Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What to do?

Barz

Hello everone!

So, like I said in 'welcome' thread, I am new here and from seeing the different topics... I just really don't know what to do. So! In my own little world I think the best way to get started is to talk randomly and get to know people. What i'd like to know is simple: I want to know about you. What do you like? Hobbies? You want to share something happy? Or maybe something sad?

For starters, I can say I like coding. I'm a programmer. And I like gaming! My parents owned a small arcade before I was born. When I was born, they closed it, but I got to keep that sweet sweet atari with a bunch of games (awwwww yeah!), so games are a natural thing for me. I personally prefer the PS3 and im thinking about buying the DS3/Vita at the moment. Right now im working in a "high level" game for a canadian company... so go me! Nonetheless a part of me would really like to enter the indie game dev community... I just really like making games.

I also believe in helping others. Being friendly is what i've been trying to be for the past 22 years (23 this next may) so if anyone is a beginner programmer and needs advice, i'd be glad to help!

Oh and one last thing: I am very jealous of designers. I wish I could do what they do. Even if its "simple" forum signatures or overly complicated draw designs, I can't do it and boy do I wish I could. :(

Bye now!

• Brohoof 1

The easiest way to make friends on the forum... as I belive, is to chat in the chat room! :D

Ofc you can post in the fanclubs, and get to know other ponies that likes the same pony as you.

Or you can just visit other ponies profiles and message them If you want to become better acquainted with them.

easy as that :P

Hello! :)

Well, I don't quite know where to start. I like photography and art. I seem to be one of the few girls who is actually into Xbox and who doesn't just use their brothers stuff.

Coding... my boyfriend talks about this sort of stuff and I never understand it. ;) I try and it does sound interesting, I just can't seem to grasp it.

That's my (kinda short) "welcome, please talk to me" message.

:D

Edited by ImAvinOops

Hello mist. Yeah I know. I tried entering the chat but im just a blank flank at the moment and its a no go. And I do want to know about other people's hobbies, and their likes. What are yours?

Hello Im..avin? Not sure how to call you! It's great! Photography and art are very special things. I can take good photos but i wouldnt call them art level photos. And it's great that you like games, it's a shame we can't play together since I don't have a 360 (I should have one though...). Coding is fun if you get into it... giving life to images and 3D meshes... I love it. :)

Well, this is an interesting thread. Sort of like posting my own 'Welcome' message again.

I'm Nico, and I'm really into graphic design and gaming. Currently I have a computer that's a wee bit messed up, so I'm running off of an external Hard Disk using Linux Ubuntu 11.10 build and don't have (easy) access to Photoshop, so this is downtime on my designing, really.

Gaming, on the other hand, I've started to really get back into lately, having bought and beaten Resident Evil: Revelations as my newest game. Currently I'm playing a lot of Forza Motorsport 4, but seeing as how you're a PS3 guy I suppose that doesn't really affect you. :P

I'm currently a college student, working on my second semester at one of the Arkansas State Universities (though this is my fourth semester of college overall). I'm studying for a General Studies associate's degree to get my basics out of the way and will then go for a masters degree in English and Graphic Design as a double major in another university afterwards.

Some hobbies I have are Photoshopping (though as I've said earlier I cannot do that currently), designing MLP:FiM cars in Forza Motorsport 4 to drive around (terribly) online, visiting MLP Forums (because it's the coolest place ever), Skyping with friends and, lately, playing Wallyball nearly every day with my college friends.

There you have it. A good bit about myself. If you want to know anything else, just ask! I hope that you make plenty of friends here at the forums and have a good time!

Haha Emily is fine. ;)

Awwwh shame, I'm always on the look out for new Xbox buddies. ;) Coding just sounds so complicated, I can't even imagine how it works. ;) lol

Nico, what's Wallyball? I'm really curious now. ;)

Nico, what's Wallyball? I'm really curious now. ;)

Wallyball is Volleyball played inside an enclosed room the size of a standard Volleyball court. The big difference between Wallyball and Volleyball being that you can play off of the side walls and your own back wall in Wallyball, thus meaning that there's very few 'Out of Bounds' places. The only shots that are out of bounds are when you hit the ball over the net and hit the other team's back wall or hit the ceiling on their side.

Hey nico. Like I said, I am jealous of you photoshopping people :( I use ubuntu... but only sometimes, for work (oh CUDA how I hate thee). I've been trying to use GiMP since I cant afford photoshop but I am just, awful. At most I can do simple stuff like replacing faces (which I do a lot using doctor doom for inside ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 jokes with a friend of mine).

Even if I don't have an Xbox, there's pc games we could play... well not with your ubuntu... but maybe some other time! I personally love playing SNES online through emulators and stuff. And Wallyball sounds pretty fun. I'd play it, if I didn't live where I do :P

Ah! I see. It sounds pretty fun. :D May have to try it out with some friends. :)

The only problem with trying out Wallyball is finding someplace that has a Racquetball/Wallyball room. (Wallyball is played inside rooms built for Racquetball, so if you know where one of those is the place might have a net and ball for Wallyball, too.)

