3 times because of how perpetually pissed she is. I seriously expected she'd try to kick my ass for beating her xD

So yeah, I fully expect the majority or even all mildcore (nvm hardcore, I KNOW they'll want my head for this) will disagree with me, but those are my impressions thus far.

So the game doesn't impress you, not because of its incredible size, not because of its detailed characters, not because of its far superior graphics to previous installments...

But because you did't want to download an app. Riiiight.

So the game doesn't impress you, not because of its incredible size, not because of its detailed characters, not because of its far superior graphics to previous installments...

But because you did't want to download an app. Riiiight.

Right. Good job reading my post. I applaud your reading comprehension. A truly commendable skill rivalled by no other to my knowledge!

Edited by Freedan

So I played Grand Theft Auto V, and I too have not traveled through the whole map after hours of gameplay. I find this game to be a large improvement on GTA IV. So much to do, so much to see! So many things are great in this game. I as well find Franklin to be my favorite character, since I can relate to him a bit and I find him interesting. Michael is a close second, though.

Edited by Potato

Right. Good job reading my post. I applaud your reading comprehension. A truly commendable skill rivalled by no other to my knowledge!

Woah, jesus mate. I was just reading your post and responding to what I considered a poor point to make concerning its lack of an impression on you. 

But, to add to my response, I guess I would say that you don't find many games revolutionary, considering that about 1 percent of games these days are original in their mechanics.

Also, side quests are games like GTA's bread and butter. Did you hate Skyrim? Or practically any other free roaming game out there? Perhaps re read your own post before commenting on what you believe is poor comprehension on my part.

Though I'm not really much of a gamer anymore, I've heard a lot about the GTA games, and the series seems to be pretty epic as far as the storyline, elements, and settings goes.

GTA V seems to offer all new additional elements and aspects to the game never before seen. I may not have played that many video games but heck, I wouldn't mind taking a shot in this one.

I'm just afraid of getting addicted.blink.png Cause from my experience in gaming, it always happens. lol

No more... no more...

But I'm sure any gamer, especially any GTA fan, would love this!happy.png

• Brohoof 1

I've heard a lot about the GTA games

Wow, if you like GTA5, you must also try GTA San Andreas.

I have been very hyped for this game. It looks amazing and I like the other GTA games too. I wish I could get it sooner though, I have no money at the moment.

I actually really liked GTA IV. Sure, there was not a whole lot to do in the world and the characters kinda sucked, but I loved the overall world itself and the sheer amount of detail. GTA V, I REALLY want to play it. It just sounds incredible. The sheer size of the world and the amount of things to do, yeah, I would probably be a bit addicted to it. :P That is not even counting the multiplayer when it arrives.

I have many different games to catch up on so I am not getting any new games for a while but this one is an obvious exception. Hopefully I can get it at the end of the month or something.

By the way, for those that have played it, are the damage physics like what they were in GTA IV? That was incredibly well done before.

It'll probably take me a while to play it seriously cuz I'm just gonna come out and say it I think Rockstar is garbage.However I have seen some marginal improvements to GTA 4 like things a simple as a weapon wheel. I have played a little and find the new "squad based" mechanic with character swapping is alot of fun.

So far though I wished they made a more interesting character than "african american gangsta type guy that spouts the N-word every sentence" the other two seem intriguing enough but Rockstar has made that character a million times before and it was disappointing to see they went with him AGAIN. small things like the "stoned" screen filter was a funny touch (Dun du drugs kidz) Graphics; Eh not that amazing but still not the worst thing I've ever seen.I didn't bother getting that far but I hear you can workout and partake in other interactive free roam activities and customize your character in various ways aside playing dress up such as in San Andreas......why it wasn't in 4 I'll never know. Inb4 gta V hot coffee (DONT GOOGLE PLZ tongue.png if you don't know what San Andreas hot coffee is let it stay that way.) I can't imagine the story will be anything more than the typical gang/mafia warfare bs (although the territory based system in Liberty city stories for the PSP was good) so not interested in it for that unless rockstar surprises me and goes out of their comfort zone.

So far it's better than me someone who hates GTA expected but still seeming like nothing really to write home about. I will say though the new mechanics are well done even if they are only innovative  for the series itself.

PS: I really didn't need to see the hillbilly character taking a crap behind a bin :s something I coulda done without XD

Edited by QuirkyUsername
  • Brohoof 1

By the way, for those that have played it, are the damage physics like what they were in GTA IV? That was incredibly well done before.

It's not noticeable when your driving normally, but up close, the damage in GTA V kind of sucks compared to GTA IV. 

Compared to the rest of the game, these complaints sound very nitpicky. I've gotten up to 20% of the game and have only done about 2 side missions at my own will so I don't understand how you're managing to do more side missions than main missions. In fact, I actually want more side missions to keep me busy when finishing the main story, such as in games like Fallout or Elder Scrolls.

The rest seem more like personal preference. The character stats thing was actually one of the popular fan requests so it was great that they implemented it. 

Though like another user implied, you give incredibly minor complaints and then say that the game gives a lack of impression. Saying that you don't like side missions, character stats, and an app aren't strong points for disliking a game. At all.

Edited by Spontaneous Me

I'm working on beating it and truth be told...I wasn't expecting it to be so long. My personal favorite character is easily Michael. So, in order from favorite to least favorite, it's this:

1. Michael
  2. Franklin
  3. Trevor

So far, I am absolutely loving the game and I wasn't expecting it to be this good. Some missions have been giving me trouble but I have managed to pass them eventually. As long as it doesn't fall apart at the end...this game may very well be my all time favorite game. I prefer the city areas to the country areas to be honest, which is probably why I'm not much of a fan of Trevor. I plan on eventually finishing it some time this week, hopefully. I played it for over 10 hours straight on Thursday or something like that. Then I played for more than 10 hours again on Friday. The graphics look surprisingly beautiful and I encountered maybe one glitch so far. 

• Brohoof 7

Good to see you're all...ENJOYING IT SO MUCH!!!!! "Pull it together, Shane"...Well, since a long time, I pre-ordered the game, but when I popped it into my Xbox it turns out I don't have enough f@*%in' memory that a 4GB can handle... *rolls into a small ball and dies* So, now I'm just waiting on that damn hard drive to arrive... :/

• Brohoof 3

I haven't played it yet but the GTA series has been pretty good so far. I trust this one will be the same. Aside from doing the missions, sometimes I just like to drive around, which I did a lot in San Andreas.

Edited by PonyHag1

I never played GTA before is this a good game to start playing though? Should I play the other ones first? GTA V looks great but I'm unsure whether to pick it up yet.

I highly recommend palying GTA IV beforehand, including the 2 add-ons for it.There's quite a few references to GTA IV in V.Which tends to happen in a lot of Rockstar games.

Sadly not. though they are still quite cool. I haven't FUBAR'd a car in V as I have in GTA IV. It is possible to remove wheels now if you hit a car hard enough/the right way. Front fenders andboth bumpers can also be removed. Unlike inIV where bumpers just "hung"

Edited by Flutter Dash
  • Brohoof 2