Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mokele-Mbembe, the last living dinosaur?

GhostPony750

After looking into some of my old books, I found one about dragons. And I found something pretty interesting here. It seems that there might be a remaining living dinosaur on heart...

"a legendary animal whose appearance would closely resemble that of the famous diplodocus, which may be hiding in the region of the Congo Basin... if found, it would have survived the glacial era and would now be hiding itself in this very primitive region, one of the most unexplored on the planet. Many expeditions have been carried out throughout the course of the twentieth century, all without success..."

Representation:

_57559033_monsterinlake.jpg

and a footage:

So why do I think it may exist? First of all, there is supposed to be minimum 8 million species on earth, and we only found around 1.8 million of them, and we discover new species every years. If it's the size of an elephant, why haven't we found it yet? Well, the Congo Basin is a vast and unexplored territory, and maybe this specie is endangered. And this dinosaur is supposed to be an aquatic animal. And we have a bunch of evidences that this animal exist. We have found footprints, we have seen it, we even have a footage!

So what do you think about this? Personally, I'm quite curious. Is it really a dinosaur, or maybe it's just a weird aquatic mammal, like the dugong? There only been a few expedition sto find this rawrz, so maybe we will find it soon? Maybe it is extinct already? I think it would be awesome if we could find it, and take pictures. I'm curious to see how it looks for real.

If you want to learn more about this dinosaur, here's a documentary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl1JdL6v9fs

Source:

http://www.kisskissbankbank.com/mokele

• Brohoof 4

It might be a similar situation to the Loch Ness Monster, in other words, a local legend. It is entirely possible that there is a species in the Congo Basin whose existence has yet to be confirmed, but even if there is, It is most likely 1) a local animal vaguely resembling a dinosaur, or 2) a local legend based on a species that is long extinct. Either way, I doubt there is a legitimate dinosaur (surviving species from before the glacial era) out there. Any large species that has been actively sought after with no success cannot have a large enough population to continue breeding, meaning even if it was there 200 years ago, it is probably extinct now.

I agree with the idea of it being a local legend, like the Loch Ness monster. And if you want dinosaurs in our modern world, alligators and crocodiles have changed little, and birds are direct descendants of the dinosaurs.

But sometimes, these legends are actually true.

Do you know the Okapi?

mokele-fact23.jpg

It was once one of those "legends", but thanks to the pygmies, we've been able to discover it, along with the Gorilla! And now they are talking about this animal. So there are quite high chances that this animal will be found alive, the pygmies have a great knowledge of the fauna, and they consider this animal rare, but still a part of their habitat.

And of course, it might not be a dinosaur, just a random aquatic reptile we've never seen before. So let's hope it indeed still exist. wink.png

This is so interesting. smile.png I know plenty of other creatures, like the Tatzelworm or the Kehnosaurus. You might want to check them.

I really can't grasp the idea of any livig dinosaur that isnt a bord. Where are the verified pictures? Sound recordings? Verified footprints? A carcass? A bone? An abnormally sized game trial or other sign of movement? These don't exist, you say? Not even a nibbled leaf? Shame.

Let's try something, shall we? I'm going to describe to you something my friend's cousin's friend's sister (who, by the way, is half my height) said she swore she saw and described thusly:

"It looked like a dinosaur! I was on vacation in Kenya, and my family and I were walking down the path when I turn around and right behind me was a creature with 3 huge horns on its head and frill on the back of the head. It was green with pebbled skin and spines going down its back. The body alone looked about 3ft long and if I included the tail it probably would have been over 5ft long!

Wanna take a take a guess at what it is? It's a chameleon! A perfect example of a mixture of "big fish story", mistaken identity, and unreliable resource turns a simple Jackson's Chameleon into Triceratops. Because somebody can describe something that looks like a dinosaur, doesn't mean they are describing it accurately or are even describing what you think they are at all. You show them a picture, and to them it's "eh, close enough". Now, imagine a Victorian Englander is described a Giraffe, and having never before seen one or knowing of their existence would instantly jump to Brachiosaurus. Same thing. ;) A human being is a human being. We may have different languages, appearances and cultures, but at the end of the day our minds all works in as similar way that make us all susceptible to misidentification that often leads to "wild stories".

As I understand it, every culture has their own version of "monsters" and other mythical creatures. Whether it's the Wyvern in Christianity, Long in Chinese mythology, the Hydra of Ancient Greece, or Xiuhcoatl of the Aztecs.... or as they are collectively known in English: "Dragons", every culture is susceptible to their own imagination. The skull of Protoceratops gave rise to Gryphon myths in East Asia, does this mean that Protoceratops is actually living? The Native American Thunderbird and Arabian Roc are both depicted as gigantic raptors. Does this mean that they are both Argentavis? Of course not. So then why should these be? That's not even mentioning the fact that if they even WERE remnants of a survived Mesozoic lineage, that these animals would likely not even look like their prehistoric ancestors.

BTW, have any of you ever heard of this little gem of the cryptid world? http://www.cryptomundo.com/cryptozoo-news/nessie-trks/ It's a widely known hoax, even Cryptomundo thinks it's a hox. The whereabouts of the supposed "cast" of the footprint is currently unknown, but it's highly believed to have been made by, of all things native to of all places... a hippo foot. Wanna see a hippo footprint? http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/390746 That's the exact thing I see in the Moleke Mbembe footprint- a badly left imprint of a hippo foot, where the fourth digit has not been left imprinted. See, the biggest problem with that footprint is there's nothing in shot for scale, There's those plants, but there's no scaling on that either. They're just grass. The Moleke Mbembe footprint could be 3ft wide or 3in. wide. There's really just no way of telling, and rather than giving the benefit of the doubt, I'm saying that footprint was made by a hippo.

• Brohoof 2

being is a human being. We may have dif

You have some good points here, but there's one thing.

This area is very vast, and was never explored. We still don't know what live here, since it's not a plain, it's a forest with a river and lakes. We have already discovered the Okapi and the Gorilla, thanks to legends, so why not this one? There are plenty of rare animals on this planet, and it might be one. The only way we would know is to actually find it. 

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since it's so interesting. :)

Also, 9 feet for a chameleon, really? o_O Some exaggeration here, a chameleon is small, no one would have ever said it was 9 feet long xD But of course, some exaggeration migh come in consideration.

As a fan of dinos myself, this was one of the first topics I clicked on today.  Even considering that a large area is unexplored, any reports of a dinosuar living today should be treated with skepticisim. 

But there's evidence that other mythological creatures walk among us:  Guys like Andre the Giant and Shaquille O'Neal prove the existence of Bigfoot.  :)

• Brohoof 1