Hmm... yeah. I'm sure if I thought hard I could think of a solution. The only thing we really have around here is a big hall with a load of basket ball courts. Maybe a bit too big. lol ;)

I have never actually found a proper PC game I have been into. I have tried a few but never found that I was hooked.

Hello mist. Yeah I know. I tried entering the chat but im just a blank flank at the moment and its a no go. And I do want to know about other people's hobbies, and their likes. What are yours?

I mostly ski in the winter and climb in the summer, soo I'm pretty sporty I guess.

I also like gaming BF 3 and skyrim on my computer, and watching MLP ofc :P

but that's mostly it :D

Hey nico. Like I said, I am jealous of you photoshopping people :( I use ubuntu... but only sometimes, for work (oh CUDA how I hate thee). I've been trying to use GiMP since I cant afford photoshop but I am just, awful. At most I can do simple stuff like replacing faces (which I do a lot using doctor doom for inside ultimate marvel vs capcom 3 jokes with a friend of mine).

Even if I don't have an Xbox, there's pc games we could play... well not with your ubuntu... but maybe some other time! I personally love playing SNES online through emulators and stuff. And Wallyball sounds pretty fun. I'd play it, if I didn't live where I do :P

Oh Lord, I despise GIMP with a burning passion. I've got it on Ubuntu, but it's just so much different in its GUI from Photoshop that I don't want to take the time to figure out where everything is. Also, from what little I've tried I can tell it's just not as easy to use as PS is, which is, of course, annoying to switch to.

I'd be happy to play some PC games with you once I get my computer back to running Windows. Until then, though, I'm stuck with, well, pretty much no computer games unless I go through the trouble of using PlayOnLinux.

Have you tried using Wine? It's got a good compatibility list. Maybe you can get at least some games running with it.

PlayOnLinux is a WINE-based GUI for installing and using Windows applications. I have PlayOnLinux on my computer, but the thing is that I don't want to run my games using a computer that is using an OS from an external Hard Disk. It'd probably be painfully slow.

I use GIMP. I don't like spending money. ;) It takes such a looong time to get used to though.

I don't understand half of this conversation anymore. ;)

:lol:

I think that's because we started discussing Linux stuff, and most people don't generally know that stuff. ;)

I think I would have liked GIMP had I tried it out before Photoshop, but that is simply not the case and I can't bring myself to use GIMP at this point.

Ah I was not aware of PlayOnLinux. My bad. :P So from what I can gather, nico likes racing games. That's pretty cool, though I have to say... I am not a big fan of 'em. Don't know why. Do you like other kinds of games? What about you Emily? Other games you like? And Mist Blitz, I actually like Skyrim and BF3 a lot... though I play them on my PS3. :P

I think I would have liked GIMP had I tried it out before Photoshop, but that is simply not the case and I can't bring myself to use GIMP at this point.

Yeah, if I had the choice I would pick Photoshop.

I like things like Assassins Creed and COD. Not a fan of Skyrim however. Just can't get into it.

Hello Barz! You're a game developer? Rock on dude!

I'm HAL 9000. I haven't been around here very long yet myself.

I'm into programming as well. Actually, I started with game development. I had some crazy dream to make my own roguelike adventure game. (I know, it wouldn't have been commercially viable, but it would have been fun.) Unfortunately, my hard drive died on me during my second semester in college (while my computer was making a backup - the ultimate irony). It took all of my work with it, so it was a little before I had the stomach to do any coding again.

When I did start coding again, I had moved from games to web development. Now all I do is stare at javascript and python code all day. I enjoy my work, but I have to admit to being just a bit envious of you.

I like racing games. A lot. I shudder to think of how many hundreds of hours of my life I have spent playing Gran Turismo. That's nothing though. I logged over a thousand hours into Super Smash Bros Melee. (I didn't like Brawl that much though, way too slow for me.)

I used to have serious problems in design as well. Then I picked up a copy of "Notes on Graphic Design and Visual Communication" by Gregg Berryman. It's a tiny book, but its a pretty good primer to design. After reading it, I was still lost on design but I knew enough to do some web design myself without the result looking too horrifying.

I've been a proud linux user since 1998..... Well....... At least I was until last year. Now I run a hackintosh. I got bored with running the same OS on my servers and my desktop.

• Brohoof 1

Hello Knight Shadra... shad...dka.. dah.. Knight! I like pretty much the same things you like... except for COD. Im more of a BF player... WHEN I play it... which isnt much... lately I play a lot more phoenix wright games. And ultimate marvel.

Hey Hal! Please don't murder me oh you computer. :( You should pick up coding games again. I know I would! If I can be of help to you I will. :)

Hello Knight Shadra... shad...dka.. dah.. Knight! I like pretty much the same things you like... except for COD. Im more of a BF player... WHEN I play it... which isnt much... lately I play a lot more phoenix wright games. And ultimate marvel.

Hey Hal! Please don't murder me oh you computer. :( You should pick up coding games again. I know I would! If I can be of help to you I will. :)

I'm also a huge Marvel fan! :D

But I haven't gotten uMvC3 yet. :/