Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Facebook: Useful or Overrated?

Inactive01

Starting a new Facebook account  

139 users have voted

1. 1. Is a New Account on Facebook worth beginning?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends

I use facebook mostly for game updates. It can be handy for chatting with friends i suppose, but i use it as more of a constant video game/media news feed. I guess it really just boils down to what you would use it for, so i voted depends.

Facebook helps me keep in contact with all the people I know around the world, including just friends and family.

- Most of my online friends are American and as such I have their facebooks. I don't see them daily, so it helps me keep up.

- My fiance is Australian and as such my soon-to-be family in law live a long way away from me in the UK. See above.

For me...

Facebook = Lots o' spam for your email

My Facebook is linked to a junk email, so I don't get notifications through there. I just check it in the morning on the bus (on my phone), and when I get home in the evening on my laptop. Lol.

I find it very useful, and I really don't see why everybody's always so down on it.

It's a great way to see how my friends from high school and other colleges are doing. Not all of them I'm close enough to call or keep in contact in other ways, so Facebook is perfect.

It depends, for example it's a great way to get a lot of media/news from different companies. They also have competitions/giveaways etc from there.

On the other hand... i really hate all the people who post a new update on EVERYTHING they do. "Hey, i just took a shower and now i'm back!" Well..... that's interesting to hear..

So yeah it really depends what you want to use Facebook for.

Edited by Highlord Jonke II
  • Brohoof 1

It somewhat helps me get connected with people and family I haven't seen in awhile. For instance, since I am moving from where I currently live, I will probably use Facebook to contact people if I need to. Otherwise, not really.

facebook still doesn't accept my real last name... so i don't use it.

But i guess it is useful if you let it be, just be safe

and don't spread false things about people. i have

not used facebook enough to know about it honestly,

all i know is that with any social networking website

you need to be safe, theres scary stuff out there...

I think Facebook has lost focus on its main purpose. Several years ago, it was a great site for communicating and keeping in touch with friends, but now and days it seems to be mostly spam messages that no one cares about. Plus it seems more like a numbers game - I had a number of people add me as a friend who I've not seen since grade school, and then they haven't talked to me since. People seem to be more concerned with making "friends" instead of actually interacting with them.

Honestly, the only reason I still have one is because I have about five actual friends on there who I wouldn't be able to communicate with easily otherwise. If i had a less annoying way to stay in touch with them, I would've deleted my account long ago.

• Brohoof 1

I'd say it depends. If you're staring one just to have one, then its pointless.

I only have one because I used to go to a tech school, there were students from several different school districts. Its a nice way to keep up with some of my old friends, since I otherwise wouldn't be able to see them.

Its also nice to be able to talk to old co-workers or family members that live far away. Heck, Facebook even helped me find out more about myself.

So it really depends on why you'd want one. Most people seem to have one just because its cool.

I am SO busy between being the guardian of my 16 year old-unstable sister, working to support my self, taking care of a home, buying groceries and university that I don't have time to keep up with ALL my friends.

Facebook IS WONDERFUL.

My friends don't feel neglected or snubbed because I can keep up with ALL of them by checking my fb for 20 minutes a day.

Facebook allows me to maintain my friendships, so that when I do have free-time I can go out with them.

~

I think Facebook has lost focus on its main purpose. Several years ago, it was a great site for communicating and keeping in touch with friends, but now and days it seems to be mostly spam messages that no one cares about. Plus it seems more like a numbers game - I had a number of people add me as a friend who I've not seen since grade school, and then they haven't talked to me since. People seem to be more concerned with making "friends" instead of actually interacting with them.

Honestly, the only reason I still have one is because I have about five actual friends on there who I wouldn't be able to communicate with easily otherwise. If i had a less annoying way to stay in touch with them, I would've deleted my account long ago.

I agree, facbeook has become a popularity contest.

I went out with a few of my female friends the other day and they are talking about this guy's girlfriend and they say,

"Yeah, I creeped her on fb and she only had like 200 friends, so you know she's a loser".

~

Facebook can be a powerful tool, if used correctly, it can be very helpful. If used incorrectly it can do more harm than it could ever do good. :unsure:

Facebook breaks a lot of couples up, because they don't like seeing their significant other chatting with other people of the sex they are attracted to and such.

Thanks to facebook, cheating is much more difficult,

likewise people who use facebook are something like 80% more often to get back together with an ex (and doing that is known to lead to depression) since they are always in your face, drunk messaging you or poking you etc ~

It depends, it is a good way to communicate with friends or loved ones. But can also be used to be an ultimate Attention-whoring tool. It can also be dangerous with their lack of security. So I'd only recommended it to those who have no other way of using long-distance contact.

Well, I've got a facebook account and I can't really say it's any good... Nor am I a very social person(so perhaps a social network is to much for me). Well sure, you can use it for some good things I guess, but the problem is that few people do that - and if they do, few people tend to accept it etc. etc.

However, it is certainly a great way of keeping contact with your friends, so if you have alot of friends who use it, I encourage, if not - meh, not necessary :)

The only reason I have a Facebook account is to keep Wii U Go's Facebook page up to date and to allow Facebook Connect to be used on my two forum communities (according to Facebook, around 100 MLPF users have actually linked their MLPF and Facebook accounts).

If I want to socialize, I find Facebook's handling of content to be far too messy for any substantial discussion to actually take place. If I want to connect with people I know in real life, I see most of them at school every day and can phone them up anytime. When interacting with online friends, forums are my favourite way to do it because they are highly structured and organized.

Ehh I have mixed feelings about facebook. I like it for keeping up with long distance friends, but I don’t keep up with it too often otherwise, and find it pretty much useless outside of chat/groups.

• 1 year later...

Psh, facebook is extremely overrated, but it can be useful as well as annoying. Yes you get the  ability to talk to love ones that may be far away, but then you have to deal with all the farmville and other crappy facebook game invites. I only use it to share funny memes and videos.

• Brohoof 1