Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone like reading stories where evil wins?

Bendy

Does anyone like reading fan fictions where evil wins? Like an alternate universe where good had failed to stop King Sombra, who now rules of Equestria with iron hoof.

Or a story where Canterlot made a heroic last stand against a demonic army of monsters.

They can be quite upsetting, but I reading stories where where characters cry out in defiance of their fate, the feeling of loss and angry, where they spit in the enemy's face and heroically fight until the very last.

I also like stories, where good wins. But it has to be journey where there's suffering, sacrifice, blood, sweat and tears, death and an overall hopeless feel of the story. I want the evil guys to have the upper hand, and good is losing.

Edited by Rush
  • Brohoof 2

I can't say I've read any yet not reading many fan fics at all myself but personally I do enjoy a darker story where the hero/heroes/heroine fails from time to time. It can be so much more emotional and tug on the heart strings to see after all the sacrifice and strength the protagonist mustered to overcome their challenge to still not be enough and have them fail leading to either just their defeat or in more extreme cases their demise but either way the bad guy taking what he/she wants now unopposed.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... To be honest yeah as long as there isn't a gory ending. I mean in all for gore, but not when it comes to ponies. It just isn't needed.

Although when there isn't gore, the story is usually well made, and when evil wins its for a reason.

Hmmm... To be honest yeah as long as there isn't a gory ending. I mean in all for gore, but not when it comes to ponies. It just isn't needed.

Although when there isn't gore, the story is usually well made, and when evil wins its for a reason.

I'm not big fanfic reader, but published books like that always catch my attention. There's actually a surprising amount if musicals like that actually. The first one that comes to mind is Chicago, where a young lady basically gets away with murder :)

Actually, this is pretty common in Shakespearean tragedies as well :S

Edited by Grand_Finale

I like those stories, as long as there isn't gore. It's a nice take on what you think would happen if the villain wins. Interesting concept, I must say. My favorite fanfics to read about that subject are where Chrysalis wins. It always fascinates me to see what the changelings would do after their victory.

Edited by SmartyPants

I haven't really read any pony based stories were the good guys lose, but its my favourite kind of story.

It somehow connects with me and when I write the villain is always the better character, through thought out stories and personalities and everything else in between. The bad guys seem to be the better character than the good guys ever will be.

And those kind of stories can be written very well, since you have a whole range of different emotions and scenarios in which a character can be put through.

They are very good stories, I should probably start reading some mlp fics that go like that.

I myself like it when evil wins due to being quite the villain lover and if chrysalis won it would be cool to have some episodes based on building a resistance to her and eventually only the mane 6 are left to find the scattered elements and destroy her (because all villains need some victory but also sometimes need to be crushed

Kingdom Hearts has done this to death with Master Xehanort in the newer games.

Not only does it seem like he only keeps winning because the plot suddenly makes everyone else dumber and/or weaker around him, but the whole series -- not just a few games -- has even been retconned more than once just to make him look nigh-omniscient.

Edited by A.V.

I don't really read much (at all) in terms of fanfiction but I certainly don't mind the bad guys winning from time to time, especially if they're interesting characters.

I have been looking for a kind of book, TV show, movie, etc. where evil wins, but I can't find any. I'd love to read or watch something where that happens though.

Are you familiar with Stephen King?  While evil doesn't necessarily win in his stories, it's very often a bittersweet ending.  If you're into short stories, he has a pretty good collection of them called Night Shift (and several others, but I only read this one) where a number of stories end in obvious victory for evil.

There's also Game of Thrones (haven't read or seen them yet, but I have a sibling who's an avid fan) which I've heard the characters described as, "every character is a despicable human being; it's just that some are less despicable than others," so 'good' doesn't really have a chance there.

Edited by Antismurf9001

• 2 years later...

With all the tales of good always winning, I find it refreshing to see a tragedy from time to time... Lest we forget that the world is not all sunshine and rainbows.

Bad things happen to good people, sometimes evil succeeds and even though we did all we could, in the end we were truly powerless to stop what was coming. Never giving up hope can be a good attribute without a doubt, but it can also lead to foolish recklessness. Part of living in this world is knowing when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em. Not to mention, the morals in tragedies are often better than comedies because (at least in traditional writing) a tragic flaw actually leads to the protagonist's downfall, leaving a much clearer message than when the hero triumphs regardless of any mistakes they may have made along the way.

Edited by Hocus Pocus
  • Brohoof 1

I wish evil would win more often, just to keep the audience on its toes. That possibility adds an air of unpredictability in which the audience really does not know how a plot is going to end.

No, unless the antagonist is a well intentioned extremist at worst. But I like stories where the good guys have to go through tons of hardships, suffering and pain, but earning their happy endings at the end

• Brohoof 1